Sneeze Fetish Forum

Were handkerchiefs still the norm for nose blowing back in the 60s/70s?

sexyhankysneeze

I guess so, at least for men in my country. At school most boys/guys used handkerchiefs, the teachers too. Those were the days...

sexyhankysneeze
On 4/8/2020 at 6:51 AM, cjblo said:

I guess so, at least for men in my country. At school most boys/guys used handkerchiefs, the teachers too. Those were the days...

On 4/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, rhinoceros said:

I was at a boys' school in the 60s and although tissues were used, handkerchiefs were the norm, I think. I remember one friend who always had a pocketful of multicoloured tissues, which amused me. At home we didn't have tissues. I occasionally plucked up the courage to buy a packet of paper hankies (as they were mostly called) and I would get massively anxious about it because it felt so strange and so far beyond my comfort zone! It was easy to buy cotton handkerchiefs - most stores had them and devoted reasonably large areas to them. By the time I got to university though in the early seventies, my recollection is that tissues were more in favour. To some extent, of course, that would reflect the vastly improved gender balance in my world, but, as I remember oh-so-fondly, there were still girls who used cotton hankies.

Thanks guys, what decade did tissues seem to take over as most people's go to?

Hmm, well, as an expert of past decades I would say 90s, but it depends a bit where you are. In Belgium even nowadays handkerchiefs are fairly acceptable, as I guess could be said of less urban environments. Anyway: in this household tissues are out of the question...

My guess is it depends on your country. I think in mine, it depended on the situation. My mon had one as a kid and she grew up in the '50's and '60's, but my family used to be Mennonite. Not sure if that means anything, but maybe. My dad sometimes gets out the snot rag, as he calls it.

• 1 year later...

My parents both grew up in the 60s/70s and have always used handkerchiefs. In my life (grew up in the 90s/early 00s) there have always been a lot of people using tissues

My parents also grew up in the 60's and 70's and my dad uses hankies. I started using them roughly when I was about 14 or so when I used to grab one from my dad's drawer. I always use them to this prese day along with a few tissues. 

1 hour ago, Hankyrick said:

My parents also grew up in the 60's and 70's and my dad uses hankies. I started using them roughly when I was about 14 or so when I used to grab one from my dad's drawer. I always use them to this prese day along with a few tissues. 

My parents never bought tissues ever I think so there was only hankies or TP in the house to use for nose blowing

18 minutes ago, Trynasneeze said:

My parents never bought tissues ever I think so there was only hankies or TP in the house to use for nose blowing

Is that why you use TP to blow your nose with.

I find TP rough and also I'll blow holes through it so hence why I use hankies or Kleenex Balsam extra large tissues

4 hours ago, Hankyrick said:

Is that why you use TP to blow your nose with.

I find TP rough and also I'll blow holes through it so hence why I use hankies or Kleenex Balsam extra large tissues

Yeah probably, I've never really seen the need to buy boxed tissues. I just use whatever is handy. 

I did have a decent stash of hankies that I used to use whenever I had a cold but I'm not too sure what I did with them. 

2 minutes ago, Trynasneeze said:

Yeah probably, I've never really seen the need to buy boxed tissues. I just use whatever is handy. 

I did have a decent stash of hankies that I used to use whenever I had a cold but I'm not too sure what I did with them. 

Aaahhh ok, I'm all about the softness for my nose and also to stop it from getting red and sore.

Aaaaawwww thats a shame you don't know what you did with them

2 minutes ago, Hankyrick said:

Aaahhh ok, I'm all about the softness for my nose and also to stop it from getting red and sore.

Aaaaawwww thats a shame you don't know what you did with them

I do use a bandana sometimes when I have a bad cold for something a bit softer

1 minute ago, Trynasneeze said:

I do use a bandana sometimes when I have a bad cold for something a bit softer

Thats what I'm using at the moment 7f12020c-b517-4c29-aac1-5d9b23f5f1f1.jpg.de37e3c7c912908d40708cca769903c1.jpg

In the USA, as a kid in the 70s, I remember my grandfather used handkerchiefs. Seemed to be an old man thing at that point. Everyone else used tissues.

56 minutes ago, superimmunegirl said:

In the USA, as a kid in the 70s, I remember my grandfather used handkerchiefs. Seemed to be an old man thing at that point. Everyone else used tissues.

And do you use tissues nowadays?

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 1:24 AM, Hankyrick said:

And do you use tissues nowadays?

Whoops, sorry! I sometimes don't check here for a while. Yep, always tissues, sorry to say!

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 9:27 PM, superimmunegirl said:

Whoops, sorry! I sometimes don't check here for a while. Yep, always tissues, sorry to say!

Sorry to say?--why so? You don't have to use tissues if you don't want to.