Sneeze Fetish Forum

Energize (Star Trek TNG: Will Riker)

anikadicara

I've been binge-watching Star Trek during this quarantine, and this plot has been bouncing around in my head so - no time like the present!   If you haven't seen this show, I HIGHLY recommend it for the 80s cheese alone.

Will Riker stretched out on a lounge chair, determined to soak up as much heat from Septicon 5’s three suns as he possibly could in the next thirty minutes, before he was due back on the Enterprise.  Aside from one small fumble - he had laughed upon learning that the planet’s residents call themselves “Septuagenarians” - today’s negotiations had gone smoothly.  But it must have taken more energy than he’d noticed - Riker was exhausted.

Ambassador Selwyn had been enthusiastic about letting the Enterprise’s engineering team explore the planet for a week in exchange for sharing some advanced medical technology.  She expressed to Riker and counselor Troi that she looked forward to their return tomorrow, and as they walked out of the meeting Troi confided to Riker that she felt an intense excitement emanating from Selwyn as he’d shaken her hand, possibly sexual attraction.  Riker also looked forward to tomorrow’s return.

“O’Brien to Commander Riker,” chirped his communicator, and Riker jerked awake.  How long had he been out?  “Riker here,” he said hoarsely.  He swallowed; his throat felt like sandpaper.

“Commander, the Captain requests your presence in the observation lounge.  Are you ready to beam up, sir?”

“Yes, thank you.”  Riker stood up and cleared his throat.  “Energize.”

As O’Brien’s fingers skimmed across the console, Riker’s molecules shimmered apart and reassembled themselves back on the Enterprise.  He stepped off the transporter and nodded to O’Brien.  “Sorry about that, chief. Guess I dozed off for a bit.”

“It’s a beautiful planet, sir.  I hope you got some rest.”

“Thank you.”  Riker cleared his throat again as he made his way to the observation lounge.  He wondered idly if he’d been allergic to something on the planet - his throat was tingling and his limbs felt heavy, even though he’d barely moved all day.

The senior staff was already assembled in the lounge when Riker arrived; Geordi LaForge stood at the head of the table in front of a heat map of Septicon 5, talking about the planet’s energy emissions that prompted this research mission.  Riker took the empty chair next to Troi; the counselor gave him a searching look as he sat down and he gave her a small nod.  “Sorry I’m late,” he said to LaForge, who had paused.

“No problem.  I was just saying that our first mission tomorrow will be to collect rock samples in the Sorba sector, near the capital city.  The electrical emissions coming from these rocks show patterns that we’ve never seen before, and I want my team to try and harness that energy and see if we can power a more powerful warp core.”

“That makes sense, thank you Geordi.  Please continue.”  Riker cleared his throat again, and he felt Troi’s eyes on him.

LaForge detailed his plan for where exactly they’d extract the rocks, and how they’d proceed to analyze them on the ship.  Riker found himself struggling more than usual to pay attention; a low tickle had started deep in his nose and he was trying to fight it.

“Thank you LaForge,” said Captain Picard.  “Assemble your team and plan to beam down to the planet at 0-900 hours.”

“Thank you sir.”  LaForge took his seat, and Picard turned to Riker.

“Number One, anything unexpected in the negotiations?”

Riker gave what he thought was an imperceptible sniff.  “No sir, the meeting went according to plan.  Ambassador Selwyn is enthusiastic about .. the.. huh … hold on - “ Riker swiveled around in his chair and sneezed harshly into his elbow.  “HuhRUSSHHHooo!  Ugh, sorry.”  he sniffed and turned back around.  “She’s enthusiastic about the partnership, and we’ll plan to beam back down with the Doctor tomorrow.” he looked at Dr. Crusher, who nodded.

“I’m going to bring down our basic med kit and talk her through it, try to get a sense of what their biggest needs are.  I’ll ask for a tour of their medical facilities and see what they’re working with,” she said.

Riker continued.  “Counselor Troi  will accompany the doctor on that tour to make sure the information exchange goes smoothly.  We’re planning half a day, and will either continue the following day or host Ambassador Selwyn here on the Enterprise - Dr. Crusher, you’ll make that call.  While we work with the Ambassador, Geordi and his team will have free reign to continue their research.”  Geordi nodded, Riker sniffed and continued.  “Tomorrow afternoon Counselor Troi and I will tour the planet with the Ambassador at her leisure - it’ll be an opportunity for cultural exchange.  In the evening I’ll wine and dine the Ambassador, giving the Counselor a well-deserved evening off.”  He nodded at Deanna, who smiled at him - he wondered if she knew that his “wine and dine” plans ideally ended in the Ambassador’s bedroom.

“Was there any indication that the Septuagenarians are aware of their planet’s unusual energy patterns?” asked the Captain.

“Negative, Captain.  The Ambassador expressed her surprise at our interest in their planet, and seemed to bend over backward to accommodate us.”  Riker did not elaborate; the tickle in his nose had returned with a vengeance.

“The main feeling I got from her was excitement and importance,” Counselor Troi chimed in.  “She feels honored that the Federation considers her planet of scientific interest, and the initial relationship seems extremely friendly.”

The momentary break from talking gave Riker’s nose the opportunity to take over; he swiveled in his chair again and directed two loud sneezes into his elbow.  “HAASHoo!  HURIISSSHHoo!”

“Bless you, Commander,” said Troi, putting a hand on his shoulder as he remained bent over.  Riker held up a finger - he wasn’t done.

“Hhhh… ha… hhhaaRRUSSHHoo!”  The loud sneeze tore out of him, and to add insult to injury Riker felt his nose start to run.  He pinched it shut with his thumb and forefinger and surreptitiously wiped it, then straightened up to see all six of his colleagues staring at him with concern.  “I’m fine,” he said with a sniff.  

Troi rubbed his shoulder for a second before lowering her hand, and she continued assuring the captain that as long as they kept up friendly social contact and shared their medical technology, Ambassador Selwyn and the Septuagenarians would surely allow the research to proceed without any trouble.  After final check-ins with Worf (who saw no reason to send a security team to a peaceful planet like Septicon 5) and Data (who would assist Geordi and the team with sampling), the Captain ended the meeting.

Relieved, Riker stood and swiped at his nose again with the back of his hand.  As everyone else filed out he crossed the room to the replicator and said “Tissue.”  When it appeared he folded it over his nose and blew, immediately triggering a powerful “huhRISSHHoo!” that sent him staggering forward.  

A stabilizing hand on his back told Riker that Troi was still there; he straightened up, tissue still clamped to his noise, and she said softly, “Will.”

He blew his nose again into the crumpled tissue, then lowered it and said, “Deanna.”

“How are you feeling?”

Riker shrugged.  “A little run down - either I’m allergic to something on the planet or coming down with a cold.  No big deal.”

“Do you want to stop at Sick Bay?”

“I’m fine.  Really,” he said, at a look from Troi.  “I’ll turn in early tonight, a solid night’s sleep and I’m sure I’ll be okay for tomorrow.”

“Is that your expert medical opinion?” asked Troi, but without heat.  “At least let me order you some soup.”

“Deal.”  Riker and Troi set off for his quarters.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anikadicara

• aggedy_ann

• Xsneezelover3932

• fraggle

Oh my freaking goodness!  Am I dreaming or am I really seeing TNG fic with my very own two eyes?  I am so happy about this! :D  Very intrigued by your start, looking forward to seeing where you go with this if you continue!

Oh, I'm definitely continuing... plenty more to come!

Riker set out napkins and silverware and sat at the table as Troi stood in front of his replicator, making demands.  “Chicken noodle soup.  Lwaxana salad.  Chocolate sundae.”  She carried the tray over to the table, placing the bowl and plate in front of Riker and pulling the sundae toward her.  Riker looked down at the colorful plate. 

“I know chicken noodle soup - an Earth classic - but what’s this?”

“My mother’s special salad, I gave the recipe to the ship’s computer a few years ago.  She may be difficult, but my mother does know --”

Riker had pushed away from the table and bent to the side, burying his face in his elbow.  “hhuhRUSHoo!  Hhh… huhRISHHoo!  God, sorry.” he brought his napkin to his face and wiped his nose, sitting back up.

“Bless you.  I was saying, my mother knows how to eat healthy.  This salad has zacha leaves and lemongrass and ginger - it’ll help you feel better.”

“Not as much as that ice cream would.”  

“Your body needs to heal, Will,” said Deanna.  “So it’s soup and salad tonight.  Just try it.”

“I don’t feel that bad, really,” said Riker, stabbing some leaves on his fork.  “I sound worse than I feel.”

“Well, let’s keep it that way.” Troi dug into her sundae.  Riker looked on with jealousy, but as he ate he had to admit that the salad wasn’t bad, and the chicken soup felt amazing on his sandpapery throat.  He and Troi chatted comfortably about the beauty of Septicon 5 and speculated about what the Engineering team would find there, and Riker was having a good time despite his increasing awareness of his nose.

The steamy soup was causing a steady trickle that - despite his best efforts to sniff it back - was getting harder and harder to contain.  Eventually Riker felt it actually leak onto his upper lip; embarrassed, he turned around and blew his nose lightly into the cloth napkin.  This apparently only irritated him more, and he almost immediately crashed into the napkin with a loud “iiisSSHH!  HISHoo!”  He blew his nose again, a bit harder, and apologized once again as he sat back up.  “Sorry.  Excuse me.”

“It’s okay, Will.  Bless you,” she gave him a small smile and put her hand on top of his, but he quickly drew it away and buried his nose back into the napkin. 

“huhRUSSHHHoo!  RUSHoo! Ha… huh… hhh.. hhhhUUUCHHOOO!  Hhhh….  Huh….” Riker heard the scraping of Troi’s chair but he couldn’t look up - his eyes were squeezed shut as he tried to coax out yet another sneeze.  “Ha… huhh… haa…” he tipped his head back, feeling the overhead light hit his closed eyelids.  “Haa… hhhaaaAARUSHHOOoo!”   Winded, Riker rested his elbows on his knees for a moment, napkin still pressed to his face, until he felt Troi touch his forearm.

“Here.”  He reached out to accept a handful of fresh tissues from her.

“Thanks.”  Riker gave his nose a hard blow, and straightened up to see Troi standing next to him, looking down in concern.  “Don’t look at me like I’m dying.  It’s a cold.”

Troi set a full box of tissues down on the table in front of him.  “I know you’re not dying.  But you do need to take care of yourself.  How about you get into bed, and I’ll reheat the rest of this tea?”

Riker sighed in defeat.  “That actually sounds great.”  He pulled a tissue from the box and blew his nose again, then stood up to start clearing away the remnants of their dinner.

“I’ve got this, Will.  Get into bed.”

“I’m at least cleaning up my used tissues,” he said. “Even if you’re immune to human viruses, I’m not making you touch those.”  She patted back in a quick thanks as he dumped the tissues in the trash, then made for the bathroom to put on a robe and clean himself up for bed.  As he brushed his teeth he heard the clinking of dishes and Troi softly singing to herself, and realized that - despite his impending cold - this was one of the best evenings he’d had in a while.

When Riker emerged wrapped in his favorite silk bathrobe, Deanna had arranged a fresh cup of tea, a glass of water, and the box of tissues on his bedside table.  “You didn’t have to do that,” he told her, gesturing at the setup.  “I know how to take care of myself.”

“I know you do, but this is what friends do.  Lie down, Will.”  

“If you insist,” he said, cocking an eyebrow in mock flirtation, but as he pulled the blankets back he swung to the side and directed a sudden “huhCHHH!” into his fist.

“Bless you,” said Troi, and handed him a tissue.

“How sexy am I?” said Riker as he wrapped it around his nose, blowing softly and sinking into bed.  Not a moment later he crashed forward with another “Huh… huhCHHSHhoo! Ugh.”  He grabbed a fresh tissue and blew his nose again, then threw the balled-up tissues across the room where they landed easily in the trashcan.  “Three points.  I still got it.”

“Mm,” said Troi, pressing her hand to his forehead.  “No fever.”

“I’m really okay, Deanna.”

“I know.  Get a good night’s sleep, I’ll see you down on the planet.”

“You bet.”  Riker settled back into the pillows and closed his eyes, as Troi dimmed the lights and headed for the door.  “Deanna?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks.”

He could feel her smile, even in the dark.  “You’re welcome, Will.”

It's been a while since I watched the whole of this (Netflix through THE MAIL *gasp*) but I am truly enjoying your story!

It felt like his head had just hit the pillow when Riker’s alarm blared; he groaned as he pushed himself up to a seat and his muscles screamed in protest.  Momentarily forgetting his predicament Riker tried to take a long breath through his nose - which was not only unsuccessful, but left him bending forward with a harsh and uncovered “hutCCCHHH!!”

Thankfully the sneeze roused him from sleep enough to remember the box of tissues Troi had placed by his bed; he blew his nose as best he could and ran his hands over his face.  It was time to pull himself together.

Riker swung his legs to the side of the bed and stood up slowly, rubbing his eyes.  He took a drink of water from the glass Troi had left and cleared his throat.  “Hello,” he said to nobody, relieved to hear that his voice sounded mostly normal, if slightly deeper than usual.

He set the shower as hot as it would go and let the steam work its way through his head as he washed his hair, rinsing away the soap just as his breath started to hitch.  Bracing one hand on the tiled wall for stability he bent forward with unrestrained sneezes, letting the congestion wash away with the water.  “HuRUUSSHOO!  USHoo!  USHoo!  huhCHHHooo!  hutCHHH!”  He sniffled; his nose was a faucet but felt much less blocked.  

Riker turned off the tap and wrapped himself in a fluffy towel, then went straight for the toilet paper.  He pulled sheet after sheet, blowing the loosened congestion from his nose in a seemingly endless flow.  Eventually, slightly breathless, he took a tentative sniff.  Not perfect, but he could breathe.

Riker pulled on his uniform and combed his hair, feeling significantly more human.  He ate some toast and drank a tall glass of orange juice, blew his nose one last time for good measure, then set off for the bridge.

“Morning, Number One,” Picard greeted him. 

“Captain,” Riker nodded at him.  “You’re relieved, Commander Data.”

“Thank you sir,” said Data.  “I will go assist Geordi as we assemble our away team.”

“See you down there.”  Riker took his seat.  “Any communications from the planet?”

“Just a morning greeting,” replied Picard.  “Ambassador Selwyn sends her regards, I take it you got on well?”

“She’s an admirable woman,” said Riker with a small sniff, “I look forward to getting to know her better.”

Picard shot him a knowing look.  “I got the feeling she’s thinking the same thing, Number One.”  Riker grinned.

“Leutenant Worf,” said the Captain, “Do we have a security team assembled for Commander LaForge’s away team?”

“Aye, Captain. They are assembling in Transporter Bay 2 in one hour.”

“Excellent.”

There were some comfortable moments of silence as the Bridge crew settled into a new shift; the only sounds as the crew worked were the beeping of consoles, the low hum of the engines, and Riker’s increasing sniffles.

As he walked over to the Engineering console to get a look at Septicon 5’s latest scans, Riker felt an all-too-familiar prickle.  His breath hitched, and he bent into his elbow with a loud “huhRUSSHHoo!”

Worf spun around, his hand on his phaser as his security instincts kicked in.  Riker straightened up and raised an eyebrow at him.

“Just a sneeze, Lieutenant.  No need to shoot me.”

“I will not, sir,” said Worf.  “You sneeze like a Klingon.”

“Thank you?” Riker swiped at his nose with the back of his hand, wincing as he felt moisture there.

“A strong sneeze is the sign of a bold warrior,” Worf supplied.

“Well, then I guess…. I’m … I’m…. huh… ha … HA!  HAARUSHHOO!” Riker crashed into his elbow again. “I guess I’b feelig extra bold today.”  He tried to sniffle, but found that the congestion from this morning had returned with a vengeance.  He needed tissues.

“Captaid, bay I excuse byself to your ready roob?” he asked, one hand over his nose. “I deed a tissue.”

“Of course, Number One.”  Riker felt the captain’s eyes on him as he made his way across the bridge, but he did not stop.  Upon entering the ready room he made straight for the Captain’s replicator.

“Box of kleedex,” he said to the computer.

“Unable to comply.  Please specify product for replication.”

“Kleedex.”  Riker sniffed.  “Kleedex.”  No luck; the computer could not understand him.  “Box of tissues.”

They finally appeared, and Riker greedily pulled a few and blew his nose loudly.  He could breathe again, but his nose felt heavy - he knew he’d only bought himself a few minutes of relief.  Grabbing the full box out of the replicator, Riker threw away his used tissues and returned to the bridge.

He sat back in his chair, depositing the tissues on the armrest, and the Captain looked at him with concern.  “Are you all right, Number One?”

“I’m fine.  Got a bit of a cold.”

“You didn’t seem well at the staff meeting yesterday, would you like to report to sickbay?”

“No thank you, Captain,” said Riker.  “I feel perfectly up for performing my duties.”  An ill-timed itch blossomed in his nose, and he pulled a tissue from the box and crashed into it.  “huhRUSSHHoo! haRUSSHH!”  He blew his nose then looked over the tissue at the Captain, who was frowning at him.  “Really, I’m fine.”

“You seem it,” said the Captain. 

Riker rolled his eyes, sniffed, and deposited the used tissue in his lap, settling in for a long morning of work.

“This is the area we’re focusing on,” said Lieutenant Gomez, indicating a deep purple section of the heat map on the bridge's engineering console.  Riker stood next to her, one arm leaning on the console and the other massaging his neck, balled-up tissue in hand.  “It’s got the most unusual energy pattern, it seems to emanate from just meters below the surface in randomly scattered pockets.”  

“Highly unusual,” Riker agreed, sniffling and swiping the tissue across his nose. “Any magnetic activity?”

“Negative,” said Gomez.  “That’s part of what’s so strange - the only indication that the energy is there at all comes from photon vibrations picked up by the ship’s sensors.  We don’t see any magnetism, heat centers, sound waves, nothing.”

Riker sniffed loudly.  “Have we che -- check… huhRISHHooo!  RISHHuhh!”” Gomez jumped at the noise, and Riker pinched his nose with the used tissue.  “Have we checked the full-randge therbal sensors?”

“Nothing,” replied Gomez, holding eye contact with Riker as he walked back to his chair, grabbed a fresh tissue, and blew his nose.  “If we hadn’t just calibrated our photon sensors last week I’d think they were lying.”

“Run another diagnostic - we may as well cover our bases before we go too far chasing … ghost en… energy.  hurrATCHOO!”

“Aye, sir.”  Gomez turned back to her console, typing instructions as Riker continued to sneeze, pulling more tissues from his box.

“HUTCHoo!  hurACHOO!  USHHoo! USHHOo!  Huh… hurUSHHoo!  hurUSHHH!”

With a thick sniffle Riker looked down at his chair, where a mound of used tissues had slowly accumulated over the last couple of hours. “We really deed a trash cad od this bridge,” he said to the captain, before blowing his nose again and adding to the pile.

Picard raised his eyebrows.  “We really need our officers to report to work only when they’re healthy.”

“I’m fine, sir.”

“You don’t sound fine.” said Picard.  

“I’ll be fine.”  Riker scooped up the used tissues and crossed the bridge to the captain’s ready room, depositing them in the trash can.  He stepped back out only to find himself face-to-face with Picard.

“A word, Number One.”  Riker stepped back into the ready room and the captain followed.  “You’re putting on quite a display out there,” said Picard, gesturing for Riker to sit down.

“I’m sorry, sir.  But I assure you it’s just a cold.”

“Even so, I can’t have you infecting my entire crew.”  Picard leaned against his desk, looking down at Riker and folding his arms.  “And I need you in top shape for the diplomatic mission.”

Riker, both amused and frustrated by his body’s timing, dipped to the side with an ear-splitting “huhRAATCHHHoo!”

“Bless you, Number One,” said Picard, his voice softer.

Riker sniffed.  “Thank you.  Excuse be.”

Picard went over to the replicator.  “Tea.  Earl grey.  Hot,” he ordered, and brought the tea over to Riker.

“Thadk you.’ Riker sniffled, wiping his nose on the back of his hand and accepting the cup.  “Bind if I go get by tissues?”

Picard reached under his desk and pulled out a box.

“Thangks.”  Riker pulled one out with his free hand, blew his nose loudly, and took a sip of the tea.  “I’m sorry, Captain.”

“Don’t apologize.  Rest,” said Picard, depositing the box of tissues on his desk within Riker's reach.  “You’re not due on the planet until 1300 hours.  Why don’t you take the tea back to your quarters and lie down until you’re needed?”

“Due respect sir, my shift isn’t over and I’m needed here.”

“Due respect Number One, you aren’t,” said the captain.  “We’re setting protocols to scout the planet and collect samples for Engineering.  The bridge crew is perfectly capable of handling that without you.”

Riker took a sip of his tea to stall.  The hot liquid soothed his throat, but it also made his nose run.  He took another couple of quick sips then leaned past the captain to set the cup down on the desk, pulled a couple of tissues, and blew his nose.  

“Huh….” the blowing had ignited a tickle.  “Hahh… hhh… hhhhhuuh…” Riker could feel the captain’s eyes on him, judging, as he held the tissues over his nose and tipped his head back.  “Hhh…  hUHH!  HA!  Hhh…” the tickle backed off and Riker shook his head, grinning sheepishly at the captain.  “Lost it.”  he blew his nose again, then with no warning lurched forward with a huge “haRUSHHHoo!”

“Bless you,” said the captain, but Riker wasn’t done. 

“Haa.. haRUSHH!  haRUSHH! huhRUSHHOo!  Huh… huhKTCHHH!”  Keeping his head buried, Riker’s hand reached for the tissues and knocked the box to the floor.  Picard recovered them and pressed a few into Riker’s hand, who gratefully blew his nose and finally looked up.

“Your quarters, Commander,” said the Captain.  “That’s an order.”

Edited by anikadicara

Riker sank onto his bed, massaging his face and pulling up the Septicon 5 briefing book on his PADD.  He was frustrated by his dismissal from the bridge, but had to admit that he’d come down with a full-blown cold and was feeling less than 100%. Maybe the Captain was right.  The most important thing was that he could compose himself enough to entertain Ambassador Selwyn this afternoon, and a little rest might do him good.

Sniffling, Riker blew his nose and scrolled through a section on Septicon 5’s political history.  A relatively young democracy, the planet was composed of the capital city Syfardi and regions called “slices”, each slice responsible for production of one of the planet’s vital resources.  Septicon 5 exported food to many surrounding planets in their star system; their produce was renowned for its rich flavor and dense nutrients. 

He searched for the Sorba sector, the slice where Geordi and his engineering team were currently collecting samples.  Directing a couple of sneezes over his shoulder, Riker blew his nose impatiently and read that Sorba was responsible for providing the planet’s metals and sheetrock; the main component of the terrain was a strong rock similar in appearance to Earth’s slate, out of which most of Septicon’s buildings were constructed.  Sorba’s estimated population was between 500 and 1000 people, all of whom either became miners or moved away from home to another slice.

Riker wondered where Ambassador Selwyn was going to take him this afternoon.  He read a section about Solarys, the solar energy collection slice known for “sun fields” where tourists lay flat on soft grass and let the planet’s 3 suns wash over them as a spa treatment.  Riker was rooting hard for that one.  He lay back against his pillows, imagining the feeling of three suns washing over him, and before he knew it his communicator was chirping.

“O’brien to Commander Riker.”

Riker jerked awake and cleared his throat.  “Go ahead.”

“Sir, you are due to beam down to the surface.  Please report to Transporter Room 2 when you’re ready.”

“Thadk you, Chief.  I’ll be there in five”  Riker ran a hand over his face.  He couldn’t believe this was the second time in two days he’d overslept a transport - he had to pull it together. 

Grabbing a handful of tissues Riker blew his nose forcefully, then went to the sink and ran some water over his face.  He brushed his teeth, combed his hair, and blew his nose again.  Damn Starfleet uniforms for not including pockets - how was he supposed to get through the rest of the day without replicator tissues?  He cast his eyes around the bathroom and settled on a small hand towel, which he tucked up his sleeve.  Not ideal, but it would work.

“Commander,” Chief O’Brien greeted Riker as he entered the transporter room.

“Thanks for the second wake-up call in two days, O’Brien,” said Riker, nodding at the engineer.

O’Brien looked at the clock on his console.  “I’m sorry, sir.  I didn’t realize you’d be asleep at 1300 hours.”

Riker shook his head and gave O’Brien a reassuring smile.  “I’m glad you woke me.  You potentially saved a diplomatic relationship, I wouldn’t want to stand up the Ambassador.”

“Glad I could help.”  O’Brien entered coordinates into his console as Riker stepped up to the platform.  “Ready, sir?”

“Hold on.”  Riker reached into his sleeve and pulled out the hand towel, lurching forward with an ear-splitting “huhhrrATCHHHoo!”

“Bless you, sir,” said O’Brien, looking over at Riker with concern.  “You okay?”

Riker gave his nose a quick blow and a swipe, then bunched the towel back up his sleeve.  “I’ve got a cold,” he said.  “Nothing that Septicon’s three suns shouldn’t be able to fix.”

“Sorry, sir,” said O’Brien, giving Riker a sympathetic look.  “Hard luck.”  

“I’m okay now.  Energize.”

It seemed that Riker had spoken too soon.  As he slowly shimmered away, O’Brien caught his face whipping into his elbow with what he assumed was another sneeze.

Oh man, this has some great moments!! I love the way you had Riker sneezing into his elbow at the very end, when he’s beaming down. And the whole not knowing what to do about tissues thing! This is great.

This is pure gold!!!! A sneezy Riker, yes please! I’ve only had a crush on him since like 2nd grade... 1992-ish. Star Trek: TNG was one of my first tv show loves. And Riker and Troi were the first couple I shipped. Please keep going- this is so good!!!! 

As Commander Riker re-materialized in the lobby of Syfardi’s main hospital, Doctor Crusher, Counselor Troi, and Ambassador Selwyn looked on in surprise.  Instead of standing at attention, the way Starfleet protocol commands, Riker’s flickering form was bent over with his face hidden in his elbow.  The doctor and counselor had a few seconds to send each other concerned looks before Riker fully appeared, and a huge “SHHHOOOooo!” erupted from him.  He staggered, straightened up, ran the back of his hand across his nose, and said “Sorry, Ambassador.  I like to bake a drabatic endtrance.”  He pulled the towel out of his sleeve, twisted away from the group, and gave his nose a quick hard blow.  

“You’re ill, Commander,” said Troi.  It was not a question.

“Just a cold.  I feel perfectly fine,” he tried to reassure her, tucking the towel back out of sight.  “I feel ready to see this beautiful planet, in even more beautiful company.”  He nodded to the Ambassador and gave her a warm smile.

“Welcome, Commander Riker.  It’s a pleasure to see you again,” she said, holding out a hand.  Riker took it; Doctor Crusher gave him a stern look over the Ambassador’s shoulder but said nothing.

“Did you have a productive morning?” he asked the Ambassador.

“It was brilliant!  Doctor Crusher was just walking me through your tricorder technology, really a marvel to be able to store and access so much information instantaneously.  A patient’s medical history just at the tip of your fingers,” she said, enthusiastically snapping her fingers in Riker’s face at the world “tip”.  “The doctor was very generous with her time.”

“It was my pleasure,” said Doctor Crusher, shaking the Ambassador’s hand.  “And now this is where I leave you.  I’ve left you some manuals on the tricorder, and I’m thinking tomorrow we can take a closer look at biobeds.  Theirs are fascinating,” she said, turning to Riker.  “Harnessed vibrational energy transmitted directly into the patient.”  To the Ambassador she said “and I think you’ll be interested in our console scanners, it’s tricorder technology integrated into the biobed.”

“I’m looking forward to it, Doctor.”

Doctor Crusher tapped her communicator.  “Crusher to Enterprise, one to beam up.”

As she beamed away from them, Ambassador Selwyn turned to Riker.

“You’re in for a treat, Commander.  The Counselor was telling me about your passion for music--”

“Was she?” said Riker, raising an eyebrow at Troi.

Troi shrugged.  “It came up.”

“Well, I have the perfect place to show you this afternoon,” she said, poking Riker’s arm playfully but a little too hard.  “Come on!”  She turned on her heel, gesturing for Riker and Troy to follow her, and took off.  They glanced at each other with raised eyebrows, then followed the Ambassador out of the hospital and into a waiting hovercraft.  .

“May I ask where we’re going, Ambassador?” asked Riker, as he took a seat next to Troi and across from Selwyn.

“Up,” she said simply.

The hovercraft shot suddenly into the air, at such great speed that Troi gripped Riker’s elbow in alarm.

“Sorry,” laughed Selwyn.  “I guess I should’ve warned you - although having beamed down from a starship I would’ve assumed you were ready for that.”

“Our acceleration’s a little more subtle,” said Riker, thumbing at his nose and leaning toward the window, watching the ground fly underneath them.

“We’re zipping over to the Soneya slice,” said Selwyn.  “I’m not going to spoil the surprise, but if you’re as musically inclined as the Counselor says, you’re gonna love it.”

“I’m … intrigued.”  Riker’s breath was hitching; he pulled the towel out of his sleeve and crashed into it with an earsplitting ‘huhRUSSHHOoo!”

“Bless you,” said Troi, putting a warm hand on his knee.

“Th.. thanks… huhRUSHHoo!  hhRUSSHHooo!  God, sorry,” he apologized, blowing his nose.

“Bless you again,” Troi squeezed his knee.

“Thank you.”  Riker returned the towel to his sleeve and turned to the Ambassador.  “Your planet is beautiful,” he observed, indicating the sparkling blue water below, spotted with green and purple forests.

“Thank you,” said Selwyn.  “We may not be as technologically advanced as your culture, but we make up for it in raw beauty.”

“I’d say so,” said Riker, giving her his trademark playboy smile but accidentally punctuating it with a sniff.

The hovercraft plummeted without warning; Troi’s hand returned to Riker’s elbow in a vicegrip, while the Ambassador looked unfazed.  Riker’s stomach jumped into his throat; he inhaled sharply with surprise and his nose rebelled instantly.

“huhSHHHh!  huhRUSHHoo!”  He pulled the towel back out of his sleeve, noticing that it was wetter than he’d have liked, and reluctantly swiped at his nose as they tapped to the ground in a forest clearing.

Love this! So glad more people are posting Star Trek fics 😂👍🏻

🤩 Riker and with Troi watching and caring. And Picard. So much stubborn arrogance, but I guess that fits him pretty well. Love your creativity in coming up with a full planet of background.

Ambassador Selwyn jumped out of the hovercraft, then stretched a hand out to Riker.  He was occupied blowing his nose, so he offered her his elbow instead and let her support him as he climbed out.  When he lifted his head, his whole body felt tingly and his ears were humming; maybe his cold was worse than he’d thought.  He sniffled, keeping the towel in hand, and tried to regain his equilibrium as Troi stepped down beside him.

“What is it?” Troi asked Selwyn in wonder, bending down and placing a hand on the ground.  “What’s making it shake?”

So the tingling wasn’t Riker’s congestion after all.

“It’s the natural vibrations of Soneya.  Listen,” said Selwyn, and as they stood in silence Riker could hear that the hum was changing in pitch and frequency, like a song emanating from the ground itself.

“It’s incredible,” whispered Troi in wonder.  

“Fascinating,” agreed Riker, kneeling down and placing his hand on a large boulder.  He could feel it pulsing, and a low hum was emanating from it, mixing with the sounds and vibrations of the surrounding forest.  “What’s causing it?”

“Nobody knows,” said Selwyn, watching their reactions with pride.  “But we know that the sounds of Soneya attract visitors from all over the planet; it’s a popular destination for musicians and for people just looking to relax.  And some people think the vibrations have healing properties, which maybe you could use right about now,” she said to Riker, who was pulling his towel out of his sleeve.

“Huh… huhRUSSHHooo!” he sniffed, and gave Selwyn a sheepish grin. “Couldn’’t hurt.”

Selwyn crouched down on the ground next to Riker, placing a hand on his chest.  “Lie down,” she instructed.  He raised an eyebrow but complied, resting his head on the mossy ground beside the boulder.  “Now, close your eyes,” she said.  “Feel the sound in your body.”

It wasn’t hard; Riker found that his whole body was filled with the low hums emanating from the forest.  It was like getting a massage, but from the inside out.  He could feel the sound shaking through his feet, pulsing in his stomach, waving through his throat and into his head.  His ears tingled pleasantly.  He could feel the pressure of Selwyn’s hand, which hadn’t left his chest.  And the buzzing of his nose.  Too much buzzing.

Riker tried to sit up, but Selwyn’s hand held him in place.  So he settled for turning his head sharply and letting loose a set of wrenching sneezes.  “huhRUTCHHooo!  huTCHHH!  huTCHHH!  huhRASHOO!  Ugh, I’b so sorry,” said Riker as Selwyn finally pulled back.  She watched him as he sat up and miserably blew his nose into his towel.

“Are you done, Commander?” she asked him.

“Yes, sorry,” said Riker, running a hand over his face.  “The vibrations got to my head, is all.”

“Lie back down,” she said, and pressed him back to the ground.  “Close your eyes.  Listen to the music, let your mind leave your body.”

Easier said than done, thought Riker.  As soon as he tipped his head back he could feel the ground’s vibrations pulsing through his head.  It was not altogether unpleasant, but it filled him with such an intense tickle that he had no choice but to twist away from Selwyn again with another harsh “huhRUTTCHhhhoo!” into the towel he still held in his hand.  “Sorry,” he sniffed, and lay his head back on the ground.

“Shhh,” said Selwyn, keeping her hand pressed to his chest.  “It’s no problem, Commander.”

“It’s a bit of a … problem... for…. CHHHH!  hatCHHH!  CHHShhhh! Huh… hutCHHHSHHooo!  God,” moaned Riker from behind the towel, still lying on the ground and twisting away from Selwyn.  “Huhh… huh.. huRUSHHHOoo!  rusSSSHHH!  russSSHHHH!  huhSHHHHOO! Huh…. ha… haaaRRRAATTCHHHooo!” he felt Selwyn release him; with great effort he struggled to sit up while still bobbing forward with desperate sneezes.  “hutCHHH!  hutCHHH!  huhttCHSHooo!  Huh… huuuhhh… huhhhRRUUUSHHHOOOO!” he took a deep breath as he felt the tickle finally back off.  There was silence, other than the low musical hum of the forest.  Riker leaned against the boulder beside him.

“Commander,” he heard Troi say softly, then felt her warm hand on his shoulder.  “I think you need to go back to the ship.”

Riker blew his nose hard; his towel was sopping wet, so he was reduced to swiping at his nose with his sleeve after he lowered it.  “I think you’re right,” he sighed in defeat.  “But I was looking forward to spending the evening with the Ambassador.”   He nodded toward Selwyn, who was considering him thoughtfully.

“You know,” said Selwyn, “I do have a rather comfortable home only a short ride away.  I quite understand if you’re not up for touring Soneya today, but I hope you’ll be willing to join me for a bit of afternoon tea?” she said hopefully.

“You don’t mind that I’m a sneezing mess?” Riker asked her, hardly daring to believe the invite.

“Not in the slightest.”

“Well, it’s decided then,” said Riker with a sniff, getting to his feet.  “Lead the way, Ambassador.”

“Excellent.”  Selwyn climbed back into the hovercraft.  Riker made to follow her, but Troi touched his arm.

“Will.”  He paused.  “You don’t have to do this,” she said, her eyes wide with sympathy.  “You’re feeling sick.”

“I’ll be fine,” said Riker.  “She’s requesting it.  It’s diplomacy.”

“Diplomacy will still be here tomorrow.”

“I’ll be fine,” he repeated, starting toward the hovercraft again.  “It’s just an afternoon.”

“All right.  But promise to come back if you feel worse.”

“Deal.”  Riker climbed into the hovercraft, Troi’s hand on his lower back.  He braced for another wild ride.

Edited by anikadicara

So good!! This story is amazing!! I just love the concern Troi is showing him!!  Can’t wait to read more!! 

Love it!! And the dialogue is just so fitting to the characters, I can practically hear Riker and Troi!

“You have a beautiful home,” said Riker, standing in Selwyn’s foyer and taking in the colorful plants snaking up the banister, the green marble floor, and the domed stained glass skylight that splashed patches of colored light around the place like a large disco ball.
“Thank you,” said Selwyn.  “Can I offer you some citrus tea?  It’s one of our most popular exports, the fruit is picked right outside in the garden.”

“That sounds great,” said Riker, following Selwyn into the airy kitchen.  He took a seat on a counter stool and watched as Selwyn spooned some dried fruit out of a jar into two teabags.  She asked the replicator for two mugs of hot water, dipped the teabags in them, and pushed one across the counter to Riker.  

“This is one of my favorite smells in the world,” said Selwyn, taking the seat next to Riker and bringing the cup to her nose.

“I’m afraid I can’t smell much at the moment,” he replied, then took a sip. “But it tastes delicious. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Commander,” said Selwyn.  She set her tea down.  “So.  Tell me what your crew is really doing here on Sepicon 5.”

“I’m sorry?”

“We almost never get visitors from outside the galaxy, let alone the lead research vessel from Starfleet.  Did you really just get an urge to share your medical technology out of goodwill, or is there something we can do for you?”

“Our engineering team is curious about the edergy patterns on your pladet, we’re interested in hardessing it-” he sniffed hard, trying to clear his voice of the creeping congestion - “to see if we can increase our warp power, among other thidgs.”

“You did mention that yesterday,” said Selwyn.  “That’s why your Engineering team is digging around in Sorba right now, correct?”

“Yes,” said Riker.  He took out his towel and blew his nose.  “I promise that’s our full mission - we have no ulterior motive.”

“I didn’t suspect one,” said Selwyn.  “I’m just surprised that our energy is so interesting to you; we may take it for granted here.”

“I think you must,” said Riker, smiling at her.  “It’s really unbelievable, how much energy is emanating from this planet.  And we have not been able to determine the source.”

“What makes you think there’s a source, Commander?” asked Selwyn.  “Our energy is just part of our world.  It’s what is,” she said, spreading her arms wide as if to show off the whole world.

“Well, we’re scientists.  Asking these questions is what we … do… huhRUSHH!  Excuse be.” Riker wasn’t sure the towel was helping him anymore; he blew his nose into its soaked folds while trying not to rub its contents all over his face.  Disgusting.  “I hope it isn’t bothering you?”

“Your questions or your sneezing?” asked Selwyn.

“My questions,” he said, with a rueful smile.  “But I apologize about the sneezing.”

“It’s quite alright,” Selwyn said dismissively.  “As for your questions, feel free to try and find the source of our planet’s energy.  But I’m afraid you’ll find that it’s just our planet.  Probably not something that Starfleet can harness for itself.”

“Well, we can at least try and learn from it,” said Riker, rubbing his eyes.  He could feel the beginnings of a sinus headache coming on.  “Anyway, we’ll do our best to minimize the inconvenience to you.  And I hope our technology exchange will be adequate payment.”

“Oh, quite.”  Selwyn eyed him over her teacup.  “You know, Commander, your company is adequate payment as well.  

“My company?”

“You’re a very attractive man.”

“You should see me … when I don’t have a cold… huRUSHHo!  huhRUSSSHooo!  Sorry.”

Selwyn rose wordlessly, went over to a cabinet, and pulled out a stack of napkins.  She deposited them in front of Riker, who took one gratefully and blew his nose.

“Thank you.”

“It’s no problem, Commander.”

“You have to admit it’s not the best diplomacy, cutting an afternoon of sightseeing short, accepting an invite for tea and then being such a sneezing mess that I can barely hold a conversation,” said Riker, jokingly but in a voice that revealed a rare note of insecurity.

“We don’t have to hold a conversation to spend time together, Commander,” said Selwyn.  She said this so matter-of-factly that Riker did not register her meaning for a moment.

“Oh?”

“How about we tour my master suite?”

“Is that a euphemism?”

“Only if you want it to be.”  Riker and Selwyn stared at each other for a moment, each sizing the other up.

“Lead the way.”

“Welcome back, Commander,” Chief O’Brien greeted him.

Riker gave him a halfhearted wave.  He was completely exhausted; Selwyn had been an enthusiastic and relentless partner.  She’d moved as if all the energy of Septicon 5 was pulsing through her body, unphased by his intermittent sneezing and the disgusting state of his nose.  He’d been aware that, if it weren’t for his body’s protests, he’d have been having the time of his life - but this was just not his day.  It had taken every ounce of his energy just to participate, and to make sure that Selwyn did not feel let down.  Given her passionate send-off kiss - which he’d had to break away from due to a complete inability to breathe - he had at least been successful in that area.

“Still feeling sick?” asked O’Brien, taking in Riker’s reddened nose and drained appearance.

“Apparently six hours of diplomacy isn’t the best thing for a cold,” said Riker ruefully.

“Diplomacy,” echoed O’Brien with a smirk.

“What?”

“Nothing, sir.”

“What is it?”

“Permission to speak freely, sir?”

“Of course.”

“You’ve got lipstick on your face.”

“Ah,” Riker smiled, “well, diplomacy takes many forms.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Goodnight, Chief.”  said Riker, laughing.  He set out for his quarters, hoping for rest at last.

He was just getting changed into pajamas when his communicator trilled.  “Troi to Commander Riker.”

“Riker here.”

“I saw that you’re back on board, do you have time for a nightcap?”

Riker considered.  He was exhausted, but the sound of Deanna’s voice cheered him.  It’d be worth it.  “Always.  But do you mind coming to my quarters?  I’m beat.”

“Of course.  I’ll be there in five.”

Riker finished changing, washed his face free of lipstick, and ordered two hot chocolates from the replicator.  Halfway to the table he set them down on the floor, then crashed into his hands with a loud “UUUSHHooo!  huhRUSHHOo!”  His door chirped.  “Cobe id.”

Troi stepped into Riker’s quarters to find him doubled over, hands over his face, two steaming mugs of hot chocolate sitting next to him on the floor.  Assessing the situation, she immediately crossed the room and retrieved the tissue box from his bedside table, pulling a few and handing them to Riker.  “Here.”

“Thadks.”  She rubbed his back as he blew his nose.  “Sorry.  Hi.”

“Hi.  How are you feeling?” she asked him as he straightened up.

“Sick,” he answered honestly.  “But Selwyn’s appeased, for the moment.”

“Turned on the charm for her?”

“You could say that.”  Riker picked up the hot chocolates and handed one to Troi, who passed him the box of tissues in return.   “She’s a strange woman.” said Riker as he and Troi took seats at his table.  He pulled more tissues and swiped at his nose as he sipped his hot chocolate.

“How do you mean?”

“She’s got this energy.  More physical energy than any woman I’ve ever encountered.”

“Is that so?”  Something in Troi’s face let on that she knew exactly in what context he was talking about.  “Are you sure it’s not just that your own energy levels are lower than you’re accustomed to?”

Riker sniffled.  “That’s true,” he admitted, “but this was something else.  Something alien.  Like the energy of the planet is somehow inside her.”

“Well, that very well may be.  We don’t yet understand the full effects of their planet’s energy.”

“But she’s also missing something.  When I was with her, talking to her, it felt like we were just - missing.  She wasn’t entirely hearing me, or understanding me, or I wasn’t understanding her.”

“How do you mean?”

“Well, she was very - literal.  Transactional.  She didn’t seem to understand why we’d want to study the planet for research’s sake.  She assumed we must want the energy for something.  For some practical use that we weren’t telling her.”

“Is that what she thinks?”

“I told her it’s just scientific interest, but I got the feeling she wasn’t always hearing me.”

“Did she argue with you?”

“No, it was more dis… dismissive… haRUTCHHoo!  RUTCHHoo!  Excuse be.” Riker plucked a tissue from the box and blew his nose.  “She acted that way about my cold, too.”

“Dismissive?”

“Like she barely even noticed it.”

“I noticed that when we were in Soneya, actually,” said Troi.  “She didn’t seem concerned about you at all.  When she insisted that you come back to her house instead of getting rest, I wondered if she had an ulterior motive.”

“She did,” said Riker, with a rueful grin.  “Which was surprising, since I can’t imagine I’m all that attractive right now.”  He gave a wet sniff for emphasis.  Troi passed him a tissue.  “Thanks.”

“You’re plenty attractive,” said Troi with a smile, “But I would’ve expected an Ambassador to have more compassion.  More empathy.” she winced at the sound of Riker blowing his nose. “You really don’t sound good, you know.”

“I don’t feel good.”

Troi stood up and put an arm around Riker’s shoulders.  “Why don’t you get some rest?  I’ve intruded on your evening long enough.”

“You don’t have to .. huhRUTCHoo!” to leave od by.. huhRUUUSHHoo! Od by accoudt.”  

Troi used her free hand to pass Riker yet another tissue.

“You need sleep.  And I’m feeling pretty tired myself,” she said, rubbing Riker’s back as he blew his nose.  “We’ve got the day off from Ambassador duty tomorrow, she’s spending the day studying our Sickbay with Dr. Crusher.  Use it to get some rest.”

“I’m supposed to meet her for lunch tomorrow,” Riker groaned.  “I’m even more tired just thinking about it.”

Troi kissed the top of his head.  “Then don’t think about it.  Just get into bed,” she said.

“Is that an order?” he asked, with a cocked eyebrow.

“It’s a request.  From a friend.”

He smiled at her, which quickly turned to a grimace as he reached for the tissues.  “HATCHHOo!  HurUTCHoo!  UTCHHH!  CHHH! hutCSHHOOo!  God,” he groaned, blowing his nose yet again.  “You’re right.  I’m completely done with this day.”

She rubbed his back in sympathy, then started clearing away their cups.  Riker tried to help her, but she stopped him with a hand on his chest.  “I’ve got this.  Just get some sleep, Will.”

“Aye, sir,” he said, and Troi laughed.

“Goodnight, sir,” she teased.  Riker sank down on his bed, and immediately began drifting off amid the soft sounds of Troi cleaning up.  He was half asleep when he felt her soft lips on his forehead.  “Feel better, Will.”

Edited by anikadicara

I love the intrigue about what's really going on in the ambassador's mind. And I can see the lipstick scene perfectly. Thanks for the updates!