Sneeze Fetish Forum

Why did people from the 1800s have wetter sneezes?

BillyS

IWhenever I read material from that era the sneezes are always described as "ha chhhhhh" or "at ishhhoooo". Sometimes I think I am born in the wrong era. People these days seem to have very dry cough like sneezes. 

Does anybody have any videos or more descriptions of people sneezing from  those born in the 19th century? 

I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you. 

I have noticed that many people nowadays have cough-like sneezes. From my limited experience, people who grow up in rural or semi-rural areas or largely agrarian societies seem to have wetter sneezes. Therefore, I think that it depends on degree of urbanization.

I like wet sneezes too and I feel that there aren’t enough stories or descriptions about them. As far as videos or descriptions, I haven’t come across any.

18 minutes ago, bingochamp7 said:

I have noticed that many people nowadays have cough-like sneezes. From my limited experience, people who grow up in rural or semi-rural areas or largely agrarian societies seem to have wetter sneezes. Therefore, I think that it depends on degree of urbanization.

I like wet sneezes too and I feel that there aren’t enough stories or descriptions about them. As far as videos or descriptions, I haven’t come across any.

you two need to get married immediately i think you're soulmates

1 hour ago, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

you two need to get married immediately i think you're soulmates

Agree. Love wins

just for the sake of making a reference to something discussed here before: maybe it's because people use less butter nowadays : ) 

Edited by Sitruuna
5 hours ago, bingochamp7 said:

Yes it definetly does. I was hosting a friend from rural maine the other day and he sneezed. It sounded something like "ha tssshhhhiiii". Just proves my patterns of observations. Describe and spell out the rural sneezes you have seen please. 

2 hours ago, BillyS said:

Describe and spell out the rural sneezes you have seen please. 

LMFAO

I’m moving to a rural area in a month, can’t wait for my sneezes to get wetter 

14 hours ago, BillyS said:

I grew up in the countryside and the sneezes were like 'ATCHOOOO'

Then I moved to the city and it was crazy, I mean like the sneezes were like 'ATCCHOOOO'

'Butter' not sure why... 

14 hours ago, BillyS said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again, us country folk ONLY sneeze big, sloppy, wet "YYYEEEEEHAAAWWSSTCHHH!" sneezes all day, every day. It's a rootin'-tootin' fun time come allergy season!

Edited by SneezyHolmes
23 hours ago, bingochamp7 said:

Guess I made a hasty generalization lol. Oh well, you live and you learn.

These theories are interesting, but I'm more curious as to why so many people in the 1700s sneezed with a "Atch-weeeee!" sound. How did that evolve from the "Ish-whish!" sound people in the 1600s made?

In all seriousness, the only thing I can figure is people are more and more aware of hygiene. Hard to believe, but things like germs and hay fever weren't even really understood until the late 19th century, so maybe it's not so much different sneezes as it is modern people generally making more of a conscious effort to restrain spread out of politeness.

how the fuck u time travellin bro share with the class

I'm still betting on butter tbh

4 hours ago, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

I was thinking maybe they aren't a time traveller but rather have been alive since 17th century and are speaking from experience 

5 hours ago, Sitruuna said:

I was thinking maybe they aren't a time traveller but rather have been alive since 17th century and are speaking from experience 

no it's the time traveling. People born in the 17th century are all dead. Stop being silly.

2 hours ago, Bless you, Hi said:

no it's the time traveling. People born in the 17th century are all dead. Stop being silly.

how do you know that? hmmm

On 6/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, skater said:

I’m moving to a rural area in a month, can’t wait for my sneezes to get wetter 

You may have to adjust your sneezes to fit in. Change your "HA AHHUUUU" to either

"ha ish" or

"ha chh" 

. When I travel from the city to more rural areas the sneezes get softer. Its weird. 

On 6/19/2020 at 12:32 AM, Sitruuna said:

Maybe those nowadays who still place a emphasis on the "sh" or "ch" sound when they sneeze have retained the way their ancestors sneezed. Watch the video of singer dougie poynter sneezing. You bet this was exactly the way his rural ancestors in the 1600s sneezed! As societies urbanize these type of sneezes are dying out! Enjoy them while it lasts!!

On 6/18/2020 at 7:17 PM, Bless you, Hi said:

These theories are interesting, but I'm more curious as to why so many people in the 1700s sneezed with a "Atch-weeeee!" sound. How did that evolve from the "Ish-whish!" sound people in the 1600s made?

In all seriousness, the only thing I can figure is people are more and more aware of hygiene. Hard to believe, but things like germs and hay fever weren't even really understood until the late 19th century, so maybe it's not so much different sneezes as it is modern people generally making more of a conscious effort to restrain spread out of politeness.

Can you please give me the text or literature from your old days reference to the olden days sneezing if you can? 

I honestly don't know whether it'd be giving you too much or too little credit to refuse to believe you're serious.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:07 PM, •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.• said:

this entire thread, but especially this 😂😂

Speaking from experience, here, actively changing your sneezes to a drier/wetter direction is a pretty fucking hard thing to do consistently. Anyway, should such a trend/pattern exist, I’m betting my money on increased urbanisation and consequent pollution-exposure, maybe with some changes in the usage of butter for good taste (hurr hurr!). As for recordings from the 1800’s, I’m pretty sure the oldest video recording is, very fittingly, ”Fred Ott’s Sneeze”, from 1894, and it doesn’t have sound, so if you could find enough recordings (even just audio) to make a reliable scientific induction (no pun intended), you could strike rich with such an amount of historical records. Just my two cents, here.