Sneeze Fetish Forum

Looking after Dustin

aggedy_ann

@fieldofflowers this is finally an asthma fic from me.  I vaguely remember you mentioning you’d like to see more of that.  

A/N it’s been a really long time since I had a bad asthma attack; I tried to recreate it the best I could.  I’d love feedback on that, please

The first thing Beth saw when she came home from work was a living room strewn with toys and a daughter in front of the TV.  The second thing she saw was her husband, wrapped in a blanket, shivering on the couch with a box of tissues.

“Dustin?”  She asked, picking up AdaLyn and turning off the TV, “are you ok?  You look a lot worse than last night.”

Dustin coughed roughly into his fist.  “I feel awful.” He admitted.  “Just since we woke up from morning nap.  Headache, fatigue, low grade fever, chills, coughing, sneezing.  That’s why Ada was in front of the TV.  I didn’t have the energy for playing, and I kinda wanted to keep my distance.”

She frowned.  “And yet, you’ll go back to Ethan’s tonight.”

He shook his head.  “He’s letting Tim stay.  He wants me to go to urgent care.  He thinks I have influenza since I got sick this fast.  I’ve already moved my stuff to the guest room, and I’m not planning on going with you and AdaLyn to Susanna’s either.” He gave her that information in a hoarse, stuffy voice.

“So are you-“ She stopped as he pulled his sweatshirt collar up over his nose.

“HahKishoo-kishoo-kshoo-Kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo….HahKishoo.” He took a tissue and gingerly attempted to blow his overly congested nose.   

She winced, seeing how red his nose was.  “Are you going to urgent care?”

He nodded. “I didn’t want to bring her with me.  Bad enough she’s being exposed to me.”  He indicated their daughter.  He met eyes with Beth, and she understood that he also didn’t feel up to trying to keep an active three year old busy while they waited for him to be seen.  

“Can you go alone?  I can see if a neighbor will take her…”

“I can.  Stay with her.  She still needs supper.”  

Beth nodded, as he put on his coat and headed out.    Dustin cranked the heat in his car on the way to urgent care, something he rarely did, living in California.   He found a spot and headed in.   Minutes later, he was in triage, a patient, instead of working.   He gave his coworker, Sam, the details, and Sam had him back in a room, in a gown and covered in blankets in no time.  And then there was the wait, where he shivered and sneezed in the thin gown, despite his nurse, Meg, keeping him wrapped in blankets. 

Finally the doctor saw him, ordered a chest x-ray and a flu swab (both turned out to be negative), let him know that there was just a really vicious cold going around, and told him to keep doing what he was doing.

Discouraged that there no remedy to make him feel better faster, he headed back home.  Both of his coworkers told him a) that they’d call and check on him, and b) to call if he needed anything.  

“HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-Kshoo-shoo-shoo…HaKishoo!”  Sneezing into his shoulder, he opened the front door.

Beth looked up from where she was wiping down AdaLyn’s toys with a bleach wipe.  “Bless you, honey.  What’d you find out?”  She picked up another toy and disinfected it.   

“Just a really nasty cold going around.” He grumbled.  “They told me to come back if my asthma gets worse, but to keep going with fluids, rest, and cold medicine.”  He coughed roughly and shivered.   

“There’s soup in the kitchen if you’re hungry.”  

“No,” he sniffled, “but, I should eat anyway.”  He sat down at the kitchen table where Beth set a bowl of soup and a glass of water in front of him. “Is Ada is bed?” He asked,  

She nodded.  “Yeah.  Leaving early to go to my sister’s.”  She hesitated. “Unless you think we should cancel…”

“I think you’re ok.  You’ve barely been around me since I was at Ethan’s.”  He paused to cough.  “And today with Ada, I swear I washed or sanitized my hands more than I do at work.  I tried to keep my distance from her too.”  

Beth nodded.  “Ok.  Are you ok being home alone?”  

“Sam and Meg took care of me tonight in urgent care.  They said they’d call tomorrow and check on me.  Also to call them if I need anything.  I can call Dave and Jess too.” He listed off nearby friends.  “And there’s always the neighbors.”   

“No running to take care of Ethan.” She said firmly.  

“Don’t think I could if I wahhhHahKishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo…HahKishoo.  He sniffled and blew his nose.   “Couldn’t. Even if I wanted to right now.”  He leaned back against the chair, pushing aside his bowl and closing his eyes.

Beth took the empty bowl and put it in the sink. “Go get ready for bed,” she told him grabbing a water bottle from the cupboard.  “I’ll bring water and cold medicine in a few minutes.”

Dustin headed upstairs and took his allergy and asthma meds, then crawled into the familiar guest room bed, switching on the TV.  As quickly as he could grab a tissue, he was hunched over in a sneezing fit.  

“God bless you.” Came Beth’s voice as he straightened up at its conclusion.  

“Thanks,” came his breathless response as he wiped his eyes, then grabbed a handful of tissues to tend to his nose with.  

“I only see you sneeze like that when your allergies are really bad. Must be going to be some cold.”

“He nodded, eyeing the cup of green liquid she held in her hand as she set the water bottle on the night stand.  

“Is that –“

“NyQuil.” She finished.   “I know we  agreed no NyQuil while AdaLyn is little so it’s not only one of us listening for her,  but Ethan called me at work and told me his sick you were.  I’ve got actual behind the counter Sudafed for you in the morning, too.  You rest tonight; I’ve got Ada.  And you’ll have this while we’re gone.”  She handed him the medication, which he downed eagerly.  

“Still tastes disgusting.” He grumbled, coughing.  

Beth pushed the water at him and waited for him to take a drink. “How’s Ethan?”

“He’s still got a pretty bad cough, and he’s got no voice; he’s wore out.  But he says he’s eating, and Tim backs him up.”  Shivering Dustin slid down under the covers and pulled them around him.  

“Tim’s the comedian, right?” 

Dustin yawned, allowing his teeth to chatter.  “He’s also an accountant,” he informed her, coughing.  

Beth laughed.  “Oh, Ethan.  Can’t break the mold.”

“No, he can’t.”  Dustin snapped, snatching a few tissues from the box and removing his wrist from his nose.  “Hakishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo….Hakishoo.”  Following the fit, he groaned and pulled the blankets tighter.   

“Bless you, honey. Just relax.  I’ll be right back with another blanket.  Do you need more tissues?”

He shook his head.  “There’s another box in the drawer with the cough drops.”

She nodded, disappearing down the hall to the linen closet.  She came back with a thick comforter, tucking it in on the sides.   Brushing a hand across his forehead, she frowned.  “You’re pretty warm; what was your temperature earlier?”

“I don’t remember.  Around 100.”

“I want to take it again before you go to sleep.”  She disappeared again, this time to the bathroom and returned with the thermometer.  She scanned it across his forehead.  “100.5.  Explains why you’re cold.  You don’t do fevers well.  Explains why you’re grumpy too.”

He glared at her, which she ignored.

“Get some sleep.  Text me if you need anything during the night.”

The green liquid must have done its trick because the next thing  Dustin was aware of was Beth calling his name.  He glared over at her; he hated being woken up when he was sick.

“Don’t give me that.” She told him firmly.  “We’re getting ready to leave, so we’re here to tell you goodbye.”

Chastised, he relaxed his expression.  “Sorry.  You guys are heading out?”  He turned on his side and propped himself up on his elbow. 

“Yeah.  You slept ok?”

He nodded.  “Thank you.”  He grinned as his daughter came running up the hall and appeared in the door.    Beth caught her before she entered the room.  “We’re saying goodbye from the doorway.  We don’t want to catch daddy’s cold.” She reminded AdaLyn.   He said his goodbyes to his wife and daughter from the doorway, then buried a fast flurry of sneezes into pillow once they were halfway down the hall.   “HahKishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo!”   Blowing his nose, he flopped back on his pillows and fell back to sleep.

He noticed throughout the day that his chest felt heavier, that when he moved around, he was starting to notice shortness of breath.   But he’d use his inhaler, and it would improve.  So, he kept up with that, and just laid low for the day, going to bed early.  By bedtime, he noticed that coughing and sneezing just plain hurt and left him winded.

It was 2 am when he woke up, struggling for air.  He could hear himself wheezing, and felt the tight grip on his chest.  He tried a deep breath to reduce his anxiety, only to end up coughing.  He pawed around on the nightstand for his inhaler, locating it in what seemed like longer than it took in reality.   Shaking it rapidly, he pulled the cap off, wrapped his mouth around it, and inhaled while pushing the top of the canister.  Trying not to cough, he held his breath for a few long seconds, then exhaled.  He tried his best to breath normally while he waited until he could take the next puff. He felt the vise on his chest begin to loosen and started to relax.  He took the second hit off the inhaler and noticed the wheezing fade.  His breathing was easier now.

Crawling out of bed, he slowly padded down to the bathroom and grabbed his pulse oximeter.  90% was the reading.   Not great, but acceptable, especially with all he had going on at the moment.   Taking the oximeter with him, he went back to bed.

He awoke at 8 the next morning, feeling like an anvil was on his chest.  He couldn’t take a deep breath without coughing.  After using his inhaler, he waited half an hour.  Little improvement.  He checked his oxygen.  85%.  He needed to go back to urgent care, but wasn’t sure he could get himself there at tip his point.   

As if on cue, his phone rang.  Ethan.  “Hi.”

“Just thought I’d check in on you.”

“Oh.”  He rubbed his nose.  Apparently the sneezing was going to start now.  “Hold…HahKishoo-kishoo-kshoo-Kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo.”

“Bless you.”  Ethan noticed how tight and forced Dustin’s sneezes sounded and how breathless he was afterward.  He waited for the other man to catch his breath.   “Asthma?”  He asked the question he already knew the answer to.

Dustin confirmed. “This cold hit my lungs hard.  Can barely breath without coughing.”

Tim saw Ethan’s frown at this point in his conversation with Dustin, and looked up from his breakfast.  “Everything ok?”  He mouthed.

Ethan continued asking Dustin questions. “What’s your O2 sat?”

“85%”

“You need to go back in.”  Ethan said flatly.  

“I know.”  He coughed harshly.  “But I don’t think I can drive, and everyone is working days this weekend.  Haven’t bothered the neighbors yet though.”

Ethan sighed.  “I just took the codeine cough syrup.   I can’t drive either.”   

Tim kicked him under the table.  “What’s wrong with him?”

Dustin began coughing again, so Ethan took advantage of this time to fill Tim in on the basics.  “The cold triggered his asthma; he needs someone to take him to urgent care.”

“Ask him if I can.” Tim said simply,

Ethan return to Dustin who was working in catching his breath.  He waited for him to take a drink of water, then asked “can Tim take you?  He’s offering.  I’m fine alone for awhile.”

“That would be great.”  Dustin let out a sigh of relief.  He hadn’t even thought of Tim, let alone that Tim would offer.  

“20 minutes.”  Ethan told him.

True to Ethan’s word, 20 minutes later, Tim was pulling into Ethan’s driveway.  He rang the bell, the helped Dustin to the car.  Another 20 minutes, and they were at urgent care.  Dustin went to get checked in and seen while Tim waited in the waiting room.  

Tim spent the the hour texting Ethan.

-        E, he’s really sick.

-        How bad?

-        Just breathless, I could hear him wheezing in the car

-        Shit. He hasn’t been this bad in a few years

-        I don’t think he should be alone right now

-        Want me to call Beth?

-        Where is she?

-        Her sister’s. Susanna’s birthday is today. 

-        Damn. When is she back?  

-        Sometime tomorrow 

-        I’d hate to ruin her plans.  And how far away is she?

-        I think about 3 hours.  

-        Can he just stay in the guest room overnight?

-        Want us to take him?  You’ll have two of us to take care of.  And he can be a bear. 

-        You’re hardly any work.  And I can handle that.  You can run down and start washing the sheets for the spare bed.  I’ll finish them.  

-        Where will you sleep?

-        I’ll take the couch.  I’ll be fine.   

-        I’ll text him and ask him and let you know.

5 minutes later, there was a response.

-        He’ll stay over night. 

Ethan went to start the laundry, then continued texting with Tim, this time about how he felt until Dustin was freed from urgent care.

“Cold triggered asthmatic bronchitis.” Dustin filled Tim in.

Tim gave him a sympathetic look.  “Ugh.  Been there.  Steroids?”

“You have asthma? And yeah, steroids and nebs.”

“Yeah, I do. Which pharmacy.”

“CVS on Woodbury and home to grab things for overnight.  Thanks for letting me stay.  I’m sorry for barging in on your time with Ethahhhn.  HahKishoo-Kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.  Fuck, that hurts.”  He complained, breathlessly.

“Bless you.  Let’s get your stuff first.  Then the pharmacy should have everything ready.”

Dustin pulled a tissue from his pocket and blew his nose.  “Sounds good to me.”  He directed Tim back to his house where he packed clothes, medication and his nebulizer machine.  After a trip to the pharmacy, they were at Ethan’s. 

part 2 to come

• 2 weeks later...

Tim saw the note from Ethan on the counter.

*Sheets are in the dryer.  Couldn’t fight the codeine anymore and had to take a nap.

Tim turned to Dustin.  “Ethan’s asleep. Sheets and blankets are in the dryer.  I’ll go check on them in a bit.   Why don’t you get comfortable on the couch.  Need anything?”

Dustin shook his head.  “Just need to put my stuff away.”  He coughed, heading off to stash his stuff in the guest room.  

He set his bag next to Tim’s and joined him in the living room.  “Thanks for letting me stay here,” he sniffled. “I know I’m cutting in in your time with Ethan.”

“No worries.” Tim reassured him.  “Have a seat…or did you want to sleep?”

“They gave me a steroid injection in urgent care.  I’ll be awake for awhile.”

“And Ethan will be be asleep for awhile.”  Tim laughed. 

Ahshoo.” They heard Ethan sneeze from the bedroom, then faint snoring a few seconds later.  

Tim shook his head.  “I’ll never understand how he’s able to do that.  I wake up sneezing, it takes me awhile to go back to sleep.”

“Same, but as much as E sneezes..”

“He seriously does sneeze all the time?

“All the time.  Try being in a dorm room with him during allergy season when you have a migraine. My own sneezing is bad enough, but add in his…”

Tim shook his head.  “Ugh…I can imagine.”  He sat down while Dustin blew his nose.  Dustin sat down next to him and Tim took a good look at him.  “You look like miserable.  Sure you don’t want to lay down?”

Dustin gave a small smile. “Between the cold from hell, the bronchitis, and my allergies,” he shook his head.  “This is awful.  And I’d rather stay up sitting right now.”

“Easier to breathe.”  Tim nodded, having been in that position.  “Did you eat this morning?”

Dustin shook his head.  “No time.”  

“What are you hungry for?”

Dustin looked at him.  “It’s ok.  I can wait until lunch.  I’m not really hungry.”

“You want a snack?”

Dustin thought about it.  “Maybe some toast.  I can make it.”  He started to get up from the couch but Tim stopped him.  

“Tell me what you want. You’re here so you can rest.”

“Just toast with jelly.  Whatever kind he has.”

“Light? Dark? Butter?”

“Medium, no butter.”

Tim headed into the kitchen to start the toast as he heard Dustin start sneezing.

HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”  There was a brief pause, and a second set.  “Hakishoo-kishoo-Kishoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…Hakishoo….owww.”

He entered with toast and water to Dustin blowing his nose.   “Bless you.” He told him as Dustin concluded tending to his nose.  

“Thanks.”  Dustin blew his nose again and looked at the small pile of tissues on the coffee table.   “Do you have something I can put these in?  You guys just had colds, and I don’t want to share this one.”

He took the toast from Tim as Tim ducked back into the kitchen for a bag and a glass of water for himself. 

Dustin threw the tissues in the bag and sighed.  “I feel like I could blow my nose forever and it wouldn’t do any good.”

“I hate those colds. Last time I had one, we were running the show, I was on headset, and so stuffed up I felt like I couldn’t breath.  I think they were just pretending to understand me.”

Dustin gave a laugh, which turned into a prolonged coughing fit.  

Hatchoo!”  Ethan came and sat down in his oversized chair, curling up in it.  “He ok?”

Dustin nodded, coughing starting to slow.  

“How are you doing?” Tim asked Ethan.  

“I can’t sleep anymore.  I think I’m slept out.   Otherwise, about the same.  Have a headache today.”

“Tylenol?”

“In the DayQuil.”  Ethan shrugged.  “Maybe I can just not sneeze so much.”

Dustin glared at him.  “Don’t make me laugh right now.”

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Cold from hell, allergies led to asthmatic bronchitis.  You’re familiar with that cycle.”

Ethan nodded.  He’d been through this with Dustin more than a few times.  He looked over at Tim.  “I’ll run down and check the laundry.”  He got up, grabbed the clothes basket by the door and disappeared, only to return a few minutes later with clean sheets and blankets for Dustin.  

Tim grabbed the basket from Ethan when he returned.  “I’ll make the bed.  You’re supposed to be resting.”  He disappeared into the guest room and changed the bed.  “You want me to wash these right away?” He asked Ethan, regarding the bedding he had just stripped off the bed.

“No.  Just throw it in my room.”   And Tim noticed his  voice was hoarser than it had been that morning, if that was possible.  “I’ll get it when I do laundry.”  He coughed harshly into his sleeve.   Tim out the laundry in his room and returned with Ethan’s water bottle, something that had been a constant fixture with Ethan.

“You forgot this.”  He handed Ethan the water.

“Thanks.” Ethan’s voice sounded painful, and he took a long drink. 

“And you sound like shit.” He continued.   “You sounded better this morning.”

Ethan sighed.  “My mom called.  It was a long call.”  He left off the fact that it didn’t go well.   “It’ll come back.”  He took another drink of water.  “Do you want to get the cough drops from my room please?  I think Dustin could use them too.”

Tim nodded, disappearing again into Ethan’s room and grabbed the cough drops of Ethan’s nightstand.  He doled them out, sat down on the couch next to Dustin, then popped right back up again.  “Blankets.  Who wants a blanket?   Ethan, did you wash the one that was out here?  I don’t see it.”   

Ethan shook his head, raising his wrist up to his nose to catch another sneeze.  HahChoo!  I put it in with my dirty laundry. I didn’t want Dustin use it.  There’s more blankets in the closet.”   

Tim returned with two blankets.  He handed one to Dustin, who took it eagerly, wrapping his tall frame in it.  

He held Ethan’s out, and Ethan shook his head.  “Still warm.”   

Tim bent down and pressed his lips to Ethan’s temple.  “Still got that fever.  How bad?”

“Still hovering just below 100.”  Ethan sighed.   

“You’re always tough to break when you have a fever.” Dustin reminded him.  He looked at Tim.  “Fortunately, he doesn’t jump above 99 that often.”  Back to Ethan.  “Just remember, pneumonia, ear infection…you’re pretty sick.”  He coughed several times.

“So’re you.”  Ethan pointed out when he finished.  “I don’t know when I’ve seen you get this sick this fast.”

“Probably the year before I got m-mahhhriehhd…HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo……HahKishoo-Kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-Kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.  He paused and coughed roughly into his damp sleeve.

“God bl-“

“M-more…”  Dustin managed to gasp, burying his face in his elbow again.  HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo”

Tim and Ethan exchanged concerned glances, Ethan having been through this before with Dustin and Tim with his own asthma.  Dustin’s sneezes were starting to have a tight, harsh, sound, as if he was having to force them out.   

“HahKishoo-kishoo-kshoo-Kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.  Dustin straightened up, looking dazed, reached for a handful of tissues and attempted to take a deep breath to blow his nose.

They all heard the wheezing.  “Inhaler.”  Ethan told him.

Dustin shook his head, attempting another deep breath, being rewarded with a coughing spell.   He looked up and his eyes met Tim’s as he attempted a slow shallow breath.   

“I think nebulizer.”  Tim interjected.  “But try the inhaler while we get it set up.” He directed.   “It’s with your stuff?”

At Dustin’s nod, Ethan headed towards the bedroom.  “I know what I’m looking for.” He reassured Tim.  

He returned, seconds later, setting the machine on the coffee table, setting it up and plugging it in.   Tim poured the vial into the cup and handed it to Dustin who was sitting there, taking shallow breaths, wheezing audible to all.  

He took a deep breath of the mist and immediately coughed.  But tried again, staying focused on breathing in the medication that would open up his airway.  Then his phone rang.  

“Beth.”  He wheezed.  “Ethan, can you?”  He handed over the phone.

Tim and Dustin listened as Ethan reassured Beth that Dustin was ok, well, mostly ok, that Tim and Ethan, ok, mostly Tim were capable of taking care of him.  Dustin breathed in the nebulizer mist in the background and coughed, although the coughing was ceasing.  Not reassured, Beth made Ethan promise to have Dustin call her later, and ordered Ethan to rest.

“You gotta call her when you’re done.”  Ethan set the phone next to the tissues, taking one.  He fiddled with it for a couple seconds, then “Hatchoo!”  His head pitched forward into the tissue.  

Tim frowned, noticing that Ethan’s sneeze sounded harsher than this morning.  “Bless you.”  He fixed his gaze on Ethan.  

Ethan, for his part, pretended not to notice, focusing his attention on Dustin who was halfway through his breathing treatment and starting to breathe easier.  His eyes met Dustin’s, and they pleaded with him not to give details if his typical conversations with his mom.  

“Long chat with mom.”  Ethan managed casually.  “I did most of the talking.”

Coughing from Dustin drew their attention back to him.  “‘M fine.”  Dustin pulled the pipe away to awkwardly blow his nose one handededly.

“Lunch!” Ethan exclaimed, hopefully distracting Tim.  “I’ll make lunch while Dustin finishes up.   I need to eat.”  He all but ran into the kitchen to start making sandwiches.  

Tim shot Dustin a confused look.  Dustin just shrugged, taking another deep breath as the machine started to make the tell tale noise it was getting low on the liquid, and Dustin’s neb treatment was nearly over.  A few minutes later, smoke had stopped coming from the pipe and Dustin was breathing easier, 

“Better?”

Dustin nodded, disassembling the machine.   

Tim took a couple of the pieces.  “I’ll rinse these for you.”  He walked into the kitchen where Ethan was reheating a pot of soup.   Tim rinsed the nebulizer cup and pieces as Ethan stifled a cough into his sleeve.  Tim set the pieces on a paper towel. “I’ll take over.” He told Ethan, rubbing his back.  “Go get your blood sugar.”

Ethan nodded.  “How’s Dustin doing?” 

“He’s ok.  Wanna let him know we’re ready to eat?”  He took the pot off the stove and began dishing up the chicken soup.   

Only Tim had an appetite for lunch; Dustin managed his soup and picked at his sandwich while Ethan actually ate half a sandwich and finished his soup, better than he’d done for awhile.  He packaged up the other half of his sandwich for his snack later, and looked at Tim and Dustin.

“Naps.” Ordered Tim.  “Both of you.  Ethan shot him a look.  “Yes, you.   You sound worse.  I don’t want you relapsing.”  He softened.  “If you can get comfortable in the big chair in the living room, then you guys can nap in there; I’ll bring in a chair from in here, and we can find a movie.  

Dustin laughed and coughed.  “Ethan sleeps in that chair all the time.  And I can try to leave you the end of the couch.  And a nap sounds fantastic.”  He backed Tim up. 

Ethan made a face as Tim herded them to the living room and tucked them in with boxes of tissues.  

Edited by aggedy_ann

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 😁

And more:

“I have to call Beth.”  Dustin remembered once they were all settled in with pillows, blankets, tissues and a movie.  He grabbed his phone off the coffee table and dialed.  “I’m sorry, baby, I forgot.”  He said when she answered.  “Ethan brought me in for lunch, and then Tim insisted on naps, and then I remembered.”… “I’m ok.   Sneezed too much at once, I guess.  Round of four, I almost never do that.”…”Asthmatic bronchitis plus the cold from hell plus my regular allergies.”…I know.  How are you and AdaLyn?”…” She did that last time we were there too; think it’s the cats and dog?”…”I was her age…we’ll deal with it next week, as long as she’s ok right now.  Sehehhcond…HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-Kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo. Nughh…excuse me.”…Yeah, I am…Tim did.  Ethan was doped up on codeine.  They both decided I should stay here overnight while I was being seen.  I’m gonna need to get picked up when you get back probably though…Around 7.  Ok.”…”I’ll see you tomorrow. Love you.”  He hung up his phone and snuggled back down on his pillow, yawning.   

“They didn’t get sick, did they?”  Ethan coughed.

Dustin shook his head.  “They’re ok.”  He cleared his throat.  “Beth can pick me up tomorrow evening around 7, if that’s ok.”

Ethan nodded.  “Ok. I mean, where am I going right now?”

“I work until around 7.” Tim explained.  “I need to go home after that and check on my cat, at least.”  He looked at Ethan.  “I’ll leave for work about 10 tomorrow.”

Ethan nodded.  “Don’t let me fall back to sleep before you leave.  I have to call and make a-“. He paused for a second. “Atchoo!  A doctor appointment.”  He blew his nose and coughed for several long seconds before taking a sip of water.   

“Bless you.” Dustin’s congestion was getting the better of him, and he propped himself up against the arm of the couch as he looked over at Ethan.  He shifted on the couch.

Tim stood up.  “I’m gonna grab a chair.  You need to be able to stretch out and be comfortable.”  Tim returned  with a kitchen chair and sat between the two.   

Dustin yawned and pulled the blanket up over his shoulder.  

Ethan tucked his legs under him in the chair, resting his head on the pillow, focusing on Tim.  “Gonna study while we sleep?” He asked, voice still hoarse.

“That’s my plan.”

“I won’t be awake long.”  Dustin yawned again. “I’m exhausted all of a sudden.”

“I’m not.”  Ethan sniffled.

“Try.” Tim urged.  “You sound like shit. Do you need more cough syrup?”

Ethan shook his head.   “I’m ok.  Really.  Just talked too much.” He insisted.

“HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo!”

A well timed sneeze from Dustin, at least in Ethan’s opinion, kept Tim from asking questions.  “Bless you.” Ethan chirped before hastily cupping his hands over his nose.  Hahshoo!  Ugh…that one was contagious.”  

Tim shot him an amused look.  “That’s ridiculous.  You can’t cahahhahhshoo…” He brought his arm up to block the sneeze.  Heyyahhshoo!” Came the second one. “Can’t catch sneezes.” He finished lamely. 

“Bless you.”  Ethan shot him a worried glance, knowing that the frequency of Tim’s sneezes was next to none.  “You ok?”  The unspoken question if “I didn’t get you sick again?” Hung in the air.  

“Fine.”  Tim laughed.  “Maybe sneezes are contagious.  Never had that happen before.”  He laughed again.

“Happens to us all the time.”  Dustin explained. “Really annoying, actually.”

“It’s not that bad. Kind of funny when it happens, actually.”

“Not when you sneeze 7 or 8 times to your 1.” Dustin snapped, glaring at Ethan.  

Tim looked surprised by Dustin’s sudden change in personality, but Ethan took it in stride.   “Take your nap, Dustin.”

“I would if I could breathe.  I’m too stuffed up.  In case you couldn’t tell by listening.”  Dustin’s tone was harsh, and followed by several long, loud, futile nose blows.

“Can you take more Sudafed?”

“Not for an hour.” Dustin snapped again.

“Tea?  The steam sometimes clears your sinuses.”

Dustin shook his head, glaring.  

“I think you left some vapor rub here the last time I had a sinus infection.   Want that?  Tim, can you go check the medicine cabinet?”

“Don’t want it.” Dustin said, petulantly.  

“Then try to sleep sitting up.”  Dustin rolled his eyes; Ethan sighed, getting up.  He returned with a pillow, sticking it in a clean pillow case.  “Here, try this.  You’re gonna want the third pillow tonight anyway.”

Sighing, Dustin took it.  “I’ll try it.” He grumbled.   He propped himself up on the pillows, coughing.  

“Let me know if you need the other one from your room.” Ethan informed him.

“Why didn’t you just get it in the first place?” Dustin grouched.   

Ethan fixed him with a look Tim had never seen before and made a note he didn’t want to be in the receiving end of.  The look lasted about 2 seconds before Ethan doubled over with a rough sneeze.  Hatshoo!”

“Bless you.  Do you want me to get the other pillow?” Tim offered.

“That would be great.”  Ethan rasped, fumbling with a tissue and blowing his nose.

Tim returned with the pillow, handing it to Dustin.  “Thanks.” He mumbled sullenly, placing it under his head with the other two.

“Any better?”   Tim asked.

“Dustin sniffled.  “Maybe.” He admitted.  “Too soon to tell.”  He yawned. 

“Well, try and rest.”  Tim told him, returning to his spot between Dustin and Ethan.  “You need anything?” He asked Ethan.

Ethan shook his head.  “I’m good.”  

Tim noticed how painful his voice sounded after the interchange with Dustin…well, it had sounded painful before that, but…. “Your voice sounds like it really hurts.  How about some tea with just the tiniest bit of honey?”

Ethan smiled.  “Sure.” He coughed.  “Just a little bit.” He reminded Tim.  

Tim nodded.  “I think I’ve got it down how you make your tea after this weekend.” He grinned.  “I’ll be back in a couple minutes.”  He bent down and brushed Ethan’s usually perfect hair out of his eyes; Ethan hadn’t bothered with doing his hair that weekend.  “With tea and a thermometer.  Dustin, do you need anything?”

Dustin shook his head.  “I’m ok.” He said softly.  “Just gonna try to sleep.”   

Tim returned a few minutes later to find Dustin with his eyes closed, trying to sleep and Ethan staring blankly at the TV.   He swiped the thermometer across Ethan’s forehead as he handed him the tea.   “99.5. Holding steady.” He commented.  

“Yeah.”  Ethan took a sip of the tea.  “This feels good.” He smiled as Tim’s phone rang.  

“Mom.” Tim looked at his phone.  “I’ll take this in the kitchen.  You try to sleep.”  Tim instructed him, disappearing into the other room.

Edited by aggedy_ann
Autocorrect got me
  • 2 weeks later...

Here’s hoping I got all the autocorrect bugs out

and a short bit.   We’ve been having to isolate staff for COVID now (I live in a super rural area so just getting hit now) and I’ve been working a lot of hours.  Hoping to tie together the two fics this week.  😀🤞

Ethan sipped his tea as he overheard Tim laughing and talking with his mom.  He snuggled into the chair, sighing.  

20 minutes later, Tim was back.  “Sorry. I forgot she’d be calling.  We always talk on Sunday afternoons.  How was the tea?”

“Good.  Thanks for making it.” Ethan said softly, looking away.

“E?  You ok?”

Ethan nodded.  “F-fine.” He scrubbed fiercely at his nose, delaying the inevitable for a few seconds.  “I’m fine.”  He said, as his head dipped down a second later.  HehAHCHoo!” 

Tim startled at the sound, and the previously snoring Dustin’s eyes popped open.

Dustin spoke before Tim could offer a bless you.  “Dammit Ethan!” He growled. “Why do you always have to be so loud?” He snapped.

Ethan opened his mouth to respond, but Dustin continued.   “You always do this!” He yelled as much as his voice would allow.  “Every time I’m sick, the minute I fall asleep, you sneeze as loud as you can and wake me up!  Every. Single. Time.”

Ethan opened his mouth to protest and coughed instead.  A few seconds and a drink of water later, he was staring Dustin down.  “You know that’s not true.” He responded in a cold, steely, though raspy tone.  “You know I try to keep them quiet.   You know that’s not easy.  And you know know the more I try, the greater the chance a really loud one gets through.”  He sniffled and blew his nose.  “We’ve been through this every time you’ve gotten sick for over 20 years.  When is it going to sink in?”

“When you learn to be considerate.” Came Dustin’s congested retort, followed by several deep coughs.

Ethan sighed.  “I I try.  What more can I do?  You know I can’t stop them, stifle them or hold them back for more than a second or to.  Definitely not long enough to get very far away.  You’re being unreasonable.   You don’t feel well, and you’re being unreasonable.”  Again, he fixed Dustin with a steel eyed glare, this time to less effect.  

“I am not.”  Dustin snapped.

“Yes, you are.” Tim broke in.  “Ethan’s been sneezing quieter since you got here.  As someone who sneezes just as loud as he does, I don’t know how he’s doing it.  One slipped through.  Give him a break; he’s trying.”  He paused for Dustin to cough and take a drink of water.  “I know you’re fighting to breathe, and that’s hard.   And it makes everything seem a thousand times worse.  But, really, he’s not doing this to torment you.”

Dustin sat there, quiet, looking at the floor.   “Sorry.” He finally mumbled.  

“It’s ok.” Ethan reassured him, and Tim echoed his sentiments.   “I know you’re not used to being knocked down like this, especially not this quickly.”

Dustin nodded, raising a hand to his face.  HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-Kshoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”

“Bless you.”  Tim nudged the tissues closer to Dustin, and Ethan waited while Dustin blew his nose.

“It’s also gotta be hard to have Beth and Ada out of town while you’re sick and not be in your own bed.” Ethan continued.   

“And I know it typically sucks to be fighting to breathe and not be in your own bed.” Tim chipped in.

“But, you’re not going to do this.  You can be grouchy, but you are not going to jump on me for everything you don’t like.  And not on Tim either.   Understood?”

Dustin took a deep breath, which resulted in twenty seconds of coughing.  “Yeah.”  He managed, chastised, when he had caught his breath again.

“I know it’s been, what 4, 5 years since you were this sick; you’re used to colds that just slow you down…not knock you on your ass. Even if you do pick up everything the kid brings home from daycare…”

“She never brings home anything this bad.” Dustin wheezed.   

“Exactly.  This probably came from work where who knows what you were exposed to.  But, I’ve told you before, and I’ll keep telling you, being sick doesn’t mean you can be an ass.”  He pressed his small crumpled wad of tissues to his nose.  Atchoo!”

“Bless you.”  Tim looked at his watch.  “I think you could have some more cold medicine now.”  He stood up, and headed in the direction of the bathroom, returning a few minutes later with the aforementioned cold medicine, handing it to Ethan.   

Ethan finished blowing his nose, then took the pills from Tim and swallowed them.  “Thanks.” He sniffed, in his hoarse, stuffy voice.   

Tim gave him a soft, sympathetic look, then turned to Dustin.  “You need anything?”

Dustin shook his head.  “I’m alright.   Well, not alright, but you know what I mean.”   He pulled his inhaler out of his pocket, shook it then set it down.     “Not now.” He muttered, grabbing for a tissue.  “HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.” He gave his nose a quick blow to clear it, then leaned against the couch gasping to catch his breath.

“Bless you.”  Tim handed him a few more tissues.  “You ok?”  

Dustin nodded, having caught his breath.  “Just time for this.” He said, turning away and using the inhaler.  “I’m just gonna go back to sleep.” He said, yawning; he curled back up against his pillows and pulled the blanket around him, tucking as much of himself under the throw as he comfortably could.

Tim looked over at Ethan.  “You.  Sleep.” He attempted to order.

Ethan shook his head.  “Just not tired.  Slept out.” He explained in a matter of fact tone.

Tim laughed, tucking a leg under him on his wooden chair.  “How am I supposed to study if you don’t sleep?”

Ethan shrugged.  “I could help you.” He coughed.

“What do you know about taxes?”

“I pay them.”  

Tim laughed.  “Oh?  And who does your forms?”

“I’ll have you know, Timothy Fitzpatrick, that I do my own taxes.” Ethan said, proudly.

A snore from Dustin interrupted their banter, and they looked over to see that he had fallen asleep.  

“Alright, alright.” Tim laughed.  “Got room in that chair for me?”

Tim and Ethan found their spots in the  oversized chair, with the smaller Ethan sitting half on Tim’s lap.   Tim opened his book and began to teach Ethan about the California tax law changes.

Hatchoo!”  Ethan muffled his sneeze into his pile of tissues and looked up and over at Dustin about half an hour later.  “He’s cold.” He said, and Tim looked up to see Dustin shivering.

“I’ll get him another blanket.”  Tim slipped out of the chair and headed towards the linen closet.   

“Get him a regular blanket.”  Ethan rasped after him.

Tim returned with a warm looking blanket, and placed it, folded double, over Dustin, then scanned his forehead with the thermometer.  “”101.” He reported to Ethan.  “Should I wake him to see if he can take Tylenol?”

Ethan shook his head.  “He hasn’t been asleep that long, and he isn’t very good with a fever.  He’ll rip your head off.  Let him wake up on his own.”

Tim nodded.  “I think he’s due for the decongestant, too.” He commented.

“He’s sleeping; he’ll be ok until he wakes up.”  Ethan let Tim back into the chair where he resumed “helping” Tim study and sneezing for the next two hours.  

Ahtshoo!”  Again, he attempted to muffle his sneeze into his wad of tissues.   He sniffled and blew his nose carefully.

“Bless you.” Came a drowsy voice from the couch.

“Thanks.  How long have you been awake?”

“Not long.  You two are cute.  Don’t quit your day job, E.”

“I can’t be an accountant?”

“No,” Tim laughed.  “Sorry.  But why don’t you go get a snack?  Dustin can grab some more medicine and join us.  And, we can figure out what I’m making you two for dinner.”

Ooh! I liked this one a lot! (I mean, I like all of them a lot! But something about this one, with Dustin flipping a bit, abd then getting calmed down, really struck me.)

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys.  More coming now that I’m not a) working a zillion hours and b ) not sick as hell

Edited by aggedy_ann
  • 1 month later...

So, this is where Getting Closer and Taking care of Dustin merge.    There will still be some Ethan-centric bits I promise.   Getting Closer can be found here: https://www.sneezefetishforum.com/topic/77650-getting-closer/

CW for brief mention of nausea

They regrouped in the kitchen a few minutes later.  Ethan ate while they discussed dinner, opting to stick to soup; Tim and Dustin option for the spicy chicken noodle with Ethan sticking to the chicken dumpling.  

Tim looked at the two men and tried not to sigh.  Dustin looked rough, and Ethan was sounding worse by the minute.  His raspy voice was now just above a whisper, yet he was insistent on talking.  Dustin had slept, but had coughed harshly in his sleep.  Now that he was awake, the sneezing had started up again.    

Tim unconsciously rubbed his temples, a move not escaping Ethan’s notice.

“You ok?”  

“Just starting to get a headache.  I’ll be fine.”

“Tylenol and ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet.  Your choice.”  Ethan offered.

“Thanks.”  Tim slipped away, grateful for the offer.   He returned and swallowed the pills with a sip of his water.    

“HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-kshsoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”  Dustin sneezed for the third time in the short period he had been awake.   “I’m done with this.” He grumbled.  “I’m going back to bed.”  He barely acknowledged Ethan’s blessing as he blew his nose, then stalked off toward the guest room.

Tim glanced over at Ethan once the bedroom door closed.  “Is he always this temperamental?”

Ethan shook his head.  “He’s usually only like this when he’s sick.  The sicker he is, the worse he gets.   He doesn’t tolerate not feeling well.”

“Not like you.  You’re pretty easygoing with it.”

Ethan shrugged.  “I’m an easygoing guy.  You’ll find that out.” He laughed, then coughed.

“I think you should rest.”  Tim gently told him.   

“Not tired.”

“Just lay down.  Read, watch TV.   But I want you to lay down for a bit.”

Ethan sighed.  “Couch?” 

Tim hesitated; he had hoped to get some reading done.  “Ok. But I need to get some work done.”  He paused. “Without help.”

Ahshoo!”  Ethan ducked down, sneezing into his shirt collar.  “Ok.”

“Bless you.  And, you’re gonna rest your voice.  Before your sneezing kills what’s left of it.”

Ethan laughed, then was rewarded with a coughing fit.  After a long drink of water, he followed Tim to the living room and got comfortable on the couch.   “TV going to bother you?”

Tim shook his head, arranging his things on the chair.  

Ethan found a true crime show and curled up with his iPad.   

Tim managed to become engrossed in his studies despite his growing headache.  Ethan had sneezed a couple times the first hour he was studying but when he took a brief break for more water, an hour and a half in, he realized he hadn’t heard him sneeze for awhile.  Looking over, he saw Ethan, sound asleep.   

He settled back down and continued studying until dinner.   He gently shook Ethan awake and sent him to wake Dustin while he checked his blood sugar.  Tim put soups in the microwave and set out orange juice for the other two.   

He had taken the Tylenol earlier, so he headed to the bathroom to try the ibuprofen as his headache wasn’t quitting.    After grabbing the pills, he joined the two men at the table.

Tonight was Tim’s turn to pick at his food.  Ethan’s appetite had returned; not only did he finish his soup it he made himself a sandwich.  Dustin ate half of his soup before the spiciness got the better of him.

“HaKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-Kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”  He blew his nose several times, then doubled over with another fit.  “You’re definitely clearing out some of this congestion.  The spices really catch up to you.”

“Good thing or bad thing?”  Tim asked, hesitantly, remembering Ethan’s response.  

“Good.  Maybe I’ll be able to breathe.”

“Take it home with you.”  Ethan offered.  “I won’t eat it.”  His face wrinkled. “Hatshoo!”

Ethan noticed Tim wince at the sound as he blessed him.

“Headache worse?”

Tim nodded.  “Just took some ibuprofen.  That should help.”

Dustin turned away from the table, sneezing again.  “Sorry.” He apologized.  “I’m going to be doing this for awhile.” He commented, sniffling back his running nose. 

“My mom used to make spicy chicken soup when I was sick.” Tim shared.

Dustin nodded.  “Mine too.  Now Beth does.”

“It works.”

“But someone,” Dustin glanced at Ethan, “won’t try it.”

“It makes me sneeze.”  Ethan protested.

“That’s the point.” Tim laughed.

HahChoo!”  Ethan doubled over with another loud sneeze.

“Ugh…don’t do that.”  Dustin sighed, grabbing tissues from the box on the table, turning away and pausing in anticipation before pitching forward.  HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo!”   A loud, gurgling blow followed before he turned back to the others.  “I have a feeling I’ve had enough soup.” He sniffled.  

Ethan assessed his friend’s pale complexion and bleary eyes.  “You look like shit.”  He commented.  “You should go back to bed.”

“You think.”  Came Dustin’s retort, only this time, he wasn’t irritable.  He got up from the table.  “Ethan, will you wake me when you do your meds so I can take NyQuil?”

Ethan nodded.  “Sure.”

Dustin headed to lay down, leaving Tim and Ethan alone.  

HahAtchoo!” Again, Ethan noticed Tim’s involuntary wince.   “Maybe I should hang out in my room for awhile…til your headache goes away.  Besides, we don’t want to get sick of each other.”  He laughed.

“Thanks.”  Tim smiled.  “I’ve got to try to work through this reading.”

Ethan went to his room while Tim headed for the living room.  He could hear Ethan sneezing periodically as well as his hoarse cough, but overall Ethan was starting to sound better.   

30 minutes into his reading, his head was simply throbbing, and the lights were killing his eyes.   Heyyehhchuhh,  ehhxxchuhh.”  He sneezed suddenly, a wave of nausea coming over him.  He closed his eyes, the looked up at the ceiling to see silver raindrops pouring down from it.   “Migraine.”  He sighed, reaching into his bag and digging out his meds.  He let the pill dissolve under his tongue and sighed again.  He wasn’t getting anything done tonight.   The meds would work on the headache but make him groggy as hell for at least a few hours.   Stretching out on the couch, he buried his face in his pillow and waited to fall asleep.

Ethan came out an hour later for water and saw Tim sleeping on the couch.  He quietly covered him with a blanket, then closed his bedroom door when he returned to his room so his sneezing wouldn’t disturb him.

Ethan came out at 9 for his snack and meds.  He woke Dustin who took NyQuil, did his neb and quickly went back to bed.   He hesitated before waking Tim, but not knowing if he needed to do anything before bed, he decided to take the plunge.   

He rested his hand on Tim’s shoulder and said his name.  Tim opened his eyes, at first looking confused, then recognition flashed in his eyes.

“Sorry, forgot where I was for a second.”

“We’re not wearing you…” Ethan paused and turned away.  Hatchoo!  Wearing you out, are we?”

Tim shook his head.  “Migraine.   They tend to come out of nowhere.  I took my pill; it’s gone now.   I’m just a little tired from it.”

Ethan nodded.  “Understand.  I get them sometimes, too.   Dustin went to bed.  I think I’m gonna go there after I eat.  So, you can sleep.  Sorry I woke you.  I just didn’t know if you needed to do anything before you went to bed.”

“Brush my teeth.” Tim smiled.  “Might want to change into sweats, but if Dustin’s in bed…”

“He just went.  He won’t be asleep yet.  He still has to call Beth.”

Tim went to grab his toothbrush and pajamas while Ethan got ready for bed.  He knocked on the guest room door.  After a few seconds, Dustin opened it, mid sneezing fit.   He waved Tim in, continuing to sneeze.  Tim grabbed his things as Dustin blew his nose and immediately pitched forward into his tissues again.

HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”  Sighing, he wearily blew his nose again and leaned against the wall.

“Goodness, bless you.”

“Thanks.”  Dustin took a few fresh tissues for another blow.  “The sneezing’s always worse at night.” He explained with a sniff.  “Should die down once the NyQuil kicks in.”

Tim gave him a sympathetic smile.  “Hopefully soon.”

“Yeah.”  Dustin sat down on the bed, coughing.   “I want to actually be able to talk to my wife when I call her.”

Tim laughed.  “I’ll leave you to try.”

He got ready for bed and found Ethan still sitting on the couch.  

“Hey…still not tired?”

“Not really.  But I know you are.”

“I’m good for a little bit.” Tim yawned.

“Very convincing.”

“I’m up for a little TV.”  Tim joined Ethan on the couch.  “How are you feeling?”

“Rough.”  Ethan admitted.  “I’m worn out.  I just can’t sleep. Cough is still pretty bad.”  He brought his arm up.  Ahshoo! The sneezing is approaching normal levels though.”

Tim chuckled.  “I think you win the award for sneeziest guy I’ve ever dated.   And your voice is still wrecked.”  He pointed out.

Ethan shrugged.  “It’ll come back.  It’s always goes.”

“Why’s it worse today?  It was coming back yesterday.”

“Told you. Long phone call with my mom.  I did a lot of talking.”

Tim looked at Ethan.  “Why’d she keep you on the phone so long with your voice so bad?”

Ethan looked away, then back at Tim, an unreadable expression on his face.

“I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have asked that.”

Ethan looked down, biting his lip.  “We were arguing.” He said softly.

Tim nodded, but didn’t press.   “Explains your voice.”

Ethan nodded, clearing his throat.  “She’s good at somehow knowing when I’m sick and calling.”

“Moms are like that.”

Ethan shrugged.  “Yeah, I guess.”  He shrugged, looking down again.   He stared at the floor for several seconds, then ducked his head into his arm.  Ahtshoo!”  He sniffled, deep and wet, then sighed.  “Families can be difficult to navigate.”  He finally said.   

Tim nodded, remembering what he had shared of his own family.   “Yes, they can.”  He heard another thick sniffle from Ethan and turned to see the other man’s lashes were wet with tears.   He wasn’t sure if Ethan were the type to wear his heart on his sleeve or was simply more emotional when he was sick but didn’t want to call attention to the threatening tears.   A third sniff from Ethan, and Tim grabbed a couple tissues.  “Your nose is running.” He said casually, handing them over.

Ethan took the tissues without comment, turned and blew his nose, a wet crackling sound, once, twice, three times, folding the tissues until they were a small useless square which he crammed in his pocket.   “Thanks.”  He uttered, softly, giving Tim a small smile.   

“So TV?”  Tim gave the subject a complete U-turn.  “Wanna see what other sitcoms we can find from our high school days?”

Ethan laughed.  “Friends is always on somewhere.” 

“Perfect.”  Tim picked up the remote and began flipping through the channels, stopping when he did, in fact, find an episode of Friends.  Two episodes later, both were ready for their respective beds.

Edited by aggedy_ann

😍

(Question: would you be willing to consider warning for the one nausea mention? Only because I would have been fine with it if I’d known that was as far as it was going to go, but without knowing that, I enjoyed this bit less than I otherwise would have, because I was worried about if Tim would...do the thing.)

Edited by MyOwnPrivateSFC

Shoot!   Usually I do.   I will fix that when I get home.   And I promise it will never go further than the mentions because that’s all I can handle.    

4 hours ago, aggedy_ann said:

Shoot!   Usually I do.   I will fix that when I get home.   And I promise it will never go further than the mentions because that’s all I can handle.    

Good to know, thank you!

A little Dustin Centric in this part

Tim crashed again on the couch until about one in the morning when he heard someone coughing and rustling around in the kitchen.   He heard a string of, by now, familiar, soft, rapid sneezes, noticing they sounded tight and forced out.   Concerned, he grabbed his t-shirt from the floor next to the couch, and standing up, went to investigate.  

Dustin, in the dim light of a nightlight Ethan had in the kitchen, was setting up his nebulizer.   “Sorry I woke you,” he wheezed.  “Inhaler’s not working.”   

Tim nodded, then realized Dustin could barely see him.  He flipped the lights on, then doubled over with two harsh sneezes.  Ehzzsshoo, hehhrehhzzzoo!” 

“Thanks.”  Dustin inhaled deeply through his nebulizer pipe.   “And bless you.”  He wheezed again a few seconds later.

“Thanks.”  Tim took a set at the kitchen table with Dustin.  “Lights tend to get me sometimes.”

Dustin nodded, focused on his breathing treatment.   A couple minutes in, he checked his O2 sat.  “I’m still at 82%.  This isn’t helping either.”    He looked over at Tim.   “I really don’t want you to have to take me back in.”  He continued breathing in the aerosol.   

Tim paused for a minute, thinking back.   “Your mom ever do a hot shower to help?”  He asked.

Dustin’s eyes brightened with realization.  She’d made Ethan do that for him last time he’d been this sick.  

“Take the neb, go start the shower.  I’ll start some coffee.”  Tim instructed.   

Dustin nodded, carrying the machine to the bathroom and cranking the shower to hot, sitting down to continue the neb.   Tim was back to check on him moments later.  “Coffee’s brewing.  It’ll be done by the time you finish the neb.”

Moving the neb into the bathroom had done Dustin in.  He was so short of breath he could barely talk, and Tim could hear him wheezing.   Tim watched him work to relax his breathing as he took the medication.   He kept glancing at the oximeter on his finger.   His breathing finally morphed into a regular pattern but the wheezing didn’t stop and his respirations were shallow.    Again, he glanced at the oximeter as the machine started to make the spitting noise that indicated there was maybe a couple minutes left in the treatment.

HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”  His fit was followed by several wheezy coughs.   

“Bless you.”  Tim said, setting coffee on the bathroom counter.  “How do you take yours?”

“Black is fine right now.”   And Tim noticed that while he was still wheezing, it was less pronounced than before.

The nebulizer finished, and Dustin could say there was improvement.  His chest was still tight, but it lacked the elephant sitting on it.  He was sure he if he listened to his lungs, there would be wheezes, but they weren’t audible without a stethoscope anymore.     He took the coffee from Tim and took a drink, inhaling the steam from the shower and the steam from the coffee.    “I think the medication needs some time.”  He  said, exhausted.

“O2 sat?”

“86%.”

“Let’s give it a few minutes.”

Dustin nodded, leaning back against the toilet as Tim perched on the edge of the tub.  “Ethan going to be able to handle you tomorrow?” He asked, carefully, but honestly. 

Dustin looked over at him.  “We’ve done this before.”  He paused and coughed.  “Just not often.”  Straightening up, he went on, “last time I was this sick was the year before I got married, so 5-ish years ago.  I don’t usually get this sick.   Just sometimes, there’s something nasty going around.  Add that to asthma and year round allergies, and you have a recipe for something like this.”

Tim nodded.  Even without the allergies, his asthma tended to make him a target for things like that on a regular basis.  

Dustin coughed again, then took a breath.  “I think this is starting to help,” he commented, taking another sip of his coffee.  He and Tim began to engage in light conversation, Tim talking more than Dustin in an attempt to keep him calm and relaxed until Ethan knocked at the slightly ajar bathroom door.   

Tim got up and opened it.   Ethan was standing there, looking confused, but relieved to see them both fully dressed.  “What’s going on?” He asked, voice still sleepy.

“Oh! Do you need to…”

“Um, uh, yeah.” Ethan stammered, as Tim slipped out past him, and Dustin turned off the shower on his way out.   

Tim and Dustin took seats in the living room while Ethan was in the bathroom.   “How’s your oxygen?” Tim asked, tying to sound casual.

“91%.”  Dustin smiled and relaxed.  “I think we averted thiHihs..HahKishoo-kishoo-Kishoo-kishoo-Kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo.  He grabbed a tissue and sighed.  “I think we averted this crisis.” He sniffled, before holding the tissue to his nose and blowing until it was saturated, then reaching for, this time, two or three new ones.

“What crisis?”  Ethan demanded to know between Dustin’s wet, gurgling nose blows.   “This is my apartment.  I should know if there’s a crisis.”  He was starting to panic now.  

Tim spoke up first.  “It’s ok, Ethan. Dustin had an asthma attack.   The nebulizer wasn’t helping much, so we went for a hot shower steam and a cup of coffee.  Extra help for the nebulizer.”

Ethan’s face was unreadable for a few seconds before he doubled over with a powerful sneeze.  Atchoo!”  He straightened up and rubbed his nose, looking over at Dustin.  “You’re ok, now?  Or do you need the ER?  Should I listen to your lungs?  What’s your O2 at?”

Dustin coughed.  “I’m ok.  I don’t need the ER; we got things under control.  O2 is 91%.  You’re channeling my mom.  And it’d be great if you’d listen to my lungs.”   

Ethan fetched his stethoscope and placed it on Dustin’s back as Dustin attempted to take deep breaths without coughing.    Ethan pulled the stethoscope away.  “You’re wheezy yet, but not bad.  I mean, I’ve heard you worse.”   He stifled a yawn.

“Go back to bed, E.” Dustin told him.  “It’s under control now.”

Tim nodded.  “I’ll keep an eye on him for awhile.  If things change, I can take him in.”

Dustin nodded.  “We’ve got a plan.”

Ethan relaxed slightly.  “I can sit out with you for awhile.”  He paused, then muffled a sneeze in his forearm.    He cast a worried glance at Dustin.   

“E, we’ve got it.” Dustin tried to be reassuring, but ended up coughing for several seconds.   

Ethan yawned widely.  

“You’re tired.  Your sleepy sneezes are going to start.”  Dustin pointed out.  “Tim’s got this.”

Ethan glanced at Tim.  “You know what to do?”

“He’s gonna sleep right there, in that chair, sitting up so he breathes better.  He has another attack tonight, we go in.  I’ve got asthma, Ethan.   I’ve been here.  I can handle this.”

Ethan nodded, starting to relax more as Dustin grabbed another set of tissues.

HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo!.”

“Bl-“ Ethan started.

Dustin shook his head.  “More…coming.” He managed before ducking down into his tissues again.  “HahKishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”  He blew his nose again, leaned back and coughed harshly.

“Bless you.” Tim and Ethan said in unison.

“Sure you’re ok?” Ethan fretted.

“I won’t lie and say my chest doesn’t hurt and that my breathing’s been better.  I feel pretty rough, Ethan, but I think I’m ok.  Like Tim said, if it happens again, we’ll go in.  I won’t hesitate to wake him up.”

Ethan nodded, yawning again.   “If you’re sure.”  He coughed.  

“Go to bed, Ethan.  You need your rest, too.” Tim said, gently.    

Ethan nodded.   “If you’re sure.”  He said, hesitantly, bringing his arm up to his face again.  Hahshoo!”

“See, sleepy sneezes.  Go to bed, E.”  

Ethan plucked a tissue from the box on the coffee table and blew his nose, then slowly walked back to his bedroom.   

Dustin went back to the guest room to grab his pillows and blankets.  He made himself comfortable in the chair while Tim once again got comfortable on the couch.

“You sure you’re ok?”  Tim asked.  “You weren’t just trying reassure Ethan?”

“I’m ok.  Breathing pretty good right now.  But I’ll wake you if I have problems.”

Tim nodded.   “Good plan for me.”  He pulled the blanket up under his chin.  “Hopefully, you get some rest.”

They heard another sneeze from Ethan in his room, then silence and snoring as one by one they each fell asleep.

I’m a huge lurker, but just want you to know how much I’m enjoying this story. I found your previous ones too, and I love them just as much. 
Hopefully you’ll continue writing these characters. Dustin is my absolute fave, but I love them all.. xo 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 8:13 AM, Wow Really? said:

I’m a huge lurker, but just want you to know how much I’m enjoying this story. I found your previous ones too, and I love them just as much. 
Hopefully you’ll continue writing these characters. Dustin is my absolute fave, but I love them all.. xo 

Glad I could get you out of lurkerdom with this.  There will be more.  Thanks for reading. Xoxo

On 4/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, ickydog2006 said:

Love this installation. Would love to see Tim catch this from them.

well, Tim Gave it to Ethan (this follows the date series), but.....

@feo Thanks. 💕

next installment:

Tim slept restlessly; he couldn’t quite get comfortable on the couch again.   What brought him fully awake was the harsh sneeze from Ethan in the kitchen.

HahShoo!”  Followed by Ethan coughing softly and clearing his throat.   

“Bless you.”  Tim murmured, sleepily, as he walked into the kitchen where Ethan was setting up to make oatmeal.    

“I left you stuff in the fridge,” Tim reminded him with a laugh and a kiss to the forehead.    

Ethan tiptoed up to kiss Tim back.   “Throat’s still sore.  Thought oatmeal would feelgood.”  He had his hand pressed to his nose for the last two words, and as soon as he was done talking, he released another powerful “Atshoo!” into the back of his hand.  He looked up at Tim and shrugged, giving him an awkward smile.  “One, my fever broke, and two, I’m waiting for this to slow down before I call the doctor.”  He scrubbed his hands at the sink.   “Should probably wake Dustin, so we can coordinate appointments.   Don’t want him sitting in the waiting room like this.”

He handed Tim the oatmeal and went over to brave the task of waking Dustin.  Tim watched as he gently shook Dustin and cajoled him awake.   Finally, Dustin was fully awake, eyes open and talking.  “Now I know you won’t go back to sleep on me.”  Ethan handed Dustin his cell phone.  “Call…” his voice hitched. “Ahshoo!  Call your doctor.  I want your appointment scheduled before I do mine.   I’m not leaving your sick ass in the waiting room.  Still think you’ve got influenza.”   

Dustin grumbled and glared, but took the phone.

“You did last time you were this sick.”  Was Ethan’s last word on that.  “Anyway…” he paused.  “Let me know when your appointment is.  And there’ll be oatmeal…hahChoo! Ugh….knew that one wasn’t going away…oatmeal in the kitchen.”  He perched on the end of the couch, waiting.   

After a few minutes, Dustin looked up at Ethan.  “Can you get me there by 9:30?”  

Ethan looked at his watch.  “Yeah.”   He picked up the phone, called his own doctor and scheduled his appointment for that afternoon.  He sat down at the table next to Tim.   “1:00.” He announced.   “Dustin, neb before or after breakfast?”

Ethan was distracted from Dustin’s answer by Tim turning quickly away from him.  HuhhEhhddzhoo, ehhddggshoo.  Ugh.”  Tim straightened up, grabbing a napkin off the table and blowing his nose. “Excuse me.”

“Bless you.” Ethan chirped, a momentary flash of concern dashing across his face.   He started going over the plan for the morning with Tim, and was presently surprised when everyone was dressed, medicated and ready to go by 8:30.    

Tim headed home to feed Cashew, then head to work.    Ethan and Dustin headed off to fight the remnants of rush hour traffic to get to the clinic.   They were early, and after a close glance at Dustin, he was quickly taken to an exam room.   He was still running a temperature of 101, and was bent forward, sneezing, when the doctor came in.   HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”

“Bless you.”  She told him, handing him tissues, sanitizing her hands, then launching into discussion of Dustin’s present illness.   She frowned, ordered another flu swab and asked who he’d been in contact with while they waited for the nurse.    

Dustin whined about having the second swab done…they should have known it was too soon for the first one…but Ethan quickly placated with a promise to stop for his favorite chili if they had time before his appointment.   

That caught the Doctor’s attention as she entered the test.   “You have an appointment, too?”

Ethan nodded.   “Yes ma’am.  With Dr. Lewis.  For pneumonia follow up.”

“It’s not related.”  Dustin wheezed.  “He overworked himself with an ordinary cold.   This hit all in one day basically.”

The nurse entered to swab Dustin and the doctor pulled Ethan aside.   “If he’s got influenza, I don’t want you coming back in here.   I know it’s not related; I’ve taken care of you since you started working here.”

Ethan blushed.   His reputation to overwork himself certainly preceded him.   

“I’ll see you now.   Of course, your return to work is dependent on his test and your symptoms.”  Her words were covered by Dustin sneezing again as the swab was removed from his nose.  

Ethan helped Dustin put his shirt on and switch spots, having consented to having Dustin in the room with him.  Despite his lingering cough, she told him she was ready to let him go back to work provided his fever which had broken stayed that way.   She was asking Ethan and Dustin  how much exposure anyone else had had with Dustin when the results came back positive for influenza.   

Starting the two on tamiflu, Dustin as a treatment, Ethan as a preventative, she advised they call Tim as he should call his doctor and get started on it as well.  Beth and AdaLyn would need it if they were going to be around him going forward.   Ethan offered to have Dustin stay with him as he was already exposed and Dustin quickly agreed.

The doctor took Ethan off work for the rest of the week due to his exposure, much to his dismay, but he also realized Dustin was going to need some looking after.

Ethan took Dustin to the pharmacy, to the deli to pick up the promised chili and to his place for more clothes and medications.   Once Dustin was tucked into bed, and they both had a dose of Tamiflu in them, he called Tim.

Tim didn’t answer, so he texted him a quick message to call as soon as he got a chance.

Tim had been having a rough morning, and Ethan’s text didn’t make it any better.   He’d been trying to lead the writer’s round table between odd sneezes and an increasingly persistent cough.

HhhuhRhuhhchoo,  uhhrcshoo!”  Following two particularly harsh sneezes, he excused himself to give his nose the blowing it deserved and answer his phone call.

“Ethan, what’s up?”

“Dustin has influenza.”  Ethan was straight to the point.

“Shit.”

“You need to call your doctor, tell him you’ve been exposed and would like to start on Tamiflu.  It’s a preventative to keep you from getting sick.”

Tim coughed.  

Ethan was quiet for a minute.  “Are you sick?”

“I didn’t think so until now.   I thought maybe there was some dust in your couch and it was triggering my allergies and asthma, but that’s not going away.  And I’m stiff and achy, but, you know, your couch was not designed for a 6’4” guy who’s pushing 40.”

“I think you caught what Dustin has.”  Ethan sighed.  “I’m sorry.”

“Do I need a test?”

“Might be too soon.  Talk to your doctor.  Exposure and symptoms might be enough.  And you probably want to leave work…”

Tim sighed.  And coughed.  “I’ll go talk to Alex.”  He groaned, having a feeling he was going to feel a lot worse before he got better.  “Cahhhahhshoo..call….ahhHahshoo…call you later.”

“Bless you.  Talk to you soon.”  With a twinge of guilt, Ethan ended the call.

Tim went and pulled Alex out of the writers’ room, apologetically explaining the situation, stressing that he had insisted Dustin stay there.  Alex wasn’t pleased, but sent him home, instructing him to zoom in if he felt well enough to contribute.  It wasn’t that Alex was germophobic in anyway, but he was cautious.  If anything found it’s way to him, he either had to host the show ill or find a guest host, much to the chagrin of the network.   

Coughing, he gathered his things and headed home.  Once home, he called his doctor who didn’t hesitate in prescribing the Tamiflu and called it to his pharmacy.

Tim, suddenly exhausted, curled up on his couch with a blanket and Cashew and called Ethan.

“Hi.” He yawned, when Ethan answered.

“How are you feeling?” 

“Trying to find the energy to go to the pharmacy.” Tim sighed.

“Go.  You gotta start the meds.”  Ethan paused.  “Dustin’s staying here so he doesn’t expose his wife and daughter.”  Another pause.  “Do you want to come over?”

Tim coughed. “I’m too tired to drive back and forth.”  He pressed a tissue to his nose, cutting off Ethan’s response.  HeyyChushoo…UhhChuu.”  A few more coughs.  “Sorry, what?”

“Bless you.  I meant…to stay…again.   You’re going to feel a lot worse.  I’m already exposed.  This way you don’t have to expose anyone else if you need anything.”

Tim hesitated.  Ethan was right.  He was going to get sicker; he didn’t want to expose anyone else.  

“You sure you don’t mind.  I mean, it was my idea to bring Dustin there.”

“Irrelevant.  I’ll just worry if you’re alone; I don’t know if I’ll have my hands full with Dustin to check on you enough.  If you’re here…”

Tim paused, rubbing his nose, trying not to sneeze again.   Ethan already being exposed…well, he wouldn’t have to risk getting anyone else sick.   He knew his neighbors would run out and get him things, but, he didn’t want to expose them either.

“After all,” Ethan continued, “you took care of us.  Consider it passing it on.”

“HuhhRuhhshhh, RuhhHuhhrsshoo!”  Two violent sneezes exploded from Tim, barely giving him a chance to move the phone or bring his tissues to his nose.  “Sorry.” He apologized, breathlessly.

“‘S alright.  Bless you.   Think about it.”

Tim wavered, sniffling.  “Hold on.  I have to blow my nose.”  He set his phone on the coffee table, pulled several tissues from the box and gave his nose several deep, crackling blows.   “Sorry.”  He apologized again, picking up the phone.  

Ethan laughed.  “You’re fine.  Want time to think and call me back?”

Tim paused.  A couple days on Ethan’s couch wouldn’t be all bad.  At least he wouldn’t be alone.  “I’ll pack a bag and come over.  Let me arrange for someone to take care of my cat.”

“Don’t forget the pharmacy.” Ethan reminded him.

Tim nodded, though he knew Ethan couldn’t see him.   “Right.  You guys need more tissues or anything?”

Ethan laughed.  “I think we’re stocked.  Just bring anything you like when you’re sick.  See you soon.”

Tim hung up the phone and set about repacking his bag.  After a quick shower and a stop at the pharmacy, he was at Ethan’s.   Dustin, wrapped in a blanket, answered the door at his knock and ushered him in.

“Ethan decided there wasn’t enough food,” he explained.  “So he’s at the grocery store.”  He took the pharmacy bag from Tim and set it on the kitchen table.   “Im under orders to send you straight to bed.”

“Let me just stash this in the guest room.”  He held up his bag.  

Dustin shook his head.  “He wants you in his room; he’s taking the couch.”

“I can’t take his bed.” Tim protested.  “I’m fine on the couch.”

Dustin laughed.  “You can try taking it up with him.”  He paused, holding up his hand as he brought his arm up to his face.   “HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.  Ugh…sorry.  He figures if you’re in the bedroom, you can rest without being disturbed if someone’s in the kitchen or something.”

Tim sighed.  It made sense; he just felt guilty about Ethan giving up his bed.  “Do I have to lay down right away?  I’m not exactly tired.”

Dustin laughed again.  “I’m supposed to be in bed, too.  But, I can’t sleep.  The chair in the living room is off limits, but grab a blanket and join me on the couch.”

Tim grabbed a blanket out of the closet and wrapped up in it, sitting on the opposite end of the couch from Dustin.  “What’re you watching?”

“Truthfully, I don’t even know.” Dustin admitted.   “It was some game show, then I fell asleep.”

Tim laughed, then blocked two sneezes with the back of his hand.  EhhhChushhh…hehhrrChhudsshoo.”  He sniffled and wiped his hand on his jeans.

“Bless you.”  Dustin grabbed the tissues from the end table and placed them between them.

“Thank you.”  Tim grabbed a tissue and gave his nose a loud, wet blow.  

Dustin picked up the remote and found Jeopardy on TV.  “This look good?”

“Yeah.”  Tim shifted around on the couch and got comfortable.  Too comfortable because by the time Ethan got home, he was asleep.

Ooh! The plot thickens! 😍

• 1 month later...

And here’s more.  Sorry for the delay.   This may branch off into a third part, but I think I’ll just title it here and keep it in this thread.   

Ethan was home close to an hour later.  Dustin, still awake, put away groceries as Ethan brought them in.  “Got enough orange juice?” He teased, placing the third gallon in the fridge.

“I don’t want to run out.” Ethan said simply, coughing harshly.   The three trips to the car had done him in.  He grabbed a glass of water for a long drink.  “How long has he been asleep?”

Dustin shrugged.  “About an hour.”

“I’m waking him.  See when he’s due for more cold medicine, if he started the Tamiflu.”

The next thing Tim was aware of was someone gently shaking his shoulder.  He blearily opened his eyes, raising his fist to his face and coughing.     

“Hey.” Ethan’s voice was soft.

“Hi.”  Tim rubbed his nose.  

“How ya feeling?”

“Achy.”  Tim’s voice cracked, and he cleared his throat.  “Achy,” he tried again.  “Tired. Stuffed up.  Keep coughing and sneezing.  Little bit chilled.  Like a bad cold hit hard and fast.”   

Ethan chuckled.  “Sounds about right.  Did you start the Tamiflu?”

Tim shook his head as Ethan picked the thermometer up off the table.  “Honestly, I forgot about it.  I set the bag on the table and started talking.”

“Can you grab it?” Ethan called to Dustin, scanning Tim’s forehead.  “99.1.   The fun is just beginning for you.”

“I wouldn’t exactly call it fun.” Dustin commented, handing over the pharmacy bag so Tim could dig out the antiviral and setting a tall glass of water on the coffee table.  He curled back up on the couch, wrapping his blanket around his shoulders.

“Still chilled?” Ethan asked, concerned, as Tim swallowed the capsule.

Dustin nodded as Ethan picked up the thermometer again.   Dustin ducked away.  “You took it before you left.  It was 101.2 then; doesn’t feel like it’s changed.” His tone was sharp.   

Ethan frowned, but backed away with the thermometer.   “Drink all the water,” he urged Tim as Tim wrapped his blanket around himself.   

“Need anything?” At Tim’s head shake, he frowned again.  “You both should be in bed.  Especially you.”  He gave Dustin a pointed glance.

“Not tired.”  

“No tv in the guest room.”

Ethan sighed, trying not to point out that Tim had been sleeping when he got home.  A glance at Tim.   “Did you eat lunch?”

“Sandwich.”  Tim answered quickly, turning towards the couch.  Huhh’Ehhshoo, ehhxxshoo, ahhEhgschoo, ehhhdshoo.”  

He turned back, sighing.  Dustin kicked the tissues closer, and Tim engaged in an equally powerful nose blows .   

“Bless you.” 

Tim let out a few rough coughs with Ethan nudging the water closer.   

“Cold medicine?”   

After a glance at his watch, “A couple hours ago.  When I got home from work.”

“Still wish you’d lay down.”

“Let me finish the water.”

“Fair” Ethan glanced at the TV.  “What are we watching?”

“Game show network.”

Ethan rolled his eyes.  “Family Feud marathon.”

“You know it.” Dustin coughed.  

Hatshoo.”  Ethan buried the sneeze into his forearm.

“Bless you.  How are you holding up?”

“I’m alright.  You heard the doc.  If it weren’t for you, I’d be back at work tomorrow.”

“Sorry.  Thanks for letting me stay here.”

“No sense in exposing…” He stopped as Dustin grabbed a tissue from the box next to him.  

“HahKishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kishoo-kshoo-shoo-shoo-shoo…HahKishoo.”

“Bless.  No sense in exposing Beth and Ada.  Especially since I’m already exposed.”

“Hope you don’t get it.”

Ethan nodded.  “The Tamiflu should prevent that.”

He shifted his gaze to Tim as the younger man started coughing.   “That sounds rough.” He commented after Tim took another drink of water.

Tim nodded.  “Yeah.”

“Breathing ok?”

“So far, so good.”

Ethan glanced back at Dustin.  “Yours?”

“Pretty good.  I mean, with the nebs and inhaler, but I’m ok.” He paused to cough.  “Really, E.  I’m ok.”

Ethan did not look reassured.   “After this episode, you both are going to bed.” He put down the ultimatum.  

Another burst of harsh, wheezy coughing from Tim, and Ethan looked over with concern.    

“Okay?” He asked, voice starting to sound hoarse again.

Tim nodded, breathless.  “I’ll be right back,” he managed.  He got up and slipped from the room, the movement of him pulling his inhaler from his pocket not going unnoticed by Dustin.

Ethan cast a worried look over at Dustin.

“Inhaler.” Dustin mouthed.

Ethan frowned, remembering how Tim’s asthma had flared up with the cold he’d had two weeks ago.   Was the influenza going to be too much for him?  Should he be taken in and seen?

Dustin seemed to read his mind.   “He’ll let you know what he needs, Ethan.”  He rubbed fiercely at his nose, then grabbed a tissue for a strong blow.  “Hopefully, that will hold off the next round of sneezes for a bit.” Came his comment.

Hah’Ehshoo, Ehhshooo, uhhrehhshoo, rehhshoo, uhhrsushh, uhhhrushhoo, hurhhhshooo, huhhhRuhhshehh.”   

Violent sneezing came from the hallway, and Ethan looked to see Tim bracing himself against the wall with one hand, other elbow blocking his face.  He finished sneezing and ducked back into the bathroom.

Dustin and Ethan heard the faint sound of harsh, crackling blowing as Tim emptied his nose into tissue after tissue, followed by another set of sneezes.   Tim emerged a minute later, red faced, red nosed and sniffling.

“Excuse me.” He apologized, stuffily.

“God bless you.”  Ethan looked at him with concern.  “You ok?”

Tim shrugged.  “I don’t usually sneeze like that.” He was apologetic.   “Not that…I don’t know.  Those took a lot out of me.” He confessed.   

Dustin nodded.  “It’s been doing that to me, when I start and don’t stop at night.  I’m just exhausted by the time it quits.  Did that last time too.   When Ethan had it a few years ago, he had a cough that wouldn’t quit and did the same thing.  Influenza plain sucks.”  

“I always have a sneezing fit before I get a cold, but it’s not that…intense.” He coughed. “I guess that’s why I didn’t pick up on this.”

Ethan nodded.  “I really think you should lay down.”  Concern creased his face.  “You ever have this before?”

Tim shook his head.  “Don’t think so.”

“You’re in for hell.”  Dustin commented.   “Get some rest.”

“You too.”  Ethan ordered, weakening it by pulling a tissue from his pocket.  Hashshoo!”  He blew his nose quickly.  “I mean it. 

Dustin stood up and slipped off to the guest room while Ethan escorted Tim the master bedroom.