Sneeze Fetish Forum

Is there any way to remove allergens from fabric without washing it?

MoonDuck

Not sure who to ask, but I'd expect someone here to be an expert on it. Backstory: Few days ago I got a hand-me-down silk comforter from my grandma, but it smelled like old people so I hung it in the garage without the cover to air out and then moved it to the porch for sunlight. Slept with it and the next day thought I might have caught The Thing based on sore throat and nose troubles, but Zyrtec cured me... It's so warm and comfortable so I still sleep with it, but I can tell it still messes with my sinuses.

I can't wash it because it's silk. Any ideas? 

dry cleaner?

Edited by •.*°•☆. Q .☆•°*.•

I would assume the answer is no. Allergens are microscopic particles, so the only way to remove them from fabric that they've most likely been embedded in is to clean the fabric. 

I tried using a lint roller to remove cat dander from my bed linens once; because I thought if all the hair came up problem solved, right?

Nope. I woke up a few hours later with the worst allergy attack & swollen eyes.

I think a proper cleaning is the only that gets rid of allergens on fabric material.

As mentioned above, utilizing a dry cleaning service is your best bet. 🙂 After all, that's what it's there for.

Thanks for the insight! Dry cleaning didn't occur to me. I'm hesitant to, considering current diseases situation, but I'll look into it. I might try vacuuming it to see if that helps as well.