Sneeze Fetish Forum

A Sneeze RPG (Hotfix 3/1/2021)

Blah!?

Version 2/7/2021

Download Link

So…

After basically shutting myself in all day and neglecting everything else I was supposed to do, I have a little demo of an RPG Maker game I’ve been working on. For now this is just a demonstration of mechanics, there’s no story or anything yet, but it’s at a playable phase and I figured I’d share it with the world. Hopefully this won’t suck away my motivation to actually make something more out of it.

There are Windows and Mac OS X versions available, though I have no way of verifying if the Mac version actually works. If someone could let me know, that would be great.

Everything here is very rough and very silly, but hopefully it’ll prove a fun demonstration. I know there’s simply no way a goofy RPG Maker game is going to be some sexy horny masterpiece, so I’m not really even trying to go for that. My end goal is to create an RPG with a nice story and likeable characters that also has a bunch of sneezing thrown in for fun. It has no title or original art or actual plot or finalized characters yet, but we’ll get there.

There aren’t really any secrets to be found, but you can interact with all the flowers on the map for a few little things I made to practice working with the event system. You can also run around in the grass on the right side to get into some battles and play with the sneeze-based battle mechanics.

Also, brownie points if you know where I stole the menu music from.

Edited by Blah!?
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blah!?

• Zracken3

• poiub

• mysterysneeze

Yo, the game is pretty simple, so far! Though I haven't experienced much of it due to the little pollen slimes attack animation's not being able to load. It just makes the game not work, and I have to restart each time.

Yay, a game! I've said it before, and I'll say it again here: we need more games from this community. Games are , I feel, the perfect medium because they're interactive. And, of course, RPGs are the best game type...and no, I'm not taking questions! 

As for this game, I see a ton of potential here. We have almost nothing on any of the characters, but I already sort of like them. The combat mechanics, as bben9 said, are bugged at the moment, but I'm still excited to see how sneezing gets incorporated into the mechanics and not just the narrative. I think it's great if a sneeze game is able to incorporate the sneeze part into the actual game part. That said, I'd still enjoy the sneezes in the narrative, no doubt! I really liked the one fiery sneeze in the game already; it's just another thing that has a lot of potential.

It's tough to say how or if I could do so, but I'd be open to helping with this project somehow, such is my desire to see it developed. I don't have any experience as a game designer generally or with RPG Maker specifically, but I'd be willing to learn. Aside from that, I'd also be open to collaborating on the story and character elements; I have some experience with writing those things. And, of course, I'd also be more than willing to be a playtester! XD

Oh, and the menu music is from The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III. I'll take my brownie points now. :tongue:

Thanks for the heads up! I've uploaded new Windows and Mac versions of the demo to the same folder linked in the top post.

Deploying the game gives an "exclude unused files" option which I hoped would cut down on size, but apparently the way it determines which files you've "used" or not is a bit finicky and it was excluding at least part of the combat animations. I'm just including everything for now, so the demo should run but unfortunately the download is larger. If later versions of the game become excessively large, I'll probably manually remove all the default content that I'm not using.

37 minutes ago, Zracken3 said:

I think it's great if a sneeze game is able to incorporate the sneeze part into the actual game part. That said, I'd still enjoy the sneezes in the narrative, no doubt!

This is pretty much my philosophy in a nutshell here. I feel like I struggle a lot with balancing a good amount of sneezing with the not always fetish related story that I want to tell in my writing, so for something like a game, I definitely wanted to find a way to tie sneezing into the mechanics rather than having it just be a regular old RPG where the characters sometimes sneeze in cutscenes. I had an idea for this years ago, but I never ended up making anything real and sadly I seem to have lost all my notes from it. I do remember bits and pieces and some of them are still here, but moving forward I think this is mostly going to be all new.

As far as collaboration goes, I'm always happy to bounce ideas around, and having playtesters will definitely be a big help. I'd probably prefer not to do all of that out in the open though, and I'm not sure what a good way to contact you would be.

31 minutes ago, Blah!? said:

As far as collaboration goes, I'm always happy to bounce ideas around, and having playtesters will definitely be a big help. I'd probably prefer not to do all of that out in the open though, and I'm not sure what a good way to contact you would be.

I agree that we shouldn't collaborate in the open. Getting in touch is hard since I'm not a member and don't have access to PMs yet. All I can say is I have a YouTube account with the same name you could look for. I have contact info there, but I won't post it here. I also have accounts on PSF and sneezfurs, which I am able to PM with and share the same name.

@Zracken3 I remembered I made an account on PSF back when this site went down for a long time, shot you a message over there.

Looks like there's a new sneeze game in town, nice. The one that I've been working on is also made in RPG Maker.

22 hours ago, Blah!? said:

I know there’s simply no way a goofy RPG Maker game is going to be some sexy horny masterpiece, so I’m not really even trying to go for that.

I would actually disagree, there's many things you can do in the engine that can shape the kind of game you want to make. I have over 600 hours in RPG Maker MV, so feel free to reach out if you need help with anything. 

Perhaps this will motivate me to work on my game more?

I know that the Nintendo Switch has a game on it that has RPG maker built into the game, but other than that I haven't seen much with RPG maker besides youtube videos and this forum. What you have created here so far Blah is a sweet surprise! I didn't expect you to do this, but what you have created so far is a fun idea! I like the three different party members and each one can have a status done on them during the battle I had with the pollen slime. Something cool you did was not to make the status go away after the battle. The characters have to spend time walking outside of battle to clear the status effect.

I love when a sneeze causes something to happen, and magic sneeze scenarios are incredibly fun. I love the differences with the sneezes here in your game too! The main playable character doesn't have the same spelling or the same kind of sneeze each time. Depending on which thing she interacted with, her dialogue was different and even the sneezes themselves were different in how they interacted with the environment. That is awesome you took time doing that!

Thank you for creating this demo. Games take a lot of time and effort. Do not overwork yourself, but enjoy what you do for the game!

Your game was fun! I enjoyed it 😃

Wow, I really appreciate the interest and enthusiasm! Thanks so much!

No new demo for now since I'm still in the middle of tuning a lot of things up, but I figured I'd share some of my progress:

I've redesigned the protagonist a bit, I guess the minty hair just wasn't doing it for me. I'm ultimately still at the mercy of RPG Maker's character generator, but I've managed to add a few parts that have really come in handy. Clover was also just a random placeholder name at first, but I've really come to like it and I think I'm going to declare it final for her.

I’m going to keep the demo island in place (with a few minor changes) so people can still jump right in and mess around, though I will probably remove it eventually as the game progresses. Clover will sneeze plenty in the narrative right off the bat, but she doesn’t start out with her sneeze powers and attacks right away, so I figure the demo area can stay if people just want to have fun. In my current build there’s an NPC you can talk to on the island to leave and start the actual story. For the beginning of the real game, there’s an obnoxious scrolling text intro, after which you’ll be deposited in Clover’s tent:

9367050ac4d07af56793b30a23608f6469979123

I have the starting area outside the tent mostly built, though there’s not a whole ton to do there yet. Only one combat instance, and random encounters won’t start showing up until the next area. However it does have conveniently placed fallen logs and NPCs to keep you from going the wrong way. I don’t want to give too much away yet, but I will say I think Clover 2.0 has a much cuter pre-sneeze face:

7d3bd26653e098f06d4b8eccb98dcb31b71e6e18

That’s all for now! I might release an updated demo once I have more playable areas finished, but I ain’t makin’ promises.

Hey again! Things are coming along nicely, but for now I have a super important question:

Since there’s no audio for dialog and not much room for descriptive text or narration, I wanted to see how people feel about including spelled-out stuffy talk when it becomes relevant. Feel free to share your opinions, or just vote in the linked poll.

Also, no matter the results, I solemnly swear to never use the dreaded stuffy-talk C-word.

https://strawpoll.com/hvqxk1g9b

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Blah!? said:

Hey again! Things are coming along nicely, but for now I have a super important question:

I voted "Yes, but very sparingly." I think spelling out the mispronunciations like that can add to the immersion, especially when the dialogue is entirely text-based. However, too much can make it annoying or difficult to read, and it places more of a burden on your shoulders to have to spell everything out phonetically.

Thanks for all the votes! Both yes answers are ahead by a country mile, with plain Yes having slightly more. To that end, I've been including some stuffy talk in dialog, but also trying not to go overboard. Hopefully it's to everyone's liking! For now, here's another quick update:

I think I’ve pretty much finished what I consider to be the prologue of the game. I’m definitely at a state where I could release a new demo, but I want to make a bit more progress first. The main reason for this is Clover doesn’t start the game with her sneeze powers, and I’d like to get the area where she does to a playable state before I release anything more. The demo island is feeling more and more vestigial as I go, so having a new, more current place for people to play around with sneeze combat would be nice.

To that end, the biggest mechanical change I’ve made is how the sneeze attacks actually work. The game will explain this too when you get to the right moment, but basically Clover has a “sneeze gauge,” the SP meter that will appear once you get to this point in the story. Sneeze attacks cost SP to use, and they’ll also be more powerful based on how much SP Clover has. Essentially, the more she has to sneeze, the stronger her sneezes will be. But, if her SP meter ever fills all the way up to 100, she’ll have a sneezing fit and be out of control for a turn.

During a sneezing fit, she’ll sneeze anywhere from one to four times in a row, using a random sneeze attack for each one. This can be good for burst damage, but it’s also completely out of the player’s control, so it could end with her wasting a bunch of SP on enemies and attacks you didn’t want to use. Still, I never want to make sneezes feel like a penalty or punishment, so they’ll never hit your other party members or cause something truly bad to happen during combat.

Also, balancing stats is hard and manually placing trees to use as walls is a pain in the ass. I think it can look nicer and it provides some variety from every map having cliffs for borders, but it definitely takes a lot longer to set up.

cf377b68542f6670c948fce43fd2217b0b0a53c3

I don’t want to show anything from the story just yet, but I’m hoping to have a new demo ready by the end of the weekend, possibly Monday.

Man, it looks like things are coming along very nicely. And in such a relatively short time period; I can't imagine how much work has been going into this. Whatever it is, though, it's certainly paying off, judging by the screenshots. The maps look beautiful, and the story and mechanical elements seem to have developed a lot. I really can't wait to see the next demo if and when it's released, but just seeing these teaser pictures is already astounding. Great job!

And the tree walls are definitely worth it, in my opinion!

Aaand it’s about that time, folks.

Don’t care about any of this stuff and just want to play? Click here right now!

After going absolutely nuts for a week, I’ve finished what I loosely consider to be the game’s prologue. I wanted to make sure I got to a point in the story where Clover actually has her sneeze powers, and so here we are. I don’t want to give away anything from the story, but I’ll leave you with this little teaser:

379771e4ce5ec1a82f5857a0f3e0b9608574fb0b

This has really been a labor of love, so I hope everyone enjoys playing it as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it! Sadly I think my real job is about to get pretty busy for a couple weeks, so it might be a little while before I can make more significant progress, but honestly I’m happy to have come this far already.

I’d love to hear any feedback anyone might have, particularly in the following areas:

- If you have a Mac, does the game even work? The fact that no one’s said anything so far leads me to believe it does, but I unfortunately have no way of testing the Mac version myself.

- Any bugs? I haven’t encoutered anything game breaking, but there’s gotta be something out there.

- How’s the combat? If I had to choose I’d prefer to have the game be more on the casual side, but I also don’t want it to be pointlessly easy. I feel like the combat might be a little difficult, but I’ve been able to run through it a few times without using any of the new equipment you can find and without stopping just to grind for levels. I’d definitely be interested in getting some other perspectives.

- Is the stuffy talk too much? Given the results of the poll I decided to include it, but I’ve also been trying not to go overboard.

- Is there anything in the game you don’t understand? I’ve added a couple tutorials, but it’s always a challenge to find a balance between making sure the player is informed and avoiding bringing the game to a halt by overexplaining things.

I suppose the last big thing is the game really needs a title. I’ve been thinking about “A Nose For Adventure,” but I also wrote a story with a very similar title not long ago, so I’ve been trying to think of something more distinct. Either way I’d like to stop just calling it “SF Game” at some point.

I'm bad at giving out a good review, but I really enjoy the game so far! The story set, and the characters seem, really likeable, even with the few shown so far! One thing that was a teeny tiny bet stressful was the amount of random enemy encounters. I ran into an enemy every few steps, not really even giving me the chance to really explore, and collect the little that I could collect. I feel like the encounter rate, could be nerfed a bit, so players could get the chance to breath.

Blah!?...you have certainly outdone yourself. I don't know what else to say except that that was incredible! I'll try to be a bit methodical about what I thought was great so that I don't end up gushing incoherently. I'll also offer a few critiques/oversights.

First, the pros. Right away, the game looks absolutely beautiful. You have done an excellent job designing diverse environments within the limits of RPG Maker. The mechanics are great too, as I feel I have a variety of ways to go about combat even at this early stage. Balancing on this end was pretty well done too; enemies feel like a problem, but they're definitely defeatable. I can't imagine how much better things will be in the future with more varied enemy types, skills, items, and party members. Tutorials were also well-given; I think the addition of the book to check mid-game is a great way to let the player determine how much help they need. And I think the thing that sticks out the most in this game is the writing. I should have expected it given that you were making it, but the story pacing and character development is magnificent. Both party members -- and a lot of the NPCs -- carry a lot of personality right off the bat. The plot feels sensible and moving through it seems natural. The sneezes, too, were well-incorporated into the narrative -- a significant challenge for any sneeze-based game. Beyond all of this, I love the little things that were added to the game. The extra items in areas you don't have to go is always a great idea, and it makes me want to explore all of the pretty maps you've made even more than I would otherwise. The little bits of flavor text when interacting with things you don't need to also feels rewarding for those that like to explore. Lastly, the little bits of humor in the item descriptions and otherwise (his poor cabbages) really show how this game was a labor of love...and also who authored it! :laugh:

Now, I noticed a couple of things that could be changed. First, like bben9 said, the random encounter rate feels too high. I'm not sure what work would have to go into rebalancing experience distribution, but there is definitely too much stopping for fights. Perhaps each encounter could be made more challenging. Not only would it make encounters feel more meaningful instead of routine, but it would allow the story to progress much smoother. The second (very minor) thing I found was that you can walk through the east wall in the room shown in your screenshot.

Those are my initial thoughts on this wonderful project. To answer some more of your specific questions:

- I think the stuffy talk is fine as is. Very immersive, but not so incoherent and distracting that it's annoying or difficult to read. I think it adds to Clover's character as well, to be honest.

- I think "A Nose for Adventure" is a nice title name given that it's part of Clover's character description. That said, if you're looking for something more unique, perhaps naming it after the main character could work. Something like "Clover's Curious Journey" or "A Tale of Clover's."

I will definitely be replaying this masterpiece, so I'll let you know if I find any other bugs or things that need work. Hope this helps, and great job again!

This is so freaking great dude I love it

The game is genuinely fun and interesting even without the sneezy aspect

The characters are distinct and consistent, and the writing is really funny!

Combat didn't seem to hard but my characters were often low on health after a fight so I had to use mana and health pots quite a lot. Which is fine I suppose but feels kinda clunky after a while. Random encounter rate did seem a bit high. Maybe one per screen would be good if that's possible - so once you've fought your mobs you can explore with impunity? And if you want to grind XP or loot you can just keep moving between two screens to reset the counter.

The stuffed up dialog was great to me and not distracting at all.

Combat was fine and intuitive once I'd done a few fights. I'm excited to see what additional sneezes and inducers Clover finds as she carries on! Only thing I'd note is that the status text in combat (Clover is stuffed up with pollen, etc) seems to flash up and disappear immediately rather than waiting for a user input to clear, which can make it very easy to miss if not paying attention.

Anyway niggles aside, AMAZING, hope to see this continued.

This is adorable and I love it. If more is coming I will be on that line!

Am I terrible for hoping for a romance within the party? ☺️