Sneeze Fetish Forum

I really want to delete my entire account

sauce

I mean, erase every trace of me from here. Everything. Every comment, too. It’s just…something I want to move away from and not think about again. I tried contacting the admins but so far have received no response. 

thank you 

Mods are busy with their irl lives so forgive the lack of response. But as stated in our FAQ section, we do not delete accounts. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause!

@sauce
Forgive my question but would you have such a bad memory of this community ? You still have almost 300 messages on the forum, spread over several years since 2008. You have already created some interesting topics which have been successful. It's your choice of course, but it amazes me to see you go. What is preventing you from leaving your account active and not coming back to it ? Maybe you will want to iron in a few years ? :unsure:

@oOMariusOo I don't know why this user in particular wants to delete their account, but there are a couple of reasons I can think of.
1. someone they know irl knows they post here and they'd like to remove any personal information visible to the public. 
2. they are ashamed of something about posting here and would like to remove it (reading stuff I commented as a kid or even recently makes me want to shrivel up inside)
3. they want to move on to another stage in life and this is something they want to put in the past

Sauce, you could edit your signature and About Me page on your profile to remove more information, if that's something you're also concerned about. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 9:42 AM, SneezyHolmes said:

Mods are busy with their irl lives so forgive the lack of response. But as stated in our FAQ section, we do not delete accounts. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause!

Can I request particular posts from my history be deleted? How to go about it?

There really should be a mechanism for account deletion, going through hundreds or thousands of posts to manually remove info which may connect an account to a person is too much of a hassle and leaving everything forever is not a very nice move. Most of the stuff on here is public and at some point I virtually guarantee private messages and non public threads will be dumped somewhere if the forum stays online long enough.  Quite a few accounts probably have enough anecdotes and stuff like birthdays connected to them to be at risk of identification in some scenarios.

I think marking all posts of deleted accounts as simply from a deleted account would be a nice improvement since it would at least make connecting dots a  lot harder when we have a decent number of deleted accounts. That along with deleting their PMs.

Unfortunately, that's not up to us. It is the site owner's decision to prohibit account deletion and the content there of.

Edited by SneezyHolmes

Try contacting Invision (links at the very bottom). They comply with EU data protection laws, which might (I can’t stress the word “might” enough) allow you to have them remove or totally de-identify your posts. It’s worth a shot. 

20 hours ago, poiub said:

Can I request particular posts from my history be deleted? How to go about it?

At most they can be hidden. Use the 'Contact Us!' feature and they will be reviewed.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, RB said:

Try contacting Invision (links at the very bottom). They comply with EU data protection laws, which might (I can’t stress the word “might” enough) allow you to have them remove or totally de-identify your posts. It’s worth a shot. 

Uhhhhh that would probably cause headaches for the site owners, who are busy already.

6 hours ago, webmeistro said:

Uhhhhh that would probably cause headaches for the site owners, who are busy already.

Yeah. Honestly, I think that’s more likely to backfire than anything else.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:42 AM, SneezyHolmes said:

That is really messed up, is it even legal?

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

Given the fact that users agree to the site's rules upon signing up, I would presume so but I'm not a lawyer. Staff did not create the rules, the site creator/owner did and we are obligated to follow them unless otherwise directed by the site owner/any potential law enforcement.

19 hours ago, SneezyHolmes said:

Given the fact that users agree to the site's rules upon signing up, I would presume so but I'm not a lawyer. Staff did not create the rules, the site creator/owner did and we are obligated to follow them unless otherwise directed by the site owner/any potential law enforcement.

From my understanding, if you accept users from the EU, then they have a right to request deletion, and the company has to come up with a legal reason why not.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives individuals the right to ask for their data to be deleted and organisations do have an obligation to do so. There are a few exceptions which do not apply for this case.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Maxx said:

To be fair, even massive organisations like Facebook don't delete accounts (merely deactivate them), unless a massive legal challenge is issued. It was all there is the small print right form the beginning, but generally no one can ever be bothered to read the terms and conditions. I suspect Invision had similar caveats.  

14 hours ago, NoV said:

To be fair, even massive organisations like Facebook don't delete accounts (merely deactivate them), unless a massive legal challenge is issued. It was all there is the small print right form the beginning, but generally no one can ever be bothered to read the terms and conditions. I suspect Invision had similar caveats.  

This is a false statement, you can delete your account: https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674?helpref=faq_content. Even if this would have been the case, this is a fallacy. You have the right to ask for the deletion, blocking or erasing of the data and for good reasons.

Regarding your last comment, Invision states:

The personal data must be erased for compliance with a legal obligation in Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject;

Edited by Maxx

At this point, moderators cannot delete accounts even if we wanted to. Only the site owner and I think, possibly, admins too but neither are around so if this is truly an issue then Invision will need to contact HoL as us mods have not been able to reach him.

Edited by SneezyHolmes
  • 7 months later...

I'm not sure if it is too late to post on this, but because it isn't locked I'm going to give it a shot. If you would rather my post not be on here, mods are welcome to delete it. I don't post on this site very often, so although I am aware of the rules I sometimes struggle with how they work in practice.

I just want to say that I agree, and I think that it's messed up. If somebody wants to delete their account that's their business. I have a particular thread that I enjoy going back to from time to time, but it has a record of a younger me, right before something traumatic happened, promising a fic trade that never went through. The time to apologize to this person has unfortunately come and gone oh, though it was never my intention to leave it unresolved. I have no excuse other than unforeseen circumstances and a complete lack of technical knowledge, and it's still embarrassing for me to think about. Imagine if somebody's whole Canon of content was this embarrassing to them. A fetish is a sensitive thing, and the idea that you don't have control over your own content is actually quite scary. It makes the site feel unsafe. I can see myself reading a great deal here, but not posting much.

My understanding of GDPR is that it predominantly applies to personal information. Your posts are not generally contained within the legal definition of personal information. With regards to the right to erasure, I found the below. According to this, any posts made when a person was below 18 fall under GDPR, as well as the data contained in someone's profile. Members can scramble their own personal information and username, whereas the staff can do that for validating members who may not have access to this. I believe that satisfies the requirements under GDPR. The Owner may choose to do more, but if I understand correctly, those are the legal requirements.

Right to erasure

Someone can request the deletion or removal of their personal data, including information published online. Someone can also request for all of the posts they made on a website when they were under 18, such as on a social network, to be removed.

On 2/13/2022 at 1:14 AM, Hereforthefiction said:

I'm not sure if it is too late to post on this, but because it isn't locked I'm going to give it a shot. If you would rather my post not be on here, mods are welcome to delete it. I don't post on this site very often, so although I am aware of the rules I sometimes struggle with how they work in practice.

I just want to say that I agree, and I think that it's messed up. If somebody wants to delete their account that's their business. I have a particular thread that I enjoy going back to from time to time, but it has a record of a younger me, right before something traumatic happened, promising a fic trade that never went through. The time to apologize to this person has unfortunately come and gone oh, though it was never my intention to leave it unresolved. I have no excuse other than unforeseen circumstances and a complete lack of technical knowledge, and it's still embarrassing for me to think about. Imagine if somebody's whole Canon of content was this embarrassing to them. A fetish is a sensitive thing, and the idea that you don't have control over your own content is actually quite scary. It makes the site feel unsafe. I can see myself reading a great deal here, but not posting much.

Could you let me know which post that is? You can send a link via Contact Us. When I look on your profile, I cannot find any post apart from this one, as it may be archived. We are generally happy to remove individual posts within reason.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:11 AM, TheCakeIsAlive said:

My understanding of GDPR is that it predominantly applies to personal information. Your posts are not generally contained within the legal definition of personal information. With regards to the right to erasure, I found the below. According to this, any posts made when a person was below 18 fall under GDPR, as well as the data contained in someone's profile. Members can scramble their own personal information and username, whereas the staff can do that for validating members who may not have access to this. I believe that satisfies the requirements under GDPR. The Owner may choose to do more, but if I understand correctly, those are the legal requirements.

Right to erasure

Someone can request the deletion or removal of their personal data, including information published online. Someone can also request for all of the posts they made on a website when they were under 18, such as on a social network, to be removed.

Just a note, the GDPR applies to all citizens of the EU, not only to those below 18. This means that any business or organisation which holds, and processes, the personal data of these citizens has to comply. This is the case no matter where in the world the business or organisation is based.

Edited by Maxx
15 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Just a note, the GDPR applies to all citizens of the EU, not only to those below 18. This means that any business or organisation which holds, and processes, the personal data of these citizens has to comply. This is the case no matter where in the world the business or organisation is based.

I am not disagreeing with that at any point. All I found with regards to content posted that does not fall under the header of personal information, was that the right for erasure seems to be limited to children only. Personal information: universal right of erasure within the limits of GDPR, content posted which falls outside those bounds: not covered if you're over 18.