Sneeze Fetish Forum

Inquiry: is this scenario fanfic or original fic?

PetalPunk

I had an idea for a fic, and it will be a while before this idea sees the written page, but I'm wondering--when it's ready for the public eye--where to put it. 

I have this idea to write a story but have the main characters be real people, like celebrities. Think of it as a casting call. I have this story and I need actors to play these two parts in my story and I want IRL/familiar names to play these characters. 

For example, like Adam Scott playing the male part and Natalie Portman playing the female part. At this time, I don't know if I'd be writing parts for characters named Adam and Natalie and thus playing versions of themselves or these would be totally made up characters but to have a familiar face to picture, these totally fictional characters would be played by Adam Scott and Natalie Portman. 

Please let me know your thoughts and if this is something readers would be curious to read. 

I would LOVE to read a story like this! My personal preference would be made up characters with celebrity photos as reference for how they look, but it's up to you, and I'm sure everyone has their own tastes. I just feel more comfortable when they're completely made up 😅 And in that case, you would know for sure that it goes in original fic.

Hope you end up writing it! I've been craving a Hollywood fic for a while 😍

It would be original if the characters are made up and otherwise it's a "real person-fic" (that tag would be "Rpfiction", and no, it actually doesn't mean "role play" in this context. ☺️).

I'm among those who are fine with real person-fics as long as they're actual public persons - such as Hollywood actors, talkshow hosts, politicians, news anchors, sports stars - but everyone have different opinions about this. You do you! 👍😀 Just make it clear in advance if it is real people-fic so readers can choose if they want to read that. 

Edited by Chanel_no5
On 7/8/2021 at 9:48 PM, Oolia said:

I would LOVE to read a story like this! My personal preference would be made up characters with celebrity photos as reference for how they look, but it's up to you, and I'm sure everyone has their own tastes. I just feel more comfortable when they're completely made up 😅 And in that case, you would know for sure that it goes in original fic.

Hope you end up writing it! I've been craving a Hollywood fic for a while 😍

On 7/9/2021 at 2:55 AM, Chanel_no5 said:

It would be original if the characters are made up and otherwise it's a "real person-fic" (that tag would be "Rpfiction", and no, it actually doesn't mean "role play" in this context. ☺️).

I'm among those who are fine with real person-fics as long as they're actual public persons - such as Hollywood actors, talkshow hosts, politicians, news anchors, sports stars - but everyone have different opinions about this. You do you! 👍😀 Just make it clear in advance if it is real people-fic so readers can choose if they want to read that. 

Thanks for your feedback. I am leaning toward original characters but for references on who to picture, I'd use real names of famous people. Like a character named Sally played by Demi Lovato. In that case it would go under Original fiction with the "Rpfiction" tag

On 7/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, Chanel_no5 said:

So, who would you consider a non-public real person? Like a run-of-the-mill -YouTuber, maybe? Because if I were to write a fic with real people from my personal life, for example, you would never even know it. It might as well just pass off as an ”Original fiction”. 🤔

11 hours ago, Saimou said:

So, who would you consider a non-public real person? Like a run-of-the-mill -YouTuber, maybe? Because if I were to write a fic with real people from my personal life, for example, you would never even know it. It might as well just pass off as an ”Original fiction”. 🤔

Youtubers, twitch streamers.. private citizens that just happen to be doing some live streaming of whatever. Also the next door neighbour or classmate or whatever if their identity is clear from how it's written and so on. 🤷‍♀️ That's my personal view on it, anyway. 

Before anyone calls me out on hypocrisy, yes, I have written fics based on people I've known in the past - I don't anymore - but they have not been identifyable from names and descriptions so yes, I would fit that into original. 

Edited by Chanel_no5
9 hours ago, Chanel_no5 said:

Youtubers, twitch streamers.. private citizens that just happen to be doing some live streaming of whatever. Also the next door neighbour or classmate or whatever if their identity is clear from how it's written and so on. 🤷‍♀️ That's my personal view on it, anyway.

Okay, that actually makes sense. Thanks for the clarification ;). As for me, I don’t really mind fics that involve ”non-public” real people, at least as long as the writer has said person’s approval, but to each their own. If it was not made clear in the fic itself or in the author’s notes, or whatever, that the people are real; or especially, if the characters were just inspired by real people, I would probably consider it an original fiction, the former case is kind of a grey area for me; otherwise definitely real-person fic.