Sneeze Fetish Forum

Sick Assist (Hockey RPF, Geno)

favrielle

Hello everyone! This is my first fully-fledged SF story, and I think I'm pretty proud of it!  It's hockey RPF - a fandom I never thought I'd get sucked into. It's Sid/Geno, but the slash is pretty mild. I didn't want to use their last names in this, because I don't want it to come up too easily in Google searches, etc. But both these guys play for the P*ttsburgh Pengu*ns and they are hockey soulmates!

A note about Geno's dialogue: He's Russian and has a very heavy accent, and his English grammar is not the greatest. I've listened to enough interviews and read enough fic that I think I did an okay job. That, combined with certain misspellings to give a "congested" sound to his speech could make things a little confusing, but I hope everything still makes sense.

The title is the best hockey pun I could come up with. An "assist" is when you are one of the players who helps score a goal. So it's like, "Sick assist, bud!" I thought it was funny.

This is the most self-indulgent thing I've ever written, and honestly I had a great time!  I have an idea for another fic that I might try next, but we'll see how this one goes!

Sick Assist

“Geno?” The front door creeks open and Sid steps into the dimly-lit entryway of their house.

“Id here…” he hears the deep, congested reply from the living room.

“I got some stuff for you at the store.” Sid walks into the kitchen, setting the bags on the counter. He glances over at the couch. Geno’s head is peeking over the top of it, the tv playing quietly behind him.

“Whad you ged?” His eyes look tired and glassy, and his hair is sticking up all over the place. A result of lounging on the couch all day, probably.

“Let’s see…some orange juice, tea, cough drops…NyQuil, and,” he walks over to the back of the couch and places a box on top of it, right near Geno’s head. “Lots of tissues.”  Geno grabs the box before it has time to topple off the couch.

“Ugh, thanggs Sid; you best.” He sniffs as he rips the top off the box, trying to keep his nose from running. His timing couldn’t have been better; just as he gets it open and is able to grab a couple tissues from the box, his breath starts hitching. “Huh…uh…ha-EEESSHH!” He buries his face into the small pile of tissues in his large hands, body curling forward with the effort. “Ughhhh…” He wipes his nose, throwing the wadded up tissues towards the small wastebasket he brought over specifically for this purpose. “I’m go through so bany today,” he says, pulling more from the box, “Id’s so-hah….so- eh-ccXXHHghh! …So bad.” He blows his nose, sinuses crackling as the pressure shifts.

“Jeez, is the other box gone already?” Sid walks around the couch to the coffee table, grabbing the empty box to get rid of it.

“Yeah, I use ahh- all.” He rubs his finger against his nose, hoping to quell the itch. “Can’t staaah- hah- can’t stop snee-RRSHHH-ahhh” he sneezes into his bare hands, caught off guard. “….sdeezing.” He looks at Sid over his steepled hands covering his face. He looks miserable.

“Aw, bud, you’ve had a rough day, huh?” Sid says, running a hand through Geno’s hair.

Geno looks up at him, disgruntled. “Don’t joke Sid. It suu-sucks!  All heh- all day I’m try to relax,” he reaches for more tissues, “stuck ond couch, can’t go to practice because- hiiXXRRSSHH!” he groans into the mess of tissues under his nose. “Face is exploding.” He takes a deep breath and gives a long, gurgling blow. “Just wand to stop.” He leans back on the couch, breathing through his mouth, dialing up the dramatics a bit for sympathy.  Sid’s eyes travel up his long body. He’s so cute in his hoodie and sweatpants, with his flushed face and pink nose. It’d be hard to deny him anything.

“Do you want some orange juice? Tea?” He takes his chances and darts out a hand to feel Geno’s forehead. Geno narrows his eyes at him, then swats Sid’s hand away after a moment.

“Fever was yesterday, Sid, all gone now.”

“Okay, fine. Just checking.” Sid starts heading back to the kitchen.

“And baybe…hhrrESSSHH! …sombe tea?”

Sid gives him a soft look. “Comin’ right up.” Sid putters around the kitchen for a bit, starting the electric kettle. “Are you hungry at all? You should probably eat something.”

“Hmm, a little hungry, yeah.”

“Good, because I stopped at that Apteka restaurant and got some borscht. Surprise?” He holds up the bag he had left on the counter, unopened. Geno turns back to him, shocked.

“Really, Sid? Yes! Sounds so good right now.” Sid smiles.

“Well, I’m sure it won’t be the same as your mom’s, but hopefully it’s pretty good. I’ll heat it up.”

“Thaaa-ahTTSSHH! Thagg you.” He wipes his nose then balls the tissues up, aiming for the wastebasket, cursing when it bounces off the rim.

“You’re picking those up; I’m not touching them.”

“Finddd. I will in a binute. You so picky.” He snuggles back down into his cocoon of blankets, turning back to the tv. Sid just rolls his eyes. He’ll give him a pass today. Once the tea is done and their soup is reheated, he brings everything out to the coffee table. He sits down next to Geno, who is splayed out on the sectional end of the couch.

“You need anything else?” he says, handing him his mug of tea.

“No, is perfect. Thanggs agaid.”

“No problem,” Sid says, bumping their shoulders together. Geno takes a sip of his tea and sighs. It feels amazing on his throat, which has basically been scraped raw from sneezing all day. He gets one more sip before the steam starts to tickle his nose. His breath starts to hitch as he tries to shove the mug into Sid’s hands without spilling it. Sid grabs it just in time to watch Geno turn away from him as best he can and aim two uncovered sneezes toward his other side. ha-ESSSSHHH! Heh-ha-RSSSHHOO!”

“Gross, man.” Geno pulls two tissues from the box beside him, glaring at Sid as he blows his nose.

“You already sick before; why you worried?” He tries again to throw the tissues in the wastebasket, this time succeeding.

“I’m just saying,” says Sid with a shrug.

“Is your fault anyway.” He sniffs as if to emphasize his point.

“Hey, you know when someone on the team gets sick it’s just a matter of time before everyone has it.” Sid reaches for his soup and starts digging in. Geno grumbles but reaches for his bowl as well.

After a minute, Sid asks, “How is it? Does it pass the test?”

“Yes, very good Sid. Nod as good as mama’s, but nothigg is.” He takes another bite. “I think we go here again.” Sid smiles in response, happy his idea worked out. They finish eating, watching whatever Russian show Geno had on. At least he had the subtitles on so Sid could follow along somewhat. Geno was back to contentedly sipping his tea. Sid was grateful to lounge on the couch after a long day and a good meal. He looks at Geno, “You gonna go to bed early tonight? Get some sleep?”

Geno hums, “I don’t know…might watch another episode.” Sid eyes him. He looks sleepy already. As if to purposefully contradict him, Geno’s nose starts itching. He rubs at it with the back of his hand, trying to get it under control. “Ughhh…not again.” He leans his head back, as if entreating the heavens to make it stop. Unfortunately this has the added effect of him looking almost directly into a ceiling light, only making the situation worse. He breathes through his mouth, breath starting to hitch. Sid grabs some tissues quickly, placing them into Geno’s hand and leaning away. “Huh…eh…” Geno closes his eyes and lurches forward with the force of it. “HAH-ESSHH! huh-xxRRSSHH! Ah…hahhh…ha-XXCCHHH-uughhh.” He stills for a moment, catching his breath. Sid leans back in and rubs his back in long, soothing strokes.

“Ow,” Genos says pathetically.

“You okay?”

Geno clears his nose into the destroyed mass of tissues. “Oh by god, I just want this over.”

“I know, bud.” Sid’s hand moves to the back of his neck, fingers running through the hair there. “You’ll feel better in a couple days.”

Geno sniffs, nose glowing pink, “Don’d want to wait days.

“Maybe it’ll be less if you go upstairs and get some sleep,” says Sid, giving him a knowing look. Geno sighs and looks back at him with glassy eyes.

“Yeah, you right...I’m probably fall asleep during show anyway.” He sits there for a moment, reluctant to move. Then he shoves the blanket off his lap and heaves himself up, making his way over to pick up the tissues that had missed the basket, as promised. Sid turns off the tv and grabs the bowls to take to the kitchen, Geno following with his empty mug.

“I can take care of these,” Sid gestures to the dishes, “You head upstairs.”  Geno sets his mug on the counter and turns to envelope Sid in a big bear hug, shocking an “oof!” out of him.

“Love you,” Geno mumbles into his hair. Sid wraps his arms around him and presses his face into Geno’s neck.

“Love you too.” They stand there for a quiet moment, holding each other. Then Geno breaks away.

“Okay,” He leans toward the counter, grabbing the other box of tissues Sid had unpacked. “I’m take this with me.” He gives Sid a joking smile, tongue sticking out a bit. Sid just laughs at him.

“I’ll be up in a minute.” He watches Geno go. Once he’s disappeared up the stairs, Sid hears a distant, “hah-EESSHHOOO!” Sid shakes his head with a small exasperated laugh. Hopefully they’ll be able to get some sleep tonight.

~ The End ~

I love hockey, big strong guys who are sick and, of course, sneezing. I hope to read more about these, even though I follow SHL, not NHL. 🙂

Also agree that I love the thought of big strong men having no control against a tickle in their nose! Usually colds are not my go to when it comes to reading stories… but you did a great job and I really enjoyed this! Kudos and thanks for sharing! 😊

On 9/26/2021 at 6:24 AM, EveP said:

I love hockey, big strong guys who are sick and, of course, sneezing. I hope to read more about these, even though I follow SHL, not NHL. 🙂

Thank you! I also love hyper-masc guys being brought down by illness. The bigger the man, the bigger the sneezes! I don't know much about the SHL, but I do know I love Patric Hörnqvist and he's Swedish!

I have at least one idea I might make myself write (but probably won't for weeks). Maybe a rookie Geno being sick with a bit of contagion (which I hate that I like). Or maybe rookie Sid being sick and trying to convince his team/coach he can still play. 😅

On 9/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, ItchyNostrils said:

Also agree that I love the thought of big strong men having no control against a tickle in their nose! Usually colds are not my go to when it comes to reading stories… but you did a great job and I really enjoyed this! Kudos and thanks for sharing! 😊

Thank you so much! Gotta love those big men. 😍  I'm glad you still liked it even though colds aren't your go-to.  I think I prefer cold scenarios, deep down, but it has to be really specific and I can get grossed out very easily. Which I guess is why it's nice to finally be able to write my own!  Allergies are much more safe for me, but in the end, a bit less effective. 😅

24 minutes ago, favrielle said:

Thank you! I also love hyper-masc guys being brought down by illness. The bigger the man, the bigger the sneezes! I don't know much about the SHL, but I do know I love Patric Hörnqvist and he's Swedish!

I have at least one idea I might make myself write (but probably won't for weeks). Maybe a rookie Geno being sick with a bit of contagion (which I hate that I like). Or maybe rookie Sid being sick and trying to convince his team/coach he can still play. 😅

I love that you spelled his name correctly. Those three extra letters we have in Swedish can be confusing.

I'm looking forward to reading more from you. Both ideas sound great! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 7:26 AM, starpollen said:

Very cute. 🥰

Thanks! 😊

On 10/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, EveP said:

I love that you spelled his name correctly. Those three extra letters we have in Swedish can be confusing.

I'm looking forward to reading more from you. Both ideas sound great! 🙂

Haha, I made sure to google it to make sure the spelling was correct!

Right now I'm working on a little ficlet where Brad Marchand is allergic to someone's perfume during an interview. His personality can be questionable at times but his nose is to DIE for and I couldn't help myself. It might take me a week or two to get that finished and cleaned up, but that's probably the next one coming.

I'm not sure if I should post it in here and keep this as a Hockey RPF general post, or make a new post for it. I'm afraid if I put it here it'll get buried and I can't add more tags to it like "allergies," etc. So it might be its own thing!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love more pairings through the NHL if you’d want to continue? I love Kane/Toews, Seguin/Benn and Marner/Matthews 

On 10/20/2021 at 12:14 AM, Loverofreading said:

I would love more pairings through the NHL if you’d want to continue? I love Kane/Toews, Seguin/Benn and Marner/Matthews 

I do love Tyler Sequin, but unfortunately I don't know too much about the other pairings. My main ship is Sid/Geno and I haven't branched out too much from them yet. I'm going to post a little allergy drabble about Brad Marchand today, though!  I also started a side-tumblr called hockeynoses that I feel very silly about but it's been fun so far. I think I only have one follower! Haha.

This was cute.   I’m not supposed to admit this but I do like Sid.  (You can guess which side of the battle of PA I cheer for).   You’ve got Sid captured just the way I imagine him to be in my head (I’ve never met him).

On 10/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, favrielle said:

I do love Tyler Sequin, but unfortunately I don't know too much about the other pairings. My main ship is Sid/Geno and I haven't branched out too much from them yet. I'm going to post a little allergy drabble about Brad Marchand today, though!  I also started a side-tumblr called hockeynoses that I feel very silly about but it's been fun so far. I think I only have one follower! Haha.

Totally understandable! I am down for more Sid/G or any more you’re inspired to write!

On 10/24/2021 at 12:43 AM, spookedy_ann said:

This was cute.   I’m not supposed to admit this but I do like Sid.  (You can guess which side of the battle of PA I cheer for).   You’ve got Sid captured just the way I imagine him to be in my head (I’ve never met him).

Aw, thank you so much! I'm glad you think I captured him right. That's always a concern for me, but I feel like I've read enough fic and watched enough interviews that I have an okay handle on them. :)

Ahhhh a Flyers fan! I won't tell on you, haha.