Sneeze Fetish Forum

handkerchief salesperson appreciative comments

launderedlace

I've just remembered some background from when I bought this handkerchief and a couple of identical ones, and wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences. I'd taken the handkerchiefs to the haberdashery sales desk in an up-market department store; the saleswoman, perhaps not unreasonably assuming I was buying for a female friend, commented in a friendly manner

'They're really pretty, she'll love these'

176708714_HouseofFraserresized1.jpg.c2013d069d4f8336ac7ef71859ffd083.jpg

I certainly agree it's a pretty handkerchief: quite small but the fact that the embroidery goes to the centre, in my view, adds a touch of class. The handkerchief's  made from thin material, as can be seen from the underlying black stitching showing through in the second photo but, to be fair, it's consistently risen to life's snotty challenges

So, back to the main point: has anyone else had appreciative comments, from a handkerchief seller, about what they've been buying ?

1549143405_HouseofFraserresized2.jpg.78e31e30c42c3f963098ec0db67087f6.jpg

Now that handkerchief's been consigned to the laundry basket, I thought I'd switch to another one that also came highly appreciated by a different seller. This time, the sale was on eBay and involved a family heirloom; as sometimes happens, the previous owner was happy to provide background

'As for the history - I'm so pleased you've asked. Part of the reason I've taken to listing items on eBay is my feeling that it is the best way to ensure the items we have find the right new home. I really am so pleased you found these; and delighted beyond measure that the handkerchiefs are being admired and enjoyed'

1765494058_Flaceresized1.jpg.8349a010c4d0867974a5526ae399157b.jpg

So, just in case any other SFF handkerchief fans are also admiring and, okay, virtually enjoying this particular handkerchief, here's another pic of it

761905102_Flaceresized2.jpg.6b6f1c56a60136b5f8794bb2089248d4.jpg

I have a feeling it's only a minute or two away from receiving its first snotty blow!

I bought a pack a few months ago. 

The lady who was serving me, she was maybe mid 50s, said:

"There's such a good deal on those today, and you can never have enough hankies. The men's ones are great because they're nice and big - I use them when I have a cold. I don't like tissues". 

Apparently hankies are quite the conversation starter

On 1/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, Trynasneeze said:

I bought a pack a few months ago. 

The lady who was serving me, she was maybe mid 50s, said:

"There's such a good deal on those today, and you can never have enough hankies. The men's ones are great because they're nice and big - I use them when I have a cold. I don't like tissues". 

Apparently hankies are quite the conversation starter

A while ago, I was perusing the vintage linen stall at an antique fair (the location that inspired a scene in 'The Embroidered Handkerchief Distraction - The Fiction'). A fellow browser, a woman in her fifties, struck up, 'Oh, I've just got so many lace handkerchiefs at home.' Which didn't at all stop her looking through the lace handkerchiefs on the stall. My missed opportunity was in not asking her if she used her lace handkerchiefs and whether she had one with her at the time

• 1 month later...

This might not be the logical place to post but, for a while now, I've been thinking about an 'attitudes to lace handkerchiefs' survey. Here's a draft version -all constructive comments welcome, including more response options in addition to (a) - (h). If there are no comments, that's also fine, and will certainly tell me something!

Attitudes to lace handkerchiefs survey (draft version)

It's 2023, and few people would claim that lace handkerchiefs have a particularly high profile. Which of the following statements do you agree with?

a) a world where more people sneeze and blow into lace handkerchiefs would be a better place. Let's not worry that they're often tiny - just carry half a dozen of them!

b) lace handkerchiefs belong in the dustbin of history; in fact, show me a lace handkerchief, and I'll show it the bin!

c) the starring role that lace handkerchiefs once held in mild flirtatiousness, particularly handkerchief dropping, should be revived

d) most lace handkerchiefs have been abandoned, quietly mouldering along with stale lavender-scented sachets, at the back of drawers for the past fifty years. Let's leave them there or, if feeling generous, give them a chance at a charity shop

e) lace handkerchiefs can play a part at vintage-themed weddings, and certainly perform well in dabbing away those tears of joy or a discrete sniff

f) I really couldn't care less about lace handkerchiefs, either way

g) although lace handkerchiefs can't be expected to deal with snot, they are attractive and can be repurposed to make pretty decorative objects. They might even be tucked into a pocket or bag and be on display, but not actually used

h) lace handkerchiefs always have been, and always will be, completely ridiculous and impractical. Anyone who says otherwise can't be living in the real world!

On 2/24/2023 at 1:10 AM, launderedlace said:

This might not be the logical place to post but, for a while now, I've been thinking about an 'attitudes to lace handkerchiefs' survey. Here's a draft version -all constructive comments welcome, including more response options in addition to (a) - (h). If there are no comments, that's also fine, and will certainly tell me something!

Attitudes to lace handkerchiefs survey (draft version)

It's 2023, and few people would claim that lace handkerchiefs have a particularly high profile. Which of the following statements do you agree with?

a) a world where more people sneeze and blow into lace handkerchiefs would be a better place. Let's not worry that they're often tiny - just carry half a dozen of them!

b) lace handkerchiefs belong in the dustbin of history; in fact, show me a lace handkerchief, and I'll show it the bin!

c) the starring role that lace handkerchiefs once held in mild flirtatiousness, particularly handkerchief dropping, should be revived

d) most lace handkerchiefs have been abandoned, quietly mouldering along with stale lavender-scented sachets, at the back of drawers for the past fifty years. Let's leave them there or, if feeling generous, give them a chance at a charity shop

e) lace handkerchiefs can play a part at vintage-themed weddings, and certainly perform well in dabbing away those tears of joy or a discrete sniff

f) I really couldn't care less about lace handkerchiefs, either way

g) although lace handkerchiefs can't be expected to deal with snot, they are attractive and can be repurposed to make pretty decorative objects. They might even be tucked into a pocket or bag and be on display, but not actually used

h) lace handkerchiefs always have been, and always will be, completely ridiculous and impractical. Anyone who says otherwise can't be living in the real world!

So sorry to those who love lace hankies but I am somewhere in the middle of E F and H. They seem very pretty and decorative and would make a nice crying hanky for a wedding or funeral but don't seem super practical for deal with snot

3 hours ago, Trynasneeze said:

So sorry to those who love lace hankies but I am somewhere in the middle of E F and H. They seem very pretty and decorative and would make a nice crying hanky for a wedding or funeral but don't seem super practical for deal with snot

No need to apologise - thanks for replying! I think it's pretty clear that lace handkerchief lovers are now a tiny minority of the population, otherwise we'd see them being used all the time. Of course, there might be a few people who'd like to try them but don't, for whatever reason (hey, maybe there's another survey topic!) My main issue in providing those responses, (a) to (h), was to try and get a fairly wide spread of options. That said, I know I still skewed them a bit, as there was always a 'pro lace handkerchief' response preceding an 'anti lace handkerchief' response. I'll never make a professional pollster!