Sneeze Fetish Forum

"Practice Makes Perfect" Org. (M) Updated April 4 - (5 Parts)

tma

"Practice Makes Perfect"

Fandom: Original

Authors Notes: This is just a drabble type of thing. Different type of style. Not sure if this "he"/ "she" thing is working or not... also.... you'll note a lack of spelled out sneezes. I just don't have a particular sound yet for this specific character... so... I apologise for no spelt out sneezes... I hope that's alright.

Feedback: Rocks... good/ improvements that I can make- either way

Update- they now have names... Amazing. lol! Nams aren't used often, but...

His long thin fingers curled around the coffee mug. Thin tendrils of steam wafted into the air. He absently pursed his lips and blew gently over it.

Alicia came down the hall and he felt his heart beat just a touch faster, and hoped that no hint of rose had begun to creep over his features, and that the sudden warmth that he felt was a combination of the mug and not feeling well.

He looked up, smiled shyly and gave a quick wave.

She looked over, a spark of recognition lit her eyes and a sunny smile illuminated her face. Was it his slightly fevered imaginings or was there a little spring to her step as she turned and crossed over to say hello?

She held out her hand as if to offer a greeting, but he simply held up the mug as an excuse. He didn't want to offend, but didn't quite want to admit that the reason was that he was trying to avoid to pass along what he felt sure that he was coming down with. He wasn't sure why he didn't just admit to it- part had to do with not wanting to give her an excuse to walk away. She asked how things were and he quickly manuvered the conversation back around to her.

Her eyes were sparkling, and hands gestured about as she related what had been happening. Unfortunately he had begun fighting a growing impulse to sneeze and now she appeared to be looking at him expectently. He gave a quick sniff and desparately took a quick look around to see if the approaching class would be his salvation. Drat!

Then he looked over and noticed her eyes shutting down. The friendly smile was still set firmly in place, but it lacked the warmth of it's predecesor. He had managed to muddle it somehow.

He opened his mouth to try to repair what damage that he could, but he felt his breath catch, and he ended up barely finishing the word, "Wait" before turning to the side and stifling two wet and harsh sneezes into the elbow of his dress shirt. He managed to keep most of the tea in the confines of the mug- only managing to have a couple of drops jump out and splatter. Of course one was on his formerly light blue shirt and the other spot, which was infinately more dangerous was on her beige tank top.

"I-I'm sorry" he exclaimed as she murmured a blessing. His face felt like it was on fire, and he wasn't sure where to look or what to do next. It would be rude to clean up his own shirt first, but it would be obviously inappropriate to even hint that he had noticed that the tea had managed to splatter right in the middle of her chest. He ran a hand distractedly through his short black hair, and heard her clearing her throat as if to get his attention.

He noticed that the twinkle was somehow back in her eyes, and as puzzled as he was about that, he was glad. "It looks like your calvary has come." she quipped with a grin.

Now he was stumped. She gestured down the hall at the group of children approaching. He hadn't even thought about the time. With a quick "Sorry. Thanks for stopping and chatting." he directed his gaze to the next project.

She chuckled at Greg's absent-mindedness as she went on her way. She wasn't sure if this afternoon meant what it might have meant- or if she was falling victim to her overactive imagination.

*********************************************************************************

He felt worse the next day, as he had suspected that he would. He debated picking up the phone and calling in- he even held the phone in his hand as his fingers trace the outline of the pattern of numbers just above the surface of the phone. But in the end he had put the phone back in the cradle and got ready for the day.

Even on the way in, he asked himself why he had put the phone back. The concert is coming up, there is too much to do, report card grades are due in a week... - those excuses all were at the ready, but he knew that the underlying reason was one that he didn't want to admit to.

He heated up some chicken soup for lunch and ate it at his desk. Unfortunately he hadn't timed his "dosing" well and the stuff he had taken this morning was exiting his system, but he couldn't have anything till after the next class. He shook his head in consternated wonder at the rules for medication in schools. Evidently not even teachers were spared from the indignity of having to go to the nurse.

He laid his raven head down on the desk, just for a moment. He came to with a start when he heard the soft click of heels entering the room, and muffled giggles. He pushed up his glasses and struggled to get back to buisness.

His cheeks began to burn as he glanced her way. Alicia looked sympathetic, but if she was, at least she was mercifully restrained, not making any comments in front of the children. He cleared his throat, made a quick comment about naptime being done with, which both amused and re-focused the children. Getting out the guitar and quickly tuning it, he felt, rather than saw her eyes upon him. He made sure that they sang songs that the class knew really well, hoping to hide the thick, gravelly quality of his voice behind the loud, exubertant singing.

He made it through the class with only one incident. Unfortunately he was in the middle of strumming when they snuck up on him, allowing him just enough time to quickly turn to the right, muffling a trio of harsh, wet sneezes more into his shoulder than his elbow. The fingers of his left hand were still pressing on the strings. And the guitar seemed to bob slightly along with his head. In between sneezes, as he fought against the next sneeze, he saw her through his watery brown eyes, looking over at him.

"Bless you" the children pronounced in a sing-song unison voice.

He missed whether she had been a part of the chorus or not. But he murmured a quick "Thank you" along with an "Excuse me... I'm sorry... where were we?" and everything started back up.

As the children filed out of the room, she asked if he'd be staying for a bit afterward. He nodded, in what he hoped was a non-chalant way, not trusting his voice. "Alright... take care." she murmured. He wasn't quite sure why she asked, but was hoping in spite of himself that she would find her way back down there at the end of the day.

He somehow made it through the rest of the day. He felt completely drained and ready to go home and crash, but still he had made it.

He'd leave now except for two things. First of all, and most pressing, he didn't think that he could get up from his chair if he wanted to. But if he could... he had to admit to himself that he'd be loathe to do so before he had seen her.

Going over his lesson plans for the week, his eyes grew heavy. He removed his glasses and rubbed his long fingers down the length of his face. Then he lay his ebony head on the deak, just for a minute.

What felt like a minute later, he woke with a start to something cool on his forehead.

She jumped back. "I... I'm sorry if I woke you up."

He flushed and tried to gather his thoughts, "No... it wasn't. I just... What were you doing?"

Her cheeks pinkened adorably and she studied her heels intently as she answered. "I just thought that you looked like you weren't feeling good. I thought that maybe I could check." she chuckled nervously, "Without being conspicous. Of course the non-conspicious part failed miserably, but... you did feel warm. Do you need to take something?"

He hung his head, "What time is it?" his voice started to break bit on the last word and he held up a hand and turned sharply away as he delivered two harsh, wet sounding sneezes into his elbow. He looked up gave a small involuntary shudder and tossed his head back and directed two more into the same spot.

"Bless."

"I'm sorry." he said congestedly, grabbing at some tissues on the desk and walking over toward the window to quietly blow his nose.

She wanted to go over to him to rub him on the shoulder, pat his arm, something. But she didn't want to frighten him away and as self-conscious as he seemed, she figured that any type of touch might send him scurrying away. So she just calmly brought things back on track. "It's twenty after three." She reached into her purse and pulled out a bottle of Motrin. "I have some if you want."

He nodded mutely and she put a couple into his outstretched hand, both of them trying to dismiss the flood of heat that ran through their body at that slight, innocent touch.

:D

I was lazy, slept in and skipped a study session; now it's useless to study as you have once again melted my brain. :lmfao:

I love this. :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

Aww this is such a sweet story :lol: I love sneezy musicians.

He made it through the class with only one incident. Unfortunately he was in the middle of strumming when they snuck up on him, allowing him just enough time to quickly turn to the right, muffling a trio of harsh, wet sneezes more into his shoulder than his elbow. The fingers of his left hand were still pressing on the strings. And the guitar seemed to bob slightly along with his head. In between sneezes, as he fought against the next sneeze, he saw her through his watery brown eyes, looking over at him.

"Bless you" the children pronounced in a sing-song unison voice.

He missed whether she had been a part of the chorus or not. But he murmured a quick "Thank you" along with an "Excuse me... I'm sorry... where were we?" and everything started back up.

Loved that bit :) - very cute.

• 1 month later...

“So what did you need?”

She started a bit at that.

“You had asked me if I was going to be staying after…,” he gently reminded her.

“Oh… yes.” She lightly cleared her throat, “It… was just was about the project that my class has coming up…” her voice trailed away.

His cheeks grew rosy, “I… I completely forgot to respond to your email last week, didn’t I?”

She nodded silently, but there was a gleam of humor in her eyes. “It’s… it’s all right. There is still some time left to sort things out.”

He shook his head in frustration, “But now I’ve completely thrown your schedule off. I’m… sahhh… “ his voice trembled and wavered on that half a word for just a moment before he turned as far away as he could and directed a triple into his elbow. “Sorry.” He finished, looking boyishly penitent.

“Bless.” She couldn’t help but shake her head in wonder and bemusement at him. “You sound awful. Just go home. I’m sure that we can sort it out another time.”

He didn’t want her to leave. However, how could he ask her to stay without seeming inappropriate? He couldn’t think of anything. So he nodded silently, and then he watched her pack up and leave, heels clicking out a beat as she strode down the hallway.

He shivered as the icy wind whipped at him. Sometimes he really hated winter. He sighed as he brushed off the car- managing to get some on his jacket. He couldn’t wait to just get home and snuggle up under a blanket.

He put the key into the ignition… nothing… again… nothing. That’s when his eyes caught hold of the button for the lights… he had left the lights on. He sighed in frustration and covered his face with his hands.

When he looked up, he spotted Alicia, all bundled up, running over to him with a concerned expression.

“I noticed you out here.” She explained, “What happened?”

He told her the problem. She quickly offered to jump the car.

He looked at her, the gratefulness so apparent in his eyes, that it almost made the words, “thank you” that he uttered seem redundant. He went to get back into his car, but she lightly touched his back.

“My car is warmer. Why don’t you do that ignition and I’ll take care of yours?”

Greg looked torn. Obviously still wanting to be gallant and polite but yet just wanting to be warm, and really not feeling like putting up to much of a fight.

“Come on.” She urged, “If it were me or someone else who was sick and stranded, you’d do the same thing.”

He shrugged mutely but acquiesced.

After three failed attempts, she offered up her cell so that he could call AAA. She sat quietly as he gave the information. “Two hours?” he questioned hoarsely, then nodded and sighed. “All right.” He had started to give them some additional information, when the phone was snatched away.

“Actually, if you could send someone out in the morning around 8:45- that would be fine. Thanks.” She closed the phone.

“But… what… you…I needed…” he broke off from his string of disjointed utterances to deliver a pair of sneezes his gloved hands. He started to apologize, but a second double had set upon him before he could manage to get it out.

“Bless. You can’t stay here for another two hours. I’ll drive you home.”

“But you don’t…”

She sighed, “If you don’t want me to…”

“That isn’t it.” He quickly protested, pushing his glasses back up, belatedly realizing that they had managed to fall at some point while he was sneezing.

“Well…” she continued, “I’ll leave you but only if you tell me who is taking you home. I don’t want you calling up AAA again and waiting here for two hours. The weather is getting bad and even if the custodian doesn’t lock up before then, it still isn’t good for you.”

Then she pulled out her ace, “Besides.” She said, fixing him with a winning smile, “don’t you have a concert coming up? I’ve heard pneumonia and concerts… not a good mix.”

He rolled his eyes slightly. “All right.”

As she drove to his house, the weather grew worse. Snow was falling from the sky at a dizzying pace and the wind whipped it around in that almost hypnotic fashion. When she arrived at his house, one look at where the driveway should have been told her that it was going to be a challenge.

After managing to get in to the driveway, several attempts (including one where Greg got out and pushed), to get back out failed and they stood in the driveway looking sheepish.

Alicia flushed and toyed with her snow-covered hair. “I’m… I’m sorry. If it’s all right, may I come in- just for a minute?” She looked down at her hands and hurriedly continued, “I’d shovel the car out now, but…”

“No!” Greg hoarsely interrupted. Then shook his head as he realized what that might have implied.

“I’m mean… don’t shovel… come inside. And th… thank you.” He broke off with a small shudder and a harsh double directed into an elbow.

He turned and led her into the house.

Inside was just as she had imagined that it would be. Gorgeous hard wood floors, open space with big windows and simple tasteful décor. Books and music in piles of organized disarray scattered throughout the room.

He made an adorable picture, black hair dusted liberally with white flakes of snow, cheeks and nose flushed from the cold, glasses slipping down slightly and starting to fog.

He took off his scarf and jacket, then slipped off his glasses and wiped them off with a tissue tucked into a pocket. Then he carefully put them back on, dusted off his hair and looked over to her.

She finished getting out of her winter gear and commented on how wonderful the house looked.

“Thanks.” Greg looked slightly distracted and he moved over toward the kitchen. “Can… can I get you anything?”

She shook her head. “I’m… I’m fine.”

The awkwardness of the situation seemed to put a bit of a shadow on everything. There were so many things that she wanted to ask him, or comment on. However, he seemed tired, nervous, and not quite comfortable.

He grabbed a glass of water and came over to the couch where Alicia was primly sitting looking pleasantly around. Perched on the edge, like a bird ready to fly. He wasn’t quite sure what to do or say. He hadn’t anticipated her coming here. Not that he didn’t like it- it just was… well… different.

Thankfully she noticed one of the painting hanging on the wall that he was especially fond of. It was a picture from the early 1900s of an Irish ceilidh, or kitchen party. His eyes started to gleam and he explained where he found it, why it appealed and the background of both the artist and the painting.

As Greg was talking, Alicia leaned forward in interest. She was thankful that somehow she had managed to hit upon an interest. Now if only you had brought a notebook. She laughingly thought. The information- far from boring her- was so interesting that she longed for a way to remember it past a day or two- which with all the details- she knew she was certain to forget some.

After a few minutes of talking, a couple sets of sneezes interrupted the flow of his speech. The first pitched him slightly forward, and he caught them in a handful of tissues. His speech took on a hint of congestion, and lowered the tone slightly. The second set was more of a fit- six sneezes- in pairs that pitched his body forward. He shuddered slightly.

When Greg had come to an appropriate stopping point, Alicia looked up at him. “Thank you. I love learning about things like that. However, it is getting late and I probably should get to shoveling, and it sounds like you should head to bed.” She commented pointedly as Greg bit back a yawn- but was unsuccessful at hiding it completely.

He got up and went to get his coat. “Don’t even think about it.” She admonished.

“But..”

“Nope. I’ll be fine. Tell you what, I’ll give you a call when I get back. All right?”

He shook his head and sighed, “All right.”

He waved good-bye, took off his glasses and climbed into bed pulling the covers around his body. He absently flicked on the radio hoping to find a good soft jazz station to drift off to. What he ended up hearing instead was a weather advisory. A Noreaster was going to continue to sock it to them. Roads were closed, accidents were happening all over the place, and travel was discouraged except by emergency vehicles. Greg popped out of bed, grabbed his glasses and coat and ran outside, somehow feeling a bit lighter than he would have previously thought possible.

I know I've already flailed at you thousands of times for this, but well, once more won't hurt.

Seriously hon, I'm sooooooooo loving this. Hot sexy sneezy music teacher :drool:

Am busy pretending to be Alicia >:D

I swear, your writing is my crack.

• 3 weeks later...

He caught her just as she was getting into her car, and flagged her down, waving both arms wildly above his head. She paused, stood back up and yelled over the sound of the running motor, “What?”

“You can’t go!” he yelled back hoarsely, then coughed harshly into his fist.

“What?” she asked again, partly because between the noise of the car, his distance and the quality of his voice it had been hard to hear. She thought that she heard him say that she couldn’t go. That can’t be right.

As Alicia turned off the car Greg half-jogged over, “Roads are closed. Emergency vehicles only” he managed before a shiver and a quartet of sneezes took over. He half-stifled them in the elbow of his jacket. He sniffed and rubbed his arms. “Come on,” he said thickly.

Alicia was at a loss and closed the door of the car, mutely nodded, and followed him inside.

“I’m sorry to intrude like this” she offered as coats were hung back up.

He looked over at her, with an aghast expression “You caused this?”

She smiled, sniffed and shook her head. Evidently, the sense of humor is a little hidden but definitely dry.

He rolled his eyes as if to say, “That’s enough about that then.” Then he put a fist towards his mouth to stifle a yawn.

“You should get to bed. I’ve got some books in my bag and I’ll crash on the couch, if that’s all right.”

Greg looked downward and ran a hand through his hair, “I’d offer you my bed, but…”

Alicia blushed and shook her head furiously. “I wouldn’t even think of putting you out.”

“It’s not that. It’s just that you don’t want…” here his breathing hitched and he plucked out a couple of tissues from the nearby counter. “excuse me” he breathed as his voice rose. He shuddered in on himself, then bleary brown eyes looked up briefly, only to shut harshly as ebony head was forced down again and again. He sighed, pushing his glasses back up and apologizing. “I could clean up in there…” he offered.

Alicia chuckled and shook her head, “I’ll be fine. Get some sleep. Well…if you wouldn’t mind pulling out a blanket and pillow for me, then I’ll be fine.”

He nodded and grabbed a thick quilt of hunter and burgundy and a nice fluffy pillow. “Thanks.” she said sheepishly, and both flinched, though just the slightest bit less with the touch of hands at the exchange.

“Good night.” He said solemnly, walking toward the bedroom.

“Good night.”

Alicia woke up to a barrage of sneezes that sounded like they were traveling closer. In her half conscious state she wondered where she was, the bedding and pillow didn’t feel “right”. Then slowly memories came back of what had happened and where she was. She heard the sound of feet padding slowly on hard-wood floor, and a light came on in the kitchen. It didn’t bother her eyes, she was too far away for that, but she wondered.

After taking a few minutes to stretch and adjust her body to the idea of getting up and out from the comfort of the quilt, Alicia sat up and started toward the light, letting her eyes slowly adjust to the brightness.

Greg had just finished pouring the tea into his mug, and was on his way into the living room, when he almost ran into someone. He instinctively jumped; the mug flew out of his hand and came down in a mess of liquid and broken porcelain.

Once his brain had finished processing who it was, where he was, and what had happened, he quickly grabbed a towel to begin trying to sop up the mess.

“I’m… I’m sorry. Just couldn’t sleep, and I didn’t remember that anyone was here.” He concentrated on the floor as his cheeks flooded with color.

His voice was thick was congestion. Alicia guessed that the reason that he had gotten up was probably due to not being able to breathe. “It’s fine.” She said quietly, and found a broom and started sweep up pieces of mug.

“I… didn’t wake you did I?” Before she could answer, he held up a hand, “Of course I did. I’m really sorry. You don’t have to… I’ll just…” he trailed off as his eyes dimmed and he sneezed an especially miserable sounding triple into his hands. He flushed crimson as he kept his hands steepled over his nose and ran off to the bathroom. After washing up he came back.

Everything was cleaned up, and the kettle was on its way to boiling. “You… don’t…” he started.

She shrugged. “What if I’d like some tea?” she questioned gently, but with a slight grin.

Greg rolled his eyes nodded his head, reached for two mugs and offered her a choice of tea.

When both mugs were poured, they took them back into the living room to the couch.

“I just need to get…” he trailed off.

“To where you can breathe?”

He started to chuckle, which turned quickly into a harsh fit of coughing. Then he nodded, reached for a tissue and blew his nose.

“I understand that. I’m the same way. Here.” She pushed the pillow over to where he was. “Lie down, and we’ll prop you up. You can rest and breathe. Best of both worlds.”

He looked at the pillow hesitantly.

“The couch is long enough- I’m fine at the end.” Alicia commented neatly, anticipating Greg’s objection.

“How tired are you?” he asked.

She shook her head, “Not very.”

They sat sipping at the tea in silence for a while.

“I was wondering…” Alicia started, but then seemed to think better of it.

“What?”

“Nah… it’ll sound silly.”

“No it won’t. Nothing is too silly to ask.”

She chuckled. “You really are an elementary teacher aren’t you?” she replied with a grin, shaking her head. You have all the patented teacher lines down and everything.

Even with the dim lighting, she could see the spark come into Greg’s eyes.

“Come on.” He prodded with his best “teacher” voice.

She sighed, “Alright. I will preface this by stating that my class has been talking about traditions and families and all that.”

He nodded.

“What type of music did you grow up with?”

“The audacity of asking a music teacher about music” He grinned. “Let’s see… fiddle music- part of the whole Irish heritage” he nodded toward the painting that she had admired earlier. “and folk music. Lots of Dylan, and Guthrie, and Seeger. My parents were very involved in the civil rights era and that was a big part of them that they handed down.” He took another sip of his tea then questioned, “Now... was that so difficult?” with the slightest raise of an eyebrow.

She laughingly shook her head.

“How about you?” he questioned.

“Let’s see… church music, lots and lots of that. Mantovani and his orchestra, and show tunes. My mother had a huge book filled with songs from Rodgers and Hammerstein. She’d play piano and my father and I would sing. My father loved “Surrey with the Fringe on Top”, mom loved “Climb Every Mountain”, and one of my favorites was “You’ll Never Walk Alone”. Those were the main ones.”

He smiled and nodded, “I think that every parent should pass down in some way what is special to them, that’s what is special about traditions. They don’t have to be negative.”

Greg shivered. “Oh… here…” Alicia went to toss over the quilt but he shook his head and rose slowly.

“You don’t have to leave.” Then she realized how that might sound, “I mean… unless you are really tired.”

He shook his head again, “I’ll just grab a blanket from off the bed. If… that’s all right.”

She nodded.

Greg came back from the bedroom a few moments later carrying a navy and burgundy comforter. He got back on the sofa, grabbing a handful of Kleenexes on the way. He crawled under the covers, put the tissues on his lap. He gave a quick, thick sniff, then grabbed a tissue and held it up to his face. His nose twitched, eyelashes gave a quick flutter, then he sneezed a harsh, half-stifle. His breath caught twice, as he grabbed another couple of tissues. His head bobbed forward as he smothered a double, then sighed and started to excuse himself, only to have an unexpected sneeze catch him off-guard. It had a harsh, “vocal” quality to it, and pitched his head forward, pushing his glasses nearly off of his nose.

“Ugh…. Ummm… ‘cuse be.” He murmured thickly, blushing furiously as he pushed his glasses back up. “I’b sorry.” He got up, blew his nose and threw the tissues into the garbage. He was washing up as Alicia quietly came over.

“Bless. No reason to be sorry.” As she saw the protest forming, she shook her head, “Didn’t someone inquire about the storm being my fault? How about if I grant you that your being sick is as much your fault as the storm and getting snowed in here is mine?”

A slight eye roll and a quick rough chuckle was the response.

“Have you taken anything lately?” Alicia questioned.

“Not due for another half hour, and then it generally takes about a half-hour, forty five minutes to kick in. I’m…s…” he started, but stopped at her look.

Coming back to the sofa he asked, “So… how tired are you?”

She shrugged, despite feeling ready to drift off. She knew how miserable it was to feel all congested and not able to sleep. And honestly she didn’t mind staying up with him. After all, the likelihood that there’d be school in the morning was pretty slim.

“Card game?” he suggested.

She nodded, hoping that he wouldn’t pick one that required a lot of concentration.

“How about… Canasta?”

Now she was caught. Of course he’d manage to chose both her favorite card game and one of the card games that required the most amount of concentration. At least with his being sick she thought that she should be on somewhat equal footing. “Where would we play?” she questioned. There were too many cards that got “laid down” during various points of the game to consider being able to effectively play while sitting on the couch.

“Well… if you’d like to… I thought that the kitchen table would work.” He gestured to the oak table and chair set that looked out onto what in better weather probably would have shown itself to be a deck. Now there was only swirling white. Alicia rubbed her arms, thankful to be inside.

“All right, lead the way.”

Greg picked up the tissue box, and stopped by the hall closet. He stood still, staring out for a moment or two. Then he sighed and opened the door. Grabbing a double deck of cards, he started for the table.

“Here you are.” He offered, pulling out a chair for her, the word “are” quivering as he brought an elbow up towards his face, lashes fluttering over slightly watery eyes.

He exhaled with frustration.

“If you want, I can shuffle.” She offered.

He handed her the box of cards, and as their hands touched, despite trying to prepare himself, the “shock” that he felt threw him just enough to allow the stuck sneeze to dislodge itself, along with a two others. The first sneeze was directed as much into his left shoulder as he could manage, then threw up his elbow for the other two.

“Bless. You sure that you want to play?” she questioned.

He nodded, “You aren’t afraid to lose are you?” he quipped back, voice rough.

She gave a grin at that. “Let’s see what you’ve got.”

• 1 month later...

I know that it has been a bit. It isn't long- but here is an additional scene.

She shuffled the cards and dealt them. Thankfully, she got a fairly decent hand and was able to meld in a relatively short amount of time.

At one point it seemed like it was taking Greg quite a while to decide what he wanted to do, but then his long eyelashes began to flutter and his lips slowly parted and his head tilted back. A frustrated sigh.

He scrubbed at his nose and laid down a card. Alicia played hers in fact, she was starting to feel sorry for him, he still hadn’t laid down any cards and she was getting ready to wrap up. Besides which Greg looked awful; pale, tired, and his nose seemed to be driving him nuts. She thought that after the next round that she’d suggest that they give it up.

Then, a smug look mixed with a somewhat sneezy look on his face and he scrubbed fiercely at his nose and laid down all his cards. A concealed hand?!! What a brat! And to think that she had felt sorry for him.

His breathing was coming in short little pants, his brown eyes were beginning to tear, and he looked so uncomfortable that she took pity on him. “Stuck?” she questioned.

He nodded and sighed.

“Look at the light.” She directed

He gave her a puzzled look.

“I’ve done it before, it sends some impulse to the brain that does… something.”

He chuckled weakly. “Very sci…en tific… Evi…. Huh… evidence?”

She shrugged and grinned back, “hey it works.”

He shrugged and turned his glaze toward the light above the table, his head tilted back again and after three tremulous inhales, his head pitched forward as he into his elbow. He nearly banged his head against the table. They kept coming, wet, harsh, and throaty. Alicia wasn’t quite sure what to do so she grabbed some tissues and pressed them into his free hand, which was trembling slightly. He nodded and took a breath before one final sneeze tossed him forward at the waist.

“Thanks.. I’m sorry.” He said congestedly. His face was red, eyes watery, tissues held up to his nose to try to clean up and blow his slightly chapped nose. As much as Alicia wanted to get her own back for that sneaky move, she figured that it could wait until tomorrow.

She yawned but half-bit it back. She figured that was the best way to get him to give in. Then she handed him the cards. He eyed her over.

“You look tired.”

She shook her head.

He put the cards down. “Come on. Let’s crash on the couch. That fireplace is actually wired to do those “fake” fires. I can put that on.”

Alicia nodded. That sounded wonderful. The medicine must have kicked in, he was loosening up and the glassy look to his eyes appeared to be more from being tired than sneezy. She followed him back over to the sofa and curled up with the quilt to watch the blazing “fire” in the fireplace all nice and snug.

This is EXACTLY what I meant when I replied to a post about spelling out sneezes in a story. I most emphatically do not like spelled-out sneezes because the kind of sneeze I find attractive is usually very different from what the average sneezefic writer writes. But with your story, I'm free to imagine exactly the kind of "harsh, wet" sneeze I enjoy without having it spelled out for me. THANK YOU!

I love this story so very much - it's fantastically yummy and absolutely makes me melt. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad that people are enjoying this so far. I'm finally seeing an ending... have to get it there though... lol! I will confess that working on this in spring is a bit odd. hehehe.

When she woke up the next morning she smelled… coffee… and… was that… it couldn’t be… but it was… pancakes. Alicia’s stomach rumbled quietly at the delicious odor that wafted from the kitchen.

Greg had changed into blue jeans and a dark gray fleece, and was standing at the stove. She looked up, met his eyes and smiled. He gave her a little grin and waved the fingers of one hand, while using the other to handle the spatula.

Suddenly a thought occurred to her. “What about…”

“Snow day.”

“You didn’t…”

“I wanted to.” His breath caught without warning and he whirled away from the stove, barely managing to throw up an arm to shield the three harsh sneezes that suddenly overtook him.

He sniffed and rubbed at his nose with the back of his free hand. “Sorry.”

“Bless. I can do that.” Alicia offered, hopping up off of the couch.

Greg smiled but shook his head, “Really. I’m fine.”

She quirked an eyebrow at that statement, particularly as it was said in an obviously congested voice, but she said nothing.

“I am.” He quickly protested, then tried, “Come on, at least let me pretend to do a half-way decent job at being a host.”

She chuckled, “All right. Am I allowed to get coffee mugs, or is the kitchen off-limits?”

He rolled his eyes. “I suppose I can allow that.” And he waved a hand toward where they were located.

She got out two mugs and carefully began pouring the coffee.

He started putting the pancakes onto plates when he looked over and saw her. “I didn’t say that you could p…pour i…” He broke off and directed a pair of sneezes as far into his shoulder as he could manage. He sniffled thickly and tried to rub at his nose and not drop anything. His ears were crimson and he mumbled a quick “’cuse me”

Alicia tried not to grin at Greg’s predicament. She felt sorry that he was still under the weather, because snow day or no, it still was no fun. However, she had to admit that she was really enjoying getting to know him better, and she was certain that under “normal” circumstances that he wouldn’t have opened himself up this much. It wasn’t that he wasn’t friendly. Nor was it that he was what a typical person would define as “shy”. He was just… hmmm… more of a musician personality than what one would think of as standard for an elementary teacher in general. More reserved and introspective. His sense of humor was more difficult to detect, but she could tell in brief flashes (like earlier) that it was there and it did tickle her sense of the ironic that he had been cut short in trying to “put her in her place” even teasingly.

She got brave a put a timid hand on his back, giving it a slight rub as she did so, and then moved to grab a plate so that he could make a grab for the box of tissues. She walked toward the table.

He did so, holding them up against his nose until they were sitting down at the table. Then he turned away and gently blew his nose. Greg stood up, threw the tissues out, and scrubbed up. “You take milk, sugar, creamer?”

“Just a splash of milk, thanks.”

He nodded adding some milk into her mug and drizzling a bit of sugar into his. He carried them over to the table and gently placed his down and handed Alicia hers.

He was inwardly pleased that he didn’t flinch in the least as their hands met over her mug. His body still felt warm all over, but he wasn’t running from it.

“Thanks” she smiled and brushed her hair back from her face.

He just nodded and started in on his breakfast. He mused that really for getting snowed in and not feeling well, he had managed to come out pretty well. He would never have imagined that being in this type of situation with Alicia would be anything other than completely mortifying, and would have imagined holing himself up in his room and not coming out until she was able to get home. In reality, he would rather have been looking and feeling better, but it really hadn’t been horrible getting to spend more time with her.

“Incredible!”

Greg started at the exclamation.

Alicia shook her head and looked down at her plate, a bit embarrassed at her outburst. “The pancakes- I swear that the last batch that I had that was this good was ages ago. I take it that it’s a top secret recipe?”

He chuckled and kept studying his plate, “It’s pretty basic, just a little improvisation.”

“The best things generally are like that.”

They continued their breakfast in amiable silence.

• 8 years later...

Archived