Sneeze Fetish Forum

Returning the Favour - Pride and Prejudice (Darcy)

AdrianMarx

This one is set not long before the book begins and also not long after Georgiana's almost-elopement with Wickham. I like to think Mr Darcy is pretty much a fantastic big brother who loves his little sister very much.

---

Georgiana Darcy loved her brother very much just as he did her. He doted on her and catered to her every whim of which there were very few. For a girl to whom the world was so wholly accessible, she asked for very little and received thrice her wishes with immense gratitude. Her brother simply wished for her happiness and knew himself that there was nothing he would not do to preserve and cherish it.

It was seldom she got the chance to return the favour so, when such opportunities did arise, she did not hesitate to seize them. There was, however, one situation which would always present her with occasion to dote upon her brother just as he did her. When he was confined to his bed by illness, there was but one person whom he would permit to see him and that person was his dear Georgiana.

"You are running a fever," she whispered while she squeezed the excess water from the cloth thoroughly before she gently brushed it across his forehead. She did not speak any louder for fear of upsetting the ache in his head. "May I not call a doctor?"

Mr Darcy gazed up at her blearily and, when he spoke, his voice was rough and quiet. "I must ask that you do not. I would not wish anyone else to see me in my present condition."

Georgiana placed the cloth down on the saucer where the bowl of water rested and ran her cool fingertips through her brother's hair. It was something she found had always calmed him when he had been distressed over the loss of their father and therefore she had resorted to it at every possible opportunity. It was rare to find something which ascertained such a certain response from her brother so naturally she was reluctant to cease her attempts to provide him with what little comfort he would allow himself to receive.

Her actions had the desired effect and it was not long before his eyes had closed and his body relaxed into sleep.

~

Hours passed before he awoke again to find his bad head had only worsened and the building tickle in his nose was threatening to burst from him at any moment. He moved as quickly as his headache would allow to snatch a clean handkerchief from the table and curl it around his nose and mouth.

"huh'HRDSHHHhuh! hh...huh'HRUSHHHhh! huh'hHRUSHHHH! hh'HRUSHHH!"

It was a matter of moments before Georgiana was by his side again, insisting upon fetching a doctor for his temperature was further elevated. Darcy caught her hand as she made to go and had asked her in a pitifully slight voice not to leave him. Had it not been most unlike him, she would not have been so shocked.

"I will stay if you wish it," she said immediately and called for the housekeeper to fetch the doctor at once. She took up her cloth again having refreshed the water and dabbed at his forehead worriedly. Having done all she could think of to bring his fever down, she set the cloth aside and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "I can only hope you will not worsen."

The corners of Darcy's mouth twitched upwards at his sister's obvious display of love but the tranquillity could not last for he had to turn away to sneeze again into his handkerchief.

"hh'HURISHHhh! huh'RHUSHHHuh!"

"Oh, God bless you," Georgiana frowned while her brother blew his nose wearily.

She could not stand to see him suffer so. After all the kindness and love he had bestowed upon her, it was hardly fair that he should be the one to fall so dreadfully ill. In an attempt to convey these feelings, she held his hand dutifully until Mrs Reynolds announced the arrival of the doctor.

"Well, now, Darcy," said the doctor while Mr Darcy, with the help of his sister, struggled to sit up. "It has been a long time since I saw you last. Either you have been in excellent health since your father passed or you have refused to my being summoned, though I favour the former."

Darcy coughed quietly. "I wish I could delight you with confirmation of such a suggestion."

While the doctor was at work, Georgiana fretted by her brother's bedside, adjusting and readjusting the sheets around him to calm her rattled nerves. Every time he turned to sneeze, he offered her a small smile to reassure her though it did little. She fretted all the same until the doctor's work was done and he assured her vehemently that her worries were unfounded before bidding them farewell and promising to speak to Mrs Reynolds before leaving about what was to be done.

Unable to help herself, Georgiana kissed his dark curls delightedly and gently squeezed his hand. He chuckled softly at the sight of her smile.

"It would do you good to worry less about me," he said firmly.

"And it would do you good," replied she in relief. "To allow me to nurse you back to a proper state of health."

He only smiled as did she and they sat in companionable silence for longer than either of them knew.

~

"huh'HRSHHhuh!"

Darcy's health did not seem to be improving. If anything, it was worsening. Where he could before speak, now he could scarcely comprehend Georgiana's words in order to formulate a response. The only sounds which escaped him were his sneezes which began to sound strained and rough.

"huh'HURSHHhh! hh'HURISHHmff! hh...huh'HRRSHHHhhuH!"

His skin burned with a fever Georgiana struggled to tame and she could not help but worry that this would be the death of him and, consequently, her. She had come to rely on her brother these past weeks after the business of Ramsgate and had long since looked up to him almost as a father. He was all that could banish her melancholy mood in favour of laughter and gentle teasing.

"God bless you," she murmured, a little too late.

Darcy's hand shakily took hold of her own, a gesture which forced her to excuse herself in tears. She was afraid and all too aware that this may be the last time her brother ever touched her so tenderly. It may, in fact, be the last time he touched her at all and she could not bear that. So, she wept for she could not stand to lose her father twice.

When finally she returned to his side, she found him fast asleep once more and sat by him quietly until he began to thrash in his sleep. She untangled his limbs from the bed clothes before finally pulling the quilt away from him entirely and moving to stroke his hair from his forehead while soothing words flowed from her uninterrupted.

The fever did not break until well into the early hours of the morning and Georgiana was exhausted, as was Mrs Reynolds whose services she had employed in desperation not half an hour previous. After sending the weary woman to bed, she tucked the blanket around her brother's body. It did not take long for her head to fall onto her arms while she slipped into sleep, relieved.

(When he woke to find her there, he wasted no time in gathering her up in his arms and carrying her straight to her bedchamber. She did not stir.)

Ugh, you're killing me with the Darcy feels, here, bro. And then sibling caretaking on top of it? My very favorite thing in the world. I am mush.

Guhhh. I want to take this gorgeous diction and roll around in it. It's SO well-written! You seriously have a talent for capturing/mimicking an older style. It also helps that I adore period writing in general, so there's that. heh.gif

There's something equally lovely and terrifying about someone being so ill in this time era. You wrote it yourself:

She was afraid and all too aware that this may be the last time her brother ever touched her so tenderly. It may, in fact, be the last time he touched her at all and she could not bear that.

People died so easily back then, and from what began as minor illnesses too. cry.gif I have so many P&P feels now! I'll need to re-watch it for sure~

Wow....... I am absolutely blown away by the detail/writing/adherence to the original text (even though its been ages since I've read).

Also everything Spoo said as well. I may need to have a re-watch very soon! :)

EEE! Pride and Prejudice! :D:bounce:

I love the way you keep with the style of the books, absolutely lovely! :D

OMG..... P&P

I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! i LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Did I mention the shrine that I'm now building? :bag:

SO absolutely sweet and so in character. My Darcy love is flowing out and making me a puddle of goo.

Darcy coughed quietly. "I wish I could delight you with confirmation of such a suggestion."

My favorite line. I love how it just rolls off the tongue. You have a very eloquent style.

And then this:

So, she wept for she could not stand to lose her father twice.

You just killed me.

Beautiful.

Holy god. You are really, really good. Can I just rattle off a bunch of quotes because I don't even know what to say these are so well written

curl it around his nose and mouth.

This is such a lovely way to phrase throwing a handkerchief over one's face.

After all the kindness and love he had bestowed upon her, it was hardly fair that he should be the one to fall so dreadfully ill. In an attempt to convey these feelings, she held his hand dutifully until Mrs Reynolds announced the arrival of the doctor.

Awww :< She's so sweet and this sibling love is making me melt

"I wish I could delight you with confirmation of such a suggestion."

THIS THIS RIGHT HERE LET ME JUST JUMP OFF A BUILDING, SWIM IN THE NEAREST BODY OF WATER TO SCOTLAND WHERE I MAY FIND YOU AND PUMP YOUR HAND ENTHUSIASTICALLY WHILE SPOUTING GIBBERISH BECAUSE THIS LINE RIGHT HERE KILLED ME WITH THE AMOUNT OF JANE AUSTEN YOU'VE GOT GOING ON

IS IT BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN I SWEAR ALL OF US AMERICANS HAVE NO ELOQUENCE

Right in the feels.

I- I just- please keep writing in this style. Actually don't, I might actually melt into a puddle. No wait- do it anyway. Some people are worth melting for.

YAY!!! (Claps loudly and bounces off surrounding objects!) This was without a doubt the best sibling-comfort fic I have ever read! Magnificent!

Ugh, you're killing me with the Darcy feels, here, bro. And then sibling caretaking on top of it? My very favorite thing in the world. I am mush.

Oh man, I love sibling care taking. It makes me all squishy inside.

Guhhh. I want to take this gorgeous diction and roll around in it. It's SO well-written! You seriously have a talent for capturing/mimicking an older style. It also helps that I adore period writing in general, so there's that. heh.gif

There's something equally lovely and terrifying about someone being so ill in this time era. You wrote it yourself:

She was afraid and all too aware that this may be the last time her brother ever touched her so tenderly. It may, in fact, be the last time he touched her at all and she could not bear that.

People died so easily back then, and from what began as minor illnesses too. cry.gif I have so many P&P feels now! I'll need to re-watch it for sure~

That's what I always like about period stories involving illness. It makes me all emotional because people lost their family to fevers all the time and I just asdjhdf awh.

Wow....... I am absolutely blown away by the detail/writing/adherence to the original text (even though its been ages since I've read).

Also everything Spoo said as well. I may need to have a re-watch very soon! smile.png

Awh, thank you. I tried to make it accurate.

EEE! Pride and Prejudice! biggrin.pngbounce.gif

I love the way you keep with the style of the books, absolutely lovely! biggrin.png

Thank you omg! :D

OMG..... P&P

I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! i LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

Did I mention the shrine that I'm now building? bag.gif

SO absolutely sweet and so in character. My Darcy love is flowing out and making me a puddle of goo.

:hug: Gosh I'm really glad you like it omg thank you just ahhhh <3

My favorite line. I love how it just rolls off the tongue. You have a very eloquent style.

And then this:

You just killed me.

Beautiful.

Thank you :wub:

"I wish I could delight you with confirmation of such a suggestion."

THIS THIS RIGHT HERE LET ME JUST JUMP OFF A BUILDING, SWIM IN THE NEAREST BODY OF WATER TO SCOTLAND WHERE I MAY FIND YOU AND PUMP YOUR HAND ENTHUSIASTICALLY WHILE SPOUTING GIBBERISH BECAUSE THIS LINE RIGHT HERE KILLED ME WITH THE AMOUNT OF JANE AUSTEN YOU'VE GOT GOING ON

IS IT BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN I SWEAR ALL OF US AMERICANS HAVE NO ELOQUENCE

I- I just- please keep writing in this style. Actually don't, I might actually melt into a puddle. No wait- do it anyway. Some people are worth melting for.

OH MY GOODNESS YES PLEASE COME TO SCOTLAND RIGHT NOW SO I CAN HUG YOU VERY TIGHTLY OH MY GOODNESS I'M SMILING SO MUCH HELP THANK YOU

Oh gosh I swear the entire cinema squealed at that line ahh.

YAY!!! (Claps loudly and bounces off surrounding objects!) This was without a doubt the best sibling-comfort fic I have ever read! Magnificent!

Thank you so much!! :wub:

• 1 month later...

Late to the party but HOLY smokes this is just the thing. Beautiful. I, too, have all the feels about how serious a fever was back then (fevers are my favourite.) This is killing me. Thanks so much for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party but HOLY smokes this is just the thing. Beautiful. I, too, have all the feels about how serious a fever was back then (fevers are my favourite.) This is killing me. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thank you!! Fevers are right up there on my list of favourite things ^-^

This was just as lovely as your other P&P fic and I love that you focused on the relationship between Georgiana and Darcy.

Awh, thank you. I love sibling relationships a lot whoops.

Archived