Sneeze Fetish Forum

In Time (Shouwa Genroku Rakugo) Kiku - Trade fict for LeapYearKisses

Kaze Wo Hiku

Ok hey so @LeapYearKisses asked for a Rakugo fict and though I'm not the best fanfict writer, I HAD to do this because I was obsessed with this gem of an anime last season and cuz Kiku is DAMN FINE, Ishida Akira nailed his performance too.  I kinda wrote this from the perspective of knowing the show but I also attempted to explain a few things so readers not familiar with it might still enjoy it No idea if I succeeded :lol: If you haven't and you like historical slice of life with hot guys WATCH IT!

Here are the two guys.  Shin is on the left, Kiku (or Bon as Shin calls him) is on the right.

rakugo%20(30)-noscale.jpg

I used a few Japanese terms in it.

Rakugo - the art of storytelling/spoken word theater

Shishou - master/teacher

Haori - traditional kimono jacket

Yukata - casual garment worn by men

For reference this is set when Kiku is still struggling to find his own Rakugo.  Some BL if you squint :D Also LYK, I know you like mess, I tried to incorporate a bit though I'm not fully comfortable writing it, so don't hate me :lol: 

Sooooo anyways, enjoy!

~~~~

The cool winter air caressed his tepid face as Kikuhiko knelt, eyes closed, reciting the piece he was scheduled to perform tomorrow night. He was opening for his Shishou so the presentation must be flawless.

He’d originally planned on performing a Rakugo he'd done several times and received warm reception over. However as Kiku thought about it, leading in for the 7th Yurakutei Yakumo, a story he perceived as sub-par wouldn’t suffice. So he pushed himself to study a harder piece; something worthy of the master himself; settling on a story which involved several characters.  However he struggled perfecting each voice and mannerism.

After several days and a few sleepless nights his rendition was nowhere near perfect. No, the innkeeper’s voice must sound gruffer, as a hardworking man who toiled tirelessly maintaining his business. His wife sweeter, a warm welcoming breath of fresh air to patrons and the traveler weary, exhausted from the day's journey. The timing of the rapping with his fan signaling the traveler's arrival must be perfect. The audience must believe every motion from a casual glance to heated argument. Every subtle look, every unique sound, every faint breath drawn from the air engulfing the body lent itself to the story.  

Sadly Kiku felt off, sounding flat and boring, if performed this way he'd bring shame to his Shishou and craft.  A slow breath in he began again.

“..Ah good Sir, weary from your travels no doubt?  Please Pl--” His voice cracked, eyes shot open the breath he’d been taking lodged in his throat.   

Breaking his practice Kiku gripped the ends of his haori tightly enough his knuckles turned faintly white.  Not good enough, his Rakugo never good enough. Sighing he wiped a bead of sweat running from his face. Leaning back his gaze went to the ceiling. Shin never had this problem. Naturally charismatic his friends Rakugo was exciting, the style which immersed the audience the moment he opened his mouth.  Shin, who never practiced, never listened to their Shishou, captured his audience immediately from his first word.  Layering a rich spellbound tale filled with interest and intrigue while relaxed, Shin always calm his carefree style Kiku never could attempt. Secretly jealous Shin perfected his Rakugo before himself pricked at Kiku knowing his friend would inherit the Yakumo name. However it also kept the fire lit in Kiku’s heart that one day he’d discover his Rakugo.

Releasing the grip on his haori Kiku slumped back against the wooden wall of the room small room. Lighting a cigarette from the fire he inhaled deeply blowing it upward. Practice would have to wait his mind clouded from worrying.

Suddenly the door slid open. Shin lumbered in wearing the same dirty yukata the faint smell of booze followed him in like a dog after its master.

“Not practicing? That's not like you Bon.” He flashed that charismatic smile which charmed so many of the girls. “I heard you're opening for the old man?”

Kiku exhaled smoke, “What if I am?” He said coolly unable to look Shin in the eyes. A twinge of soreness pricked his throat; he'd noticed it earlier but shrugged it off to nerves.

The brunette lay down lighting his own crumpled cigarette, “Then I assumed I'd find you here rehearsing, it's not like you do anything else.”

Kiku launched his kneeling pillow at his friend who ducked at the last minute. “Just because you refuse to practice doesn't mean some of us don't want to improve our Rakugo.”

“Drinking is more fun.” Smiling Shin sat the pillow behind his head leaning back. Neither spoke, cigarette smoke circled the room rising up to the electric light.  

Kiku winced as he swallowed, the rawness in his throat growing, along with an overwhelming sense of anguish. His voice was his art, he couldn’t lose it.

“Bah, this is boring.” Shin replied sitting up scratching his hair. Kiku’s eyes watched him stand crossing the small room to the door, sliding it open then shut.

Crushing out his cigarette Kiku’s mind drifted as exhaustion gripped.  Only one more day to prepare, sadly sleep would have to wait.

The cold winter morning air drifted in through the walls of the drafty apartment gently stroking Kiku’s body which lay balled up shivering beneath his futon cover, his eyes burning from sleep deprivation.  Practicing well into the night his last memory blurred, he did not remember going to bed.  Pulling the blanket to his chin he exhaled a rough cough escaping.  Struggling to swallow a burning sensation rose up the back of his throat.  Massaging his neck gingerly Kiku’s worst nightmare set in.  Pushing himself up, chilled by the dry air, he huddled in the covers.  Sweat beads pooled near his brow soaking the ends of his deep black hair, a few caressed his pale skin running the length of his face dripping softly undisturbed onto the blanket.  

Kiku opened his mouth but the crippling fear of silence overwhelmed him.  What was he without his voice?  Bringing a hand up to rub his nose, he heard footsteps down the hall, barely lifting his weary head just as Shin slide the door open.

“Here.” Shin said handling Kiku a bowl which he accepted with both hands.  “Drink that.”  He sat opposite not removing his concentrated gaze from the dark haired storyteller.

Nodding Kiku willed his hands to cease trembling bringing the bowl to his mouth the warm sensation of herbs soothing the painful rawness wrapping him a calm sense of tranquility, Shin was here.

“You’re reckless, you know that?” His friend smirked as Kiku rested the bowl on the ground. “Found you passed out in the other room middle of the night.  Debated on leaving you since maybe it’d finally dawn on you to relax a bit but decided against it.”  He lit a cigarette.

Kiku retreated to the confines of his blanket.  Although the pain lurking in his throat lessened a faint incessant tickle began pricking at his sinuses.  He turned from Shin rubbing his nose against the blanket.

“You can’t perform tonight.” Shin leaned back but kept his eyes on his friend. “The old man wouldn’t have it, you being his pet and all.”  He smiled wryly at Kiku who hunched over.  

He appreciated Shin’s offering of soup but now Kiku’s insecurity crept in, a vulnerable tightness gripped him, Shin always so laid back, easy going, Kiku suddenly trouble by his friend seeing him in this state.  

Clearing his throat, Kiku straightened shedding the blanket, praying to any god who would listen when he spoke words formed.  “None of your concern.” A strained but confident reply given, Kiku braced the wall pushing himself up however his balance faltered.

“Whoa there.” Shin scrambled up grabbing Kiku’s shoulders easing him back down.  Kiku dug his nails firmly into his palms gritting his teeth.  He couldn’t disappoint his Shishou, not after all the years he’d studied, the lessons, the endless practicing, the promise he’d one day find his own Rakugo.  No he’d perform, he might not inherit the Yakumo name but he owed it to his craft to perform.

“Again, none of your concern,” His voice quieter worried he’d strain it more.  Wiping his brow against his yukata sleeve, Kiku slumped against the wood paneled wall tired eyes fighting to stay open.  The congestion he felt earlier grew; he turned away from Shin, sniffing hard.

“Bon,” Shin started but cut himself off seeing those grey eyes glare back at him.

“You’ve made your point, no need to...” Kiku’s eyes widened his breath hitched, barely able to get his sleeve up, he stifled hoping Shin wouldn’t notice. Hkssh! Hkssh! Kiku held his position burning a deep crimson.

“Bless you.” Shin replied a slight hint of satisfaction in his retort.  Kiku trembled hiding his fevered face beneath his yukata. The heat of humiliations upon his friend seeing him like this harkened back to the day they met and consumed with all the emotions of leaving his family, wounded and alone, he’d wept openly in front of Shin. Even being a child at the time Kiku swore he’d never let Shin see that side of him again, now exhausted, tears mixed with sweat as he buried his head into his knees.  Sniffing his breakdown did not help the growing congested pain he felt in his head.  Brushing his hand against his face wiping away tears his nose crinkled. He blinked rapidly rubbing his nose against his sleeve trying like mad to quell the itch festering in his nasal passage.  A sharp inhale only held for a moment.  He'tsschk! Head titled back more tears escaped his red rimmed eyes. Ek'tchuh! Sadly he’d no handkerchief on him so he’s sleeve would have to suffice again.

A firm arm gently pulled him close.  Kiku flinched at the comfort felt; the drive to harbor his embarrassment sorely outweighed the latter.  Jerking away he managed two steps before faltering, vision blurry he felt his body fall.  Lacking the strength to stop himself he only closed his eyes praying the landing wouldn’t bruise his face.  

Suddenly his head whipped back he froze mere inches from the floor. “You’re a pain.” Shin said pulling him back.  “Stop it, I’ll let go if you just sit.”  Shin released his grasp; Kiku scurried to his blanket huddling inside.  Shivering from fever and the comfort, he squeezed his eyes shut wishing the throbbing congested pain looming in his head would vanish.  

“Bon.” The fellow storyteller’s voice a husky whisper. “He’ll understand.”

Raising his heavy head slowly Kiku met the soft brown eyes of Shin, always a sparkle to them even on the worst days.  He swallowed wincing as the herbs finally wore off. “I can’t.” He barely recognized his own voice. “I’m opening.” A slight crack echoed in the small room, Kiku flushed averting his eyes.

“So someone else will.” Shin replied nonchalantly pulling out another cigarette. “You attempt any Rakugo in your state, the old man will be livid.” He took a drag exhaling the smoke above him.

“You do it.” Kiku forced his voice to cooperate; sniffling wetly he pinched the bridge of his nose.  

Shin scoffed, “The old man doesn’t want me, besides someone has to look after you.” He pulled on the cigarette again.

Kiku hated admitting his friend was right.  The headache alone would hinder his timing and movement.  Rakugo must be flawless to be well received, something he would not accomplish tonight.  Another setback, another opportunity wasted, now farther away from finding his own style. Would he ever find it?  That pain seethed hotter than the fever kissing his forehead.  Mouth suddenly dry he coughed the sharp inhale tickling the back of his throat coercing a harder one into the blanket.  A weak attempt at concealing it forced him to breathe through his clogged nose, which he immediately regretted, the stinging prickle exploded. H'nnxsh! He'tixxsh! No longer bothering to hide Kiku covered his mouth and nose in his hands, blanket falling to his feet. Hkkssshew! Ekk'tsschuh! His expression slacked eyes close damning himself for exposing this to Shin; Kiku muffled another into his sleeve.  H'nkk!

Wiping moisture from his eyes and nose, Kiku’s grey weary eyes fell on Shin who merely smiled.  A gently silence fell between the two men, Kiku nearly nodded off before hearing Shin’s movement.

“Bon.” From the sound of his voice he was close; Kiku felt his warm breath, only slightly mixed with alcohol on his cheek. “It’ll come.”

Too exhausted to reply a low acknowledging hum escaped his lips.  He felt Shin’s arm underneath him slowly resting him back on the futon.  A cool hand swiped at his wet hair.  “It’ll come in time.”

~~~~

So uh... comments? :sweatdrop:

I went to go watch a few episodes of this show before I read this so I could get an idea of their relationship and I think you did a GREAT job, I loved this so much! Very in-character and great descriptions! I love these two guys XD

Oh My GOD! This was outstanding! You really captured Kiku's mentality perfectly, and I loved his interactions with Shin. Rakugo was definitely AOTS for me, and the second season should be great. (And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a thing for young Kiku.) I have yet to find a character voiced by Ishida Akira who has sneezed, and I REALLY hope I do. Thank you so much for writing this. Highlight of my day! :)

Oooohhhhhhhhhh my gooooooodddddddd, KAZE.  I COULD NEVER HATE YOU.  This is beautiful! :'D  I LOVE IT.  Thank you so, so much!  You know, I graduated from grad school today, and I've been busy, but getting to read this now is the perfect gift!  I really love your descriptions of Kiku's mindset and his relationship with Shin and his shishou and rakugo itself. You really captured the melancholy but also his passion to get it right.  I love that you chose to set this when you did, too, with him practicing so much, since I was desperately hoping he'd fall ill while running himself ragged like that. ^^;;  Shin was perfect too, all brash but also caring and gentle at the end there (love the little hint of BL!).  And thank you for writing mess when you don't usually do!  I really appreciate it and everything was just lovely!  Thank you so, so much!

@bellowsThank you! I really adored their relationship.

@Tippy Thank you! Yes I love Kiku, Ishida being his seiyuu was just icing on the cake!  Definitely was my AOTS last season and I can't for season 2.

@LeapYearKisses EEEE!! I'm SO glad you liked it!! :D God I was so nervous after I posted it.  I'm thrilled that you liked the time I chose, that whole winter part was my fave (and yes I was DYING for Kiku to get sick....ah crushed dreams :lol: )  Shin was actually easy to write then I'd imagined I was worried I wouldn't capture him (or even Kiku).  I had epi 10 where Kiku performs Shinigami for mild inspiration since where he's sweating during the performance was so fraking hot!!  Congratz on graduating and again I'm so happy you liked it!

Yes yes yes yes yesss!!! This was my fave show last season and young Kiku is extremely fine. I've been wishing there was a fic of him and you answered my dreams!

Archived