Sneeze Fetish Forum

Efflorescing Emotion

brief_candle

In honor of the brand new, anticipated Harry Potter book, I come bearing a ficlet. It isn’t long, and it isn’t much, but I really wanted to write something. And so this fic came to be. It takes place during the Marauder Era and is mainly about Remus and Sirius. There are hints toward a slashy relationship between the two, but nothing is directly stated. There’s a bit of angst as well, but nothing terribly depressing (I don’t think). And sneezing. Of course, there is sneezing.

I apologize if this fic seems rushed. In about five minutes, I’m going out, and I really wanted to have it finished and posted by the time the book is released [here]. (Also, please don't fear my inability to come up with a good title. :yes:)

Anyway, here it is. And once you all get your hands on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Happy Reading!

Efflorescing Emotion

When drops of rain began to patter on the pages of his Transfiguration text book, Remus figured it was time to accept the warmth that Hogwarts was promising. He looked up as the raindrops began to race with each other and hurled themselves from the clouds at a fast pace. Remus closed his book and tucked it under his robes. He placed his hand over the bark of the tree he was propped up against, as though he would stand, but made no more motion to move. Before long, his clothes were soaked through, and his hair was plastered to his head in a sloppy fashion.

The teasing of a chill was in the air. It was just strong enough to cause Remus discomfort and make him pull his drenched robes tightly around him. He had no will to move, though, so he remained still on the cold ground. The sounds of the rain and the wind offered him comfort by dominating his thoughts and crowding out all recollection of previous events.

Remus ignored duration of time, so when he heard Sirius Black’s footsteps --- they were so easy to recognize, because while Sirius treaded in an arrogant manner, there was always a hint of hesitation in his step, as though he really didn’t want to be acting as he did --- he didn’t know how long he had spent in the rain. He did know that it was getting windier; the branches of the tree he was under shook with violent force, as though angry at the sky for allowing it to become wet.

In front of Remus, Sirius crouched and ran a hand through his wet hair, the way that Sirius always did after a shower or a swim. He then allowed his hands to dangle off of his knees. “Remus?” he called softly, cocking his head.

Remus didn’t look at him. His only response was a distant “Hm?”, which was indicative of his being lost in thought.

“It’s raining...” He said it as though he believed Remus truly didn’t realize that it was indeed raining, that his robes were soaked, and that it was cold outside.

“I know.” Remus shifted and finally looked at Sirius. Concern was etched with sharp detail into Sirius’ face and his brows were strained with the effort of thought.

“We should go inside.”

Remus took his hand off the bark of the tree. It ached from being held in the same position for a long period of time. He quickly brushed it off against his robes, then brought it up to his face. Turning his head so that Sirius would escape the sight, he sneezed: “Het-tshh! Eshhu!”

Sirius stood and held out his hand. “Come on. You need to get inside.”

Remus stared at the hand for a moment before accepting.

“You know I didn’t mean what I said,” Sirius said once Remus was walking back toward Hogwarts with him. He didn’t ask; he spoke as though what he said was fact.

Remus rubbed his nose and sniffed. His robes were heavy and the book, protected so snugly beneath them, dug into his stomach every time he took a step. He nodded, even though he didn’t believe Sirius. He couldn’t. But he couldn’t say that out loud. He didn’t want to jeopardize what took him four years to establish.

“Good,” Sirius replied. But his tone suggested that he was too bright to believe Remus’ short nod. “Because ---”

He cut off his words as Remus stopped walking, held up a hand to his face, and took two gasping breaths. “Heh...heh...Eshoo! Heh-eshoo!”

Sirius didn’t acknowledge the sneezing. He merely resumed his sentence as Remus resumed his pace. “Because I really don’t think that you’re a poof.”

Remus felt his chest tighten at the mention of the word.

Hours before, Snape had used it to taunt Remus. Half-breed, poof, weakling...Those terms were constantly used by Snape and therefore usually held no weight. Remus understood that Snape was making up for some wounds of his own by trying to torture others and for that reason, Remus was able to forgive him.

It was different when Sirius used one of those words and agreed with Snape. Everyone in Hogwarts, including the faculty, knew that Sirius would rather suffer terrible things than be caught in agreement with Snape. That’s why, when Sirius laughed at Remus and scoffed, “Well I can see why Snape would think you’re a poof. You’re always acting like a girl”, Remus was deeply hurt. He couldn’t understand the spite that weaved its way through Sirius’ tone.

“If anything,” Sirius was continuing as the two boys found themselves in the entrance hall of Hogwarts, “Peter’s the poof. You see the way he looks at James.” Sirius’ laugh was tight, forced. Remus didn’t find his comment amusing, but he gave a small smiled for Sirius’ sake.

Hogwarts was warm, but not warm enough. Remus found himself suppressing shivers, induced by his wet robes. He could have performed a charm to dry his clothes, he supposed, but the effort seemed a bit too much.

Sirius was fidgeting. He obviously wanted to speed up, but Remus’ slow, meticulous pace held him behind.

The two made their way to the Gryffindor dormitory in silence, Sirius only speaking to give the password to the portrait. The common room was busily active with students who were trapped inside due to the storm. James called out a hello from a chair, his seat-of-choice due to its proximity to where Lily Evans was playing a game of chess. Sirius waved back, but Remus kept his attention to himself.

His nose had begun to tickle, but he did his best to ignore the sensation. He hated sneezing in front of other people, and the prospect of sneezing in front of everyone in the common room made his stomach turn. Sneezing in front of Sirius was different. Things were always different with Sirius than they were with everyone else.

Remus and Sirius finally made it to the empty dorm room. Finally feeling comfortable, if not warm, Remus allowed himself to sneeze. “Esshhh! Esshoo! Heh...heh-mmph!” He caught the last one on the damp sleeve of his robe.

“Change,” Sirius commanded. “I won’t watch,” he promised, well aware of Remus’ self-consciousness. But he didn’t turn away. He kept his stare on Remus’ soaked and disheveled form.

Remus made no move to locate warm clothing. He was still shivering, but he was beginning to think that getting out of his wet robes wouldn’t help that problem.

“I’m not mad,” Remus said quietly.

Sirius nodded. “But are you upset?”

“No.”

Sirius nodded again, even though knew Remus too well to believe the simple lie.

“Heh-esshh!” Remus sneezed again, quickly turning away so that he could avoid Sirius’ stare.

Sirius sighed and took a few steps forward. He grabbed Remus by the wrist --- causing Remus to let out a surprised gasp --- and pulled, making Remus trip. Sirius held him upright, in an effort to keep him from falling. Then he wrapped his arms around Remus’ frame and did something that Sirius rarely --- if ever --- did.

He hugged Remus.

And Remus hugged him back.

:twisted: oooooooh.... those adorable, most beloved puppies! :cryhappy::laugh::laugh:

cookies to you for writing a fic about Moony and Padfoot.... but dear, this isn't finished! there's MUCH MUCH more to this story... but if you don't feel like writing it, can I? please? pleeaase? :yes::twisted::laugh:

I must agree with Sooze and Nicole, you can't leave us hanging, Brief Candle. You'll have to put your copy of The Half-Blood Prince down long enough to finish the story! :yes:

By the way, I really enjoyed the story thus far. :twisted:

Awhh... so cute... but everyone is right - you can't just leave it there! This is my favourite pairing - so please write more...!

Thank you for all of your kind comments! I just might continue it, but I MUST finish reading Harry Potter first. :yes: It will own my soul until, at the very latest, Tuesday.

Very nice!

I loved the interaction between Lupin and Black. Very believable and in character (I think).

I will Try not to be jealous as I tr to patiently wait for library book to be availible. :lol: :lol:

Have fun reading. :lol:

And when you are done.... More writing. :lol:

• 1 year later...

I like this one very much ! ^_^ But, do tell me if there was ever more. Your writiing style is thrilling, and even I (who doesn't normally prefer Marauders Era) really really really want to read more. :yes: [/color=#993399]

Peace

Unicornpearlz

Archived