Sneeze Fetish Forum

"Wulf" (m)

tma

Title: "Wulf" (I Will come up with a better title)

Author: me

Fandom: Original: Regency era

Description: A funeral, an iron willed duke and the woman that seeks to understand him.

A/N: I posted some of this Ages and Ages ago and it isn't on here any longer. I revised a bit and added. I know that I'm completely story-hopping and I apologize.

Those eyes were as grey as the clouds looming overhead. He looked the same as he had on the other occasion that we had met. The wedding of my sister and his brother. Now everyone else looked so different- yet he seemed to stay the same.

Then smiles and laughter had wreathed the halls and adorned the faces of those gathered. There were bright festive colours, and dancing. Now dark and somber colours and tones. The bride- turned widow dressed in black. She was standing by their young daughter. The widow's stomach swollen with child, her face swollen with tears. Everything seemed different.

Yet Stoneville seemed remarkably the same. Same perfectly pressed style- not one black hair out of order. The same expressionless face- same aristocratic bearing in his lean body. As seasoned officers muffled sobs for their lost comrade, not one tear was shed by his elder brother. The revered older brother. I knew that there were those that commented that the Duke of Stoneville didn't care- that he was merely doing his duty- that the man had ice in his veins.

Everything about him seemed the same except that that was vaguely different. It took me a while- then I realized that his eyes were duller now. Like some small glimmer had been quenched. Then I noticed that he very subtly sniffed. Of course, one might be tempted to chalk that up to annoyance at being surrounded by "inferior" company. But I didn't think that that was the case.

The pallbearers were lead by the Duke. It has started to rain and the wind had picked up. I was thankful for my fur coat and umbrella. By the time the funeral procession made it back to the Duke's home- he was drenched. Somehow he still emanated the same untouchable, cold annoyance.

I watched as he issued level instructions towards my sister. She was told that she and her family were welcome to stay as long as was needed, and if anything was needed- simply to ring for it. A very slight shiver passed through his body- almost entirely contained by an iron will. She went to hug him- but he evenly protested that he did not wish to ruin her clothes. He excused himself briefly and went to change.

We couldn't find Maria's daughter Joslynn anywhere. I commenced hunting in rooms that hadn't been searched. I had thought to stop into the Duke's study to ask him to join in looking. No one else had dared. I quietly drew nearer as I heard voices.

The first was Joslynn's, high pitched and trembling, "I hurt inside, and I wanted to tell someone, but I don't want to make mama cry." She started to sob. I saw him quietly pick her up and set her on his lap. Stiffly and uncertainly; as though dealing with an exotic and delicate species. She didn't care- just grasped onto him- bawling into the freshly pressed linen of his cravat.

I waited for Stoneville to icily dismiss the child- especially for such a sin as ruining his immaculate appearance- but nothing.

Finally she stopped, and with her small hands grasped on either side of Stoneville's expressionless face- she stared into his eyes and stated matter-of-factly. "You look so very much like him. I'm sure that you must hurt like me." Then she impulsively hugged him.

For the briefest of moments I noticed a myriad of emotions swirling in those grey eyes- confusion, fatigue, frustration, loneliness, and sadness. Then they went blank and he opened his mouth as if to say something. Then he quickly turned his head away from the girl. A quick shaky breath "huh uh itchmpt" the next two sneezes being almost silent and imperceptible except for the slight nod of his head.

Bless you" said the girl solemnly with wide wondering eyes.

He nodded curtly and put her down.

I decided that it was an appropriate time to make my entrance. "Joslynn, love, your mama's been worried."

She sighed and gave the Duke an "I told you so" look. "I was just chatting with Uncle Wulf" she stated patiently; as if that explanation should have been patently obvious to everyone.

"Yes my dear. Well, would you please do me a favour and go upstairs and let her know that everything is fine? I'll be up momentarily."

She nodded, quickly hugged "Uncle Wulf's" leg and then skipped away.

Now I was left in the room to face the granite face and cold grey eyes. "I am sorry about the child m'lord"

Why? Do you not think me capable of summoning my staff to remove the child if the need arose? Or of making a suitable excuse to her if I had wished?" he asked in an even tone- one eyebrow raised.

You know very well what I meant was that you didn't need to feel obligated to entertain her."

Well this is a first" he said in mock surprise. "I've been accused of feeling. I've neh heh vah..." His aristocratic nose actually started to quiver, as his always calm voice hitched. He quickly produced a clean white handkerchief, fending off the sneeze by sheer strength of will until he had the handkerchief securely in hand. "Eischoo... heh huhRetchoo, Chmpt" They pitched him forward slightly in their intensity. He finally managed to stifle the last.

I had the oddest sensation and strangest thoughts. The Duke was and had always been a very attractive man. Lean and sculpted and perfectly presented. But remote and frozen- even with the event of the loss of his brother.

The loss of control that those sneezes represented almost seemed to be his body's way of begging for a bit of reprieve from being so sternly contained from expressing itself over the Duke's profound loss. For I did agree with Joslynn- he did hurt deeply.

The oddest thing was that somehow- in making him more human- the sneezes didn't diminish his attractiveness, but at least for me, almost seemed to heighten it. The juxtaposition of perfect control up against the uncontrollable.

Excuse me" he said hurriedly, trying to get back to his familiar control. "I've never been accused of having feelings. I'm sure that my whole person was simply shocked." he said wryly.

I was torn between annoyance and sympathy. "Firstly, I have never said that you have no feelings. Secondly, part of my concern about Joslynn disturbing or imposing on you was because I know that on top of making all of the funeral arrangements, providing for your brother's family, and being a good host- you are grieving yourself, and not feeling well besides."

"Well" he said evenly. "Trust me that I was Not disturbed by Joslynn." He gave me a pointed glance to imply that he was being disturbed by me. "I thank you for your concern but I am fine."

I was skeptical about that statement- but I let it be. Upon further reflection, his voice had a certain gravely hint to it now, and was less crisp than usual.

"Now if you'll excuse me." He gestured to the door.

The next morning I didn't see Stoneville. I was told that he had been out early, riding. That made sense and I didn't think anything of it.

Despite his statement the previous evening, when he didn't appear for lunch- I grew nervous. I went to his study to check.

He was sitting at one of the chairs that faced the fireplace. He appeared lost in thought. But slowly his features began to transform.

His face enlongated, eyelashes started to flutter and his breathing started to quicken- almost with expectation.

"Dab-it dot huh…. Ah … gahn…" I didn't recognize the thick gravely voice and wouldn't have connected it to him if I hadn't seen it for myself.

"Huuuh EiTch, Eitch, huh eitchoo, Atschoo" They sounded strong and forceful. They kept coming.

Somehow I managed to walk in while Stoneville was in the midst of a sneezing fit. As I came in, I noted a look of concentration in the brief intervals between sneezes. "Huh EiTchoo, chft, itchmf… haahh uhhh" Suddenly, he turned and looked at me- leaving the sneeze hanging- unfinished. I had the feeling that it was entirely based on the force of his iron will. Lack of control was out of place in his universe.

"How can I assist you?" he asked- placing a slight emphasis on the word "assist".

"I hadn't noticed you at lunch. So I…" my voice trailed off under his chilly gaze.

"And you were worried that I had collapsed from starvation and came to revive me." He stated as if talking to a child. "Well, let me assure you that I am still among the land of the living."

I started to play with the pendant on my necklace with my right hand - a nervous habit I had.

"I…well…yes, yes you are. I just…"

"Just what?" he asked, leaning towards me and capturing my right hand in his left.

"Well I…"

Suddenly I was interrupted by a trio of loud, forceful sneezes. "huhATchaah, hahTchaah eiSchumpt"

They came upon him without warning, only giving him enough time to turn away. As he brought his left hand reflexively up to his face- he broke my necklace right off.

"Bless you" I murmured- a bit in awe of what had just happened.

Stoneville shook his head as if to clear it- and looked at me with slightly watery grey eyes. When he noticed that my necklace was missing- he quickly bent down and retrieved the pendant and pieces of the chain and sheepishly handed them to me. Stoneville- sheepish? I Never thought that I'd live to see the day.

He absently ran his fingers through his raven hair. An abashed gesture that I found thoroughly adorable.

"My sincerest apologies, madam. If I may inquire as to where you purchased it- I'll dispatch one of my men first thing in the morning to get a replacement. As well as something suitable to match." His voice still has that crisp efficiency to it.

I hated to do this to him- I truly did. I bit my lip- debating on whether to tell the truth or not.

"Come now. Out with it. I'm certain that you Do have more productive ways to spend your afternoon."

The arrogance. Fine- I'd let him have it then.

"M'lord I didn't purchase it. It was a gift from my mother- handed down from my grandmother." I figured that I had best leave out the detail that it had been given on her deathbed- no sense over doing things.

The Duke's ears turned a deep shade of red and I could almost "see" the wheels turning in his mind. Trying to control this latest development.

"All right. Well, something shall be done regarding its repair. I apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. If you would be so kind as to excuse me though, I still have a few things to attend to." The last was phrased as a choice, but stated as a command, and was a slight bow to me, he turned and strode out of the room.

I watched him leave, then I hurried back to my sister, trying to think of what I should tell her once she noticed the necklace was gone. Because I Knew that Maria would notice and would ask. It was more of a question of when she'd notice. But I supposed that my prolonging absence would be only serve to be more conspicuous, so I headed back straight away.

Yippee! A male story where the hero actually gets beyond the depressingly successful stifling stage!

I am reminded of the Duke of Dorset's sneeze in Beerbohm's "Zuleika Dobson". Ha s that ever been Fandomed? It would be quite something if she caught his cold,. Anyone got a copy?

Mmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmmm, yummy goodness! I love regency-era men with colds! :wub: Thanks tma, wonderfully written as always!

That was just...mmmmm.... Amazing, wonderful, marvellous.... all those words and a billion times more. I love the historical stuff more that anything else and this was especially sexy! Men in tight breeches with sneezy colds - I don't think I could want for anything more. Except more of this, of course! There will be more? Please???

thank you guys So much! :bleh: I am really very happy and grateful that you guys like it. I really do want to write more of this- so I hope that Mr/Ms muse will come along and give me just the right push with the next part.

count- I hadn't heard of that novel- but I looked it up. That scene- I liked it. :cry: And here I was thinking I was having an orginal type of idea. lol! ah well. It does seem like a work where someone could expand it.

Ooh, this was delicious!! I agree- I'm all for story hopping if this is what becomes of it. Wulf is so....so..... :) Wonderful job!

Well, inspireed by all this, I actually went and bought a copy of Zuleika Dobson, by Sir Max Beerbohm, which I would heartily recommend to anyone. The sneezing episodes are better than i remembered so here is the best bit;

I saw the Duke's eyes contract, and the muscles of his mouth drawm down, and, at the same time, a tense upwqrd movement of his whole body. Then, suddenly, the strain undone: a downward dart of the head, a loud percussion. Thrice the Duke sneezed, witha sound that was as the bursting of the dams of body and soul together; then sneezed again.

It hasn't really much to do with Wulf except that both are Dukes and impossibly remote heroes; Dorset is Edwardian and an Oxford undergraduate; moreover Z D is a fantasy comedy! But it has its sneezy possibilities; it would not be out of place [but what would be] if Zuleika were to introduce a routine with sneezing powder into her conjuring act.

Archived