Sneeze Fetish Forum

Fairytale of Newhaven (a sequel to Morning Coffee) Part 12 - Complete + Bonus Chapter

Kaze Wo Hiku

Merry Christmas Camp Libriel!! As I stated when MC ended I was planning a sequel, I actually started part of this while working on MC since it Liam and Gabriel just being adorable together infected my head. This is the result. As it takes place at Christmas I wanted at least the first part posted. With the holiday and new years I'll try to post updates when possible. (also this will NOT be anywhere near as long as MC).

Hope everyone enjoys it. If you haven't read Morning Coffee and would like to know how Liam and Gabriel met, check it out.

~~~~

Part 1: I'll Be Home for Christmas

Two days before Christmas, to say the train station had been crowded was an understatement. Thankfully after some mild pushing, a few curse words, and a ton of deep breaths boarding was a success.

Liam sat forward his elbows on knees, chin resting on his hands. He was doing his best not to let the noise from the other passengers in the car bother him. He was used to traveling alone or at least with only a few others. Not possible this time since the holiday season was in full swing. Instead he had more pressing issues on his mind.

“Gabriel, will you please calm down?” Liam tried to catch the eye of his boyfriend who sat across from him. Sadly Gabriel would not turn those magnificent sky blue eyes toward Liam; he just continued to look nervously out the window.

Liam sighed getting up from his seat moving next to Gabriel. “Look at me.” Liam had found in the few months they had been dating if his boyfriend was in one of his quirky moods if he just asked Gabriel to look at him usually it calmed him down. However Gabriel did not always comply.

“I’m fine, dear.” Gabriel said to the window. Liam took Gabriel’s left hand between both of his.

“Gabriel Lane, don’t lie to me.” He leaned forward so he could see the older man better. “How many times do I have to tell you not to worry?” Liam squeezed his hand. “It’s just my mom and my sister. You have nothing to be worried about.” He lost count how often this conversation surfaced lately.

They were going to Liam’s mom’s house for Christmas, which would be Gabriel’s official introduction to Liam’s family. The already sensitive professor had been on edge for weeks.

Gabriel sighed finally turning in leaning his head against Liam’s. “Apologizes dear. I know you mean well and you’re only looking out for my well-being, it’s just...” He rubbed his nose which already had its normal red tint to it from the cold weather. “Never mind, I ruined Christmas for you last year; I pledge not to do it again.”

Liam rolled his brown eyes. “You did not ruin anything for me last year.”

Gabriel scoffed which led to a brief cough. “I beg to differ.” He said after clearing his throat.

Liam frowned. He had the sneaking suspicion Gabriel was hiding the fact he wasn’t feeling well. When Liam had picked his boyfriend up yesterday from Davenport, the college Gabriel was a professor at, his apartment heat was out. Gabriel would not tell Liam how long it been that way, assuring he felt perfectly fine, but one thing Liam knew, his boyfriend always got sick when his heat was not working. Gabriel had been trying his best to mask his cough.

“Anyways like I said you have nothing to worry about.” Liam tried to emphasize the last part.

Gabriel sighed, “Forgive me Liam dear, but it’s been quite a long time since I met anyone’s parents.” He blushed slightly bringing his blue scarf up.

Liam smiled running his hand over Gabriel’s back. “Are you cold?” He asked after seeing his partner shiver.

“No, the rubbing tickles, it feels nice.” Gabriel said quietly closing his eyes. Liam was not sold on his answer since Gabriel continued to tremble. Liam grabbed the overcoat next to him pulling it over Gabriel’s shoulders.

“Are you feeling okay?” He asked adjusting the coat a bit more.

Gabriel’s shoulders heaved in a heavy sigh. “For the hundredth time since yesterday, yes I’m fine. Well if you don’t count all my normal idiosyncrasies.” He absentmindedly touched his nose.

“Here I’ll go get you some coffee to warm you up.” Liam went to get up.

“No no I’ll do it.” Gabriel insisted. “You stay here, no need for you to put yourself around people.” Now it was Liam’s turn to get flustered.

Liam watched his boyfriend leave their seating area. He sighed leaning back, what Gabriel had said was true, although he had been on medication for over a year, lately his anxiety about people had slowly crept back into his life. Liam was not sure if he had just hit the plateau in his medicine or someone how Gabriel’s anxiety lately had rubbed off on him. Either way he was secretly glad his boyfriend went to get coffee.

That changed once he heard a familiar noise before actually seeing Gabriel again.

Ehh...Eh’sschoo!

Gabriel quickly handed Liam the coffee so he could pull a handkerchief out, problem was Liam knew his coat didn’t have any. “Blast where did I put that?” The older man complained patting his pockets. Liam pulled one out of his back pocket; he’d made a habit of always keeping one on him in case his sometimes forgetful boyfriend well...forgot.

“Thank you dear.” Gabriel flushed covering his chapped nose.

Eeeschooo!

Heh....heh....oh my...

Gabriel squeezed his eyes closed and pinched his nose but sadly no amount of pressure would help.

Heh...Eh’Eeschooo!

“Stop it Gabe.” He said sniffing while giving his nose a hard rub. “Sorry a passenger had perfume on.”

Again Liam was not sold, as sensitive as Gabriel’s allergies were, that sounded much more like cold sneezes but he did not feel like getting into Gabriel’s health on the train.

Liam let out a hard exhale. This was just another issue in a string of difficulties lately. The real problem was not only Gabriel being nervous about meeting his family; it was the age difference between them. Just over 16 years separated the two something his boyfriend just could not look beyond. Gabriel’s reaction when he discovered Liam’s mom was not much older than he had not been a pleasant discussion.

“You’re upset with me aren't you?” Gabriel said quietly twisting his handkerchief in his hands.

“No, I only want you to be comfortable. I've told my mom and sister all about you they're excited to finally meet you.” Liam stressed the last part. He had to tell them everything too. Liam had given his mom the ‘Gabriel Rules’ which included a long winded summary of his boyfriend’s awful allergies so she would keep anything scented to a minimum. Also Liam included ‘No blessing’, his boyfriends prone to being embarrassed and several other little Gabriel-isms. “Please relax.”

Gabriel shrugged running his handkerchief across his nose. “Yes dear.”

Thankfully the train ride from Newhaven to Breckenridge wasn't long about an hour. Liam breathed a huge sigh of relief when he and Gabriel exited the station. The weather was cold but the fresh air calmed him.

“Feeling alright?” Gabriel threw a concerned look as they waited for a cab. Liam nodded pulling the collar on his black trench coat up.

“Fine, fine. Simply needed some air.” He closed his eyes briefly.

Gabriel eyed him as he pulled his scarf up. The professor saw through his partner’s excuse. Liam’s anxiety had been bothering him lately; of course he was probably one of the causes.

The wet cold air aggravated Gabriel’s overly sensitive nose, he found himself continuously wiping it during the cab ride. Sadly all the attention his nose was receiving did not subdue that ever present tickle. Gabriel held his breath in a poor effort to keep it from hitching. No good, he inhaled sharply getting his already depleted handkerchief ready.

Eh’Eeschooo!

Oh dear...Heh...Het’schoo!

He kept the back of his hand pressed to his inflamed nose until the pressure subsided, at least for now.

“Gabriel Lane?” Liam said.

“Y-yes?” Gabriel replied though he knew what was on his partner’s mind. Liam always worried about him; it was comforting though Gabriel wished his health was better so his partner did not have to concern himself with every aspect.

“If you were sick you’d tell me correct?” Liam leaned back against the seat staring at his boyfriend with those soft brown eyes Gabriel adored so much. As much of a fuss Liam made about his own sky blue, Gabriel had secretly revered Liam’s ochre colored eyes long before they’d started dating. Many times he’d caught himself staring at them only to be fully embarrassed once Liam had noticed. The professor disliked Liam referring to them as dirt brown, such drab words it did not do them justice.

“Of c-course.” Gabriel replied cheerfully trying to keep his voice calm. “Just the cold air giving me difficulties.” It wasn’t a lie. “I’ll be fine once we’re inside.”

Liam did not reply just held his gaze a second longer then looked out the window. A fresh layer of snow covered the ground, roofs and gables of the Victorian style houses and any cars that had parked outside with more scheduled to fall by Christmas. Liam loved the sight of falling snow once again happy he’d be able to share this with his cryophobic boyfriend.

“Oh my,” Gabriel looked out the window admiring the historic neighborhood Liam’s mother lived in. “Such beautiful homes.” Many of the houses along the street donned wrap around porches with intricate spindle work, pitched roofs and gables featuring gingerbread trim. Some had columns and bay windows with oriel windows set into them.

Liam smiled knowing Gabriel’s flare for history. “My mom’s house was built in late 1800s, most of the area dates back to then. My parents bought the house after they got married spent years fixing it up before my sister was born.” A nostalgic smile graced his face. “The inside is modern though since my mom wanted all the amenities, I think she updated part of it again a few years ago. I know she changed both mine and my sisters’ room into guest rooms. My grandmother lived with her until she died a few years ago.”

“Oh dear, I’m sorry.” Gabriel placed his hand on Liam’s.

“It’s fine, she lived a full life.” Liam hated that line so much. The cab pulled into the drive way. Liam and Gabriel exited grabbing their luggage. Gabriel paused as Liam paid the cab driver then the two walked up the stone steps onto the covered porch. Liam again stole a glance at his boyfriend who was taking in the architecture.

Liam knocked on the door not waiting for anyone to open it. “Hello?” He called entering the small foyer area. The two pulled their bags in and removed coats. Liam stuck both of them in the hall closet.

A blonde girl, a bit older than Liam entered the hallway. “Bowties are cool.” She said to Gabriel who sported a blue one along with his tan cardigan. He threw a perplexed look from her to Liam. Liam shook his head. “I’ll explain later. Gabriel this is my sister, Melody.” Liam did a sweeping hand motion towards her.

“My pleasure, Melody.” Gabriel smiled at her. “Liam’s told me all about you.”

Melody flashed a look at her little brother. “Oh great,” There was heavy sarcasm in her tone, “And call me Mel, only my mom calls me Melody.” She smiled showing her white teeth.

“Very well, you can call me Gabe if you like since Liam seems to prefer my full name.” He glanced over at his boyfriend who looked innocently upward.

“Awesome, always preferred nicknames anyways. Sadly I never could get one for Liam.” A smirk curled on his lip. “What do you call him?”

Gabriel blushed looking away.

“And thank you Mel.” Liam quickly stepped between them. “Change of subject, where’s Travis?”

His sister shrugged, “He and I are on a break so he’s at his brother’s place.”

Liam gave an overly exaggerated groan. “What number break is this?”

“I lost count after three.” Mel replied sticking out her tongue.

“Why are you two even together?” Liam asked giving a rather judgmental look to his sister.

“Oh don’t you even, it’s not like your track record has been stellar, little brother.” She smiled at Gabriel who looked uncomfortable. “Present company excluded of course.”

Liam rolled his eyes, “You two have been on and off for how long? Ten years? Seriously Mel...”

“What’s wrong with being with the same person for a long time?” Gabriel cut him off. Liam swore internally.

“Yes Liam.” Mel now stood next to Gabriel imitating his arms crossed stance. “What is wrong with that?” Her tone was much more playful than the professor’s had been.

Liam closed his eyes pinching the bridge of his nose. Suddenly he walked back towards the front door.

“Where are you going?” Gabriel asked if possible more confused than before.

“I’m going out, coming in again and rebooting this entire conversation.” Liam said as the door shut. A split second he re-emerged walking back over to his sister and partner.

“Gabriel, Mel. Mel, Gabriel. Ok that’s done, where’s mom?” Liam said walking into the kitchen.

Mel laughed. “Oh this Christmas is going to be fun.” She started down the hall after his brother.

Gabriel ran his hand through his grey hair wondering just what he had got himself into.

~~~~

Oh look at that...Gabriel POV :whistle: (not gonna like harder then expected after writing soley LIam's POV in MC).

Mel's "Bowties are cool" line is from Doctor Who

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a wonderful Christmas present to bring these two back with a new story! Thank you, kaze! Looking forward how this will go on. :)

Wow when you said you'd be writing a sequel I didn't expect it to be so soon! Not that I'm complaining, of course ;) I like Gabriel's POV btw it's a nice change!

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'VE ALREADY FINISHED PART ONE... You're writing pace and skills are mad!!! MAD I TELL YOU!!!

But to spoiled with more LIBRIEL so soon... Gosh I have no complaints whatsoever :D

Liam smiled running his hand over Gabriel’s back. “Are you cold?” He asked after seeing his partner shiver.

“No, the rubbing tickles, it feels nice.” Gabriel said quietly closing his eyes. Liam was not sold on his answer since Gabriel continued to tremble. Liam grabbed the overcoat next to him pulling it over Gabriel’s shoulders.

Awwwww :heart: the subtle tenderness here is just adorable! I melt!

“Gabriel Lane?” Liam said.

“Y-yes?” Gabriel replied though he knew what was on his partner’s mind. Liam always worried about him; it was comforting though Gabriel wished his health was better so his partner did not have to concern himself with every aspect.

“If you were sick you’d tell me correct?” Liam leaned back against the seat staring at his boyfriend with those soft brown eyes Gabriel adored so much. As much of a fuss Liam made about his own sky blue, Gabriel had secretly revered Liam’s ochre colored eyes long before they’d started dating. Many times he’d caught himself staring at them only to be fully embarrassed once Liam had noticed. The professor disliked Liam referring to them as dirt brown, such drab words it did not do them justice.

Omg! Cutiefessor PoV!! :heart: it was so wonderful to (finally) get an insight into how Gabriel sees Liam, how he worries and how he blames himself! Oh GOD and how he adores his eyes too.... NNGGGHHHH puddle of goo!

And I must say, brava on nailing Gabriel's thoughts too... Even in his mind, no way our dear fessor would use trivial words ;)

I'm in awe Kaze, seriously. I would love to see more Fessor PoV! :heart:

Where are you going?” Gabriel asked if possible more confused than before.

“I’m going out, coming in again and rebooting this entire conversation.” Liam said as the door shut. A split second he re-emerged walking back over to his sister and partner.

“Gabriel, Mel. Mel, Gabriel. Ok that’s done, where’s mom?” Liam said walking into the kitchen.

Mel laughed. “Oh this Christmas is going to be fun.” She started down the hall after his brother.

Hahahaha I laughed so hard at Liam here! He's so loveably silly :heart:

Oh, I couldn't agree more Mel.

It's Christmas with Gabriel and Liam AND family. Oh, I can foresee all kinds of shenanigans! ;)

Naturally Gabe is hiding illness and worried about being older than Liam. He's in trouble. And so is Liam by look of it. Boy, Mel and Gabe teamed up pretty quick... *rubs hands together in anticipation and settles in for the ride*

LIBRIEL!!!!!!!! Yay!!! This is adorable. I like Gabriel's perspective.

He had to tell them everything too. Liam had given his mom the ‘Gabriel Rules’ which included a long winded summary of his boyfriend’s awful allergies so she would keep anything scented to a minimum. Also Liam included ‘No blessing’, his boyfriends prone to being embarrassed and several other little Gabriel-isms.

LOL. This is perfection. I love this so much!!!

Again Liam was not sold, as sensitive as Gabriel’s allergies were, that sounded much more like cold sneezes but he did not feel like getting into Gabriel’s health on the train.

Because Gabe knows his sneezes, and now Liam is starting to know them too. I love the idea that they are different. Totally hot.

Can't wait for more!!!!!

@hedgehog: Thank you!

@SpamKey: Heh well considering MC was SUPPOSE to be done by US Thanksgiving and wasn't...not a lot of time btwn posting the two XD

@happybunny: that was my fave scene

@Starpollen: thank you!!

@Juto: Don't worry much more fessor POV coming.

@privatedancer: You're welcome!

@Rachiella: Thank you!!

@SCW: oh they'll be shenanigans!

@AngelEyes: eeeee I know!! and yes Liam is catching on...

@levinelover: Don't worry I will!

Sorry for the complete lack of updates, needless to say the last week was quite busy for me. Hoping to update this more starting this week.

~~~~

Part 2: Oh The Weather Outside is Frightful

The consequence of actions that followed after introducing Gabriel to his mom eluded Liam. One minute they'd be in the shaker style inspired kitchen, with its white cabinets, surrounded by the delicious smell of cinnamon and apples courtesy of Lorelei Black’s cooking as Liam, Gabriel and Lori, as she preferred, talked. Now everyone was gathered in the living room, the main room of the house which Lori had decorated elaborately for Christmas. Along with her trimmed red and gold tree featuring large ornate bulbs scattered amongst hand tied ribbons, matching garland hung from the fireplace mantel. Figures of snowmen and angels sat on the mantel nestled in with family photos.

After Gabriel commented on an old family photo, Liam was now the focus of every child's worst parent inducing nightmare. His mom produced several pictures of her son at different ages. Liam sat arms crossed angrily watching Gabriel and his mom, who were on the couch situated against the hallway wall. His boyfriend's face lit up as Lori showed him Liam’s 1st birthday.

“My dear, you certainly were an adorable child.” Gabriel tapped his fingers against his lips. Liam couldn't lie the endearing look on Gabriel's face was cute. “Look at those curls.”

Never mind, it was annoying definitely annoying. Liam sighed resting his head in his hands.

“Sweetheart don't be mad, I don't exactly do this often.” His mom said smiling. “Only other time was with Elizabeth and you were in high school.”

“Ok,” Liam put one hand up, “Can we not bring up Lizzy please.”

“Why? You two dated for over a year.” Lori replied as she handed Gabriel another photo, this time of Liam wearing a pair of Superman pajamas.

Gabriel now knew who Liam meant when he said his longest relationship had been with a girl.

“Yes I did, it was also high school and I hadn't come out yet so it doesn't count.” Liam threw a glare.

“And Bryce does?” Mel smirked from her position on the floor in front of the fireplace.

Liam threw his hands up trying hard to ignore the fact his boyfriend was grinning. “New rule, my past escapades are off limits. Just keep with pictures.”

Mel fell over laughing, “Your face is so red. I can't breathe.”

Gabriel found himself trying to fight back snickering at how embarrassed his dear Liam looked. The pressure he felt trying to hold off laughing forced a cough to escape. Liam’s head shot up. Gabriel waved him off and cleared his throat.

“Gabe would you like some water?” Lori asked.

“Only if you're getting up, I don't want to impede.” Gabriel let out another small cough.

Lori assured him it was no problem and walked back into the kitchen.

Liam stepped over his sister who was still lying on the floor giggling and sat down next to Gabriel.

“Don't.” His boyfriend said before Liam could even open his mouth. “I'm fine, was simply trying to hold back my amusement at your...” Gabriel grinned.

“My face?” Liam rolled his eyes.

“Your plight.” His boyfriend smiled before turning his head to cough again. Lori returned with water. “Thank you.” Gabriel blushed taking the glass.

“Melody, if you’re quite done I require your assistance in the kitchen.” Lori did the hands on hips mom look down at her daughter. Mel sat up shaking her head at Liam then followed her mom.

“Thank God that’s over.” Liam rubbed his forehead.

“I’ll make it up to you; I’ll relinquish some of my childhood photos the next time you’re at my apartment.” Gabriel replied giving his nose a quick rub, “Remember it was the 1970s.”

Liam barked a laugh which he knew his boyfriend would not appreciate. “Sorry, but I’m holding you to that.” He leaned over kissing Gabriel on the cheek.

The two chatted until Liam’s mom announced dinner was ready which was laid out in the dining room. Liam and Gabriel sat next to each other waiting as Lori set the lasagna dish on the table. Melody followed taking the seat across from Gabriel. “I just need to grab the garlic bread.” Lori said turning back through the doorway.

Something about the way the table was set made Gabriel curious. “Liam dear,” He leaned over so only his boyfriend could hear. “Why is there an extra place setting?”

Liam’s expression fell, his eyes darted quickly to the head of the table then back to his lap. “It's for my dad.” He tangled his fingers together. “My mom does it for every holiday or anytime both my sister and I are home.”

Gabriel reached over cupping his hand over his partners. “Dearest.”

“I'm fine love.” Liam looked up again thanking God Mel hadn't noticed.

Gabriel observed Liam’s ochre eyes were cloudy pools but no tears fell as his partner swiftly wiped them with his napkin as Lori re-entered with the bread.

Lori dished out the food, conversations started as Mel decided to basically play twenty questions with Gabriel asking everything from where he grew up to how he got into teaching to several questions which made the poor professor turn away blushing.

Gabriel’s heart ached as Liam remained unusually quiet during dinner his expression still somber. The couple's non eating hands locked together beneath the table Liam appreciating the comforting feel of his boyfriend's thumb drawing circles on his hand.

The conversation shifted to travel as Mel stated she longed to return to Italy.

“Oh my yes, Italy is opulent especially Florence.” Gabriel said as a nostalgic smile graced his face.

Mel’s blue eyes lit up. “You’ve been to Florence? I spent a semester there in college.”

“How lovely, yes I have as well as Venice,” He paused as Mel let out a squeal. “Pisa, Milan also Paris, Nice, a few other places in France. I spent a few years there.”

“Parlez-vous français?” Mel asked not able to contain her smile.

“Oui, je parle couramment.” Gabriel replied with a nod.

Liam threw this boyfriend a confused look. “You never told me you spoke French.”

“You never asked my dear.” Gabriel quipped shrugging but his eyes stayed on Liam. “I used to teach it part time for a few years at Davenport until they hired a full time professor.” He added rubbing his nose.

Though Liam was enjoying listening to Gabriel carry on with his sister in French he was starting to feel a bit left out. Mel and Gabriel ended up having much more in common than just linguistics. Mel being a former thespian indulged Gabriel with stories of all the plays she'd been in to which Gabriel recited some of his favorite pieces. They continued well after dinner was over so Liam helped his mom clear the table.

“Everything alright?” Lori asked as Liam started rinsing off plates.

“Fine Mom.” He replied scraping the leftover food off watching it fall into the disposal. Suddenly he felt his mother's warm touch on his shoulder.

“Want me to call her off?” Lori smiled at her son.

“Would you? I mean I'm glad Gabriel has someone to talk to about this but yes please.” Liam looked back out at the two still immersed in their spirited conversation.

Lori patted Liam's shoulder. “Melody, would you help me please?”

“One minute mom.” Came the reply, Liam sighed, his sister's minutes could last an hour.

“Melody Lorelei.” Lori said firmly. The sound of chairs skidding across a hardwood floor followed as Mel and Gabriel entered the kitchen.

Liam kissed his mom on the cheek and mouthed “Thank you” as he grabbed his boyfriend's hand leading him out into the living room.

“Something wrong dear?” Gabriel asked as he sat next to Liam.

Liam adjusted so his body faced Gabriel whose beautiful blue eyes still had a faint aura of confusion. “Nothing’s wrong.” He smiled running his fingers lightly over his partners cheek.

Gabriel's gaze shifted slightly like he was about to say something but instead he simply shrugged running two fingers across his nose.

The two sat on the couch, the faint sound of Christmas music floated in. “My mom always listens to it while she bakes.” Liam said.

“She's an excellent cook, I see where you...” Gabriel turned away from Liam burying his face in his shoulder.

Eh'tschoo!

“Sorry.” He blushed rubbing his nose again. “As I was saying I now understand where you get your culinary flare from.”

“You okay?” Liam asked knowing what the answer would be.

Gabriel let out a sharp exhale, “Yes dear.” He was getting quite annoyed with the constant questioning. “I believe we’ve already had this palaver a few times.” Gabriel frowned crossing his arms.

His boyfriend's tone was not lost on Liam. “We have.” He decided to leave it at that.

“Very well, now if you'll excuse me a moment dear.” Gabriel pushed himself up. “I'll be right back.” He smiled down at Liam.

In the hall Gabriel barely made it into the powder room before the tickle he'd been fighting since dinner broke through again. Pressing the folds of his handkerchief to his nose he fought a losing battle as his breath quickened.

Eh’tschoo!

Eh...Eh’Eeetschoo!

He managed to muffle them in the handkerchief so Liam would not hear. A few tears escaped his eyes so a quick wipe was in order. Gabriel looked in the mirror assessing the damage. Aside from his blasted nose being redder than before and watery eyes he didn't look bad. Not someone who was fighting a cold. Quickly Gabriel reached into his cardigan pocket pulling out a small travel size packet of cold medicine he'd snuck earlier. Popping the pills in his mouth he threw his head back forcibly swallowing the medicine.

He hated deceiving Liam but this was one time he definitely did not want to be sick. Another hard nose rub, Gabriel pocketed his handkerchief and left the bathroom.

He ran directly into his partner. “Liam dear! Goodness you startled me.” Gabriel stepped back placing his hand against his chest.

“Wondered where you went is all.” Liam said sweetly. “I need to do a favor for my mom, will only take a minute.” He moved around Gabriel to the front closest grabbing his trench coat.

Gabriel followed him, “Should I come dear?”

Liam shook his head as he flung his coat on narrowly missing hitting his boyfriend with the bottom. “No need plus it requires being outside and around a dog, two things I know you despise.”

The thought of winter's chill sent shivers down the professor’s spine. Still though given he was only graced a few days to spend with his Liam, Gabriel reached past his partner getting his overcoat and scarf.

Liam raised a confused eyebrow. “What are you doing? Did you not hear what I just said?”

“I did dear, please we only have a scant amount of time together I want to spend as much with you as possible.” Gabriel wrapped his blue scarf around his neck. “I'll stay away from the dog.”

“Gabriel Lane this isn't a good idea and you know it.” Liam positioned himself in front of the door. “I just need to take the neighbor’s dog for a quick walk, it'll take ten minutes tops.”

Gabriel stood his ground, “Well then we won't be outside for long now will we?” The two stared at each other inside the foyer for a good minute before Liam sighed putting on his fingerless gloves.

“Fine.” He replied, holding the door open for Gabriel. Thankfully there was no wind however the air was so frigid the second Gabriel drew a breath he immediately coughed. Not even to the driveway Liam turned facing his boyfriend.

“Care to change your mind there Professor?” Liam crossed his arms to make a point, totally not to keep from shivering.

Gabriel inhaled sharply wincing as the night air froze his throat sending the sensation down to burn his lungs. His effort to hold another cough in caused more problems, Gabriel bent over pressing his hand to his mouth in a poor effort to control it. He felt Liam’s touch graze his back.

“Come on; let's go back inside, you'll catch your death out here.” Liam said calmly but frowned when Gabriel shook his head.

“I'm fine, didn't ready myself for how bitter it is.” He drew a slow breath. “It’s passed.” Gabriel pulled out his handkerchief wiping his eyes then blew his nose quickly. The cold was not helping his sinuses one bit but Gabriel was determined to push through. “There.” He smiled weakly and pocketed the handkerchief.

Liam’s expression was doubtful but he shrugged not wanting to argue with his boyfriend. “Okay then, let’s go.” The two carefully walked down the driveway to the sidewalk both which had a faint layer of snow on covering it. The air continued to irritate Gabriel’s lungs causing short hard coughs as they walked a few houses down. Liam did not say anything but Gabriel could feel his partner glare at him every time he tried to stifle one.

“Wait here; I want you as far from the dog as possible.” Liam said over his shoulder as they approached a blue and white Victorian cottage style house. Gabriel nodded pulling his scarf up hoping to shield his face from the cold. Another quick cough escaped his lungs forcing a hard shivery breath. Gabriel huddled in his coat fighting to keep his body heat from evaporating into the night air. He managed to rub his nose with his handkerchief discretely as Liam returned holding the leashed dog.

“Ready?” He asked eyeing Gabriel. “I only plan on going to the end of the street.” He pointed to the right, “And then coming back, too cold for us as well as Rusty.” Liam patted the Black Lab who wagged his tail happily at Gabriel. “Seems he likes you.”

Gabriel glanced nervously at the dog as the three started down the sidewalk. Truthfully he was allergic to dogs but only if he touched them, he’d react to the oil in their skin, a predicament learned at a very young age and never wanted to repeat. He did not want to risk the dog inadvertently making contact with him. Cats though, that was a different story. However as Liam was not aware of this Gabriel decided to use the excuse as blame for his alignment as his nose became quite sensitive from the chilly air and lingering cold. A few paces into their walk, Gabriel froze, Liam turned to see his boyfriend's handkerchief pressed against his nose.

Eh’Eeeschooo!

The force of the sneeze caused Gabriel to snap forward. Before he could even recover two more wet ones followed.

Heh...Hehtscheww!

Oh my...Hehtsxxxnt!

Gabriel sniffed hard then blew his sore nose praying it would relieve the pressure lodged in his sinuses. “Dear me.” He wiped his runny nose. “It's just my blasted allergies dear.” Gabriel answered Liam's unasked question.

Liam pressed his lips together as Gabriel fell back in step with him, the writer watched his boyfriend out of the corner of his eye continually wipe and rub his inflamed nose as they walked to the corner. “Gabriel Lane enough.” Liam halted but lunged forward a bit as Rusty was not ready to stop.

Gabriel chuckled before crinkling his nose as he felt another sneeze building.

“Let me finish myself, go back to my mom's house I'll meet you there.” Liam did not want to stay still too long.

“Dear, I'm fi..ne..” Gabriel was going to fight this cold with everything he had. “Let’s...go.”

Liam gave an exhausted sigh, “You are so stubborn. Why don't you just be truthful, you have a cold don't you.”

Gabriel swallowed which triggered a small cough. “Liam dear I'm standing a foot from your four legged friend in the biting cold. Need I remind you how s-sensitive I'm am t-to both-h?” His words broken up by his teeth chattering.

“You're freezing! As am I. The only one who's happy right now is the dog!” Liam motioned to Rusty who was digging in the snow.

Gabriel sniffed wetly giving his nose another hard blow hoping to quell the sneeze he still felt building. “If you're cold then let's continue walking.”

“One more sneeze or cough and I'll march you back myself.” Liam stuck his finger at his boyfriend whose expression fell.

“Very well.” The professor responded quietly running his handkerchief over his nose. Liam took Gabriel by the arm hoping to generate warmth between them.

The still of the winter's night calmed Liam while they walked; only Gabriel's constant sniffling along with their shoes crunching the snow made any sound.

Gabriel felt pressure increase in his chest, he cleared his throat hoping it would free up anything lodged, sadly it did not. He drew another slow breath shaking from the chill in his lungs. He suddenly worried about how easily he normally contracted Bronchitis; his chest ached much as it had a year ago when he was suffering from it. He had Liam though not that Gabriel wanted to relive any part of last December. Well maybe a few parts were acceptable.

Having kept his cold under control somehow they returned to Rusty’s house, Liam going inside to return the dog, making sure he had enough food and water while his owners were away.

As soon as Liam was gone a body clenching congested cough ripped through Gabriel. The professor muffled it in his coat sleeve hoping the fit ceased before his partner returned. Finally able to take a shaky breath he cleared his throat praying his voice worked the next time he needed it.

Liam reappeared a few minutes later, “Ok let's get you inside.” He took Gabriel by the hand. Just as they started up his mom's driveway puffy snowflakes began falling adding to what already lay on the ground. Liam’s gaze went to the sky watching the millions of flakes rain down stinging his cheeks.

Gabriel paused a smile forming as he watched Liam enjoy the snow reflecting in the street lights. The snow settling in his dirty blonde hair gave him an aura of an angel in a black trench coat.

Liam closed his eyes ignoring the cold and relishing in the peace he found from falling snow. Then his thoughts went to his dad...Liam abruptly shook his head the snow scattering running down the back of his neck chilling him.

“Liam dear?” Gabriel pulled his partner close after feeling him shiver. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, come on, it’s cold.” Liam stepped up the stairs getting under the porch. Pushing open the door he let Gabriel inside as he took one last look at the beautiful snow. Sadly the sound of his boyfriend's sneezing interrupted the moment.

Heh...Het’schoo!

Gabriel’s depleted handkerchief was no good anymore, the professor frowned stuffing it into his coat pocket.

“Come on you need to rest.” Liam removed his coat.

“Dear,” Gabriel’s voice now thick with congestion. “It's allergies. I'm fine.”

Liam looked at his phone. “It's after 7pm you need your allergy medicine.” He still wasn't buying Gabriel’s excuses at this point he was trying to catch his boyfriend in his lie. “That should help correct?”

Gabriel’s eyes went to the ceiling, “Of course, though being around the dog might impede it.” He let out a shivering sigh running his hands over his sweater sleeves.

“My mom probably doesn't have lemon tea but she might have green or chamomile, want to me check?” Liam asked nonchalantly.

Gabriel knew perfectly well what his partner was trying to pull. “You know I only drink lemon tea when I'm ill. Since I'm not any other would be delightful.”

Liam shrugged. “Go take your medication I'll meet you upstairs.” He walked down the hall into the kitchen.

Climbing the stairs and rounding the corner to their room Gabriel quickly shut the door. He bent forward sneezing into the crook of his elbow.

Eh'tschoo!

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

“Oh my Gabe, you've dug yourself into quite the hole haven't you.” The professor rubbed his chapped nose then went to find his allergy medicine.

TBC

~~~~

Author's Note: as I'm not fluent in French at ALL, I used google translate so I hope it cooperated. If it didn't PLEASE someone let me know so I can fix it.

Parlez-vous français? - Do you speak French?

Oui, je parle couramment - Yes, I speak fluently.

Gabriel is also fluent in Italian and versed in Latin.

Aha! An update! So many adorable moments in this, Kaze.

After Gabriel commented on an old family photo, Liam was now the focus of every child's worst parent inducing nightmare. His mom produced several pictures of her son at different ages. Liam sat arms crossed angrily watching Gabriel and his mom, who were on the couch situated against the hallway wall. His boyfriend's face lit up as Lori showed him Liam’s 1st birthday.

“My dear, you certainly were an adorable child.” Gabriel tapped his fingers against his lips. Liam couldn't lie the endearing look on Gabriel's face was cute. “Look at those curls.”

Never mind, it was annoying definitely annoying. Liam sighed resting his head in his hands.

Everyone's nightmare. I had to laugh. :D

Though Liam was enjoying listening to Gabriel carry on with his sister in French he was starting to feel a bit left out. Mel and Gabriel ended up having much more in common than just linguistics. Mel being a former thespian indulged Gabriel with stories of all the plays she'd been in to which Gabriel recited some of his favorite pieces. They continued well after dinner was over so Liam helped his mom clear the table.

And then having your SO co opted by your sibling. Another nightmare. Poor Liam.

“Dear me.” He wiped his runny nose. “It's just my blasted allergies dear.” Gabriel answered Liam's unasked question.

Liar.

“Dear,” Gabriel’s voice now thick with congestion. “It's allergies. I'm fine.

Liar, liar.

Liam looked at his phone. “It's after 7pm you need your allergy medicine.” He still wasn't buying Gabriel’s excuses at this point he was trying to catch his boyfriend in his lie. “That should help correct?”

Gabriel’s eyes went to the ceiling, “Of course, though being around the dog might impede it.” He let out a shivering sigh running his hands over his sweater sleeves.

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

“Oh my Gabe, you've dug yourself into quite the hole haven't you.” The professor rubbed his chapped nose then went to find his allergy medicine.

Oh, I am so willing to bet this isn't even the half of it! Gabe, is going to be in soooo much trouble.

YAY UPDATE!!! :heart: take your time dear, they're worth waiting for :)

First of all, I am LOVIN' Gabriel's PoV!! We finally get to enjoy Liam and his ochre eyes through the Professor's sensitive and ever observing yet slightly dense mind! YyyAAASSS!!!

My dear, you certainly were an adorable child.” Gabriel tapped his fingers against his lips. Liam couldn't lie the endearing look on Gabriel's face was cute. “Look at those curls.”

BWAHAHAHAA!!! Sorry Liam! Tradition in every family I guess! Embarrassing pictures MUST be presented to new partner! It is a universally acknowledged parental rule!!

Liam’s expression fell, his eyes darted quickly to the head of the table then back to his lap. “It's for my dad.” He tangled his fingers together. “My mom does it for every holiday or anytime both my sister and I are home.”

Gabriel reached over cupping his hand over his partners. “Dearest.”

“I'm fine love.” Liam looked up again thanking God Mel hadn't noticed.

Gabriel observed Liam’s ochre eyes were cloudy pools but no tears fell as his partner swiftly wiped them with his napkin as Lori re-entered with the bread.

:heart: dearest! :heart: ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gabriel’s heart ached as Liam remained unusually quiet during dinner his expression still somber. The couple's non eating hands locked together beneath the table Liam appreciating the comforting feel of his boyfriend's thumb drawing circles on his hand.

*melts* :heart: just ahhhhh

I loved the whole walking the dog piece! Sneaky Gabriel trying to pass his sneezes off as allergies! Pffffftt! Doesn't he know that his Liam can probably tell the difference by now?

Lastly, the amount of adorable nose rubbing in this chapter was fetishly delicious! :P

*braces tent against strong wind but keeps popcorn and soda close* MOAR :lol:

Awwww, Gabriel, you stupid professor - what are you doing? I guess, this will become a hell of a cold. (And Liam will not be amused...) Thank you for another wonderful chapter!

I have totally been the victim of the, "Look at these adorable pictures of her when she was little!" Also of the usurping of my SO and feeling left out. I can definitely sympathize.

Yes. Yes you have. Liam will not be happy.

I however, will be happy. Yes I do feel guilty for enjoying his misery. Doesn't mean I don't.

Ohhhh no Gabe this will not end well for you >.< Well, I mean, it will end well; it'll just get a lot worse before it gets better, knowing Kaze's pattern :P

@ scw: oh yes he's quite the little liar...

@Starai: thank you!

@Juto: exactly must embarrass kids!

@rachiella: thank you!!

@hedgehog: yeah not Gabriel's best decision...

@AngelEyes: he will not be happy

@SpamKey: Oh yes, I have a pattern :P

Update time! (this part is kinda long...apologies)

~~~~

Part 3: May All Your Troubles Soon Be Gone

According to the clock sitting on the nightstand it was just after 6am. Gabriel miserably sat on the side of the bed rubbing his eyes. In no way was the professor awake but his blasted cold now made it impossible for him to sleep. Unable to breathe from his clogged nose he exhaled wondering where his Liam was.

His boyfriend's insomnia worried him immensely but it no longer surprised him to not find Liam in bed at any hour of the night. Gabriel assumed Liam was on his little computer doing whatever he did as a night owl.

His thought process was interrupted as he braced for another harsh sneeze the ones that had broken his restless sleep.

Ehe'hxxxtsooo!

Gabriel groaned wincing as he tried blowing his nose. His congestion only produced sharp stinging pain in his sinuses.

Frustrated Gabriel threw his handkerchief onto the floor and pushed off the bed. Grabbing his clothes he walked into the adjacent bathroom; Liam mentioned his mom added it when his grandmother lived here. Given how he felt Gabriel was happy he did not have to brave walking down the hall to the normal upstairs bathroom.

He assessed his reflection internally cursing his grey hair. Even if Liam adored it Gabriel had never been fond of having been grey since his late 20s. At 42 though it made better sense. Gabriel gripped the sides of the brown granite sink basin. Blast it was his birthday today. Gabriel hoped Liam forgot though knowing his partner's impeccable memory Gabriel wasn't holding his breath. 42 and dating a 25 year old...

Heht’scheww!
Heh…Hnh’tschoo!

Fiercely the professor ran his hand over his ever red nose. The travel cold medicine he'd been sneaking was nearly gone. Only one dose remained sadly it would not be enough as Gabriel felt worse today.

Reaching into the shower he turned the dial hoping the warm water and steam would bring much needed relief to his congestion. Roughly ten minutes later Gabriel emerged quickly changing into clothes, normal blue button up shirt and tan pants, no tie or cardigan today. The steam helped, his sinuses cleared a bit enough he could breathe again. Stepping back out into the bedroom Liam, in jeans and some band that Gabriel didn’t know T-shirt, greeted him holding out a cup of coffee.

“Morning Gabriel Lane and Happy Birthday.” He went to kiss his boyfriend's lips but Gabriel turned his head at the last minute. “Why did you do that?” Liam pulled back giving an accusing stare.

Gabriel put on his best somber face, “Dear you know I don't like acknowledging my birthday.” He faked a sigh hoping his answer would distract his partner from inquiring further.

“Uh huh.” Liam scoffed but did not pry.

Gabriel smiled sipping his coffee. “Oh heavens this is wonderful.” He looked at the cup then to Liam.

“It’s Cinnamon Viennese, figured you want something a bit different on your birthday.” Liam replied smiling.

“Dear...” Gabriel sighed even though he was enjoying the coffee.

“Don't ‘dear’ me,” Liam locked eyes not loving the dark lines under his boyfriend's magnificent blues. “My birthday was amazing! You can't expect me to simply pretend yours doesn't exist.” Liam ran his hand over his boyfriend's arm.

“I wish you would.” Gabriel muttered into his coffee.

“Too bad.” Liam grabbed an envelope from off the bed holding it out for Gabriel who gave a curious look as he opened it.

The card face featured a picture of a small two-tier decorated cake with a piece missing and no text. Gabriel raised an eyebrow at Liam who remained quiet. The inside showed the piece sitting on a plate. When in doubt serve the cake was the writing.

Gabriel chuckled, “How very Marie Antoinette of you.”

“Maybe CJ is rubbing off on me.” Liam quipped.

“Better him than his boss.” Gabriel muttered causing Liam to laugh. “What's this?” The professor pulled out a slip of paper marked ‘coupon’.

“It's for whatever you want, one coupon for an event of your choosing be it a museum, movie, play, anything cultural you wish to partake in. Just tell me and I'll accompany you, I'll even dress up if necessary.” Liam rocked back on his heels.

Gabriel's eyes widened, “Really now?” His lips parted into a smile. “I’ll remember that.” He breath hitched the professor clasped his free hand over his nose.

Eh’tschoo!

“Mornings...” He set the card with the coupon on the nightstand then searched his overnight bag for a new handkerchief. “Oh dear.” Gabriel frowned finally finding one. “Appears I'm nearly out. Stupendous.”

“I'll do some laundry, well if my mom has unscented detergent.” Liam replied stepping closer to his boyfriend in order to better assess Gabriel’s health. Aside from the normal red chapped nose and sniffling, Liam observed Gabriel looking a bit paler than normal and he believed he heard a slight hoarseness to his voice.

“How are your allergies today?” Liam asked nonchalantly taking a seat on the bed.

Gabriel lowered his coffee mug after finishing the delicious blend. He needed to word his answer carefully. “For the moment fine but I'm sure they will surface again.” He itched his nose wincing slightly at the soreness but hoping to stifle the tickle.

Liam did not appear convinced. Gabriel gave an uncomfortable throat clear while rubbing his nose again, the sensation was growing.

“Dear, would you be so kind to bring me another cup of that wonderful coffee?” If there was one thing Gabriel did not have to disguise was his love, or perhaps addiction was a better word, of coffee. Liam rose grabbing the cup letting his boyfriend know he'd return shortly.

Gabriel listened for footsteps going down before opening the last of the medicine and swallowing it. Pressure filled his sinus cavity again as the calming effects of the steam wore off. Gabriel pressed the back of his hand firmly to his nose blinking rapidly. A few quick short breaths followed before finally what he'd been fighting won.

Eh’tschoo!
Eh’Eeetschoo!

“Bloody hell.” He fished out his handkerchief wiping then blowing his nose. “Ow.” He whined stuffing it back in his pocket. Shaking his head wishing that alone would clear his congestion the bedroom door creaked open.

“If you're hungry I'm making breakfast.” Liam said.

“Wonderful, I'll be down in a minute.” The professor replied taking the coffee from Liam who noticed a deeper hoarseness to Gabriel’s voice. The fact his boyfriend continued to hide his illness weighed on Liam.

Walking back downstairs into the kitchen Liam banged the black granite countertop in frustration biting his lip as pain surged through his fist.

“All work and no sleep make Liam cranky?” Mel obviously caught the outburst as she glided in. “Whatcha cooking little brother?”

“Eggs.” Liam massaged his hand. “And for the record not sleeping does not make me cranky.” He shot his sister a glare as he maneuvered around the L-shaped counter back to the stove.

Mel slid into a corner chair at the table, crossing her left leg over the right, leaning forward. “Oh fight with the professor then?” Her blue eyes inquisitive. “He’s such a cutie.”

“Please don't ever let him hear you say that.” Liam feathered the egg batter in the pan.

“And why not? It’s the truth.” Mel huffed. Liam needed to change the subject pronto.

“We didn't fight either, he's...” Liam exhaled plating the first set of scrambled eggs. “Hold on make sure he's not coming.”

Mel arched her neck so she could see the hall clearly. “Not there.”

Liam cracked two more eggs, beating the whites and yolks together before dumping it into the sizzling pan. “Gabriel gets sick, a lot. He doesn't have the greatest immune system, something he hates discussing.” He shot a look to his sister who pantomimed the zipped lips.

Moving the eggs so they'd cook evenly he continued, “His apartment at Davenport has heating issues, it was out when I picked him up. Long story short, I nearly positive he has a cold yet he refuses to admit it.” Liam deemed these had cooked long enough. Second set of eggs plated he joined his sister at the table positioning himself with a clear view of the hallway.

“I'm sure he just doesn't want to worry you.” Mel said as she cut into the eggs with the side of her fork.

Liam sighed staring at his breakfast, “That's the problem; he never wants to worry me which makes me worry even more.” He massaged the top of his head.

Suddenly both heard footsteps coming down the hall but to Liam's relief it was his mom.

“Morning you two.” Lori greeted her children cheerfully. “And Liam you made breakfast, I could kiss you.” Which she did her light brown hair slapping Liam’s ear.

“Mom...” Liam flushed with embarrassment actually pleased his boyfriend didn't witness it.

“Sweetheart,” She continued, “You might want to go check on Gabe, he was coughing quite hard.”

Liam jumped from the table hightailing it down the hall and back up the stairs. Reaching for the doorknob he stopped, as a harsh wet cough came from the other side. Liam rested his head against the hard wood of the six paneled door. Tightness formed in his chest forcing a few calming breaths, last thing he needed was his anxiety to flare up.

Another hard cough leaked through the cracks of the door. Liam’s hand nearly banged the door in pure frustration however he pulled back at the last minute. “Gabriel?” His voice wavered.

“Sorry, I'll be right out.” Came the strained reply. “Don't worry. I'm fine.”

Liam mouthed the last part along with his boyfriend. Of course he was it was the automatic reply. His vision blurred, Liam blinked rapidly leaning on the door for support. He heard footsteps coming toward him, stepping back he met Gabriel as the door opened.

“Dear I...” Gabriel’s eyes widened, “Are you alright?” He squeezed his partners shoulder

“That's my line for you.” Liam replied coldly. Gabriel flinched looking away causing Liam’s heart to crack. “Apologies love.” He softened his tone last thing he wanted was to upset the sensitive professor. “I heard you coughing.”

“No worries dear, took a bad breath is all.” The older man stepped past him palming the stair rail. “Do I still get to indulge in your cooking?” He smiled up at Liam who remained by the door hiding his balled fists behind his back so his boyfriend wouldn't notice.

Gabriel was his typical “sneezy mess” self during breakfast which not surprisingly he blamed on his morning routine as it was known.

“Mornings and I never get along.” The professor gave his trademark look to Mel as he rubbed his crimson nose. “I’m sure Liam will eventually get sick of hearing me deal with it every day.” Gabriel smiled at his partner. Liam scowled not finding the joke funny, he dug his fork into his breakfast.

“Whoa there little brother, those eggs are defenseless.” Mel smirked, “You've already beat them.”

“Funny.” Liam replied dryly as he took a bite.

Gabriel cleared his throat trying to catch Liam's eyes but his partner would not comply.

“Dear,” He finally leaned over, “Apologies for my comment, I shouldn’t have joked.” Gabriel placed his hand on Liam's.

“No worries Professor.” Liam shrugged, “Never said you can't make jokes.”

His boyfriend gave a half smile before scrunching his face using his handkerchief to pinch his chapped nose.

“Goodness today has not treated me well.” He blinked not able to hold back the ticklish sensation.

Hhh...Heh…Hnh’tschoo!
Heh...Hehtscheww!

“Excuse me a moment.” Gabriel's cheeks burned as he walked into the hall. Liam simply shook his head as he listened to his boyfriend fight the cold he wouldn't admit to having.

“Liam?” Lori's voice brought him out of his haze. “Could you let Rusty out again please? I’d truly appreciate it.”

“No problem mom.” Liam wasn’t exactly hungry anymore. Passing Gabriel in the hall he headed for the door. “No you’re not coming this time.” He said snatching his coat off the hanger.

“Ok dear.” Gabriel’s voice caked with congestion. “Here.” He grabbed his own scarf wrapping it snuggly around his partner’s neck. “Stay warm please.” Gabriel’s hand caressed Liam’s cheek slowly. The couple leaned in, Liam’s eyes fluttered as he felt his boyfriend's warm breath in his ear along with his gentle strumming of fingers along his back. At that moment he did not want to move or even breathe. The weight of the past few days melted, all he felt radiating from his lover’s body was genuine affection even in his soft touch. Liam wanted nothing more than to bottle this moment forever, sadly he’d promised his mom.

Sighing, Liam straightened internally cursing his neighbors for going out of town and not taking their dog. “I’ll be back shortly.” He replied bringing his hand up stroking the back of Gabriel’s gorgeous grey hair. Liam titled his head again attempting to lock lips with his boyfriend, this time Gabriel did not pull away. Happily Liam smiled turning to the door. “Oh wonderful.” He said seeing how much snow covered the walkway. “Would you tell my mom I’m going to shovel her driveway and sidewalk please?”

“Yes dear,” Gabriel said quickly, his breath hitched slightly. “Don’t be...gone..long..” He twisted away stepping back barely getting his handkerchief up in time.

Eh’tschoo!
Eh... Ehe'hxxxtsooo!

The professor snapped forward, the force of the sneezes surprising him. “Oh my.” He blew his nose wetly, “Sorry.” A faint blush painted his cheeks an even brighter red.

“I'll be back, just...” There were about ten things Liam wanted to list off starting with ‘admit you're sick you stubborn sexy man and go to bed so I can take care of you’ but he settled for, “Relax while I'm gone.”

Gabriel nodded while rubbing his tender nose watching as his partner walk into the white winter wonderland.

Hehtscheww!

“Bloody hell.” Nothing seemed to be ceasing the infernal tickle wreaking havoc on his sinuses. Another hard congested blow did little to elevate the pressure.

“Gabe?”

Liam's boyfriend whirled around quickly pocketing the soiled handkerchief meeting Lori’s rich brown eyes, a shade darker than his Liam's. “You surprised me,” The professor scratched the back of his head trying to hide his embarrassment. “Liam wanted me to notify you he's shoveling your walkway.” Gabriel coughed the last word.

Lori smiled, “He's always been so helpful.” She walked past Gabriel to the door glancing out the slim side window adjacent to it. “Ever since he was a child I never needed to repeatedly ask him to do something, it was wonderful.” Lori’s fingers delicately touched the window pane. “It helped a lot after my husband got sick. Liam was my little beacon of hope.”

Gabriel bit his bottom lip, even after knowing Liam for over a year he still hadn't gone into details concerning his father. Every time Gabriel had tried to bring it up Liam forcefully changed the subject. As much as he wanted to know the professor did not feel comfortable asking his partners mother for information.

Lori continued to gaze lovingly out the window at her only son.

“Mom!” Mel’s voice from the kitchen rang down the hallway. “The timer is beeping.”

“Coming.” Liam's mom replied. Turning she locked eyes with Gabriel, “There's cold medicine in the upstairs bathroom.” Adding a smile she proceeded back to the kitchen.

Gabriel Herondale was never one to turn down motherly advice especially now having found surprisingly ally in Liam’s mother. A quick dash up the stairs into the main bathroom he flung open the medicine cabinet. A box of medicine rested on the bottom shelf. Removing the pallet of pills he broke off two pocketing them for later use.

Walking back downstairs he entered the living room admiring the dozen or so family pictures Lori Black had assembled carefully above the couch. One in particular stood out, Liam, maybe 3 or 4, sitting on his father's lap, the two looking at each. The sheer joy on Liam’s little face as his father smiled down at him brought tears to Gabriel’s eyes.

Wiping them away Gabriel heard talking coming from the kitchen.

“Mom, they're adorable together.” Gabriel recognized Mel's voice. “You can't deny that.”

“I'm not Melody. That's not the point I'm trying to make.” Her mom replied.

Never one to normally eavesdrop Gabriel now found himself in the hall leaning against the wall that led into the kitchen.

“So every relationship Liam's ever had has crashed and burned, I don't think the cutiefessor...”

Gabriel stabilized his body against the wall after nearly tripping thanking the gods his Liam hadn't heard.

“...is in the same league as Bryce, Derek or whatever the kid from Halifax...”

“Everest.” Lori answered.

“Yeah him, I can never remember his name.” Mel scoffed. “Gabe is obviously much more mature than all of them combined.”

Gabriel internally thanked Mel for the comment.

“I understand that Melody. I'm not questioning Gabe in this at all, my concern is about Liam.” Lori sighed.

A twinge of pain ripped through Gabriel's chest, slowly he inched toward the opening.

“Liam isn't exactly known for sticking with the same thing for long and I don't just mean relationships.” Lori paused momentarily. “What if this is simply a phase? Maybe he’s tired of dating his own age, from what he told us he fell for Gabe pretty fast, that's not something he does.”

His lungs began to constrict and a bead of sweat ran down Gabriel’s cheek but dared not move.

“True. I remember he said Bryce basically manipulated him into dating. Ugh I still want to know what he ever saw in that jerk.” Mel’s tone was one of disgust.

Lori let out a polite laugh, “Yes don't we all.” Silence fell, in the hall the professor fighting a losing battle with his nerves, figured Liam’s mother was forming her explanation carefully. “As mother I see my son who’s been hurt many times by his peers, project what he wanted onto Gabe, who’s friendly, kind, compassionate, everything Liam deserves to have in a boyfriend but happened to be older. However I’d hate to think he rushed his judgement, 16 years is quite a gap, Liam might not see it yet being he’s only 25 but it will make an impact when he’s 35 or 40. It’d be a shame if Liam does come to terms with it and decides to end the relationship. Do you know what I mean?”

“Yes,” Mel replied, “A bit. Honestly I think they’re fine.”

The shrieked of chairs moving caused the shaking professor to jump back but Melody and Lori’s voices drifted into the dining room out of earshot.

Gabriel stumbled his way to a door opening, apparently it led to the basement. He went down several steps before collapsing onto the hard linoleum trembling not only from the chill of the basement but from what he had just heard. Tears blurred his vision as he brought out his inhaler desperately needing to clear his restricted lungs. Sadly because of his shaking hands he wasn’t able to press down as swiftly, so the first gush of medicine was wasted. He took a short breath in a poor effort to calm himself and pushed again, this time the medicine filled his lungs bringing relief.

Sticking the inhaler in his pocket he then brought out his overused handkerchief wiping his eyes. He had been right, 16 years was just too many. Even Liam’s mother saw it. Gabriel had never thought of it exactly how she explained but it all made sense. Liam’s previous relationships all had been around his age range. Was this just a phase? He bent forward laying his head on his knees. But he loved Liam. Liam his light in the darkness, his satellite.

More tears fell as Gabriel shivered on the basement steps. He sat up quickly pressing his handkerchief to his nose.

Eh’tschoo!
Eh...Eh’Eeetschoo!

“Oh dear.” He said to himself. “You’re such a mess, Gabe.” He blew his nose cringing, the tender skin burned from all the attention he gave it lately.

Gabriel was not sure what he was going to do but one thing was for sure he needed to leave the basement. Climbing back up the stairs he opened the door slightly to see if anyone was coming. Slowly he retreated into the hall dodging the kitchen where he now heard his dear Liam’s voice. Gabriel heart ached as he double stepped the staircase to the second floor. Still having difficulties breathing he closed the door to the bedroom and sat on the bed head in hands.

The words he’d heard replayed in his head until a knock at the door broke his depressive state. “Gabriel? You in there?”

It was Liam, his light. “Yes dear.” Gabriel could not stop his voice from cracking; he hastily wiped away any loose tears sticking his handkerchief back in his pocket as the door opened.

“Hey I’m back did you...what’s wrong?” His partner’s ochre eyes full of worry.

“Nothing.” He lied through a forced smile.

“Gabriel Lane...” Liam folded his arms looking down at him; this forced Gabriel to look away. “You’re shivering, you’re flushed and it appears you’ve been crying.” Liam sat on the bed next to his boyfriend. “Please tell me what’s upset you.” He ran his hand over Gabriel’s back.

“N-nothing.” Gabriel stammered.

Liam exhaled sharply. “Why do you keep lying to me Gabriel Lane?” He turned facing the older man who still would not meet his gaze.

Gabriel kept his eyes on the wood floor crossing his arms over his body wishing the chill he felt would cease.

“Where’s your cardigan?” Liam stood up.

“In the closet.” His boyfriend whispered.

Liam grabbed it off the hanger draping it over Gabriel’s shoulders. “There, now talk to me.”

Drawing a quivering breath forced a harsh cough from the professor who leaned forward cupping his hands around his mouth, the fit racked his body leaving his ribs aching when he finally found air again.

Liam rubbed his ailing boyfriend's back about to speak but Gabriel’s inflamed lungs scheduled other plans. Another hard wheezing cough escaped him. Gabriel shivered leaning against Liam.

“Where’s your inhaler?” Liam asked worried Gabriel might have an asthma attack.

“Already used it.” Gabriel choked out the words. “I’m fi...”

“Don’t you even dare!” Liam jerked away from Gabriel forcing the surprised professor to steady himself against the bed. “You are sick and upset! Why can’t you just admit it?”

Seeing his love now angry at him did not help Gabriel’s predicament, fresh tears welled in his eyes he blinked hoping to clear them before Liam noticed. “Dear, I...” Sniffing hard he rubbed his nose. Liam seized the tissue box off the dresser handing it to his boyfriend. Gabriel reluctantly grabbed a few drying his puffy eyes and face. “I’m sorry, so very sorry.” Lori Black’s words echoed in his head, “I...oh Liam forgive me.”

Liam’s heart clenched watching the person he cared for the most in such obvious pain. Gently he wrapped his arm around Gabriel. “No forgive me I shouldn’t have yelled.” He nuzzled Gabriel’s cheek, “I’m so worried about you.”

Gabriel shook his head, “It’s not that dear, I...” He gripped the sides of his head in his hands. “I don’t...I mean...” He finally lost control sobbing into his pile of tissues. How could he disclose what he’d overheard downstairs?

“Come here.” Liam moved back so he was now sitting against the headboard. Gabriel positioned himself next to Liam resting his head on his partner’s chest praying the sensation of calm breathing would settle him down. The soft touch of Liam stroking his hair definitely helped.

“My dear Gabriel Lane, please know you can tell me anything.” Liam continued wishing to God that he’d keep his temper in check and not further upset Gabriel.

“I-I-I kn-n-now.” The professor stuttered gripping his partner’s warm body. A deep congested cough ripped through him again, he curled away from Liam.

“Here, I’ll find some cough medicine.” Liam shifted slowly so Gabriel would not have to move far. “Just rest I’ll take care of you.” He leaned down placing his lips gently against Gabriel’s red chapped cheeks. “I love you.”

Gabriel tried to return the sentiment as Liam left but his voice no longer worked. Even after hearing those words from his Liam, the thought of only being part of phase, that one day he’d hear he was no longer loved again, tore his heart in half.

TBC
~~~~
Author's Notes: The mention of CJ and his boss is a nod to Juto's SS gift to me What would Marie Antoinette do? :hug:

Ouch - this was rude of Liam's mother. You don't speak about a guest like this if you know they are in the house... Poor Gabe... I hope he doesn't do something really stupid just because of eavesdropping...

Ouch - this was rude of Liam's mother. You don't speak about a guest like this if you know they are in the house... Poor Gabe... I hope he doesn't do something really stupid just because of eavesdropping...

Well in her defense she did think he was upstairs plus she's more ragging on her son :P This will be address in the next chap though so no fear! ;)

Ugh found some typos will fix when later.

*takes third hit from her inhaler before breathing returns to normal after incoherent fangirl screams upon noticing upload*

WHERE TO EVEN BEGIN KAZE???!!!! Oh dear, so much to address!! I'll try to remember it all!!

The card face featured a picture of a small two-tier decorated cake with a piece missing and no text. Gabriel raised an eyebrow at Liam who remained quiet. The inside showed the piece sitting on a plate. When in doubt serve the cake was the writing.

Gabriel chuckled, How very Marie Antoinette of you.

Maybe CJ is rubbing off on me. Liam quipped.

Better him than his boss. Gabriel muttered causing Liam to laugh. What's this? The professor pulled out a slip of paper marked coupon.

Oh gosh how delightful!!! My curator and his shy assistant making a cameo in LIBRIEL!! What more could a mansion mate want? AND YOU DIDN'T SAY A WORD YOU SNEAKY SCRIBBLER!!!!! :heart: I love it! (Though, ahem, truth be told, dear Marie's cake would have been no less than 6 tiers ;) )

No worries dear, took a bad breath is all. The older man stepped past him palming the stair rail. Do I still get to indulge in your cooking? He smiled up at Liam who remained by the door hiding his balled fists behind his back so his boyfriend wouldn't notice.

Smooth cutiefessor... Really smooth! Compliment on partner's cooking to wave off illness... Tsk tsk tsk...

Ok dear. Gabriels voice caked with congestion. Here. He grabbed his own scarf wrapping it snuggly around his partners neck. Stay warm please. Gabriels hand caressed Liams cheek slowly. The couple leaned in, Liams eyes fluttered as he felt his boyfriend's warm breath in his ear along with his gentle strumming of fingers along his back. At that moment he did not want to move or even breathe. The weight of the past few days melted, all he felt radiating from his lovers body was genuine affection even in his soft touch. Liam wanted nothing more than to bottle this moment forever, sadly hed promised his mom.

*system failure* - *system failure*

*dangerous heart swelling* - *probability of dying of cute 1/1*

d'AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Coming. Liam's mom replied. Turning she locked eyes with Gabriel, There's cold medicine in the upstairs bathroom. Adding a smile she proceeded back to the kitchen.

Gabriel Herondale was never one to turn down motherly advice especially now having found surprisingly ally in Liams mother. A quick dash up the stairs into the main bathroom he flung open the medicine cabinet. A box of medicine rested on the bottom shelf. Removing the pallet of pills he broke off two pocketing them for later use.

EEEEHHHH... SURPRISING ALLIES ARE THE BEST!!!!! Especially if they have medicine :lol:

But he loved Liam. Liam his light in the darkness, his satellite

Aaaawwwwwwwwwwww :cry: no no no no no!!!! It's not just a phase Gabriel... HE LOVES YOU!!!!!!!! Argh! I think I ripped my stitches! My patched up heart hasn't been the same since MC... Wait, whose fault was that? Oh right... *scowls at Kaze*

Here, Ill find some cough medicine. Liam shifted slowly so Gabriel would not have to move far. Just rest Ill take care of you. He leaned down placing his lips gently against Gabriels red chapped cheeks. I love you.

Gabriel tried to return the sentiment as Liam left but his voice no longer worked. Even after hearing those words from his Liam, the thought of only being part of phase, that one day hed hear he was no longer loved again, tore his heart in half.

*wails indiscreetly* EVERYTHING WAS ALRIGHT AFTER MORNING COFFEE... WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PULL THIS ON POOR FESSOR.??

Ahhh the pain... Such sweet pain! But I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!!!!

MY HEART!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!! (also, nice little note to "What Would Marie Antoinette Do?")

Archived