"Something Deeper" HP fic M - (4 Parts)

Jorm

Title: Something Deeper

Authors: Aljana &DreamShadow

Fandom: Harry Potter

Rating: PG 13

Pairing: Snape/Aleris

Spoilers: Books 1-6 Takes place during book 6

Disclaimer: We own nothing but the character Aleris, so please don’t sue!

Summery: A new year at Hogwarts brings yet another new Dark Arts professor who soon rekindles an old friendship with Snape into something new and deeper. Snape's work for the Order of the Phoenix is soon taking its toll on the man and Aleris is there to care for him.

Authors Note: This is the first time co-writing a fic for both of us and I think we’ve had far too much fun doing it! We decided to try it because we discovered that we have eerily similar tastes in fetish fiction, such as our bizarre infatuation of Severus Snape, and our love of seeing him in sneezy slash fics! So we very much hope you enjoy reading this as much as we have enjoyed writing it! It is still a work in progress, but we decided to start posting the beginning anyway because one of us (raises hand lamely) has no patients and couldn’t wait for feedback, so please give some! Good or bad, anything is very much appreciated! And now! Without further ado, we give you;

Something Deeper

Aleris Ashtriel shrugged out of his quidditch robes in the locker rooms. “Nice practice, a couple more like that and we’ll trounce Hufflepuff in the first match,” called out Antony, Ravenclaw’s captain. “And Ash, if you keep on the Bludgers like you did today, their team won’t be left on their brooms.” Aleris blushed slightly, “Yeah, sure, but I expect you to hold up your end. I mean I’m just a beater, you being the keeper have to protect our goal.” “Whoa, Don’t go worrying about that, I got it covered! And Casey and Regina will be scoring goals left and right.” “You better believe it!” chimed in Casey. Aleris gathered up his gear. “I’ve got homework, I’ll see you all later.”

Aleris headed off across the grassy expanse to the castle. As he rounded the corner he heard a commotion. He paused to take in the scene in front of him. It was a group of students from the year under him. James Potter and Sirius Black stood in duel position with wands up. Remus Lupin appeared to be looking on rather ambivalently, while Peter Pettigrew was excitedly egging them on. The target of their attention was once again the slightly shabby and disheveled Severus Snape. They appeared to have him frozen in place except for the fact that he was sneezing uncontrollably.

“What was that Snivellus? Didn’t quite catch what you said,” sneered Sirius. “Oh, do you think he was trying to say something? I couldn’t tell through all that sniveling and sneezing,” answered James. “Oh, this is a good one guys. Maybe you could turn him upside down too? That would be funny, to watch him try and sneeze upside down, huh?” piped up Peter.

They seemed to be considering this prospect when Aleris strode forward. “Alright, that’s enough. Let him go.” “Why should we?” huffed Sirius. “I’ve told you before, because I’m a Prefect, and I’m older than you. Now let him go and bugger off.” Sirius looked at James and they waved their wands and the group fled to the castle. Aleris turned his attention to Severus.

“Are you all right?” Aleris asked gently. “I’b fide. Hetschooo! Thanks,” he answered, a deep blush creeping onto his pallid features. “Here take this,” Aleris handed the other boy a clean white handkerchief from his pocket. Blushing again he took it and blew his nose. They walked slowly together towards the castle. “So why were they after you this time?” Aleris asked curiously. Severus’ expression went icy, “I was, they were, it’s complicated.” “I would steer clear of them if I were you.” Aleris cautioned. “I can take care of myself.” Severus snapped. Aleris grinned thinking of the situation he’d just retrieved the boy from. “I know you can. Your skills are not in question, only you do seem to get yourself into situations.” Before he could respond Aleris continued, “So how are your classes going?” “They’re easy. Especially Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts.” They walked up the steps and into the school together.

It was this encounter that Aleris Ashtriel remembered as he stood on the steps of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. He had been hired as Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts. So now he was back at the scene of so many memories of childhood. Including those of Severus Snape, a rather unkempt and unpopular boy who was forever getting into scraps with the boys from Gryffindor House. What did they call themselves, oh yes, the marauders. Aleris had rescued him on a few such occasions. The boy had fight in him, and he was quite brilliant. He’d gotten his own revenge on the boys well enough a time or two. Now Severus was Potions Master at Hogwarts and Aleris would be seeing him again after all these years. Shaking off the memories he strode up the steps.

Severus Snape ran a hand distractedly through his silky black hair for what must have been the umpteenth time that morning and sighed. He was never going to get anywhere on this potion as long as his mind kept wandering to thoughts of a certain sandy haired Quidditch player whom he hadn’t seen in nearly twenty years. With another rather dejected sigh, he pointed his wand at the cauldron and muttered “Evanesco!” The half finished potion vanished instantly.

What the hell was wrong with him, Snape wondered. After all it wasn’t as if anything happened between the two of them, and there had never really been any indication that Aleris Ashtriel had ever felt the same about Snape as Snape had about him.

And why should he have, Snape thought with disgust. Aleris had been popular, smart, athletic, a prefect, and Beater for the Ravenclaw Quidditch team. In short, he had been everything that Snape, a scrawny, depressed, misfit, hadn’t been.

True, Aleris had defended him several times from the “Almighty” Potter and his idiot friends, but that didn’t mean that he had actually liked Snape. More likely he had some sort of hero complex and felt the need to rescue anyone who was in even the slightest bit of trouble.

…. Maybe he needed a nap, Snape thought. He hadn’t been sleeping very well lately, not that that was unusual, but it had been worse than normal lately and perhaps that was why he was having so much trouble concentrating. But before he had time to make up his mind to go and lie down, there was a soft knock on his office door and Dumbledore entered smiling broadly.

“Come up stairs and say ‘hello’ to our newest professor, Severus.” He said, “He’s just arrived.”

Snape swallowed hard, he wasn’t at all sure he was ready for this, he was suddenly feeling like that scrawny, friendless teenager again. But he figured he might as well get it over with, after all, there was no way he could avoid the man forever if they where living and working in the same building, they’d run into each other eventually. He nodded wordlessly to Dumbledore and followed him out of the office and up to the entrance hall where he froze practically in mid-step.

Aleris was, if it was possible, even more attractive than he had been when they where students. Unlike Ludo Bagman, Aleris had definitely not gone to seed. He was tall and though he was not overly muscular, it was clear that his Navy robes covered a very athletically built body. His sandy blonde hair stood up in short spikes just the way it had twenty years ago. Snape swallowed again, it was all he could do, how, he wondered, could anyone possibly be so damn attractive.

“Aleris,” Dumbledore said striding forward. “Welcome! I believe you and Severus were at school here together, were you not? At any rate he is now our Potions Master and the very formidable Head of Slytherin House.” A smile twitched at the corner of the Headmasters mouth as he turned to face Snape. “Aleris will be taking over the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher as the unfortunate Deloris Umbridge is currently too afraid of being carried off by centaurs in the middle of the night to return to the castle.”

Dumbledore didn’t sound particularly upset about this, Snape noticed, and couldn’t help but smile slightly at the thought of Umbridge being carried off by a pack of angry centaurs.

Aleris had paused upon entering the castle, momentarily unsure of what to do, when he saw Dumbledore approaching. “Aleris, Welcome. I believe you and Severus were at school together, were you not?” It was then that Aleris caught sight of the figure behind Dumbledore. He was stunned by what he saw. The man in front of him was no longer the scrawny, disheveled boy, but a dark, brooding as Dumbledore was just putting it - formidable figure. Rumor had it he had served the Dark Lord before switching his loyalties to Dumbledore. Was it this or something else that gave him that dangerous edge that seemed to be lurking just below the surface? Whatever it was, it was severely sexy.

Aleris tuned back into what was being said just in time to hear something about Umbridge and a pack of centaurs. “Quite right. I was all too happy to leave the Ministry and join Dumbledore given recent circumstances.” Aleris spoke casually but he couldn’t take his eyes from Snape’s icy glare. There was something mesmerizing about it. Dumbledore’s eyes glittered as he backed away arms outstretched to both of them. “Your quarters are located on the seventh floor. I’ll just let Severus show you up and let the two of you get reacquainted. I’m sure you’ll be fast friends in no time.” With that sentiment he turned and retreated in the direction of his own office.

The two men stood looking at each other for a moment before Snape spoke. “Well, come on then.” Although his tone was abrupt as he turned with a flourish of sleek black robes and began to head off down the corridor, his voice was like silk that sent a shiver down Aleris’ spine. He hurried to catch up with the other man. “So, how long have you been here, it must be nearly 15 years since, well…” his question trailed off.

Dark eyes turned sharply towards him, “I’ve been here long enough for Dumbledore and myself to have an understanding.” Turning away again he quickened his step.

Aleris sighed. Things were not off to a good start. He once again hurried to catch up. “Look, Severus, I didn’t mean to imply anything. I realize we haven’t seen each other in twenty years but we used to get along all right. I was rather hoping we could at least be friends.” There, he’d said it. Well, maybe not all of what he felt, but it was a start, wasn’t it? They were on the seventh floor now. He watched as Snape’s steps slowed, but the man’s face was unreadable. He was like a closed book.

“It’s been a long time since we were in school together, and we weren‘t exactly best mates.” He spoke in a cold tone.

They continued down the corridor in silence until Snape paused outside a set of rooms. “Here are your rooms. I’ll just leave you to settle in.” He turned to go, but Aleris put out a hand impulsively reaching for the other man’s arm.

“Would you like to have a cup of tea with me? I’m sure I could conjure some up.” Aleris said this with a rueful smile, hoping the man would accept because for some reason he couldn’t bear to see him walk away after only seeing him for such a small space of time.

Snape flinched at Aleris' touch, unable to stop the now almost automatic response to any physical contact. Aleris quickly took his hand away, blushing slightly.

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to - “ But Snape curtly cut him off.

“It's fine. I suppose I have a few minutes to spare as I still have several days to prepare for classes.” And with that he stalked into Aleris' rooms which was bare accept for a number of boxes containing his belongings that had been sent ahead for him from Hogsmeade Station. Taking a deep breath Aleris followed him, this was definitely not going as well as he'd hoped. Snape seemed determined to not like him for some reason.

“So…” he said uneasily as he began hunting for his teakettle among the many boxes. He was rather at a loss for what to say given the man’s attitude and curt answers so far. Perhaps if he steered the conversation away from Snape, he could get the man to relax a bit. “Well, this will certainly be a welcome change from what I have been doing the past few years. And I can’t say I won’t be glad to see the back of the Ministry. What with all their recent political blunders and such. Ah, here we are.” This last was said as he finally came up with his copper teakettle from the bottom of a box filled with books and papers.

Snape looked at him incredulously. “Political blunders? The Ministry? You think denying the fact that the Dark Lord had returned was a political blunder?”

Aleris grinned as he put the tea on. Well, at least he had the man talking now. “I was trying to be polite. I did work for them after all.”

Snape threw up his hands dramatically. “Sod politeness and to Hell with the Ministry. They’ve made a complete shambles of things. If it weren’t for Dumbledore…”

Aleris managed to sort out a couple of teacups from his belongings and handed one to Snape. Now things seemed to be getting onto a better track. “I quite agree with you. That’s why I jumped at the chance to come here when Dumbledore offered me the position. I also thought it would be nice to come back to the place where I spent so much of my time growing up. Even seeing people I knew from back then. It has been a long time, Severus. You know I’ve often wondered about you over the years.”

Snape blinked in surprise, completely unsure of how to respond to this. The honest answer was that he had thought about Aleris as well, when he hadn’t been too busy thinking about, well, things he most definitely did not want to think about now. But something, fear perhaps? Kept him from saying so. Instead he chose to stay with the least personal conversation piece available.

“You may not be so excited about your new job for very long.” He said, completely side stepping the issue. “Rumor is the Defense Against the Dark Arts job is cursed. The last five people to hold the post have ended up dead, incredibly mentally sub-par, well he was to begin with, sacked,” A rather cruel smile flitted at the corner of his mouth for a second. “Trapped in a trunk for the entire year, and emotionally traumatized. In that order.” He took a sip of his tea and allowed himself a small smile. “I hope you’re not superstitious Aleris, because if you are, you’ll probably just end up terrifying yourself out of the job.”

Aleris stared at Snape in astonishment. “That’s quite a record! I hope I can live up to it.” He added with a wry smile. Snape gave a small snort that could have been any number of things including both laughter and disgust, it was impossible to tell.

“That’s hardly a record I would aspire to if I were you. Although with your talents, professional Quidditch player turned Auror, I shouldn’t think you’d have any trouble dealing with a few dozen obnoxious brats.” Snape said this in a queer sort of tone, as if presenting Aleris with a challenge. Setting his cup on the floor he continued, “I really must be going, I was in the middle of a complicated potion when you arrived.”

Following the man to the door Aleris said, “Well, then I guess I’ll be seeing you around.” He mentally kicked himself for the lameness of that comment. Snape turned at the door with a smirk on his face, “I’m sure we will, as we live and work together now.” Aleris watched the man’s billowing robes as he strode back down the hall, then he retreated back into his rooms and looked forlornly at his boxes.

“Well, I’d best get on with it,” Aleris muttered to himself taking out his wand. He set an organizational charm to putting away his personal belongings while he set to work arranging his books and papers in his office. Well, things had not gone precisely as he had planned, or hoped, with Severus. He wondered what had made the man so prickly. Surely he’d never done anything to provoke the man. They’d always gotten on rather well, even if due to class differences and peer pressure he’d never actually been friends with him as a boy. Surely he couldn’t hold that against him now? Perhaps it was something else, after all, he hadn’t seen the man in twenty years. What had Dumbledore called him, oh yes, formidable. So maybe his attitude towards Aleris was just part of his normal personality? If so it would complicate things a bit. How on earth would he get such a cold, unapproachable, and aloof man to open up to him?

Because that’s what he wanted, despite the man’s attitude towards him, he had fallen for him the instant he’d laid eyes on him. Those dark, brooding eyes. That dark, silky hair. Then he’d spoken. A voice like silk, that made him weak in the knees. And perhaps the attitude added to the sense of dark mystery that seemed to surround him and gave him a sort of untouchable air that made Aleris want to touch him even more.

Well, he would just have to come up with some excuse to go see the man. He was the Potions Master. There had to be some kind of potion Aleris would be in need of. Well, he’d be seeing him around the castle at any rate, as the other man had pointed out to Aleris’ embarrassment. Dumbledore had also reminded him that the staff were to have their meals together at the head table. So there was that. For now he’d best finish putting together his rooms and get ready for evening meal. He looked around his rooms which were starting to look habitable and it occurred to him that he ought to get a cat. He’d enjoy the company now that he was going to be living and working someplace where he’d actually be spending time, as opposed to his previous residences.

Despite what he had said to Aleris about being in the middle of brewing a potion, Snape did not return to the dungeon, but decided to go for a walk instead. The sun was just beginning to sink behind the stands of the Quidditch pitch casting a bloody glow over the empty castle grounds. He wandered aimlessly for a few minutes before heading down toward the lake, a place that for some reason had always made him feel strangely at peace with the world. He had spent many a quiet afternoon there as a student, reading, or merely watching the rippling surface of the water as the giant squid swam gracefully across it. Of course, he thought with a grimace, those times had usually been harshly interrupted by Potter and his gang hanging him upside down by his ankle or dropping a box of flesh eating slugs on him from their hidden perch in a tree. He glared up a the large willow tree he had just reached, then sighed and sat down with his back against it, staring out across the still and silent lake.

So Aleris was back. And from the sound of things he had actually missed Snape. Was it possible, he wondered? Was it possible that the smart and popular Aleris Ashtriel had…? No, that was ridiculous. A handsome and talented Quidditch player fall in love with a scrawny, Dark Arts obsessed misfit? He doubted it was possible, and he wasn't about to get his hopes up, he knew better. Too many times he had thought things where about to get better only to find himself, more depressed and alone then ever. With a look of disgust, he tossed a small stone he had been toying with out into the lake where it sank with a soft “plop”, which was immediately answered by a larger splash from one of the giant squid's tentacles. Aleris was probably just being polite, he decided. He always had been overly so, even as a teenager. With another sigh and a glance at the now almost vanished sun, he rose slowly to his feet, dinner must be nearly ready by now. With one last glance at the now gently rippling water of the lake, he turned and headed back for the castle, now only a dark silhouette against a rapidly darkening sky.

Oooooo!!!! Am Totally loving it. I like the background info. and the interaction between these two. Fit with my image of Snape (up through #5).

Ooooh :D Six kinds of sexy, I say! I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but Snape is all about some RAWR, and this looks like an absolutely delightful pairing so far, not forced or out of character like so many OC's I see people trying to match him with.

Delicious work! Can't wait for more :D

Eeeeee!!! They like it! They like it!! We're having so much fun, better get cracking on the ending! *Slinks off to continue the torment*

Aljana

I agree with Garnet. I'm not a huge HP fan, but I absolutly love this one so far! Please contine it! :D Snape needs more sneezy torture! :D

Something Deeper part 2

Classes had been in session for a few weeks and Aleris had come to find out that although the Headmaster’s description of Snape as the “very formidable Head of Slytherin House” was quite apt, a more truthful description would have been as the terror of the school. First years nearly wet themselves at the sight of him and even the seventh years showed him more respect than any of the other teachers apart from Dumbledore.

Despite this fierce attitude Aleris had managed to develop a working relationship with the man, in part due to some advice from Minerva McGonagall who had told him not to take Snape’s moods too seriously, they were just part of who the man was. In fact most of the staff seemed to genuinely like Snape and shrugged off his rudeness and surliness as part of the package.

It was Friday afternoon and classes were done for day. He had the whole weekend to look forward to and no plans. He really ought to do something about Snape. He looked around his office and noticed that his few plants were looking seriously neglected. They weren’t really so far gone as to need a regeneration potion, a trip to Professor Sprout should perk them right up. But then he couldn’t really think of a better excuse to go see Snape, so regeneration potion it would be. Getting up from his desk he headed down to the dungeons.

As he expected Snape was in his office. He knocked lightly on the door. Snape looked up before saying, “Oh, it’s you. Come in, Aleris. I expected it to be some pathetic student needing help with the homework.”

Aleris smiled as he entered the room and took a seat across the desk from Snape. He often wondered why the man was teaching when he seemed to dislike the students so much. “No, it’s just pathetic me, needing help with my poor plants. It seems I’ve neglected them for too long. I was wondering if you had any regeneration potion?”

Snape gave him an odd look as if guessing the story was only an excuse before answering, “I’m afraid I haven’t got any, although I could make some up for you, if you’re sure it’s necessary. Have you seen Professor Sprout? Personally, I don’t keep plants, they don’t seem to like the dungeons for some reason.”

“Oh, no, don’t go to any trouble on my account. I’ll just go see Professor Sprout. Perhaps she can do something for them. I don’t suppose they would like the dungeons. Pity, they would add a nice touch.” Aleris paused in his banter, looking about the office. Then taking a deep breath he looked directly at Snape, “Severus, I don’t suppose you would come have a drink with me later, after dinner?”

Snape looked completely shocked. There was total silence for a moment before he spoke, “Alright, Aleris. I’ll have a drink with you.”

The blood rushed through Aleris’ veins. He had said yes! High as a kite now Aleris rose from his chair, “I’ll see you later then.” He couldn’t keep the grin off his face as he made his way to the door.

“Right. Later, then.” Snape answered, still looking shocked.

Snape spent the rest of the afternoon pacing his office and trying to figure out what the bloody hell was going on here. He refused to believe that Aleris was genuinely interested in him. It was too ridiculous and idea to even consider, and yet… No, he told himself forcefully, you've fallen into traps like this too many times before, you must not let this get to you!

Nonetheless, he became more and more agitated as the afternoon went on. Though this was in part due not to his meeting with Aleris that evening, but the fact that the Dark Mark on his left forearm began to tingle around three-thirty and by the time he was expected in the Great Hall for dinner, had built to a moderate burning sensation. The Dark Lord was clearly planning something, and from the feel of it, something he was going to call on his Death Eaters to be involved with. He actually considered using this as an excuse to avoid having a drink with Aleris, but quickly discarded the idea as it made him appear too much of a coward. Severus Snape was not one to admit that he was nervous about having a drink with a man no matter how incredibly attractive he might find them.

Dinner was the usual dull affair, though he did have to explain away the pained expression on his face, which Professor Flitwick noticed, as being due to a slight headache. When Aleris stood at the end of the meal and headed out, Snape took a deep breath and followed a minute later, stopping off back in the dungeons to grab a bottle of Fire Whisky someone had giving him for, actually he couldn't remember what for, it had been lying in his desk for ages. He then made his way up to Aleris office, taking out some of his nerves on the way by yelling at a third year who was attempting to turn her friends hair purple, with an undoubtedly fake spell someone had taught her, and with one last deep breath and a slight wince as the pain of the Dark Mark increased slightly, he knocked.

As dinner was winding down Aleris got up from the table making his excuses about calling it an early night and made his way up to his rooms. From the look on Snape’s face when he had asked him to come for a drink the man still had no idea what to expect. Well then he’d best make his intentions a little more clear. He surveyed the room, which in the past few weeks he’d managed to turn from empty and utilitarian into a warm and comfortable living space. First he got the fire going in the large stone fireplace. Then he lit the many candles he had scattered on various shelves and side tables around the room. Dimming the main light he was rather pleased at the overall effect, a sort of romantic glow infused the space. He was just taking a moment to fluff the pillows on his antique sofa when he heard a knock at the door.

Aleris let Snape in watching carefully for the man’s reactions. He seemed to be momentarily flustered but quickly covered it by striding further into the room and making a perfunctory inspection of his surroundings. “Good evening, Aleris. I see you’ve gotten settled.” He walked thoughtfully to the far corner to take a closer look at the mahogany drop lid desk Aleris had situated there. “This is a fine piece, French Empire, is it?” he asked running his hands over the graceful curvature of the front. He then fumbled hastily in his robes for his handkerchief and stifled three quick, harsh sneezes. “Hhsssttt! Hi-isshhtt! Hhsmmph!”

Aleris came over to join the man with a look of surprise. “Blessings. It is actually. You know antiques?”

Snape turned to face Aleris with a wistful smile. “Only a passing knowledge. Oh, and I brought this,” Snape said, holding out the bottle of Fire Whiskey he seemed to suddenly have remembered he was holding.

Aleris took the bottle and examining it commented, “This is a fine age. Must have cost you a bundle.” He headed over to the buffet positioned under the windows and opened the bottle and poured himself and Snape a glass of the glowing liquid. He started to hand the glass to Snape but paused as the man brought the handkerchief back up to his face. “Hhssmph! Hhppssh! Hhsshmmph!” Aleris watched as Snape looked around, eyes settling on the black and white longhaired cat lurking just below the buffet.

Snape took the glass as he explained, “Someone gave it to me as a gift for, something. I didn‘t know you had a cat.” Then he took a long swallow of the brew with eyes closed.

Aleris watched Snape with fascination then followed suit. “This is very good. You should thank whoever gave it to you. That’s Sondrogor, Sonny for short. I just got him. I’m sorry, you’re not allergic are you?”

Snape looked decidedly uncomfortable with the question. “No, I just,” But whatever it was got cut off as he was overcome with another set of sneezes, these a little more desperate. “Hhiissmmph! Hiissshhhttt! Hhssshhmmph!”

“Right, I’ll just put him in the bedroom.“ Aleris gathered up the cat and dropped him in the other room. Returning to the living room he made a quick gesture with his wand and muttered, “Scourgify.” There were definitely benefits to being a wizard, say when you find the man you’re trying to seduce is allergic to your cat. At least with a wave of the wand you can rid the place of the cat hair. “Here let me top off your glass then we can have a seat and, talk.” He did that and led Snape over to the sofa. “So how are your classes going? I can’t help having noticed that you certainly have a way with the students.”

Snape snorted and took a drink before answering. “The students need to have a respect for authority. They’re usually up to no good and I don’t let them get away with it, so they may not like me. I don’t particularly care, I’m not their friend, I’m their teacher.”

Aleris looked at Snape with interest. “You seem to expect an awful lot from them. They are only children after all, Severus.”

“It’s time for them to grow up. The world is a rough place, and they’ll be expected to act as adults when they leave here. I expect them to start thinking that way.” Snape informed him in a deadly serious tone.

Aleris watched the man wince in pain before taking another long drink of Fire Whiskey. “Are you alright, Severus? Can I get you another drink?”

Snape reached a hand up to his temple, “I’m fine, just a headache. Another drink would be nice though.”

Aleris refilled their drinks, his own hardly touched, and returned to the sofa. They carried on in some more meaningless conversation for a bit but Aleris couldn’t help noticing Snape wincing every so often. After a time he noticed Snape had started to rub his left forearm unconsciously, and he couldn’t let it go any further. “Are you sure you’re alright? Because you look like you’re in pain, and the way you’ve been drinking you’d better have a hangover potion or you’ll be sorry tomorrow.”

Snape looked surprised. “I’m fine. I told you it’s just a bit of a headache.”

Aleris gave him a soft smile, trying to look as unthreatening as possible. He was taking a risk here, venturing into dangerous territory. “Really, because I don’t believe you. I’ve noticed you rubbing at your left arm. I was an Auror, you know. I think it’s the Dark Mark that’s bothering you.” Then he held his breath for Snape’s reaction.

First shock then rage passed over the man’s features. What came out was, “I’m a spy. For Dumbledore. I report what the Dark Lord is up to. It means that I’m still in his circle and subject to his whim. He’s planning something for us Death Eater’s to do, I can feel it.”

Aleris was stunned. Both by the weight of this news and by the fact that Snape had trusted him with it. “That must be terribly difficult, playing both sides. How often do you have to go? Who else knows about it?”

Snape sank back into the couch as if a terrible burden had been lifted. “He calls us a few nights a week. He thinks I’m his spy here so he doesn’t call me during the day. The other members of the Order of the Phoenix know some of what I’m doing. I think only Dumbledore has the full picture of things. As for being difficult it’s my burden to bear. I’m the only one who can do this.”

Aleris moved closer on the sofa and put an arm around Snape. “It’s not only your burden now. Let me share it with you.” He stared deeply into Snape’s dark eyes looking for consent. Then he leaned down and kissed him lightly on the mouth. The kiss deepened and lasted what seemed like an eternity but was only seconds and he pulled away.

They looked at each other for a long moment before Snape murmured breathily, “I should be going. It’s late.” He didn’t move for another moment but finally got up and quickly crossed to the door. “Good night, Aleris.”

Aleris smiled warmly at him from the sofa. “Good night, Severus. Sleep well. I’ll see you later.”

Snape paused at the door and looked at Aleris with a rather odd _expression for a moment before he spoke.

“I appreciate the sentiment.” He said wryly, “But I don't expect to get much sleep of any kind tonight.” He raised his left arm, allowing the loose sleeve of his robe to drop, revealing the hideous image of a snake protruding from a skull that adorned his forearm.

“The Dark Lord feels that sleep is not particularly necessary, and certainly not useful or helpful. It is far more likely that I will find myself performing some hideous task for him.” He finished with disgust and before Aleris could respond he had disappeared with a swish of black robes closing the door behind him.

Out in the corridor Snape headed directly to the nearest bathroom where he splashed cold water on both his face and the dark mark, which now felt as though someone was holding a hot branding iron to it. There was no way he could deny Aleris' intentions any longer, not after that kiss… that kiss. Snape hadn't had a kiss like that in years. Who was he kidding? He thought with a sudden sigh, he hadn't had a kiss of any kind in years. So now the question was why. What did Aleris see in him? And more importantly would continue to see when he got to know Snape better. Then there was also the issue of how was Snape supposed to respond to this encounter. He had very little experience in the area of relationships. He had had a short affair with Belatrix Lestrange before deciding that he had no interest in women whatsoever. Although, he reflected, that could very easily be because Belatrix was the only woman he had ever had a relationship with and she was not the most agreeable person in the world, after all. Then there had been Lucius Malfoy, a relationship that had ended in utter disaster. That pretty much summed up Snape's foray into the world of romance. Not very impressive. Aleris on the other hand he guessed must have plenty of experience, as handsome and popular as he had been at school, how could he not? With a sigh Snape looked up at himself in the mirror and saw to his surprise that there were tears in his eyes. He pushed himself away from the sink in disgust and stalked out of the bathroom, heading back to the dungeons where he hoped he would have at least a little time to prepare for whatever Lord Voldemort had in store for that night.

As Aleris readied himself for bed he thought of their evening together. One thing was certain, he’d landed in deep water when he’d fallen for this man. Dumbledore’s spy against the Dark Lord. No wonder the man was so hostile and edgy. It was also clear that he would need to tread carefully with him, as he was not used to kind and caring treatment. Yes, it would be a challenging relationship. But they’d made a start tonight. And he’d found out that Snape did at least return his feelings. Aleris stroked Sonny as he got into bed. “We’ll just have to keep you out the way. No offense, old boy, but it might put a cramp in my style. I’m not really sure he’d be into the whole sneezing his head off while trying to kiss me bit.” He smiled ruefully as he ruffled the cat’s fur.

TBC...

Yay! Another Snape fic!!! :huh:

This fic is so cute. It is very well written, and I am immensely glad that the both of you teamed up to write together.

Personally, I loved the part where Snape is asked about having allergies and he tries to deny it.

I will be anxiously awaiting the next chapter!

Am continuing to love this. I love the tenitiveness and the way that this feels Real.

Oh.... and the trying to deny the allergies. hehehe

Very nice. Looking forward to more!

Over the next few weeks the other occupants of the castle noticed a change in the two men as the relationship went on. Aleris was positively jovial. He didn't hesitate to give out House points to students for all sorts of trivial deeds. It was practically impossible to upset the man. As for Snape, he was just as formidable and merciless as always. He deducted House points and handed out detentions with a vengeance. Only now he seemed quite happy about it all.

Snape and Aleris met more and more frequently. In their free time during the school day they would meet in each other's offices or go for walks around the grounds on nice days or through the castle on rainy days. They spent as many evenings and weekends together as they were allowed due to Snape's frequent work for the Order with the Dark Lord. Their relationship progressed from a deepening friendship and into something more. They even agreed to spend Halloween together, just the two of them. Unfortunately, about an hour before Snape had said he would come up to Aleris' rooms, the Dark Mark burned white hot, causing him to gasp in pain. Thankfully he was alone in his office, so there was no one to see this unusual display of weakness. Voldemort had been calling on him more and more frequently of late, and now, of all nights, he wanted something from him tonight, and he obviously wanted it immediately. When the pain had lessened enough for him to breath Snape hurriedly grabbed his cloak and almost ran up to Aleris' office, knowing that if he took too long the mark would burn again, even worse then the first time.

The desperate sounding knocking, brought Aleris to his door quite quickly.

"Snape!" he said in confusion, we weren't going to meet until... But his voice died,

Snape's face was pale, his eyes desperate, almost wild.

"What is it? What's wrong?" he asked quickly.

"The Dark Lord, he wants me. I have to go Aleris, I'm sorry. I'll be back as soon as I can I promise."

"But -" Aleris began, but Snape was already sprinting back down the corridor, pulling his cloak on as he went. Aleris stared after him in shocked silence for a moment before going back into his office, still too surprised too really know what to think.

Snape finally managed to drag himself back to the castle sometime around three in the morning. He had spent hours roaming around the country with a group of other Death Eaters "celebrating" the holiday in a typical gruesome fashion. All of his muscles ached and he had gotten a nasty cut over his left eye. But what was worst of all where the visions that hung just behind his eyes off all the disgustingly, criminal things he had done that night. All he wanted to do was crawl into bed and forget, but he had promised Aleris that they would celebrate Halloween together. So with a heavy sigh, he dragged himself stiffly up the many sets of stairs to Aleris' office on the seventh floor and knocked.

Aleris paced back and forth in front of the fireplace in his living room clenching and unclenching his fists. He glanced up at the clock to see it strike 3 am. It wasn't just the fact that they had agreed to spend Halloween together and he had spent time arranging a nice quiet evening and then Snape had gone gallivanting off on Order business, Again, that had Aleris so angry with the man. Truth be told, he was worried. Not that something had happened tonight, no, he was sure Snape was just thoughtlessly late. He was worried because he could see the strain all these missions, mostly nocturnal and in addition to his regular duties at Hogwarts, were causing in his friend. They were wearing him out. As invincible as Snape would have everyone believe him to be, he was only a man. Aleris knew from his years of Quidditch that nasty things could happen when one isn't at one's best, and this war was much more serious than a game of Quidditch.

He was still brooding upon these points when there was a knock on his door. He went to it and opened it to Snape who came into the living the room. "Bloody Hell, Severus. Do you know what time it is? Did you forget we had plans? Where have you been?"

Snape sighed. "Aleris, the holiday had the Death Eaters running amok in London. It was important for me to be there. I thought I would be back earlier. And if I had forgotten about our plans would I have tramped up seven flights of stairs when I would much have preferred to just collapse into my own bed in my current condition? I'm - sorry."

Aleris instantly softened. An apology from Snape? He must be a state. And he really did look awful. Exhaustion showed on his face as well as a large gash over his eye. "Listen. Severus, Dumbledore knows where your loyalties lie. You don't have to keep trying to prove it to him. So slow down, ease up, before you burn yourself out. Or get yourself killed." This last was added as he crossed the room to his companion and ran a hand over the newly acquired cut.

Snape winced as Aleris' fingers touched the open wound and he pulled away slightly, scowling.

"It's not Dumbledore I'm trying to "prove myself" to." He snapped, then seeing the hurt look on Aleris' face he sighed.

"I'm sorry, forget it." He muttered. "I know Dumbledore trusts me, who knows why, but he does. The Dark Lord on the other hand does not. He trusts no one, and those who have strayed from him even less. And I strayed in the worst way possible, I went to work for Dumbledore, the one man he has ever really feared and the one he hates the most."

He sighed again and slumped into a chair, letting his head fall back and closing his eyes at last.

"It's going to take much more than just spending the occasional night out torturing half-bloods and Muggles to get him anywhere near trusting me." He finished with exhausted disgust.

Aleris joined Snape, sitting on the arm of his chair and draping an arm around the other man's shoulders. "I know what you're doing is important. You have my full support. I just worry about you. You can't carry on like this forever."

Snape shifted closer into Aleris' embrace. "I'm fine, Aleris. And the point of my doing this is so it won't go on forever. We will bring an end to this madness." The two men sat there in silence for a time just holding each other.

The warmth from Aleris' fire mixed with Snape's exhaustion quickly began to lull him to sleep and his head rolled gently to the side, resting against Aleris' shoulder. Aleris smiled at how peaceful Snape looked like this, all of the usual hardness in his features melted away in sleep. He hated to wake him, but he didn't think he could remain in this position all night. With a sigh, he gently shook Snape's shoulder.

"Severus. ... Sev, wake up."

Snape gave a soft moan and opened his eyes, then realizing he had fallen asleep, quickly sat up. "Aleris, I - I think we're going to have to do this another night. I don't think I'll be able to stay awake for anything tonight." Though he didn't actually say he was sorry, the apology was clear in his voice and he found himself unable to meet Aleris' eyes.

"I can tell." Aleris replied, smiling. "Come on, why don't spend the rest of the night on the couch here? You look as though you might not even make it down to your rooms without falling asleep in the middle of some deserted corridor."

Snape hesitated for only a second before agreeing to this and while Aleris went to find a spare blanket for him he kicked of his shoes and collapsed onto the couch. When Aleris returned with the blanket, he found Snape already fast asleep. With a slightly sad smile he tossed the blanket over the sleeping man and after a pause, unable to restrain himself, kissed him lightly on the temple. Snape merely murmured something in his sleep and rolled over.

"Night Sev. You owe me an evening of your time." Aleris whispered as he headed for his own bed at last.

The next morning when Aleris awoke and made his way into the living room he found Snape had already gone. Typical Severus, he thought shaking his head. The man was clearly on a collision course with something if he kept going at this pace. It was just a matter of time to see what that something would be.

TBC...

(Thank you SOOO much for all the great feedback! We are so happy you're all enjoying it! :huh: )

I don't know who to feel more sorry for. Aleris for being stood up (although he wasn't really), or Severus for having to celebrate Halloween with Voldemort.

Please update soon. I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter; and I am sure the other readers are as well.

To the both of you, Good Work!

I don't know who to feel more sorry for. Aleris for being stood up (although he wasn't really), or Severus for having to celebrate Halloween with Voldemort.

Please update soon. I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter; and I am sure the other readers are as well.

:blushing: I know! It was just a bad night all around, wasn't it! :innocent: I swear we aren't purposefully torturning them! :lol::shy: And thanks! We're so glad it's a hit!

Here's the next part! Sorry it's so long! I couldn't find a good place to cut it off before then! :lol: But the length should be very much made up for by... sneezes galore!!! :D

Something Deeper continued

As time went on, Aleris began to get more and more worried about Snape. On top of the build up of schoolwork that Aleris discovered always preceded the Christmas holiday, Snape was being forced to go out almost every other night due to Order business and the toll it was taking on the man was only too clear. He looked constantly exhausted, dark circles having begun to appear under his tired eyes. And although they were getting closer and closer, they were unable to spend much time together. On many of the few occasions they had together in the evenings Aleris had been forced to send Snape off to bed soon after he had arrived because he looked as though he was about to fall asleep right there. He seemed to be eating less as well, and looked decidedly paler. Even the students had noticed a change in the man who was usually the terror of the school. Aleris had heard them commenting on the sudden lack of detentions and house point removals from him. And yet Snape continued to insist that he was fine. Aleris would have pushed the issue, but every time he mentioned it Snape became annoyed and rather defensive. So for a time Aleris watched in silently growing concern as his very close friend seemed to deteriorate before his eyes.

Soon it was Christmas morning and as they had previously agreed to spend the day together, Aleris gathered up the gifts he had wrapped for Snape and made his way through the unusually quiet school and down to Snape’s rooms in the dungeons. He knocked softly on his door and when the man answered gave him a quick hug, packages and all. “Happy Christmas, Severus!” Then as he entered the room and looked for a spot to deposit the gifts he noticed Snape was looking even paler than usual and there was a thin sheen of sweat across his forehead. He set the gifts down and looked at the man seriously, “Are you alright, Severus?”

Snape ran a hand across his forehead. “I’m fine.” It came out rather hoarsely and he cleared his throat and tried again, “I’m fine.” This was belied as he then broke into a harsh coughing fit.

Aleris crossed the room and put a hand on Snape’s forehead before the man could flinch away. “You have a fever. You are definitely not fine.”

Before Snape could argue the point his face twisted in pain and he grabbed his left arm. “The Dark Lord wants me. I’m sorry. I have to go.”

Aleris grabbed his right arm. “Severus, you’re ill. I’m sorry but you’re in no condition to be out there doing Merlin knows what for the Dark Lord. You belong here in bed.”

Snape sighed. “Perhaps you’re right, Aleris. However the Dark Lord would not see it that way. I have to go.” He turned and sneezed harshly into his handkerchief. “Hiiisscch! Hiiisscchhh!

Aleris put a hand out to brush back the hair that fallen into Snape’s face. “Alright, if you have to go, tell him you are needed here. You will be missed if you are gone today. Tell him you can’t stay and do whatever it is he wants you to do. Then come back here and let me take care of you.”

Snape gave him a sad smile as he shrugged into his coat. “I’ll do what I can.” He headed out the door, shoulders hunched and with decidedly less haste than he normally employed when answering a summons from the Dark Lord.

Aleris waited in Snape’s rooms for the man to return. What was taking him so long? Had he decided to stay after all, or had the Dark Lord kept him there? He tried relaxing on Snape’s couch but found himself going about the room examining various objects. Most of the things Snape had about the room had to do with his work, various specialized potion making apparatuses and things. Eventually he found himself simply pacing back and forth. Finally he heard a hand on the door and it opened to admit Snape, looking quite the worse for the weather.

It had taken an immense amount of time, energy, patience (something Snape generally had very little of), and excuses before Voldemort had finally submitted and allowed Snape to return to the castle, though he had struck him across the face before doing so. Illness, weakness of any kind, was something the Dark Lord did not tolerate. When he had left the castle Snape had felt quite warm from his fever, but now he was shivering uncontrollably. He would have tried to hide this from Aleris under normal circumstances, but at the moment he hardly had the energy to stumble over to his sofa and collapse, shivering and quickly fumbled in his pocket for his handkerchief while Aleris watched, concern etched across his handsome face. Unfortunately Snape was unable to get to his handkerchief before a set of harsh, wet sneezes exploded out of him.

Ih..ih..HISHOOO!!! Isshhoooo!! IkkSSHOOO! HERAAASSHHHOOOO!!!!” The sneezes where so forceful that each one propelled Snape forward, his silky black hair falling over his face. His nose was beginning to run badly, and the sneezes were followed by another fit of painful sounding coughs. Finally he slumped back onto the couch, shivering and managing to extract his handkerchief at last and blowing his nose with a long wet honk. Aleris forced himself not to wince at the sound, Snape both sounded and looked absolutely awful, he was amazed at how bad he had gotten seemingly so fast. Certainly he hadn't been looking well lately, but he hadn't looked this bad yesterday, had he? Aleris wondered. Snape coughed weakly again and looked up apologetically.

“Aleris…” he began in a hoarse voice, he felt terrible, not only because he was sick, but also because he knew he was once again ruining their plans. It seemed that every time they planned something like this Snape ended up ruining it. But he sneezed wetly into his handkerchief before he could finish, not that he was entirely sure of what he was going to say anyway, he had never been good at apologies after all.

Hhhmmmppptchhhh!! Hhsshmmpphh!! Hhppssshhhh!!

Before Snape could try to say anything further Aleris was by his side. He put a steadying hand about the man‘s shoulders. “Oh Severus. You sound as if you feel awful, and you’ve got a fever. Let’s get you into bed.” He tried to guide his friend up off the couch but was met with protests.

“No, really I’m alright. I don’t want to ruin the day you had planned.” He looked around the room and settled on the presents Aleris had set down when he’d arrived. “We could open gifts, or something,” he added before starting to cough again.

“Sev, you’re shivering. At least change out of those damp clothes.” Once again Aleris tried to guide his friend off the couch and this time succeeded. In the bedroom he found a set of flannel pajamas as Snape struggled out of damp robes. Then he went to one of the wardrobes and opened it to reveal linens. Pulling out a thick woolen blanket he commented over his shoulder to Snape who was now pulling on the pajamas he’d been given, “If you insist on staying up and about I’m going to at least make sure you’re as comfortable as I can manage.”

Aleris followed Snape back into the living room and when he’d settled back onto the couch tucked the blanket around him, ignoring his protests and rolled eyes. Then he retrieved the gifts from where he’d left them on a side table. Snape directed him to his own gifts, which were sitting on the carved ebony desk at the far end of the room. Then he settled into the chair across from Snape. “Alright, you’re so eager to do this, you go first,” Aleris smiled sardonically at his friend.

Snape selected a medium sized flat package wrapped in green paper. He tore the paper free to reveal an ancient looking tome. 7 Deadly Potions of Peru by Serinia Alvariz. He carefully thumbed through it’s yellowed pages with obvious interest and commented, “Fascinating. Wherever did you come across it?”

Delighted by the reaction Aleris replied, “Oh, I found it years ago in my travels as an Auror.” He picked up a square box wrapped in blue paper. He carefully pulled back the taped edges and folded the paper up and set it aside before opening the box. He pulled out a long scarf in blue and silver with the Ravenclaw crest on each end. He enthusiastically put it around his neck. “It’s fabulous! I used to have one back when I was a student.”

Snape picked up the other larger package and removed the wrapping from the box. He set aside the lid of the box and lifted out a pair of ice skates. He simply looked at them for a moment before looking up at Aleris. He had absolutely no idea what to make of this gift, what had the man been thinking? Did he actually expect Snape to use them? Aleris was looking at him expectantly however so he’d better say something, “Aleris, I, hang on, I ha..have to... HARAASSSHOOO!! Ih..ihh..IIIhhsshooo! HIIISSSHOOO!! Ih..ihh….HISHHOOO!!! IkkShhooo!” He sneezed desperately into his handkerchief which had hastily replaced the skates in his hands.

“Bless you, Severus. We’ll obviously have to wait until you’re feeling better to use those,” Aleris commented gesturing to the skates, “But I was thinking, you need spend more time having fun and not working so hard and I saw these in a shop and the lake is right here, so…I got a pair for both of us. It’ll be a blast.” He grinned at Snape.

Snape picked the skates back up and set them gently in their box. Aleris actually wanted to go skating with him, on the lake, where people might see them. He tried to picture it but the idea was just too, well, unimaginable. “Thanks, Aleris. I’m sure it will be, an experience.”

Aleris picked up his other gift, a large flat package. He undid the wrappings to find a carefully put together scrapbook of clippings from The Daily Prophet and other wizarding papers and magazines, local and international tracing his own career as a professional Quidditch player. It had pictures and articles from the time he left Hogwarts and joined Puddlemere United to the time he was chosen for the England National Team. He flipped through the pages watching as his younger self went head to head with Ludo Bagman in a match against the Wimbourne Wasps, or made a spectacular save to keep a Bludger from knocking out their seeker just as she caught the snitch in a match against Portugal. Aleris looked up at Snape with tears in his eyes, “You saved these, all these years?”

Snape inwardly groaned. What had he expected the man’s reaction to be? He wasn’t daft enough to think he’d just gone out overnight and collected them after all. “We were friends and you actually went and made something of yourself and I, well, we all know what I did.” He coughed harshly. “I noticed you didn’t have any pictures of back then, so I just thought…” He trailed off and began coughing again.

Aleris laid the book aside. “Severus, it’s the most wonderful gift. Thank you. But you sound miserable. You really should rest now. I insist.”

Snape hesitated, he wanted very much to agree to this, he was exhausted, his whole body ached, his head was pounding, and he really did want to simply crawl into bed and fall into the oblivion of a hopefully dreamless sleep. But at the same time everything in him resisted the offer. He had kept up this appearance of invulnerability for so long, he realized, that he was terrified to let go of it and allow someone to see who he really was. He wasn’t sure he even knew who he was under there anymore, it had been so long. His time as a Death Eater had been much more traumatizing then he had admitted to anyone, including himself most likely. So he had simply shut down emotionally, it was just easier to be hated for some reason. Maybe because he had gotten used to it from being a Death eater, maybe simply because if he was hated no one would bother him and he could continue to deny how emotionally scarred he really was. And yet part of him wanted to open up to Aleris, to be able to cry on someone’s shoulder, to allow himself to be loved instead of hated and feared. It was something he had never had and always wanted, but he was afraid to do it. What if he opened himself up to Aleris and got rejected? What if he had fallen for Snape’s tough exterior? Would he be disgusted at how weak and pathetic he really was? Probably, Snape thought, after he all, he himself was disgusted. He groaned, his fever must be higher than he had thought if he was actually considering opening up to anyone, Aleris most of all.

“Sev? Severus, did you hear me? Are you all right?” The man seemed to have zoned out completely, Aleris thought.

Snape shook himself, having been lost in thought for a moment and looked up at Aleris, who’s eyes where filled with deep concern. He opened his mouth to speak, but was caught off guard by another set of violent sneezes and coughs that literally shook him to the core and made his head swim from lack of oxygen.

I – ISSHHOOOO!!! Eh…EcktCHOO! Hickt’SHOOO!!! Hmpt’CHOOO!!! Hmpt’CHHHH!!! I-Hiissshhhttt! HIISSSHHHTTT!! HISHHOOOO!!!

“Come on.” Aleris said gently, taking Snape by the arm and leading him toward the bedroom at the same time as placing a hand to the mans flushed cheek.

“You’re burning up Severus, you should be in bed. I should have made you go sooner.”

This time Snape merely nodded weakly in between coughs and allowed himself to be led out of the room. He simply didn’t have the strength to argue anymore, even if he had wanted to, which he was beginning to seriously wonder about. He even allowed Aleris to tuck him into bed with only minor protests.

“Really Aleris, I can take care of myself, I’m not a child, you know?”

Aleris smiled, trying to keep as much of the amusement out of it as possible as he recalled something almost identical that had come out of the same mans mouth when he was just a teenager, over twenty years ago. And without thinking he found himself replying in almost the same manner he had then.

“I know you can. Your skills are not in question, only you do seem quite sick. And your fever has definitely gone up.” He frowned. “Maybe you should go see Madam Pomfrey.”

But Snape didn’t respond, he was already drifting into a somewhat fever troubled sleep, plagued with dark images and memories.

TBC...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:bleh: Poor Snivillous.... Heehee! Snape and ice skate! :cryhappy: That was Aljana's brilliant idea!

:cryhappy: I know! It was just a bad night all around, wasn't it! :innocent: I swear we aren't purposefully torturning them! :lol::P And thanks! We're so glad it's a hit!

Here's the next part! Sorry it's so long! I couldn't find a good place to cut it off before then! :lol: But the length should be very much made up for by... sneezes galore!!! :lol:

As time went on, Aleris began to get more and more worried about Snape. On top of the build up of schoolwork that Aleris discovered always preceded the Christmas holiday, Snape was being forced to go out almost every other night due to Order business and the toll it was taking on the man was only too clear. He looked constantly exhausted, dark circles having begun to appear under his tired eyes. And although they were getting closer and closer, they were unable to spend much time together. On many of the few occasions they had together in the evenings Aleris had been forced to send Snape off to bed soon after he had arrived because he looked as though he was about to fall asleep right there. He seemed to be eating less as well, and looked decidedly paler. Even the students had noticed a change in the man who was usually the terror of the school. Aleris had heard them commenting on the sudden lack of detentions and house point removals from him. And yet Snape continued to insist that he was fine. Aleris would have pushed the issue, but every time he mentioned it Snape became annoyed and rather defensive. So for a time Aleris watched in silently growing concern as his very close friend seemed to deteriorate before his eyes.

Soon it was Christmas morning and as they had previously agreed to spend the day together, Aleris gathered up the gifts he had wrapped for Snape and made his way through the unusually quiet school and down to Snape’s rooms in the dungeons. He knocked softly on his door and when the man answered gave him a quick hug, packages and all. “Happy Christmas, Severus!” Then as he entered the room and looked for a spot to deposit the gifts he noticed Snape was looking even paler than usual and there was a thin sheen of sweat across his forehead. He set the gifts down and looked at the man seriously, “Are you alright, Severus?”

Snape ran a hand across his forehead. “I’m fine.” It came out rather hoarsely and he cleared his throat and tried again, “I’m fine.” This was belied as he then broke into a harsh coughing fit.

Aleris crossed the room and put a hand on Snape’s forehead before the man could flinch away. “You have a fever. You are definitely not fine.”

Before Snape could argue the point his face twisted in pain and he grabbed his left arm. “The Dark Lord wants me. I’m sorry. I have to go.”

Aleris grabbed his right arm. “Severus, you’re ill. I’m sorry but you’re in no condition to be out there doing Merlin knows what for the Dark Lord. You belong here in bed.”

Snape sighed. “Perhaps you’re right, Aleris. However the Dark Lord would not see it that way. I have to go.” He turned and sneezed harshly into his handkerchief. “Hiiisscch! Hiiisscchhh!

Aleris put a hand out to brush back the hair that fallen into Snape’s face. “Alright, if you have to go, tell him you are needed here. You will be missed if you are gone today. Tell him you can’t stay and do whatever it is he wants you to do. Then come back here and let me take care of you.”

Snape gave him a sad smile as he shrugged into his coat. “I’ll do what I can.” He headed out the door, shoulders hunched and with decidedly less haste than he normally employed when answering a summons from the Dark Lord.

Aleris waited in Snape’s rooms for the man to return. What was taking him so long? Had he decided to stay after all, or had the Dark Lord kept him there? He tried relaxing on Snape’s couch but found himself going about the room examining various objects. Most of the things Snape had about the room had to do with his work, various specialized potion making apparatuses and things. Eventually he found himself simply pacing back and forth. Finally he heard a hand on the door and it opened to admit Snape, looking quite the worse for the weather.

It had taken an immense amount of time, energy, patience (something Snape generally had very little of), and excuses before Voldemort had finally submitted and allowed Snape to return to the castle, though he had struck him across the face before doing so. Illness, weakness of any kind, was something the Dark Lord did not tolerate. When he had left the castle Snape had felt quite warm from his fever, but now he was shivering uncontrollably. He would have tried to hide this from Aleris under normal circumstances, but at the moment he hardly had the energy to stumble over to his sofa and collapse, shivering and quickly fumbled in his pocket for his handkerchief while Aleris watched, concern etched across his handsome face. Unfortunately Snape was unable to get to his handkerchief before a set of harsh, wet sneezes exploded out of him.

Ih..ih..HISHOOO!!! Isshhoooo!! IkkSSHOOO! HERAAASSHHHOOOO!!!!” The sneezes where so forceful that each one propelled Snape forward, his silky black hair falling over his face. His nose was beginning to run badly, and the sneezes were followed by another fit of painful sounding coughs. Finally he slumped back onto the couch, shivering and managing to extract his handkerchief at last and blowing his nose with a long wet honk. Aleris forced himself not to wince at the sound, Snape both sounded and looked absolutely awful, he was amazed at how bad he had gotten seemingly so fast. Certainly he hadn't been looking well lately, but he hadn't looked this bad yesterday, had he? Aleris wondered. Snape coughed weakly again and looked up apologetically.

“Aleris…” he began in a hoarse voice, he felt terrible, not only because he was sick, but also because he knew he was once again ruining their plans. It seemed that every time they planned something like this Snape ended up ruining it. But he sneezed wetly into his handkerchief before he could finish, not that he was entirely sure of what he was going to say anyway, he had never been good at apologies after all.

Hhhmmmppptchhhh!! Hhsshmmpphh!! Hhppssshhhh!!

Before Snape could try to say anything further Aleris was by his side. He put a steadying hand about the man‘s shoulders. “Oh Severus. You sound as if you feel awful, and you’ve got a fever. Let’s get you into bed.” He tried to guide his friend up off the couch but was met with protests.

“No, really I’m alright. I don’t want to ruin the day you had planned.” He looked around the room and settled on the presents Aleris had set down when he’d arrived. “We could open gifts, or something,” he added before starting to cough again.

“Sev, you’re shivering. At least change out of those damp clothes.” Once again Aleris tried to guide his friend off the couch and this time succeeded. In the bedroom he found a set of flannel pajamas as Snape struggled out of damp robes. Then he went to one of the wardrobes and opened it to reveal linens. Pulling out a thick woolen blanket he commented over his shoulder to Snape who was now pulling on the pajamas he’d been given, “If you insist on staying up and about I’m going to at least make sure you’re as comfortable as I can manage.”

Aleris followed Snape back into the living room and when he’d settled back onto the couch tucked the blanket around him, ignoring his protests and rolled eyes. Then he retrieved the gifts from where he’d left them on a side table. Snape directed him to his own gifts, which were sitting on the carved ebony desk at the far end of the room. Then he settled into the chair across from Snape. “Alright, you’re so eager to do this, you go first,” Aleris smiled sardonically at his friend.

Snape selected a medium sized flat package wrapped in green paper. He tore the paper free to reveal an ancient looking tome. 7 Deadly Potions of Peru by Serinia Alvariz. He carefully thumbed through it’s yellowed pages with obvious interest and commented, “Fascinating. Wherever did you come across it?”

Delighted by the reaction Aleris replied, “Oh, I found it years ago in my travels as an Auror.” He picked up a square box wrapped in blue paper. He carefully pulled back the taped edges and folded the paper up and set it aside before opening the box. He pulled out a long scarf in blue and silver with the Ravenclaw crest on each end. He enthusiastically put it around his neck. “It’s fabulous! I used to have one back when I was a student.”

Snape picked up the other larger package and removed the wrapping from the box. He set aside the lid of the box and lifted out a pair of ice skates. He simply looked at them for a moment before looking up at Aleris. He had absolutely no idea what to make of this gift, what had the man been thinking? Did he actually expect Snape to use them? Aleris was looking at him expectantly however so he’d better say something, “Aleris, I, hang on, I ha..have to... HARAASSSHOOO!! Ih..ihh..IIIhhsshooo! HIIISSSHOOO!! Ih..ihh….HISHHOOO!!! IkkShhooo!” He sneezed desperately into his handkerchief which had hastily replaced the skates in his hands.

“Bless you, Severus. We’ll obviously have to wait until you’re feeling better to use those,” Aleris commented gesturing to the skates, “But I was thinking, you need spend more time having fun and not working so hard and I saw these in a shop and the lake is right here, so…I got a pair for both of us. It’ll be a blast.” He grinned at Snape.

Snape picked the skates back up and set them gently in their box. Aleris actually wanted to go skating with him, on the lake, where people might see them. He tried to picture it but the idea was just too, well, unimaginable. “Thanks, Aleris. I’m sure it will be, an experience.”

Aleris picked up his other gift, a large flat package. He undid the wrappings to find a carefully put together scrapbook of clippings from The Daily Prophet and other wizarding papers and magazines, local and international tracing his own career as a professional Quidditch player. It had pictures and articles from the time he left Hogwarts and joined Puddlemere United to the time he was chosen for the England National Team. He flipped through the pages watching as his younger self went head to head with Ludo Bagman in a match against the Wimbourne Wasps, or made a spectacular save to keep a Bludger from knocking out their seeker just as she caught the snitch in a match against Portugal. Aleris looked up at Snape with tears in his eyes, “You saved these, all these years?”

Snape inwardly groaned. What had he expected the man’s reaction to be? He wasn’t daft enough to think he’d just gone out overnight and collected them after all. “We were friends and you actually went and made something of yourself and I, well, we all know what I did.” He coughed harshly. “I noticed you didn’t have any pictures of back then, so I just thought…” He trailed off and began coughing again.

Aleris laid the book aside. “Severus, it’s the most wonderful gift. Thank you. But you sound miserable. You really should rest now. I insist.”

Snape hesitated, he wanted very much to agree to this, he was exhausted, his whole body ached, his head was pounding, and he really did want to simply crawl into bed and fall into the oblivion of a hopefully dreamless sleep. But at the same time everything in him resisted the offer. He had kept up this appearance of invulnerability for so long, he realized, that he was terrified to let go of it and allow someone to see who he really was. He wasn’t sure he even knew who he was under there anymore, it had been so long. His time as a Death Eater had been much more traumatizing then he had admitted to anyone, including himself most likely. So he had simply shut down emotionally, it was just easier to be hated for some reason. Maybe because he had gotten used to it from being a Death eater, maybe simply because if he was hated no one would bother him and he could continue to deny how emotionally scarred he really was. And yet part of him wanted to open up to Aleris, to be able to cry on someone’s shoulder, to allow himself to be loved instead of hated and feared. It was something he had never had and always wanted, but he was afraid to do it. What if he opened himself up to Aleris and got rejected? What if he had fallen for Snape’s tough exterior? Would he be disgusted at how weak and pathetic he really was? Probably, Snape thought, after he all, he himself was disgusted. He groaned, his fever must be higher than he had thought if he was actually considering opening up to anyone, Aleris most of all.

“Sev? Severus, did you hear me? Are you all right?” The man seemed to have zoned out completely, Aleris thought.

Snape shook himself, having been lost in thought for a moment and looked up at Aleris, who’s eyes where filled with deep concern. He opened his mouth to speak, but was caught off guard by another set of violent sneezes and coughs that literally shook him to the core and made his head swim from lack of oxygen.

I – ISSHHOOOO!!! Eh…EcktCHOO! Hickt’SHOOO!!! Hmpt’CHOOO!!! Hmpt’CHHHH!!! I-Hiissshhhttt! HIISSSHHHTTT!! HISHHOOOO!!!

“Come on.” Aleris said gently, taking Snape by the arm and leading him toward the bedroom at the same time as placing a hand to the mans flushed cheek.

“You’re burning up Severus, you should be in bed. I should have made you go sooner.”

This time Snape merely nodded weakly in between coughs and allowed himself to be led out of the room. He simply didn’t have the strength to argue anymore, even if he had wanted to, which he was beginning to seriously wonder about. He even allowed Aleris to tuck him into bed with only minor protests.

“Really Aleris, I can take care of myself, I’m not a child, you know?”

Aleris smiled, trying to keep as much of the amusement out of it as possible as he recalled something almost identical that had come out of the same mans mouth when he was just a teenager, over twenty years ago. And without thinking he found himself replying in almost the same manner he had then.

“I know you can. Your skills are not in question, only you do seem quite sick. And your fever has definitely gone up.” He frowned. “Maybe you should go see Madam Pomfrey.”

But Snape didn’t respond, he was already drifting into a somewhat fever troubled sleep, plagued with dark images and memories.

TBC...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol: Poor Snivillous.... Heehee! Snape and ice skate! :lol: That was Aljana's brilliant idea!

Awwww!! Poor Snape. I'm loving the way that you two are torturing.... err... I mean... nah... torturing is the right word.

Anyway- I love the sense of feeling divided and wanting to have someone to support him but being afraid to trust.

This is awesome! Great job!

oh- and I'd like more. :shy:

Ok...I definetly shouldn't have put off reading this until now...

:D

sooo.... long....

but soooo.... good!

Awesome work!!!

-throws confetti and lurks-

Zuki~

:D

• 3 weeks later...

:) DAMN I have been asleep. HOW did I miss this one?!

it's an effing GEM, darlings. you two are GOOD together. I adore the character of Aleris Ashriel (and his name, oh wow!) and you're writing a Snape that's almost even better than Miss Rowling's :)

yes. well-balanced, thoroughly intricate, fascinating story. THIS is my favourite kind of sneeze-fic - a REAL story, with a GOOD plot, with the sneezes worked in like embroidery on a favoured piece of clothing or the raisins in a cake. all in the right places without destroying the pleasant element of surprise. Hulde!

• 1 month later...

You thought we'd stopped, didn't you? WRONG! :shocking: We just got..well... we got many things. But not to worry! We are back on track! From here on thinsg will be getting to be a bit more emotional. WTF?! We somehow managed to write with an actual,if horribly sappy, plot! :shocking::lol: But we haven't forgotten about the sneezes, there still there. Just accompanied by angst galore! :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Aleris watched his friend sleep he wondered if this illness would be the catalyst that would finally allow Snape to open up to him. For although their relationship had progressed and they’d grown closer than ever over the past few months Aleris felt the other man was still holding back. If he could just get Snape to trust him.

Aleris had apparently drifted off to sleep because he found himself jolted awake by the sound of harsh coughing next to him. He shook off the vestiges of slumber and saw Snape struggling to catch his breath. He picked up the empty water glass from the bedside table and murmered, “Aguamenti.” The glass filled with cool, clear water which he offered over to Snape who took it gratefully and after sipping at it was finally able to stop the spasms of coughing.

Aleris took back the water glass and set it on the table before rubbing at Snape’s shoulders. “Better?” Snape sank back onto the bed wearily. “Much, thank you.” Aleris reached over to feel Snape’s forehead, which was still quite warm, and Snape didn’t bother to pull away. “How are you feeling?”

Snape thought about lying to Aleris, telling him he felt fine, but he was sure Aleris wouldn’t believe him anyway. “Terrible, actually,” he admitted after a moment’s pause. “I might have felt better had I gone out with the Death Eater’s after all and gotten my head blasted off. I don’t remember the last time I felt this awful.” He looked as if he were going to say something else but instead brought his handkerchief up to sneeze wetly, each explosion thrusting him forward in bed. “HIISSSHHHTTT!! HISHHOOOO!!! Hmpt'CHHHH!!!” He sank back into the bed groaning.

Aleris was shocked to hear Snape not only admit that he wasn’t feeling well, but to actually admit exactly how poorly he was feeling. They’d finally crossed that final barrier in their relationship. “I’m sorry, Sev. Can I get you anything to make you feel better?”

There were tears in Snape’s eyes, he could feel the walls beginning to crumble all around him. His own walls, the ones he had built, brick by bitter brick to lock the world out. He could feel all the emotions he had locked away welling up inside him. He was standing on the brink, one step forward and the walls would fall and all of his true self would be displayed for Aleris to see, one step back and… If he didn’t do it now he was quite sure he never would, the walls would rebuild themselves and he would be locked away forever, in a prison he had built with his own twisted and tormented mind.

“Aleris…” His voice cracked slightly and he honestly didn’t know if it was from illness or the effort of holding back tears. He found himself reaching for the man’s hand, and felt it close gently around his own, warm, strong, and reassuring.

“No.” Snape said softly. “You’ve given me more than I could ever have asked you for. Trust…acceptance, understanding…love…Aleris I…I think…” He looked away, terrified of what he was about to say and what ramifications it might hold. Merlin he must be out of his mind. “I think I love you…”

And with a thunderous sound that Snape supposed only he could hear, the walls came tumbling down as though those three little words had held the force of a huge earth quake within them. It was as though a damn had burst, and Snape found himself doing something that he couldn’t recall ever doing in front of someone before, and here he was, lying in bed with another man and crying. Not just crying sobbing into his pillow, drowning in the silence that had followed that final declaration. He couldn’t tell if what he was feeling was relief, or, fear, or disgust, or some other nearly unknown emotion that he denied himself for so long.

Aleris held Snape as the man cried against his shoulder. The importance of this last statement was not lost on him and he took a moment to simply digest it. This was the moment he had been waiting for for months. The last barriers between them had come crashing down and Snape had finally admitted not only to himself but to Aleris as well how he really felt, and was allowing himself to feel it. Aleris ran a hand over the man’s warm brow and through his dark hair. “Severus, you know I love you too. Everything will be alright. I promise.”

Snape, suddenly self-conscious again quickly wiped at the tears that had been streaming down his face. “I’m sorry Aleris. I don’t know what came over me. "I…I…ISSHHOOOO!!! Hmpt'CHHHH!!! HIISSSHHHTTT!! HISHHOOOO!!!

Aleris quickly handed Snape his handkerchief as his expression turned distant and his breath hitched. After a few harsh sneezes that pulled him forward in the bed Aleris said sympathetically, “Blessings. And don’t worry about it, you’re not feeling well. Now you should have something to eat. How about if I have the House Elves bring up some soup?”

Snape settled back in the bed and sighed. “I’m not really hungry but if you insist I suppose I could try to eat something.” He closed his eyes as Aleris left the room to summon the dinner.

(TBC! If it weren't for copy rights we couldpublish this as a novel! :laugh::lol: Poor Snape, all sick and having emotional melt downs too! ;) *cuddles him to make him feel better* :innocent: )

Aawwwwwwwwwwwwww.... ;):shocking: *drowns in cheese fondue and loves it*

soooooooooooo SWEET.... *chirp chirp* :shocking:

Mmmmmmm cheese! Cheese is yummy! :laugh:

Break him! :P Errrr.... I mean- if it works with the plot. :laugh:

Totally unexpected- can't wait to see where you take this.

OH MY GOD I just finished watching Dogma and was WTFDEAD over Alan*SNAPE*Rickman, and now of all times I stumble upon this. It's a bloody gem, I tell you. This last bit with Snape unleashing all the cheese he has kept locked inside of him! ggyyaAh! The man was a human fucking fondu!

I don't usually like characters to be out of charater in fics, but this...this fits perfectly in MY book. I could die over that sexy english beast of a man repeatedly for all eternity. Big love on you, and give more! Make my Snape!

OH MY GOD I just finished watching Dogma and was WTFDEAD over Alan*SNAPE*Rickman, and now of all times I stumble upon this. It's a bloody gem, I tell you. This last bit with Snape unleashing all the cheese he has kept locked inside of him! ggyyaAh! The man was a human fucking fondu!

I don't usually like characters to be out of charater in fics, but this...this fits perfectly in MY book. I could die over that sexy english beast of a man repeatedly for all eternity. Big love on you, and give more! Make my Snape!

JDFDZLFDKSVSK!!!!! :D Alan Rickman rocks in Dogma! *gigglestupid*

I don't generally like characters acting out of character either, but this sort of seemed like a normal progression for this story somehow. Hope we didn't over do it. :lol: And now for the next bit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he waited for the House Elves to bring up the soup Aleris thought about the day, it had been long and emotional. He’d arrived at Snape’s rooms to find his friend not feeling well and had then had to get him to clear himself of the Dark Lord‘s summons. Then Snape had tried to pass himself off as feeling fine which had lasted all of an hour. Finally in whatever illness induced state he was in realizing that he really did love Aleris and his confession of those feelings. He had to admit that a part of him rather liked Snape in this vulnerable state. As much as he loved the normally brusque, snarky Snape, it was sort of a nice change to be needed. As he was mulling over this change in his lover one of the House Elves arrived with a tray from the kitchens which he took thanking the smaller creature.

Snape was blowing his nose again when Aleris walked back into the room with a tray holding a couple of bowls of steaming soup. “Alright here we go.” He set the tray down on the bed and joined Snape. They ate in silence for a bit. After a while Snape handed his bowl back to Aleris and gave in to a harsh fit of coughing. When it finally passed he was breathing heavily and Aleris handed him a glass of water which he accepted gratefully.

He downed the water quickly, letting it both sooth his raw throat and cool his feverish body as well as clearing his mind a bit. He was exhausted. Both physically and emotionally. In fact he couldn’t remember being this emotionally exhausted in a very long time he thought, handing the empty glass back to Aleris and letting his head fall back onto the pillow. Without thinking he rolled onto his side and curled himself up against Aleris’s warm body. His body having switched from hot to cold with rather alarming speed, he shivered slightly and pressed himself closer to Aleris, no longer even caring about whether or not he appeared weak. All he really cared about at the moment was rest and the fact that he felt like hell. He could already feel himself beginning to drift off to sleep when the desperate need to sneeze found it’s way into his sinus’s, he pulled back suddenly from Aleris, breath hitching, eyes fluttering shut, hand reaching blindly for his handkerchief which seemed to have vanished.

“Ih! Hih…ih… Hi’ISHOOO!”

The sneeze jerked his upper body forward and he felt the soft fabric of his handkerchief pressed loosely against his nose and mouth. His immediate surprise at this was cut off by several more forceful sneezes, this time muffled by the handkerchief.

“Hmpt’CHHHH! Upt’SHHHHHH!!! Hpt’CHOOO!”

He pulled back sniffling and blinking teary red eyes to see Aleris holding the now slightly damp piece of cloth and blushing slightly. Snape felt a distinct blush creep onto his own features as well and quickly snatched the handkerchief to blow his profusely running rose with several long wet gurgles.

“Ugh…” He mumbled, slumping back in bed still sniffling a bit.

Aleris leaned over, brushed some hair off of Snapes face and kissed him gently on the forehead.

“You sound awful.” He said sympathetically. “Can I get you anything?”

Snape looked at him for a few seconds, a rather odd expression on his face.

Aleris frowned. “What is it?”

“Why… Hutchoo! Why do you like me?” Snape asked, his voice curious yet matter of fact.

“What?!” Aleris asked, having been caught completely off guard and rather confused by the question.

“Why do you like me?” Snape repeated. “What is it about me you could possibly have fallen for?”

Aleris found it rather odd that there seemed to be no emotion is Snape’s voice as he posed this question, as though he was simply curious. Though he guessed it was more likely some sort of defense mechanism to keep him from knowing how much Snape actually cared about the answer.

(TBC)

Oh, yay, MORE!

I don't know why, but a wave of pity just swept over me around this line: "Snape was blowing his nose again when Aleris walked back into the room..."

POOR Snape. A cold is such a silly illness, but when someone as independent, reserved, distanced and cold (teehee) as Sev catches it, the whole facade just crumbles. I really feel sorry for him, and at the same time want to pounce on him and give him LOVE from here till Doomsday. Thing is, about them cold, distanced types, when they DO collapse slightly it's just so unbelievably yummy and heart-warming (to the point of combustion) that it's nearly criminal.

But babbling aside - I hope it's obvious I'm REALLY loving this? At some points I'm having a bit of trouble picturing Snape actually doing and saying those things, but when it falls into place it's so cute I could die.

Oh, and wtf - "Why do you love me?"?! AAahhh!? Have you heard yourself speak, you crazy Potion master?! I'd marry him just to have him whisper "Master Pottteerrrr" in my ears every night. I LOVE that he asked, though, and I'm really looking forward for the answer! =)

Archived