Sneeze Fetish Forum

Research Inquiry

Guest Inanna

Guest Inanna

Hello! I'm a newbie doing research for an article on the sneeze in literature, art, music, theatre, general history, and in everyday experience. I came across your forum this morning and knew immediately that this could be an nifty place to ask for information. While I am not a sneeze fetishist myself, I recognize that we all -myself included- waltz somewhere on a continuum, and are not to be criticized for our departures from what some might consider typical behavior. I hope that you will welcome my temporary participation, and pass on any information you might have. I will credit your contributions upon request. Here a a few examples:

The first movie ever made (by Edison) was of a sneeze.

Bukowski has short story in which he goes for a taxi drivers job and at the training course

when asked what is the most dangerous thing for a taxi driver he sticks his hand up and says

" a sneeze".

From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"The Jatravartid people of Viltvodle VI believe that the Universe was in fact sneezed out of the

nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure."

From Ulysses eg: Scylla and Charybdis

"...the most spiritual snuffbox to make the most devout souls sneeze."

And who can forget Sneezy of the Seven Dwarfs?

Thanks...Inanna

"The Jatravartid people of Viltvodle VI believe that the Universe was in fact sneezed out of the

Ahhhhh I love this. I'm sure you could imagine the look on my face when I first read that book and came across that passage. :blink:

Let's not overlook 'The Rape of The Lock', by Mr Alexander Pope, eighteenth century satirist extraordinaire...

Just where the Breath of Life his Nostrils drew,

A charge of Snuff the wily Virgin threw;

The Gnomes direct, to ev'ry Atome just,

The pungent Grains of titillating Dust,

Sudden, with starting Tears each Eye o'erflows,

And the high Dome re-ecchoes to his Nose.

Certainly, a most bathetical way to humilate your nemisis after he cuts off your favourite bit of hair!

Hi

First, I think most of us would prefer not to be credited. That may be surprising to you, but a vetting of that issue probably isn't germane. We kind of want to float under the radar. Who are you writing for? Will you tell us where and when your work is published?

Second, have you researched Dolly Madison? If I could go back in time I'd love to watch her with a snuff box and I'd love to know what she said about it. I have read that she was a heavy snuff user and had 2 handkerchiefs , one for the heavy work and a more dainty one for style. I'll bet she was very sexy with these and I wonder if her husband was one of us.

Third, there are several historical references to Winston Churchill sharing snuff with one of FDR's daughters.

Fourth, be sure to look at the extensive listing of sneezes in TV and the movies.

I have worked with many journalists in the past on various things; I'll bet this will turn out to be one of your more interesting projects.

Please forgive if this doesn't look right. something is weird with my pc just now.

Hi

First, I think most of us would prefer not to be credited. That may be surprising to you, but a vetting of that issue probably isn't germane. We kind of want to float under the radar. Who are you writing for? Will you tell us where and when your work is published?

Second, have you researched Dolly Madison? If I could go back in time I'd love to watch her with a snuff box and I'd love to know what she said about it. I have read that she was a heavy snuff user and had 2 handkerchiefs , one for the heavy work and a more dainty one for style. I'll bet she was very sexy with these and I wonder if her husband was one of us.

Third, there are several historical references to Winston Churchill sharing snuff with one of FDR's daughters.

Fourth, be sure to look at the extensive listing of sneezes in TV and the movies.

I have worked with many journalists in the past on various things; I'll bet this will turn out to be one of your more interesting projects.

Please forgive if this doesn't look right. something is weird with my pc just now.

Guest Inanna

Hello Funguy,

Sorry for not responding sooner. The past few days have been saturated with pre-wedding family activity and there was little time left for amusement. As an aside, I'd like to mention that this forum is among as professionally managed as any I've visited. I really dig the reply notifications which come from the forum team. Thanks for the heads-up guys!

Back to you Funguy. Of course I understand your need for privacy. Ethically, however, I am obligated to offer a credit to those whose information I use; to be quoted is, in the end, the choice of the informant. There are options: we don't always use names as such. For example, I have been quoted and credited only as a "Midwest source."

I do freelance work; everything I choose to research is a labor of love. I have just begun this particular project ; it's geared to a specific linguistic publication. The article will examine the origin of the word "sneeze" and take an historic, cross cultural look at sneezing via fine arts, the media and folk references.

With all due respect, Funguy, if I were to reveal where and when I have been published, then MY right to privacy would go right out the window.

You have provided intriguing leads, and I am exceedingly grateful. If you backchannel me at the address I made available, I'll keep you informed. FYI I'm off to the northeast coast for the next three weeks and will be unable to respond to any mail until after 9/20.

Best to you all,

Inanna

I really dig the reply notifications which come from the forum team.

Yes this is really nice when it's working. I go through periods of several months when it isn't working. I did post about it in website suppport, but so far no one has been able to help me with it.

The Jatravids live in constant fear of the time they call "the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief".

Archived