Sneeze Fetish Forum

"When It Rains, It Pours" - (4 Parts)

tma

Author:tma

Title: "When It Rains, It Pours"

Fandom: House MD

Disclaimer: Not mine- I get not $$ from playing with these characters

Pairing: Potentially Wilson/Chase

Summary: Just when everything in Wilson's life has turned upside down, he gets sick

Spoilers: Through most of season III (set after "Finding Judas")

Author's Note: I've been wanting to try this pairing and I've been feeling badly for both characters lately so I'm going to see where this takes me. Plus... Barrie said that I should write Wilson- so I'm gonna try.

No sneezing Yet- just set up. Next chapter- I promise.

Wilson sat outside waiting for the next bus. He knew that his car would most likely be out of impound within the week, but he couldn't seem to muster up any enthusiasm. The nights were still chilly and he shivered and ran a hand down the length of his face as he thought about the snide comments that Cameron had made.

Was she right? Did I betray my best friend simply to make my life easier? His first thought was to dismiss it as Cameron getting up on her moral high horse again. But then he paused. His life was getting easier since making the decision. The worst part was feeling like House didn't even give a damn. Just looked at him with cold, condemning eyes. Didn't he Realise how far out I stuck my neck? Betrayal. Finding out that your best friend Forged your name and just Assumed that you'd cover for him. That was betrayal. Having his liscense to prescribe be suspended was embarrassing, frustrating and the fact that House just blew it off didn't make it any easier. He had felt like a resident, rather than the Head of Oncology when he had to keep running to House to beg to borrow Cameron. And Cameron didn't make it easy either. "Oh... but it's *my* reputation. I need to *know* if it is the right diagnosis." Wilson clenched and unclenched his fists in frustration at the remembrance. Then coughed harshly into his fist.

As must as it bothered him to admit it, Cameron did have a point. Life is going to be easier having access to funds, especially with 2 allimony checks to write every month. Life will be easier getting to write scripts for patients. As for the rest, Wilson wasn't sure.

He felt like the bus was never going to come. He absently rubbed at his throat which had started to ache. The bus finally pulled up to the stop and Wilson got in and kept his head buried in his AMA journal the entire ride.

He wasn't reading though. Wilson massaged his temples with his fingertips. "Great!" he thought sarcastically. On top of all the crap that was going on with being under investigation, having been scrunitized, almost lost his ability to practice medicine, having watched his best friend slip further and further away into dangerous behaviors, and then after trying to do the right thing wondering if it was the right thing. On top of all of that mess of confusion, now his head was pounding and his throat was raw. It figured. Now that he had nowhere to go.

In the past if he was feeling like crap he always went over to House's place. There wasn't sympathy, but it was a distraction. They'd watch movies and House would make disparaging remarks about Wilson's hygene or something like that. But there was no way that he could even think of calling House now.

Then a name seemed to come out of nowhere. Chase. "I wanted to see how he was handling House's lack of approval anyway." he reasoned to himself. They never talked much, but Wilson could see that in some ways their paths were similar. Both looking to House to save them or make them better in some way. They both were disappointed. They both were lost.

Wilson sniffed and scrubbed at his nose. Then he made his decision and got off at the stop closest to Chase's townhouse.

Alright this chapter has sneezing in it. :drool:

The closest bus stop was still a good 8 blocks from the townhouse. And just as Wilson got off the bus the downpour hit. When it rains it New Jersey in January, it isn't the nice, calm, "Singing In the Rain" type of rain. It is liquid ice that is accompanied by strong, chilling winds. In fact, about two seconds after exiting the bus, Wilson, changed his mind and turned to get back on. Unfortunately the bus was gone.

A horse primal scream came out and he threw his hands in the air. "Are you happy Now?" he questioned the Deity that he was certain was laughing at him. No response. Typical.

Wilson shoved his hands in his pockets and trudged on. His nose was starting to run, and he tried to wipe at it with a handkerchief, which didn't do much good with as much rain as there was.

He made it up to the steps of the townhouse and rang the bell. There didn't appear to be any lights on. Dammit. Wilson didn't know what he was going to do if he had to walk all the way back to the bus stop and wait for a bus home.

Then he heard footsteps. Chase slowly opened the door, expression guarded and hesistant. He was clearly not expecting anyone. The deep purple bruise still stood out on the right side of his jaw.

"Yes?" he questioned.

Now that Wilson was here somehow he couldn't figure out what to say. Nothing that he had planned on saying seemed appropriate. "I... um.... was wondering" he started, looking down at his sopping loafers and running a hand through his sopping wet brown hair.

The Austrialian looked at him questioningly, but Wilson wasn't paying attention. His breathing grew ragged and he fumbled in the pocket of his trenchcoat for a handkerchief. "Huh... AiShuh.. RaEishuh" he turned away from the door as he sneezed into his fist, unable to find what he needed in time. Wilson sighed. "Sorry."

Chase opened the door wider gestured Wilson in. "Pardon me. I wasn't really expecting company."

Wilson looked asbashed. "Well, I'll just use your phone. Ring for a cab."

Chase shooked his head. "I... I didn't mean it to come out like that. I'm probably not very good company. It's been one of those weeks."

Wilson nodded and commented dryly, "When it rains..." then quickly turned and half-stifled two miserable sounding sneezes into the crook of his arm.

"Bless. There's towels in the bathroom. I've got extra sweats in the closet. I'll bring you a pair."

Wilson flushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't want to put you out."

Chase put his hand on the other doctor's arm. "Believe me this is not putting me out. I....I'm just surprised."

"Surprise?" echoed Wilson. "Why?"

"Well." the blonde doctor turned away as if embarrassed, "I just didn't think that anyone wanted to talk to me. I'm the rat, remember. Even if I'm not the rat. I'm still the rat."

Wilson slowly nodded. "I understand."

As Wilson got dried off and into Chase's old sweats, his head started throbbing again. And his nose became congested once again. He blew his nose into a couple of Kleenex and then called, "Ummm... where do you keep the Ibuprofin?"

Chase came in.

"You.... you didn't need to come in."

A rueful look appeared on the young blonde's face. "Actually I did. Before you came I was going to take a couple."

Wilson chuckled horsely and finished with a couple of harsh coughs.

Chase reached into the cabinet and took out the bottle. He looked like he was about to pass the bottle when his eyelashes fluttered, and after a quick shakey inhale he sneezed "EiChuh... Chuh... huh.EiChuh" into the crook of his arm.

"Bless." sprang to Wilson's lips automatically. Then a smile. This was too absurd. "You mean?" He quarried, with a raised eyebrow.

Chase nodded, a matching wry grin on his face.

"Well... quite.. a p-pair...we m..ma EiTShuh... huhRaiShuh .. 'cuse be. bake." Finished Wilson congestedly.

Chase passed Wilson the tissues and the ibuprofin. "When it rains."

Their eyes met. Brown to blue-green. And both men realised that the similaries didn't end with their illness. They both felt used-up. Discarded. Unsure of where they fit in. They both moved towards each other, unsure of what they wanted. For a moment they just stood looking at each other.

The intimacy frightened Chase who quickly cleared his throat and offered Wilson some tea.

Wilson nodded, and went and sat on the sofa.

OMG---what an amazingly sweet story. I just ADORE your HOUSE fanfic TMA. I have to say that this is not a pairing I would have pictured prior to Finding Judas, but since that episode it TOTALLY works. I just melt when I hear I guy say "Bless". My husband says it only to my duaghter and I love it so very much. Makes me melt into the floor. :drool:

Very nice job. With the story and the characters. Thank you so very much for sharing. :cryhappy:

--QS

oops, I still can not figure out how to edit my posts. And I hate spelling errors. Sorry all. I really am not illiterate.

--QS

OMG---what an amazingly sweet story. I just ADORE your HOUSE fanfic TMA. I have to say that this is not a pairing I would have pictured prior to Finding Judas, but since that episode it TOTALLY works. I just melt when I hear a guy say "Bless". My husband says it only to my daughter and I love it so very much. Makes me melt into the floor. :twisted:

Very nice job. With the story and the characters. Thank you so very much for sharing. :omg:

--QS

Geez, if I knew you'd write whatever I told you too... :drool:

Very cool start, tma. I like your description of the rain, and of how the two of them are similar. So...did you really think it worked with the story to make both of them sick (I do; I think it's a very interesting place to go), or did you just feel the need to write a few sneezes for your favorite wombat? (Been there, done that, too.) :twisted: Can't wait to see more.

Abyssinia,

Barrie

I love your House stories, and I'm really glad you've decided to try out Wilson, becuase he's lovely and you write him so well. Only thing is, we don't have the 3rd series over in the UK yet, and now I can't wait to see it!

I hope that I wasn't Too bad with the spoilers. I tried to at least warn that this has some spoilers in it.

Barrie... lol! Actually- I hadn't planned to have Chase sick, it just sort of happened (not that I'm complaining *grin*) but I'm glad that you think that it is working. I'm trying to keep more focus on Wilson in this one though.

I'm working through the next bit of dialogue- hopefully I'll get it set and on here by Tues afternoon- because once I see the new episode my thoughts might get derailed.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. :bleh: I'm especially flattered that you guys like my characterizations (can't spell tonite). I Try really hard to keep my fanficts in character and my orginals realistic and "in character" too.

This isn't nearly as much as I wanted- but I wanted to put it up while I was thinking of it... sorry for the length.

"So..." Wilson offered, as Chase handed him a steaming mug.

The blonde flipped the hair out of his eyes as he sat down on the opposite end of the couch. "So...." he replied back, seeming hesistant to offer up anything else.

The two men sat in companionable silence sipping slowly at the mugs and gazing out the sliding glass doors to the right, at the rain pouring down onto the balancony.

After watching it for a bit, Wilson found that he needed to suppress a shiver that ran down the length of his spine. It was as if his body was remember just how cold and damp it had been out there. He sniffed and scrubbed at his nose lightly with his index finger. There was a growing prickly sensation at the back of his sinuses that signaled the beginnings of a sneeze. Wilson lightly bit his tongue and cleared his throat- for some unknown reason that generally seemed to work.

"Do you ever find that House is the type that you can't live with and you can't live without?" Wilson found himself blurting out. Then he ruefully shook his chestnut head and lightly rubbed his neck- gestures that tended to get more pronounced the more embarrassed or frustrated that he was.

Chase's blue-green eyes opened wide with that question. Whatever he had been expecting from the older man, it certainly wasn't that. He bit his lip bowing his head slightly, thinking it over.

Wilson, however, didn't put those connotations to those actions. He opened his mouth to speak and immediately found himself flooded with an intesified urge to sneeze. He quickly grabbed at a couple of Kleenexes from the box, and held them up towards his face. His lips trembled slightly and his brown eyes grew distant and slightly watery "Neehh... HuRrrrsshhhhuh... RrreTshuh...dever...biiiii...heh AiiiiChuh.... EiChmpt." he finally managed to mostly stifle the last one.

"Alright?" Chase quarried, a hint of concern lining his voice.

Wilson nodded and turning away blew his nose.

When he looked back Chase said, "It's alright."

Wilson looked puzzled by that statement, so Chase continued, "That you asked me that question. I wasn't ignoring you, I was just thinking."

"Oh." Wilson said with a bit of a nod. It went to show just how much he had gotten used to spending all his spare time with House. He wasn't used to quiet introspection as a response to a question.

After a little bit, Wilson decided to prod, "And?"

"Yes. And that is frightening. I probably don't need any more relationships like that." he mused, eyes turning cold and distant.

Wilson nodded. His father.... and Chase had never felt the approval. Wilson was willing to bet that Chase probably had gotten closer with House than with his own father. Which would have made the resounding THWACK of House's fist sound even worse. The oncologist looked at the bruise that still stood out and realized that it looked a bit swollen.

"Did you have someone look at that?" he gestured.

Chase looked down, golden locks hiding the expression in his eyes. "I did. I-I'm fine." Having said that he shuddered slightly and with a tremulous breath quickly turned and sneezed into the crook of his arm. "EiTchuh.... Chuh... heh....ehh..." then he sighed. He blinked twice, and was about to grab a Kleenex when his nose twitched slightly, he face grew long and he succumed to the last one "EiiiTchuh... hmmm....Pardon"

Wilson shook his head "Bless." then moved for the freezer.

"What are you doing?" questioned Chase.

"I'm going to put something on that." Wilson replied gesturing to Chase's jaw.

"B..but I told you." he started.

"I'm rather surprised that anyone thinks of you as a rat." Wilson quipped. "You are a lousy bluffer. Too transparent."

Chase gave a wry grin and nodded.

:lol: Well, what can I say? :laugh: I love it! Along with your other stories! :) (By the way, will you finish the Chase/Cameron one too? That was soo cute! And I definitely want to know what happens next :D )

I like the making them both sick idea :laugh: keep writing! :blushing:

TMA---

Very nice chapter. I was wondering how you would add to what you already had here. I am sooo impressed by those who can write fanfic so competely in character that it draws me in (regardless of the SF aspect). Thanks so much for your talent and effort. I really enjoy your writing.

--QS

Nice fic! I like your writing style- flows very nicely. I'm not really familiar with that show enough to know the characters, but it's good to know that I'm not the only fic-writer who tends to have alot of plot stuff before the sneezes start :huh:

Thanks so Much for the wonderful compliments- I realise that this particular fic. more leans toward the fanfic. side, but I am So glad that some people are enjoying this regardless.

Oh... I am going to Try to write more for both this and the Chase/Cameron one.

• 8 months later...

omg... it has been Forever since I posted in this. I finished it up about a month or so ago- but lost the notebook... :D Yes... I'm a dork.

The younger man shrugged, but allowed the ice pack to be pressed against his face. There was a sharp inhale as the initital coldness stung.

Chase watched from the corner of his eye as Wilson's features transformed into his "clinic face". Brown eyes cooly assessing, keen mind taking in, weighing, compiling and discarding facts, as his fingers lightly flitted over the site, appraising as they went.

"Well... nothing appears broken."

Chase gave Wilson a look. The older man sighed and held up his hands in a gesture of surrender. "I know... I know... you already told me it was fine." He paused, "I... I'm sorry."

The blonde shook his head, knowing what Wilson was trying to get at with the apology. "Not your fault."

Wilson shook his head and put it into his hands. "I... I should have seen it coming. It shouldn't have gone this far." He stared out as if he was seeing something in the distance. He sat contemplatively for a full minute and then reached for the tissues, and walked away from the couch. His eyebrows rose and he held the tissues in his cupped hands. He brought them up slowly to his face, as his head tipped back. "Huh... ReiChuh... EiShuh... ReiiiShuh... ugh god.. excuse me."

Chase nodded, then seemed lost in thought, holding his mug and biting down slightly on his lower lip.

"What?" questioned Wilson gently. He started to reach a hand out to lay it on Chase's shoulder, but then stopped himself. Boundaries were important to Wilson, and he knew that they were even more important to Chase.

The young intensivist looked nervous, of what, Wilson wasn't sure.

"I... I'm not sure."

Wilson tried peering into Chase's blue-green eyes, as if searching out secret truths. Then a light of understanding sparked in his own brown eyes. "You wanted to ask me something," he said, more as a statement than a question.

Chase nodded slowly, held up a hand "Eichuh... Chmpt... heeeeh... EiChmpt... pardon." He looked down at his lap. "Did he..." he trailed off, shaking his head as if annoyed with himself for even beginning to ask. With a throaty chuckle he waved the would be question away. "Sorry... cold is muddling my brain. I'm going to call it a night; you are welcome to crash on the couch."

Wilson was fairly certain that Chase had been trying to ask him about Rowan. The oncologist ran a hand through his hair. Obviously the younger man had closed off the conversation and aside from the fact that Wilson didn't want to push it, he also didn't feel like it. He stifled a yawn and picked up his clothing. "Thanks. I'll get out of your way and let you sleep."

A golden brow lifted at that statement. "It's coming down again pretty good." then noticing Wilson's uncertainty added, "It'll take me like two minutes to set you up out here. You can take off first thing in the morning. Un...unless you have some place that you wanted to be." Chase offered up the belated thought.

Wilson shook his head and sniffed thickly. "Nowhere to go." His voice rose and trembled on the last word. He pitched forward with two harsh sets of doubles. "Sorry." he apologised and wiped at his eyes. "If it's not a problem. Thank you." he offered head hung sheepishly.

A smile tugged at the corners of Chase's mouth, and he started getting things ready. "No problem. I am glad that you stopped by."

Wilson's brow lifted, "Misery loves company?"

Chase gave a light chuckle, "Something like that."

Wilson tucked himself under the blankets and said goodnight, and Chase retired to the bedroom.

Wilson fell asleep listening to the sound of the rain. And for the first time that day he felt some peace. Not a deluded peace where all cares are gone, but a calm, a respite from the storm. Tomorrow there would be problems to be sure, but for tonight there was some comfort and a dry place to rest.

~Fin

Oh I'm so lucky! That was beautiful and I'm not sure I had seen it before.

I can just imagine the pair of them.

*sighs*

tma you're an :D

Completely melted now.

THose two together are just perfection.

I love how you show their little dance that I'm seeing in them; both of them wanting to get closer to the other, but at the same time afraid to.

Utter perfection...but you knew that already :D

Archived