Sneeze Fetish Forum

Question about sneezing reflex...

The Dude

OK, I've just recently dicovered this, and was curious whether or not anyone else has as well.

I was discussing this with a friend, and lately I've noticed if I stare at something really intently... say, for example, a spot on the wall or a point in the distance... that 9 times out of 10 it will trigger a sneeze. Sometimes even a double or triple, depending on the intensity of my focus. At first I thought it was just an OCD thing, but I found that if I really latch onto something with my eyes and gaze at it without allowing anything to disrupt my concentration, it's an almost surefire "hands-free" inducing method.

So, am I nuts or is there a valid physiological explanation for all this?

Inquiring minds and all that.....

J

Added sidenote: it works particularly well with letters on the screen. Could have something to do with the brightness of the monitor...

I think the effect you're describing is related to the photic sneezing reflex; staring intently at an object creates strain in the ocular muscles, triggering the same feedback loop as sudden exposure to bright light. This is just a theory, but it seems to make sense. Now all I have to do is find something to stare at!

Um, I was going to say what shy guy said, because I remember you being photic, J!! :( Can you come stare at MY computer screen for awhile? :P I do wish that worked for me. I know that if I have a stuck one, I can sometimes use a bright light to get it to come out, so maybe I'll try staring at my monitor next time. ;)

That is really interesting! I seriously just tried staring at a spot on the wall for like 10 minutes before I responded to this thread ... so clearly I have no life :laugh: . It didn't work for me, unfortunately, but I am not photic. I bet there is some sort of connection between photic sneezing and this staring method like Sneesee and shy guy suggested.

Um, I was going to say what shy guy said, because I remember you being photic, J!! :laugh: Can you come stare at MY computer screen for awhile? :P I do wish that worked for me. I know that if I have a stuck one, I can sometimes use a bright light to get it to come out, so maybe I'll try staring at my monitor next time. :yes:

It's also a good way to toast your corneas, but hey, whatever works! :laugh:

And yes, I am about as photic as can be, so shy guy's explanation definitely makes sense. Thanks for all the input!

Archived