Sneeze Fetish Forum

Hay Fever Queen Contest

TN1

Hi all, I was researching some old newspaper articles looking for some hay fever references when I stumbled onto a reference to an actual hay fever contest. Apparently, a group of hay fever sufferers in the late 1930's and early 1940's who would go to Galveston Texas for relief from ragweed started a contest to find the "prettiest hay fever sufferer" and crown her queen! They later added a King, Princess, Duchess and youngest hay fever sufferer title. As I researched more, I found some photos of the contestants (some quite attractive) and even a reference to a 1954 contest which was televised on the local TV station! Sadly this tradition died out with the ending of hay fever clubs in the US in the late 50's!

The articles really don't specify. However in the promotional photos that I viewed, the contestants were photographed in the midst of a sneeze. I did find a reference to a "hay fever sneezing contest" from 1936, however I found no photos of the event or the results of the contest.

Hi all, I was researching some old newspaper articles looking for some hay fever references when I stumbled onto a reference to an actual hay fever contest. Apparently, a group of hay fever sufferers in the late 1930's and early 1940's who would go to Galveston Texas for relief from ragweed started a contest to find the "prettiest hay fever sufferer" and crown her queen! They later added a King, Princess, Duchess and youngest hay fever sufferer title. As I researched more, I found some photos of the contestants (some quite attractive) and even a reference to a 1954 contest which was televised on the local TV station! Sadly this tradition died out with the ending of hay fever clubs in the US in the late 50's!

,,, blame it on a simple twist of fate :bleh:

Is it possible for anyone to actually scan and post the matter(alongwith photos) online?

We don't permit the posting of copyrighted materials on the forum. I imagine if it was published in a newspaper or a magazine that they still hold copyright on past publications.

yes, Lynne is right, and with the way all the media outlets are about copyrights, it wouldn't be worth the risk :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well...

I'm not 100% on this (if I remember, I'll try and find some research to back me up on this) but I BELIEVE that copyrights on publications (I -know- this applies to plays and books, but I'm not sure about other publications) only extend fifty years from registration. So, something from 1944 would be fair game to post. :sleep2:

Copyright law is a bit different for media such as journal, magazine & newspaper articles. Some publishers retain the copyrights until they go out of business, some let them lapse. It would depend on the publisher in question.

Of course, you could always apply for permission to reproduce it.

Archived