Sneeze Fetish Forum

Use your handkerchief!

allergyboy2001

My goodness, the writer is indeed passionate, but of course I agree 100%. Although the letter is quite old (1904), it is still relevant today. It almost makes me want to run for public office; my platform would be, "A handkerchief in every pocket, and covering every sneeze!" And just think of the residual benefits: every major department store would have amply stocked displays of fine quality handkerchiefs.

Talking about stores, it reminds me of another old article I read a long time ago, maybe also from the New York Times archives. It was in the time of the "blue laws" (restrictions on what could be bought on Sundays). A man walked into a store and bought a handkerchief, and was promptly arrested by a policeman. In court, he successfully argued that a handkerchief was, in fact, a necessity, and so he should have been allowed to buy it. The judge agreed, particularly given other laws such as the anti-spitting law.

In court, he successfully argued that a handkerchief was, in fact, a necessity, and so he should have been allowed to buy it.

Makes sense to me!

• 4 years later...