Sneeze Fetish Forum

Author Appeal

Bondi

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AuthorAppeal

This link has nothing to do with sneezing whatsoever and there is no mention of it; it goes over more common fetishes.

But I was reading some of the examples and it made me wonder if one could come up with all of these ideas based on what certain authors like to have a lot of in their works. I'm not talking about an author who might have one one line saying someone sneezed in a 300-page book and then that is never mentioned again, but someone who actually embellishes and goes into great detail about the sneezing even if its not really relevant to the work. So should a sneeze fetish author be careful about that? Or then again a lot of these examples herein are rather blatant and extreme, so who knows?

• 10 months later...

Definitely. :) As someone who aspires to be a writer/author when he grows up, I myself will have to have... um... self-discipline in that kind of situation. :lol:

There's a few you see occasionally. Obviously if a character has a cold and its a plot element then fair enough. Or if a character has to go shopping for underwear, thats fair enough. But, for example, many of R. L. Stine's "Goosebumps" series have sneezes in them, to my memory exclusively from females. In one case, the sneeze is completely irrelevant and simply happens as a character wwalks into a room. No point in it at all.

I once had a discussion with Lambourghini about whether he had the fetish. I'm willing to believe that certainn authors put certain things in their writing that they themselves find interesting or appealing but which the average person would simply skim over.

a certain supernatural author, Kim Harrison write an incredible amount of sneezing into her works. She uses it as the way the main character knows that the demon is trying to contact her from the other dimension. Its rather well done, and there is a large amount of it in both of her last two novels. I've also found a few instances of colds and allergies in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. it seems to be something that authors use for a plot device, or as a way to introduce the hurt-comfort element.

i really think that for most readers, its not a big deal, or anything that they would fixate on as "omg... author has weird obsession." it just seems to be so prominant in our own minds...

ooh! ive wondered about this a lot! anyone ever read the fullmetal books? no tthe manga, but the ones that are ritten by makoto inoue? im pretty sure its in The Valley of Wite Petals (third one?) that Ed is hiding from this girl, and its dark (theyre in a cave) and shes standing in front of him, gives up her search, and turns to leave- her hair brushing ed's face. the author writes a longer-than-usual buildup to ed's sneeze and i LOVED it. :drool: it was soooo cute-

and has anyone else been noticing that ed sneezes a lot more often in the manga now?

I think that there has to be a balance between the actual writing and the fetish material. As much as I love writing sneeze fics, I also do some other non-fetish stuff. On occasion, a part of me will want to throw in a sneeze here or there, but I can never make it work the way I wanted it to originally. Also, even when writing fetish stories, I make sure that the sneezing does not dominate the plot completely. I just can't make it feel right whenever I do that.

Archived