Sneeze Fetish Forum

Both Sides Now - House MD fanfic - (2 Parts)

Guest upturned_palms

Guest upturned_palms

House MD. None of the characters are mine, obviously and sadly.

Characters: House and Cuddy for now, Wilson to come, and possibly the team as well if I feel like it.

Pairings: House and Cuddy, though more subtly than anything, and maybe Chase and Cameron to come.

So, onwards...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Cuddy had woken up that morning and wished for the day to fast-forward so that soothing night could come around again. Her head was aching, and nose was blocked, and already she cxould feel the faint stirrings of a tickle somewhere near her septum. It had taken a hell of a lot of willpower to force herself up and into a grey shift dress and heels. The journey to the car had been just as traumatic, and when she'd reached worked she quickly ensconced herself in her office, stomach baulking at the thought of food. Though she'd had hopes of disappearing for the day, the hospital wasn't exactly cooperating. Aside from her 12.00 meeting, she found a file on her desk, with a Post-It simply reading "We give up, take it to House." And that's when she'd found herself walking briskly down the corridor which led to the diagnositics department. Of course, now she was here there was nothing to be done but to enter the lair. Cuddy just didn't feel up for a sparring match.

She took a deep breath, and entered his office. He didn't even look up from his videogame, which continued to emit soft bleeps as he greeted her.

"Hello, evil mistress. And to what to I owe the honour? It's not often that us real doctors are confronted with the presence of-"

"House, not in the mood" Cuddy snapped, giving a sharp sniff which she hoped could pass as irritation. "Got a patient, sixteen year old boy, complaining of... complain... Heh'KNX! Knx... complaining of abdominal pains and-"

"You're sick." It wasn't a question. House had discarded his game, and was sitting back in his chair, assessing her calmly. Cuddy flushed slightly. She'd quickly stifled the sneezes she could no longer fight off, though it had caused the pounding in her head to intensify, and the last had been almost inaudible. But she might as well have tried to slip a string of bikini models past House; it would have been just as ineffective. Still, she had a job to do, and you didn't get to be Dean of Medicine by being pathetic.

"I'm fine. Abdominal pains are accompanied by partial-complex seizures, though the MRI showed us his brain is-"

"You're sick. You don't have allergies, your eyes are red, you're pale and-"

"Whatever House, I'm sure you can read the file all by yourself." Cuddy stalked over to his desk and tossed it down, turning on her heel with as much dignity as she could muster. "I don't have time for your stupid games today, I've got a meeting in an hour." She almost felt bad as she slammed the door, but holding in her sneezes was becoming increasingly difficult, and soon she would be leaving him in no doubt as to the true nature of her condition. In truth, she had been feeling progressively worse all morning, and as she stepped into the mercifully empty elevator she gave in to two more wet sneezes.

"Heh-KNX! Heh-KNXT!" Or three. "Hh'IFFSCHH!" She failed the stifle the last one, containing it in a hastily procured tissue and following it with a quick nose blow. She groaned softly, and the quickly plastered on a neutral expression as the elevator doors slid open at the foyer. She'd go back to her office, and hopefully be able to pull herself together before the board meeting.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

House was still at his desk, idly tossing his ball from hand to hand, Cuddy's file resting upon a pile of papers and all but forgotten. Cuddy didn't get sick. Well, she must do he supposed... but thinking about it, he couldn't recall it actually happening before. He stood up, and with a quick glance to his right to ensure that the team were still preoccupied in the lab and not lounging about in the office, House left and set off for the elevator. It wasn't long before he was leaning against the Nurses' Station in the Clinic, impervious to all the death glares that came his way. He was staring intently through the glass doors of Cuddy's office when one irate nurse went as far as to clear her throat pointedly.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, am I in the way?!" House feigned extreme contrition, not something which came naturally to him. "See the thing is, I'm conducting a scientific observation. Standard proceedure. Important doctor stuff. You wouldn't understand. So it seems there's nothing to be done." She rolled her eyes and walked off, leaving House to his task. Cuddy looked... well, not much like the poised and capable Cuddy he was so well acquainted with.

Cuddy was feeling neither poised nor capable. She was completely unaware of House lurking nearby, and was trying in vain to prepare for the board meeting a mere ten minutes away. But she had kicked off her heels and curled her feet underneath herself and wrapped herself in her heavy winter cardigan, which she'd grabbed from the coat stand. The box of tissues she kept on her desk was running low, and her little trashcan was overflowing with the spent ones. Though she hated to admit it, even to herself, she couldn't go five minutes without sneezing. Cuddy grabbed another tissue as House walked in.

"H... House... what are you... heh... doing... HEHT-chmph! HEH-KNX! HEH'CHIESCH-ah!" Cuddy flushed bright red, and buried her face in the tissue, quickly wiping her nose and fighting off the urge to blow it. "Edcuse be. What are you doing here?"

"Blow your nose. I'm not spending the next ten minutes trying to decipher you, especially when I have the feeling we're about to disagree. You are sick." Cuddy, feeling like crawling into a hole and curling up in embarassment, grabbed a handul of tissues and blew her nose, as quickly and as quietly as she could.

"House, honestly, it's just an allergy or something, I feel fine."

"Allergy to what, exactly? Unicorn hair? Fairy dust? Feel free to make up your own ridiculous answers, I feel like I'm doing all the work here."

"It's... it must be a new allergy..." Cuddy trailed off, sounding weak even to herself. She felt an insistent tickle deep in her nose and tensed, dreading the outcome. "I'm going to the baord meeting, you get the team together and and figure out what the hell is wrong with that patient." Just as she was congratulating herself for making it through the order without sneezing, the tickle became unbearable. "Heht-KNXT!" She stifled quickly into her hands, and avoided House's gaze as she gathered the files on her desk and prepared to stand. "I'll see you later..."

"Cuddy, don't even..." House trailed off as Cuddy stood and immediately went ashen and closed her eyes. He could see her swaying and, as quickly as his leg would allow, he moved forward and put a steadying hand on her arm. He could feel her shaking and winced inwardly. This was not his forte. "Come and sit down, before you fall down," he ordered gruffly. She hesitated for a moment, but eventually leaned into him. The pair shuffled to the couch, where Cuddy collapsed back into the cushions, letting out... was that a whimper? House stood over her. Her eyes were still closed.

"House, I... I think I'm going to-" The tissues were in her hand before she finished the sentence, and she waited for a few torturous seconds before stifling another sneeze. "Heh-CHUMPH!" Her head began to spin, and she opened her eyes and blinked at House blearily.

"Don't stifle them." He sat down heavily on the chair opposite her. "It'll only make your headache worse."

"How did you know I-"

"You wince whenver you try to hold in a sneeze and you're freakishly pale. It's not a good look." Cuddy rolled her eyes at the insult, finally becoming more at ease in his presence. After all, she had seen him at his worst, and it was just a cold. Probably just a cold.

"It's not a measly little cold, it's the killer flu that's been going round. Seen it enough times lately in the Clinic, with all the morons who try to infect us goodly, humanitarian doctors."

Cuddy assumed an expression of shock. "You've been in the Clinic? When was this? I'll alert the press." The nonchalant banter was spoiled somewhat when she began to cough, deep, wracking coughs that shook her small frame and doubled her over. House was by her side in an instant, the bottle of water from her desk in his hand. She muttered her thanks as she choked down a mouthful, then lay back on the couch with her dark curls falling over her face. House settled himself on the couch next to her.

"You're not going to the meeting." She tried to protest, but stopped in shock as House lay a surprisingly gentle hand on her forehead. Instinctively, she leaned into his touch and sighed. He frowned. "You're hot."

"Why, thank you," Cuddy retorted. "But I'm not sure you can see my ass from there." He rolled his eyes in response, fighting a small smile.

"For your information, I can see your boobs, no problem. Secondly, you've got a temperature. And you're shivering." She tried to stop as soon as he said it, but he knew it was true. "You're going home."

"House, I-"

"I'll drop by the board meeting. I'm sure they won't mind your absence. I can be very... persuasive. You know, with my quick wit and soaring rhetoric. And nice hard cane." Cuddy blanched at the thought of House's intervention.

"That really won't be necessary, not that I don't appreciate the gesture."

"I'll only leave them alone if you go home."

"That doesn't make-"

"It makes perfect sense, don't try it." Cuddy couldn't be bothered to argue. In truth, she wanted nothing more than to lie down. And she felt another sneeze readying itself for an assualt. She picked up a tissue in preparation, curling away from House out of politeness.

"Don't stifle, I mean it. I don't need you whining in pain."

"Hpt-ISHOOO!" She couldn't have stifled it if she tried, as the sneeze was big enough to make her eyes water.

"Blow," House ordered, sounding almost... gentle? She did, though quietly and still turned away from him. When she was done she turned back, and House felt a little twinge as her looked at her reddened nose, teary eyes and dishevelled hair. It was almost like... sympathy? Without another word, her got up and tossed Cuddy her coat and bag. She struggled into the former, eyes downcast, her cheeks the only place color was left on her face.

"Bye House." Cuddy stood up, fighting the wave of dizziness with a bright smile, though she had the feeling he wasn't fooled. "And... y'know, thank you."

He raised an eyebrow. "Hey, this was a completely selfish act. If you're not here, I can do whatever the hell I want without you chirping in my ear about regulations, the CDC or the damn FDA." But he touched her elbow as her artfully steered her out of her office, flicking the lightswitch with his cane and leaving the room in darkness. "Later, Cuddy." They parted at the doors, and House stood, watching her as she crossed the carpark. She stopped for a moment, shoulders cringing as she muffled two sneezes into her hands, snatching a tissue from her pocket afterwards. He couldn't hear her, but he could see the exhaustion in her normally brisk gait as she fought her way to her car. He watchedly, thoughtful, as she drove away.

TBC

I hope you like it! It's my first story, which I didn't mention at the beginning, but I'm saying it now, so be kind to me! More to come if people are interested. Let me know what you think.

Guest upturned_palms

Argh, just reading back over this I've noticed about 6 mistakes, but I can't edit the post for some reason. Either I don't have that privilege or I am being incredibly thick. Probably the latter. Anyway, sorry.

Great fic!!!!!!! Love sick Cuddy...and hoping to perhaps see a sick House somewhere along the line...? Looking forward to more either way.

And you can't edit because you're a 'new member'. I think you have to make a certain number of posts first...so you're not being thick. Incredibly or otherwise.

Guest upturned_palms

Awh, thank you guys! Will definitely keep Cuddy up, but there is still scope for it spreading :) We'll see, it's kind of dependent on requests!

• 2 weeks later...

Oooo... House *and* Cuddy and you *Know* what would make my day- the third member of the "trio" has to catch it too. :) Pleeeeeeease *bats eyelashes*

At any rate- will definately check in with this.

• 6 months later...
I just found out that the season finale will be called 'Both Sides Now'! Spooky coincidence?!

Oooo... Of course in my evil little mind that means that House/Wilson/Cuddy as a "One True 3" will become offical. :laugh:

Yeah... I know... it won't happen- but I can dream. :stretcher: lol!

• 3 months later...

This is a fantastic story, and I think you got the characters dead on! I love when House shows his caring side!

"You know, with my quick wit and soaring rhetoric. And nice hard cane."

I laughed so hard when I read that because it sounded so much like House in my head :omg:

Guest upturned_palms

Thanks guys! I suppose I could continue if there's interest... as soon as I get a bit of privacy. Actually, that's likely to happen this Friday, so I'll try and get it updated then! :omg:

Guest english_murder_victim

Fantastic! I'd given this story up for abandoned months ago, quite wonderful to see it make a resurgence. Any chance we could get some Cameron action, and a bit more Cuddy?

Guest upturned_palms

Okay, as requested, I’ve continued for a bit! Apologies if it’s a bit awful – I’m no writer, and am somewhat out of synch. Also, as much as I am completely open to taking requests, I’m afraid there’s not going to be any Cameron – just a personal preference. However, anything else you want, please let me know!

I might as well point out that, in my head, this is set early Season 5 – Cuddy is still hurting from her first potential adoption falling through, but we haven’t got into Rachel or all the House drama at the end of the season.

I may or may not have stolen the medical stuff from an episode. :razz:

Here we go…

‘It’s got to be thyroid storm.’

‘Thyroid storm? Are you kidding? Have you actually read the file? The hormone panel was normal.’

‘Actually, unlike you I have seen the file, and noticed that her TSH was on the low side.’

‘Her CPK enzymes aren’t high enough, potassium’s what you’d expect, it’s not thyroid storm!’

Taub and Thirteen stopped, cases presented, and automatically turned to House, arbiter of all such disputes. He was standing, as he often did, staring out onto the monochrome day and spinning his cane absently through his fingers. However, whilst this was the point at which he would normally turn and shoot someone down, today his feet remained planted, eyes towards the horizon, inexplicably absorbed by the lightly falling rain. Foreman leaned forward.

‘Uh, House? Can we get a ruling on this one?’

He turned, slowly, still lost in thought. Then he placed the tip of his cane on the ground with a decisive thud.

‘Endocrinology issue. Need an endocrinology expert. Try not to let whatshername die, will you? That’d be just peachy.’ And with that, he’d snatched the blue case file from Thirteen’s unprotesting hands and was out of the door.

Cuddy was woken from her sleep by a restrained, but relentless and rhythmic, knocking. She moved only her eyes, re-orientating herself and trying to calm her spinning head. Slowly, she took in the piles of crumpled tissues, assorted empty mugs and general snowdrift of random paraphernalia that surrounded her. Half covered by a thin blanket, her legs were clad in her biggest and most comfortable pyjama bottoms, her top half ensconced in an over-sized sweater, yet she shivered. After another few seconds, the knocking began to impact on her consciousness, and she realised there was someone, and someone rather persistent, at her door.

She groaned lightly. The thought of getting up was somewhere on par with climbing Mount Everest. A liquid sniff set the ever-present tickle buzzing in her nostrils, and she took a deep, dreading breath before letting herself sneeze freely. ‘Hhhh… Iggghshhoo! Hpt-ISHH-OOO!’ Her head pounded. Steeling herself, she stood slowly, feeling white fuzz play at the corners of her vision. As quickly as she could, considering the circumstances, she made for the door.

‘Alright, okay, I’m coming,’ Cuddy managed to croak, as she pulled it open. She was met by a calm, composed, rain speckled House.

‘Ohh god,’ she thought. ‘Oh please no. Not while I’m like this.’ Cuddy was suddenly hugely conscious of her smudged makeup and reddened nose, her dishevelled hair and ever-growing need to sneeze. But he stood there, patient, taking her in calmly.

‘Got a patient.’ His voice was level. ‘Female, flu-like symptoms, lives alone, answers to the name of… well, I’m not sure what she gets up to in her private life, but I tend to call her evil bureaucracy incarnate. Or, y’know… Cuddy.’

She rolled her eyes, no mean feat considering that it made her head throb even more. All she had to do was keep herself together. No vulnerability; she knew he zeroed in on people’s weak spots.

‘House, it’s not precisely the best -’ Cuddy was cut off by a sudden catch in her throat and a resulting harsh fit of coughing. ‘Great. Just great. Now I look and sound like a plague victim and he’s never going to let me live it down.’ Unfortunately, she was finding it difficult to stop. Becoming breathless and dizzy, still coughing, she turned herself to the side and braced her arms against a small table in the hallway, head down and trying to steady herself. ‘Oh my god, I am so embarrassed. Please, flu, just kill me now and put me out of this misery.’ She began to shake from the prolonged standing and lack of air. And still, she could not stop coughing.

Suddenly, House’s steadying arm was at her waist, cane momentarily discarded. She stiffened in complete shock… then leaned into him, with nowhere else to go. His other hand came up to her back, and rubbed soothing circles there. Her nerve-ends all awakened suddenly at his touch. Slowly, surely, she began to catch her breath, and collapsed against him, exhausted.

‘Cuddy?’ His voice infringed on her dwindling consciousness. ‘Cuddy, this is not a rom-com. I am a somewhat inappropriate saviour. I’m going to have some physical issues sweeping you off your feet and gallantly carrying you over to the couch, so I guess you’re going to have to have some input.’

Nodding, barely, Cuddy called on her last reserves of energy. Together, they did a gentle shuffle towards the tissue-strewn couch, his arms supporting her frame the whole way. Finally, she sank down, and lost herself to unconsciousness.

House sat, on the armchair opposite the couch, surveying his surroundings with a slightly uncomfortable curiosity. He didn’t know why he’d come. Just that he knew that he wanted to. And House wasn’t a man to deny himself what he wanted. Cuddy lay, sleeping lightly, covered by the blanket. He had pulled it over her shoulders before lowering himself into the chair, uncomfortable with the scene, feeling out of place. Caring was not his forte. Kindness was not her forte.

With a sniff, Cuddy began to stir. House was alert, watching her. She moaned slightly, absent hand coming up to rub at her pinkening nose. Suddenly she tensed. Eyes still closed, she felt for the tissue box and grabbed one, thrusting it up to her nose just in time to catch the wet sneezes that ripped through her sinuses. ‘KSSSCHH! Hehh-KSSCH-OOO!’ Wincing, she opened her eyes.

‘House!’ The exclamation was hoarse, her eyes widening, taking in the scene. She sat up slowly, blanket slipping off her.

‘Hey, don’t forget, you let me in. No accusations of breaking and entering can be made here.’ But his voice was soft, matching hers, his eyes were clouded as he took her in. She was remembering, haltingly, cringingly… she’d collapsed against him. And sneezed in front of him. Twice. She reddened with embarrassment.

‘House, I… I know I look a mess, this is pretty disgusting…’ Cuddy stopped, shaking. She was cold and wrong-footed and, honestly, she felt like curling up and dying.

House noticed her shaking, her sawing breaths, watery eyes. Something in him finally took over.

‘I’ve seen worse’ he grunted. ‘I used to live with Wilson.’ And with that, he stood, moved across to the couch and sat beside her. ‘You’re freezing. Come here.’ Slow, uncertain, she leaned in to him. Her pulled the blanket back over her. Finally relaxing, her head came to rest against his chest. Still, she was shaking. And, dreadingly, she realised she had to sneeze.

‘HPT-knxt! HPT-KNXT! HehhhGHSHHH!’ The sneezes came quickly, uncontrollably, the last too big for her to stifle. She was still pressed against him. A slight moisture misted his shirt. Flushed with fever and shame, she tried to move away from him. ‘House, I’m sorry, I couldn’t -’

‘Shut up’ House cut her off, though not unkindly. He passed her the tissue box. Miserably, she took and handful, and blew her nose as quietly as she could. She was still shaking.

‘Cuddy?’ House gazed at her, curiosity frank in his eyes. ‘Cuddy, you’re not… are you crying?’

She gave an angry sniff, suddenly realising her cheeks were wet, sheeted with tears. ‘Go away House!’ Her voice was as strong as she could make it.

‘No.’

And with that, he pulled her shaking form close, where she finally collapsed into his chest. Her eyes closed. Slowly, his hand reached up, and calloused fingers began to rub soothing circles at her feverish temples. He began, haltingly, softly, to talk. She gradually drifted off to sleep, warmed, dreaming of the gentle, calming rain, the blurring wind, stars.

Awww, very sweet. So glad you updated, hope you do so again soon! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for House catching it now... :twisted:

Guest starlily23

Yay you updated!

A bit awful? HEAVENS :twisted:

Clearly you underestimate yourself.

I loved it, and am anxious to see where you are taking this.

*sends you cookies and privacy to update*

Archived