Sneeze Fetish Forum

I was called weird earlier tonight and I was wondering if I'm the only one....

krazykat

Whenever I chop onions, instead of reacting with watering eyes and crying, the fumes tend to work their way deep into my sinuses and I end up sneezing, and by sneezing I mean very loud, ear shattering sneezes that leave me bent double at the waist.

My SO seems to think that this is an extremely weird reaction to chopping onions and I think that it isn't... so am I alone in this?

Whenever I chop onions, instead of reacting with watering eyes and crying, the fumes tend to work their way deep into my sinuses and I end up sneezing, and by sneezing I mean very loud, ear shattering sneezes that leave me bent double at the waist.

My SO seems to think that this is an extremely weird reaction to chopping onions and I think that it isn't... so am I alone in this?

I kind of have the same reaction. I do get the whole crying thing, but my nose always really tickles, but I very rarely sneeze. Must say, I'd rather any kind of sneezing than the eye thing, the other day mine stung for about 2hrs afterwards...

So in conclusion I don't think you're weird :(

Nope, most definitely not! Every single time I chop them (which happens to be not all that often, since onions don't often fit into a university student's budget lol) instead of getting the waterey eyes, it irritates my nose... which usually leads to at least a couple sneezes. Maybe not comperable to yours in volume (winks), but you're definitely not the only one.

I don't think you're weird...i'm jealous :( Much rather sneeze than have burning eyes for hours after...I can't even see the onions through tears after a minute or so of chopping them x_x

Would you please come chop some onions at my house?

Seriously, though, I too often sneeze when chopping onions, so I don't think it's weird at all.

I didn't think it was that weird, but he's not the only one to comment on it as being strange and I was beginning to think that it was!

You're not exactly local to me so will pass on the dinner invite!

Would you please come chop some onions at my house?

Seriously, though, I too often sneeze when chopping onions, so I don't think it's weird at all.

The fumes from something like that would affect people in different ways. Obviously your sinuses are pretty sensitive.

But a mid-twenties Scottish lady with shattering sneezes? That's not weird, that's cool.

Shyguy and myself will fetch onions and book a flight to Glasgow. :(

There is a way to avoid this...... (crying eyes...etc...)

I was on a cooking course some years ago and a woman asked the instructor why onions make people cry (or sneeze in some cases).

The instructor said to stop this - simply put your onion in the fridge. If you get up in the morning and you know you will need an onion for that nights dinner put it in a bag in the fridge...... when you get it out later to chop it you won't get watery eyes. don't ask me how this works, but it does - I've tried it myself! :rudolph2:

There is a way to avoid this...... (crying eyes...etc...)

I was on a cooking course some years ago and a woman asked the instructor why onions make people cry (or sneeze in some cases).

The instructor said to stop this - simply put your onion in the fridge. If you get up in the morning and you know you will need an onion for that nights dinner put it in a bag in the fridge...... when you get it out later to chop it you won't get watery eyes. don't ask me how this works, but it does - I've tried it myself! :rudolph2:

I disagree.... my onions live in the fridge all the time and I still react to them as does my SO... although unfortunately for me his reaction does not include sneezing. The other thing that is supposed to work is washing the onion in cold water before chopping it but that doesn't work for me either.

It's the sulfur in the onions that irritates your eyes and sinuses. If you light a small candle and place it next to your cutting board, it will burn off the sulfur before it can get close enough to your face to bother you :)

It happened to my dad every single time until I told him about the candle thing :drool:

The "wash in cold water first" thing - the way I heard it, you were supposed to peel them while the onion was still underwater. So I took it a step further and cut them underwater too :drool: Most wonderful thing I've ever done cooking-wise...hehe

I don't think it's weird. I've been known to sneeze if there's a lot of garlic in a dish. I remember this one time, in an Italian restaurant. . . . but that's another story for another day. :drool:

It's the sulfur in the onions that irritates your eyes and sinuses. If you light a small candle and place it next to your cutting board, it will burn off the sulfur before it can get close enough to your face to bother you :)

It happened to my dad every single time until I told him about the candle thing :drool:

def. the best solution

It is definitely not weird. I remember a sneeze video from a long time ago that included a women who had significant sneezing fits while chopping onions.

So it is at least common enough to be a sneeze inducer in some videos.

Nope, most definitely not! Every single time I chop them (which happens to be not all that often, since onions don't often fit into a university student's budget lol) instead of getting the waterey eyes, it irritates my nose... which usually leads to at least a couple sneezes. Maybe not comperable to yours in volume (winks), but you're definitely not the only one.

Hmm, I know a place close by me that sells onions for 49 cents a pound all the time.

Oh and KK

If you can get them in Scotland, try Vadilia Onions. Their really sweet and are much easier on the eyes.

Problem is, their only grown in the U.S. in one and only one state (By trademark law) Georgia.

Vidalia onions :) They're the only onions I can eat raw, but I love all onions sliced and sautéed... especially on a nice roast pork sandwich!

Archived