Sneeze Fetish Forum

odd responses to blessings

sneezedreamer

So, I never used to bother blessing people (it just wasn't and isn't done in my family), but in the past several years that's changed. Many of my friends bless others, and I enjoy blessing and being blessed. Most people respond with a simple "thank you", or ignore it, which I think is rude. But, I know a few people who say other things...

"I need all the help I can get."

"My soul does need saving, doesn't it?"

"Don't bother, I'm already going to hell."

I know they're trying to be funny, but for some reason these responses kind of irk me and I find myself wishing they would just say "thanks" and move on. I usually force a laugh because I don't know how to respond. I don't know why it annoys me, but it does. Maybe I should start saying ghesundheit?

So, my question for all of you...did anyone ever respond to a blessing of yours in an unusual way? Did you ever respond to a blessing in an unusual way? How did the you or the blesser react?

Never happened to me, but those responses sure sound funny to me! :D But if it bothers you, just try to ignore it, I guess. It can't happen too often, can it? :blink:

Never happened to me, but those responses sure sound funny to me! :omg: But if it bothers you, just try to ignore it, I guess. It can't happen too often, can it? :D

LOL. :blink: No, it doesn't happen too often...but the people I know who say this say it a lot, and the humor has kind of worn off for me. I guess the reason it annoys me is then I feel awkward about having blessed them in the first place...like I'm the odd one. I'm not sure it that makes any sense. :blushing:

Never happened to me, but those responses sure sound funny to me! :omg: But if it bothers you, just try to ignore it, I guess. It can't happen too often, can it? :D

LOL. :blink: No, it doesn't happen too often...but the people I know who say this say it a lot, and the humor has kind of worn off for me. I guess the reason it annoys me is then I feel awkward about having blessed them in the first place...like I'm the odd one. I'm not sure it that makes any sense. :blushing:

Perhaps the answer is just not to bless those people you know do it if it upsets you?

I don't know about that, but have you ever encountered self-blessers? Now that is odd. I've heard some people sneeze, then they'd go like "Bless me" or " Bless my soul" in a comedic way. Can't help but laugh at those.

Lamborghini

Never happened to me, but those responses sure sound funny to me! :blushing: But if it bothers you, just try to ignore it, I guess. It can't happen too often, can it? :D

LOL. :blink: No, it doesn't happen too often...but the people I know who say this say it a lot, and the humor has kind of worn off for me. I guess the reason it annoys me is then I feel awkward about having blessed them in the first place...like I'm the odd one. I'm not sure it that makes any sense. :omg:

Perhaps the answer is just not to bless those people you know do it if it upsets you?

Yeah, that's been the approach thus far, although I occasionally forget and bless them anyways. :blushing:

Good on you anyway for being brave enough to bless people when you didn't grow up with it. I find it insanely difficult to bless anybody apart from my immediate family.

i work in a very ethnically diverse university, and am often blessing people from other countries, many of which do not say "Bless you." I often get funny looks from them, but i cannot recall anyone saying anything in particular.

Guest Tootsie2008

I'm really uncomfortable about the blessing thing, but if I ever sneeze in public and someone says that, I'll just respond with a simple "thanks". ;) but thankfully I don't sneeze often at all, so I'm not generally in an uncomfortable situation like that. XD

I always say thank you and then clap three times after getting blessed. If you don't a fairy dies. :rolleyes: I know, it's kind of crazy, but when I heard about that, I knew it was too cute not to do!

As long as we're on the subject, I had a pretty embarrassing experience with blessing. This girl in my class sneeze, so I blessed her, and she didn't say anything back. I thought she hadn't heard me, so I said it louder. Well, it turned out she had heard me the first time and had thanked me, but I hadn't heard her. :laugh: To make things worse her friend got all defensive. "WTF? She said thank you! What is your problem?" :rolleyes:

The equivalent of "bless you" in Italian is "salute" ("health") and a reply that one sometimes gets is "magari!" (kind of "if only!") :P

Once I heard somebody being blessed with "salute" and replying "...che se ne va" ("...which is going away")

Italians are funny people!

I think the funniest thing that comes to mind from someone I've blessed was, "Trust me, it won't help."

He said it with a sniffle, and he was one of those "look at what a bad boy I am" (we were babies in college), so I always wondered if he meant he wasn't going to stop sneezing or he was too Bad for the blessing to take. :drool:

How about this one: somebody sneezes and the person next to them yells: AAACHHOOO!!!

This one is strange and irritating if you ask me.

I didn't think of that one! But yes, that is really strange, I've seen it happen before. It made me laugh at the time but it would probably get annoying REALLY fast.

Archived