If somebody sneezes and you bless them, what would you most like them to say: -

1. Thank you (the most traditional)

2. Thanks (a bit less formal)

3. Ta (is this in Britain only?)

4. Cheers (is this in Britain only?)

5. Nothing

6. Something else

And has anybody heard a response different to those listed above

I used to always prefer hearing number 1 but I quite like hearing number 2 now as well. And I get very frustrated by number 6!

:D

I like a "Thank you", preferably sounding a little embarrassed while still wanting to be polite. Mmm <3

Surprised no one said this yet... I'd take number six, with variations on "Wait, there are more coming". I like "Cheers", too, mostly because of the accent (I do think it's mostly British, yes).

I like "Thank you" or "Thanks" the best, but any sort of friendly acknowledgment of the blessing is fine. I'm really sort of put off by people who say nothing, although I know that some people really don't like blessings, so I do understand. As for myself, I always say either "Thank you", or sometimes, "Excuse me and thank you" if it was a really loud sneeze.

A stuffy or breathless sounding "Thank you" is amazing. Or an "Excuse me," those kill me.

I like "Thank you" or "Thanks" the best, but any sort of friendly acknowledgment of the blessing is fine.

Same here. Although I've had people say to me and I've actually said myself, "Gracias" :P

Ooh, nice topic.. I know an aussie who almost always offers a breathless "pardon" before sneezing number two.. THAT is hot :P

That. Sounds. Amazing.

I don't have a preferred response. There doesn't have to be a response in my opinion.

Although, of course, I would love a response where they talk about their sneeze: "Yeah, that sneeze just came out of nowhere."

Archived