Sneeze Fetish Forum

You Can't Always Get What You Want... - (2 Parts)

Dusty15

'You Can't Always Get What You Want...'

Harry Potter fandom, Remus and Sirius, PG

As suggested by two sneezefic bunnies...one by Targotgal: 'A character loves being the center of attention but hasn't felt that way in a while. So he does his best to catch a cold and use that to his advantage, thoroughly enjoying being fussed over'

and the other by Brigidm: 'Two boys in bed together with colds or both suffering with allergies "competing" to see who's worse off.' (this one to be featured in part two...)

Christmas holiday was rapidly approaching and all of Hogwarts was abuzz with anticipation. Peter’s trunk had been packed for a week already in preparation for the trip home and James rambled non-stop about the cousins he’d get to prank at the Potter family Christmas dinner. Even Remus was excited to leave, even though it’d be just him and his parents at their little countryside cottage.

Sirius, on the other hand, was downright dreading his impending time at home. Already on shaky ground with his parents, he’d been caught dueling with his younger brother in the hallway the previous week that resulted in a letter home and he had a particularly spectacular failure of a term essay owled off to get signed too. The thought of facing the wrath of Walburga Black was weighing heavily on him.

So, when a day before holiday hit and Sirius awoke late in the morning to the sight of a miserable, cold-infected Remus, he had an idea. The last time he’d been doted on and fussed over by his parents was when he had dragon-pox three summers ago. They’d forgiven his pranks on Regulus from the day before and served him soup in bed and dabbed lotion on his sores. If he went home for Christmas with a cold, they wouldn’t dare punish him! So what if he had to suffer for it? If he was going to be shut in his room for break anyway, he might as well have the attention that a cold brought rather than the banishment of grounding.

“Moony?” he said, peering over at his friend who sat propped up in bed by several pillows.

Remus turned, eyes glassy, and sniffed wetly.

“Bloody fucking hell,” he said, pawing angrily at his nose. “This year this is no moon remotely close to Christmas but oh no, I can’t get out of jail free. I’ve got to go and get a sodding cold. I swear, Sirius, this immune system of mine is shot. Completely gone.”

Sirius wasn’t particularly listening to the words, instead his head was turned and fishing in his nightstand for a clean handkerchief which he retrieved before bounding over to Remus’ side and sitting on his friend’s bed.

“Here,” he said, holding up the cloth.

“Thanks,” Remus said miserably, taking it and blowing his nose with a gurgling, slurping sound. He visibly cringed and turned the cloth over to a clean spot, dabbing away the excess moisture.

“Poor Moony,” Sirius cooed as Remus turned and buried his head in his arm, coughing hoarsely. Faking a sniffle of his own, Sirius took the handkerchief from Remus’ distracted hands and dabbed his own nose lightly before setting the sodden cloth aside.

Eht’schi!

Remus sneezed into his elbow and then transitioned back to coughing.

“I’m going to get you something to eat,” Sirius said cheerfully. “Rest.”

Remus slumped against the pillows, looking thoroughly uninterested in doing anything, let alone eating, but he nodded wearily and Sirius disappeared in the direction of the kitchens. He returned fifteen minutes later carrying a tray bearing a bowl of tomato soup and some crackers. Settling it on Remus’ lap, he watched the ill werewolf take several tentative spoonfuls.

“Is it good?” he asked, tugging the spoon from Remus’ grip and taking a spoonful for himself.

“Don’t use my spoon!” Remus said, trying to wrestle the utensil back. “You’ll get sick!”

“Don’t worry about me, Moony-boy,” Sirius said happily, popping the spoon in his mouth and tasting the soup. “I’ve got a perfectly capable immune system!”

The two boys alternated spoonfuls until the soup was gone and they set the tray aside with satisfied sighs.

“I’m going to sleep,” Remus said hoarsely, sliding down under the sheets. “Why don’t you go find Prongs and Wormtail?”

“I think I’ll hang out here,” Sirius said, tucking the comforter up over Remus as the boy turned and snapped his head into his pillow with a sharp, spraying sneeze.

Hehhhs’tschooo!

“Bless you,” Sirius said softly, settling down at Remus’ side with a book.

“Pads, are you trying to get sick?” Remus asked irritably, inching further away from his friend and shielding his face with his quilt.

“No,” Sirius replied, mocking offense. “Why would you say that? I can’t sit and watch over my ill friend? Please, Remus, how many times have you been sick and I’ve not so much as had a sniffle? I’ll be fine.”

What he didn’t mention was in the past he’d been very careful about washing his hands and avoiding sharing anything with Moony. Now, he was doing just the opposite.

“Don’t keep me awake then,” Remus croaked, head buried in his pillow. “I’ve got my History of Magic exam at three and I need to get better before then.”

“Right,” Sirius agreed. “Me too. Rest up, Moony.”

He watched Remus drift off to sleep, snoring congestedly, and sat reviewing his school notes until it was just after two and he gently shook Remus awake.

“Mate?” he said. “Better get up and get showered. We’ve got about an hour to the exam.”

Remus looked up wearily and moved slowly from the bed, shuffling to the bathroom with a volley of hoarse coughs into his arm. Sirius followed, taking the shower stall beside Remus’ and listening to a series of wet, exhausted sneezes that echoed from the tiled walls.

Ehtshiiiiii! Hehhhhtshiii! ‘tshiiii!

“Bless,” he called.

“Thanks,” came the whisper of Remus’ hoarse voice.

Side by side at the sinks, Sirius took his time shaving while Remus brushed his teeth and disappeared to get dressed. Sirius eyed Remus’ toothbrush for a moment before plucking it from its holder and squeezing a ribbon of toothpaste across it.

I can’t believe I’m doing this…” he thought as he put the brush in his mouth and began to work.

Teeth brushed and face smooth, Sirius dressed and met Remus down in the common room where the werewolf was waiting slumped in an armchair with a handkerchief clutched in his hand.

They walked together to the History of Magic classroom, students clearing a path to give way for Remus who was coughing dry, loud barks. Settled in their seats in class, Remus gave Sirius a pitiful look as the exam was handed out.

Sirius set to work, dutifully guessing at the dates of various goblin rebellions. Across the room, Remus had one hand propping up his head as the other scribbled away on his paper. Every few seconds the silence of the room was punctuated with a wet sniffle and the occasional soft cough. Finally, tiring of the interruption, a Slytherin in the back row slammed down his quill and raised his wand, flicking a silencing spell in the direction of Remus.

“I’ll take it off when the exam is done,” he hissed.

Sirius felt his temperature rise in anger but Remus merely nodded resignedly and continued to write.

Exams done and collected, Sirius rushed to his friend’s aid and removed the silencing spell.

“Thanks,” Remus said, gathering his things and pushing through the crowd of students back towards their dormitory. “I’m going back to bed.”

“Good idea,” Sirius said. “I’m gonna grab a bite to eat. See you later.”

He took dinner in the Great Hall and finished a term essay in the library (he was a good student when no one was looking…) before returning upstairs to the dorms, tired and ready to sleep again. Remus was already tucked in bed, still looking worse for wear. A half cup of tea still steamed on his bedside and Sirius crept up and took a sip.

There. He’d tried all day to get this bloody cold and if it hadn’t worked, so be it. Tucked in bed, he dozed off, not hearing James and Peter get back from their late Astronomy practical.

In the morning, he woke to Peter singing a Christmas carol and the sound of Remus’ voice begging him to shut it already. James was tossing things in his trunk from across the room. Sirius’ head ached a little and he smiled in triumph. This was the beginning of a cold.

“Cheers, mates!” he said happily, poking out from behind his bed hangings. “School is out, I declare!”

Remus was perched on the edge of his own bed, still in his pyjamas, sorting books into his trunk. His nose was scarlet and his sandy hair stuck up at all angles.

“Are you gonna make it, Moons?” he asked.

“I sure hope so,” Remus said with a half-smile. “I slept fourteen hours. I should have this damned thing kicked in no time.”

The boys deposited their packed trunks at the top of the stairs to be sent to the train and went to breakfast together before piling on the Hogwarts Express for the journey home. Remus sat, tucked against the window with his coat over him for a blanket, snoring and coughing in his sleep while the other three boys played a game of cards and watched the countryside pass. Half way through the journey, Sirius threw down his hand of cards and curled up on the train seat, dozing off too. His throat had begun to scratch and it hurt to swallow.

At King’s Cross, the boys disembarked, finding their trunks and saying their goodbyes. Sirius and Remus hugged quickly and as Sirius began to turn to leave, Remus grabbed his arm.

“Listen,” he said. “I know you weren’t thrilled about spending time with your family. If you need to get away, owl me. My mum said you’re always welcome, okay?”

Sirius smiled fondly at Remus.

“I suspect things’ll be just fine,” he said. His voice caught in his throat and he coughed to clear it.

“You okay?” Remus asked, retrieving his handkerchief to wipe his scarlet nose. “You’re not sick too, right?”

“Oh no,” Sirius said, putting on a false smile though he could feel his nose beginning to run. “Not at all. Have a happy Christmas, Moony.”

“Happy Christmas, Pads.”

They parted ways, Sirius spotting his parents near the exit waiting impatiently with his brother at their side.

“Coming, Sirius?” his father said sternly. “We’re late and I’ve got an important Floo at six-thirty.”

Sirius followed them silently to the fireplaces on the far side of the platform and Floo-ed home to Grimmauld where he disappeared into his room with his trunk and fell into bed, asleep.

He woke a few hours later to his mother’s voice and sharp knocking at his door. Groaning, he stumbled over and opened it.

“Sirius Black, you are home for five seconds and you lock yourself in here. Your father and I have some matters regarding your progress in school we need to discuss and then it is dinner time. You’re expected in the study in five minutes.”

Rubbing sleep from his eyes, Sirius leaned against the wall and took a sharp breath, his head pitching forward with a wet sneeze.

Tghhhhtt!

“Mum,” he said, sniffling miserably. “I’m sick.”

“You’re fine,” she said sharply. “Study, in five minutes.”

The door was shut in his face and Sirius stood, stunned. He felt ten times worse than when he’d first arrived and could hardly breathe through his nose. A steady, low fever burned and he felt too hot and too cold all at once.

Irritated, he slunk downstairs and into the study, sitting in one of the big leather armchairs with his legs tucked up. Shortly, his parents entered and sat on the sofa across from him, looking as stern and disappointed as if Sirius had committed a major crime.

“There were several owls this week,” his father began. “A failed paper and a notification for a detention served. Do you care to explain?”

Sirius looked down at the floor, a sneeze building as his breathing slowed and became hitched. He tucked his face into his elbow…

Ettttshhhh! Tshhiii!

“Sirius?” his father’s voice said.

“You aren’t even going to say ‘bless you’?” Sirius croaked, looking up with a streaming nose and glassy eyes.

“I’m asking you a question, Sirius.”

“And I’m asking you one,” Sirius snapped.

“Room, now,” his mother demanded. “No wireless, your Quidditch magazines are cancelled, and Kreacher will bring dinner to you later.”

“Mum!” he said incredulously. “I’m sick! Listen!”

He coughed painfully to demonstrate.

“I don’t care if you’re infected with Spattergroit,” she hissed. “You are being disrespectful and belligerent. Now, off you go.”

Cheeks burning, Sirius retreated upstairs and slammed his bedroom door behind him, hearing it lock magically. He flopped on his bed, coughing, and buried his face in his pillow, fighting back tears. They hated him! He’d hoped for their attention and again only got their discipline. Plan ruined, he was now sick and alone.

He put on his pyjamas and climbed into bed, ignoring Kreacher’s dinner delivery and falling asleep. When he woke, it was morning and outside, it poured a cold, winter rain. A tray of cold porridge was on his nightstand and he shoved it away angrily, the bowl clattering to the floor.

Retrieving a handkerchief from his dresser, he blew his nose loudly and it honked and honked until he was out of breath and coughing again. He could feel the tip turning red and chapped, and he tried again to clear the congestion to no avail. Thoroughly miserable and frustrated, he sat on his bed and stared out the window. Remus’ parents would no doubt be fussing over their son right now, making sure he took the right potions and delivering fresh handkerchiefs.

And then a new idea came to him. Remus had said he was welcome any time, right? Energy renewed, he went about packing a small satchel with his clothes and pyjamas before dressing himself in a thick jumper and slacks. Armed with a pocketful of hankies and an umbrella, he carefully lifted his window open and climbed out on the roof and down the trellis into the back garden. Ducking low to avoid view of the kitchen window, he crept out of the yard and to the street where he extended his wand arm and waited for a purple bus to come whizzing around the corner.

“Knight Bus!” the Steward declared and Sirius handed over his fare, asking for delivery to the Lupin cottage in south Wales. Settling into a seat with feverish brow pressed to the cool glass of the bus window, Sirius watched the streets zip by in colorful blurs as the bus sped towards the countryside.

To be continued...

• 4 weeks later...

Please continue that, this is so incredibly cute!

Poor Sirius!! He always was my facourite of the HP people....

I'm really begging you:

Please write more :D

• 1 month later...

Part Two!

At the Lupin home, Remus was tucked into bed in his room under more blankets than were probably necessary. His mother was an expert in fussing, having treated more than a lifetime’s share of injuries and illness in Remus’ eleven years as a werewolf. His father, always handy with charms, had enchanted a soft blue handkerchief to self-clean every fifteen minutes. It was quite a handy invention except when timed poorly by the user and pressed to the face at a scheduled scourging charm interval. Remus, nose already dabbed to a raw and painful pink, was now sporting a set of nostrils that glowed cherry red in contrast to his pale skin.

He was dozing with a half-empty cold cup of tea on his nightstand when the front door rang. It didn’t wake him and as he slept, his mother went to the front window and peered through the lace curtains.

Sirius was standing on the front steps huddled under an umbrella and looking thoroughly miserable. Mrs. Lupin opened the front door hurriedly and ushered him inside.

“Sirius!” she exclaimed. “Not the best weather to be out and about in. What brings you here? Remus is in bed sick, as I’m sure you know.”

Sirius was busy peeling off his soaked jumper and galoshes when he pitched forward unexpectedly with a congested Ehh’nxght!

“Bless you!” Mrs. Lupin said, taking the wet clothes from the boy. “You’ve caught it as well?”

“My mum and dad weren’t feeling very sympathetic,” Sirius croaked. “I feel like rubbish and I was hoping it’d be okay if I took the camp cot alongside Remus for a few days ‘til I’m better.”

“You can stay as long as you like, dear,” Mrs. Lupin said, putting a comforting hand on Sirius’ shoulder. “Let’s get you upstairs and into some warm pajamas. I’m sure Remus has a pair we can make fit.”

“I brought some,” Sirius said, holding up his bag.

“Wonderful. Run on upstairs and get changed and I’ll make you a pot of tea and bring some medicine. Alright, love?”

Sirius nodded, face glowing with a combination of fever and the joy of being cared for. He made his way upstairs without his usual manic energy and crept into Remus’ room. The curtains were drawn, blocking the small amount of sun peeking through the sleet-filled skies. Remus snored lightly, sprawled across his bed with a handkerchief discarded on his chest.

“Moony?” Sirius whispered, sinking into the side of the bed and lightly shaking his friend. “Remus?”

Remus stirred and looked up blearily.

“What’re you doing here?” he croaked.

“Thanks for the welcome,” Sirius quipped. “My mum and dad were being prats and I’ve got your cold. I figured it’d be okay if I came to camp out here. Don’t want to get the Potters ill and you’ve got it already. Your mum said it was okay.”

“Right,” Remus said, sitting up slowly and wiping sleep from his eyes. He picked up the handkerchief from where it’d fallen and held it to his nose, blasting a few honking blows.

“This is pointless,” he said, tossing the cloth aside. “I haven’t been able to breathe properly for days now anyway.”

Sirius rummaged in his bag for his pajamas and took them out, turning away from Remus to change. He hung his wet trousers and shirt on the hissing radiator to dry. Clad in flannel pajama bottoms and a fresh, dry jumper, Sirius curled up at the foot of Remus’ bed.

“Do you have a spare hankie?” he said, sniffling wetly.

“Yes, but do be careful. Dad charmed them to scourgify themselves and if you’ve got it on your nose when it happens, you’ll be sporting one of these.”

He pointed to his burning nose.

“I’m nearly there,” Sirius replied dryly, taking one of the hankies and dabbing at his nostrils with a pained look.

A soft knock at the door announced the arrival of Mrs. Lupin with a tea tray and a set of sheets floating alongside her. Sirius helped her to set up the camp cot, snuffling and coughing all the while. Quick as she could, Mrs. Lupin had him swaddled in quilts and his head on a fluffy pillow. She administered a few cold potions and left the boys with a pot of hot tea and some biscuits.

“Get some rest, dears,” she said as she shut the bedroom door. “Do shout if you need anything at all, Sirius.”

“And what about me?” Remus asked teasingly.

“I don’t have to tell you, because you’ll do it anyway,” Mrs. Lupin said with a grin, blowing a kiss to her son.

“You shout demands to your mum, Moony?” Sirius asked as Mrs. Lupin left. “Really, Pomfrey makes you out to be such a model patient.”

“Oh, I am at school, but here I have the potential to be a terror,” Remus joked. “Seriously, though, my mum fusses so much she usually comes asking if I need anything every hour rather than waiting for me to shout it.”

Sirius poured himself a cup of tea and held out the other to Remus.

“Want some?”

“No,” Remus sighed. “My throat aches.”

“Mine too,” Sirius agreed. “But it might help.”

“No,” Remus insisted, reaching for another handkerchief from the nightstand. “I already had one and I spilled half of it on the bed-sheets when I sneezed.”

As if to demonstrate the danger of the situation, Remus’ lip curled a little and his glaring red nostrils flared. He pitched forward with a strong and

spraying Etts’chooo! He looked up, dazed, and wiped a tear from his eye with one hand as he dabbed tenderly at his nose with the other.

“Oww,” he moaned.

“Right, I’ll be careful,” Sirius noted, sipping his tea and settling back against his pillows. No sooner had he said this then he felt his own volley of sneezes coming. Sirius’ sneezes tended to build more gradually than Remus’ sudden, exhausted-sounding fits. Eyes squeezing shut, he reached blindly to set his cup down on the floor as his free arm curled over his face. The wool of his jumper scratched at the raw skin under his nose and tickled the sneezes out as he spasmed, releasing a series of congested and forceful sneezes that caught in his sleeve. N’ghxt! Eh’ght! ‘tghht!

“Bless,” Remus said wearily from where he’d snuggled back down into the covers. “If I wasn’t feeling so rotten I’d be concerned.”

Sirius smirked.

“I think I’m probably worse off than you,” Sirius said, a challenge in his voice. “After all, I just sneezed three times, twice more than you, and listen…”

He took a deep breath and coughed. It came out hoarse and chesty, with the bit of rattle that evokes cold, winter streets and chilling rains.

“Right, and that’s worse than this?” Remus said, opening his mouth wide and sticking out his tongue to reveal two inflamed glands on either side of his bright-pink throat.

Ehh’tsghhh!

Sirius sneezed once more and looked up in dazed triumph as he clamped a hankie over his nose and blew wetly.

“Sod off, Pads,” Remus said, rolling over. “I need some more sleep. My head’s killing me.”

Sirius was loathe to admit he felt the same way. With a small sound of agreement, he snuggled under the blankets and closed his eyes.

“When we wake up, we’ll judge who is worse, okay?” he said.

“Fine,” Remus croaked. “Best prepare your speech when you concede the race to me.”

“You’re on, Moony.”

Ditto to what everyone's said so far! ^^ I'm so happy to see this update! Nice work! Please write more soon.

Archived