Sneeze Fetish Forum

What do you say to an atheist when he/she sneezes?

Photic

I'm agnostic myself. I always have found the phrase "god bless you" kind of a strange thing to say after someone sneezes. I've heard all the legends and stuff about how it got started but it seems strange to me that people still actually say it. People don't say anything when you cough. Imagine if you were blessed every time you hiccuped. *hiccup* "god bless you" *hiccup* "god bless you" *hiccup* "god bless you". etc. you get the point. This is just my thought on the subject.

In today's society it seems saying something like "god bless you" after a person sneezes is just a form of being polite. But if an atheist sneezes it's not very polite to say "god bless you" is it? lol So what do you think? What would you say after an athiest sneezes not to offend them? I suppose the obvious answer would be gesundheit. But what if it had to be in english only? Or do you think saying something after someone sneezes is even necessary in the first place?

I don't think most would care if you say "God Bless You" personally, because all of them I know don't care, but you could just say, "Bless You" if your really worried about people caring.

I've honestly never heard anyone use the phrase "God bless you", only "bless you" and it is, as far as I can see not remotely related to religion but merely a habitual comment passed down through the generations. But that is in the UK so it may be different where you are. You could move to the UK where it is not obligatory to say anything, or even to Norway where it is notmal to say nothing. Or to Germany where they use gesundheit, which has absolutely no religious connotations....or, so I understand you could also use that term in the US and some people would understand.

A simple "bless you" has no religious connotations and it's best not to get too hung up on what other people are expecting unless you know for definite (which would require asking them, which in itself might be uncomfortable).

There is just as much chance of offending somebody by NOT saying "bless you" as vice versa.

So my view is you should do or say what you are comfortable with.

:D

I'm agnostic as well, but the phrase 'bless you' has really lost all sense of religious connotation in today's society. Kind of like Christmas. :D But I digress. My point is, it never really bothered me when people say that, since it has really just become custom and expected, and has lost all sense of significance. It's actually rather rare to hear anyone say 'god bless you' anymore and even if they do, someone would have to be a real jerk in my opinion to get offended/upset over something so small and insignificant as being blessed when they sneeze.

On a related note, a comedian named Dane Cook actually did a little bit on this exact subject in one of his shows. He's pretty popular around here so I'm sorry if I'm posting it and everyone's like, 'well, duh' but I figure, why not. It's amusing. And it has some pretty funny bits on just plain sneezing in there too. :laugh:

I have to agree with most of the people here. Saying "bless you", or even "God bless you", to me is less about religion and more about social niceties, or tradition, or habit, or whatever you want to call it. I have a friend who's an atheist and she says "bless you", and she doesn't mind it being said to her. But your point is still a good one, Photic. I guess it's all dependent on how much the person (whether blessing or receiving) ties it to religion.

That Dane Cook bit is hilarious. Love it. :D

My grandma is the only person I know who tacks the 'God' onto 'bless you'. An atheist probably wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Would they even think of it? It's such an automatic response, perhaps it wouldn't even register to them. Even if it did occur to them, I doubt the wouldn't care.

Hmm, interesting topic. I don't think I can ever remember anyone saying 'God bless you' to me, or hearing someone say it to another person. Personally I'm one of those people who are somewhat shy about blessing people anyway...not entirely sure why, probably the self conscious part of my fetish, if that makes sense. I know it's probably silly as most non-fetishists think nothing of sneezing anyway, and will bless others who sneeze, etc. On the subject of religion, I'm not an atheist myself, although I know people who are, and who will say a simple 'bless you' to someone else who sneezes. Personally I like it when people bless me, but I know not everyone feels that way, some people just don't like being blessed at all. Like Nicole says though, I think it has little if anything at all to do with religion, it's more to do with politeness, social niceties, etc. Just my thoughts anyway....

just ' bless you' - if someone said 'god bless you' I would reply, 'no they don't - there is no god, so please feel free to get on with you life...'

Sorry I am an atheist and do not believe that god exists anywhere....

I know there are millions of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Anglicans....etc... who all believe in some sort of god or 'higher power', and i don't have a problem if other people believe in god for whatever reason - I respect your decision to believe in god

But for me - I simply do not believe in god, so people should respect my decision not to believe

I had a flatmate / room mate who was a devoted Christian and he said every time it rains it is God crying tears for us

I said 'What about a thunder storm? - is that God sneezing?' Ahhh CHOO!! LOL!

just ' bless you' - if someone said 'god bless you' I would reply, 'no they don't - there is no god, so please feel free to get on with you life...'

Do you really answer this way? :)

I mean, I don't think people say "god bless you" in a literal sense (those few people who don't just say "bless you"). Perhaps only your roommate. :lol:

As myself, I'm italian, and in Italy you say "salute" after someone sneezed; it means "health", and its meaning is simply "I wish you health". So, in my head you tell just this, when someone sneezes, and I consider even the "bless you" with the same meaning, it's just a question of different words, but I think the message is the same. I've never thought about the reaction of an atheist, 'cause I don't think of god at all when I say "bless you". (But actually I don't say it almost anyone, 'cause I'm embarrassed. In fact, "bless you" has an arousal connotation to me. :P)

Like Photic, I'm agnostic as well, but receiving a "bless you" has never annoyed me, honestly. I'm totally okay with it. :)

LOL! You shouldn't say something like this here. :laugh:

Hahaha OMG that's brilliant...will have to remember that one! :)

Mod Note: Fixed tags ~Mute

• 2 weeks later...

Who the hell's blessing you if it's not God?

Just a thought for the day. :D

The person saying "bless you" surely? Or do you think that God comes down to personally intervene every time someone sneezes?

I think people have this quite right. I'm an athiest and I say "bless you." I'd be inclined to assume that anyone who made a big deal out of this had a chip on their shoulder - it would be less about the actual "bless you," and more about them being defensive about their views.

The person saying "bless you" surely? Or do you think that God comes down to personally intervene every time someone sneezes?

Bite my head off, why don't you? :)

I should have used a lol smiley because I was amused, not trying to bite anything.

Sorry if I gave that impression. :)

Nah... isn't it more like just a figure of speech or such?

I mean, it isn't really raining cats and dogs either.

I should have used a lol smiley because I was amused, not trying to bite anything.

I know. I'm just messin with ya :):laugh:

I mean, it isn't really raining cats and dogs either.

And I didn't just step in a poodle. :)

Mod Note: Merged posts ~Mute

Archived