Sneeze Fetish Forum

Your Languages?

obsessed

Sorry for the many questions tonight. lmfao.gif

What's your first language?

What other languages do you know, and to what extent? [i.e. can read, understand, write, etc.]

What about you guys?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty fluent in it?! You write better in English than 99.99% of Americans. XD

my first language was English, although I am kind of fluent in Spanish- been taking it for seven years. I can read, write, speak, etc.

Cool! I'm such a linguistics freak, so I'm looking forward to seeing what people say. :lol:

My first language... I don't want to be super-specific, in my paranoia of somehow being found out by the general public, so I'll be semi-vague and say it's a Scandinavian language. :yes: I learned English as a toddler. Also took four years of Spanish between middle school and high school. I've probably forgotten most of what i learned, but I can piece some Spanish together.

I'd love to pick up some more Indo-European languages someday, but haven't had the opportunity (or decent instructors at my college) so it has yet to happen.

I don't remember what my first language was.

My parents told me I spoke such and such with babysitters, but I don't recall any of it.

I'm all "woah, I could speak that?!" :yes:

[English] Pretty fluent, I think.

[French] Not quite fluent, yet. I've been taking french since I was 6.

[Japanese] Can read, write, and understand very basic Japanese. I'm nowhere near mastering the kanji.

[Korean] Can read and understand very little romanized Korean.

I'm fluent in English and French. I understand and speak a VERY little bit of Italian (I understand more than I speak), Spanish and am trying to teach myself German using cds... it's very slow going because I'm extremely forgetful LOL (I've forgotten the beginning of the disc by the time I get to the end).

am trying to teach myself German using cds... it's very slow going because I'm extremely forgetful LOL (I've forgotten the beginning of the disc by the time I get to the end).

German is one of the languages on top of my wish-list... although the instructor at my school has a spotty record, and sometimes it sounds complicated and scares me away a bit. Lynne, what are your overall impressions of German as a language, since you have background in a handful of related languages? How's it compare to English and Spanish, specifically?

And by chance are you using the Rosetta Stone program? I always see advertisements for it and have wanted to try it out.

Ooh! Other people who want to learn German. :yes: Das ist so geil!

[English] - First language. Fluent. XD

[italian] - Been taking it in school for three years. I can read and comprehend fairly well, but I want to learn to speak it better.

[German] - Currently in the process (sort of... XD) of teaching myself.

Also want to learn Russian and Finnish, perhaps Polish, and Japanese (far-off dream, lol). If I could, I'd want to learn every language in the world. They fascinate me to no end!

...I feel boring now...I speak English and English only :yes: At one stage I could hold basic conversations in Dutch - very basic - but I've mostly forgotten all that I knew now. I've sort of attempted to learn French, Spanish and Japanese at various times but meh, language has never really been my thing, I get bored too easily xD

am trying to teach myself German using cds... it's very slow going because I'm extremely forgetful LOL (I've forgotten the beginning of the disc by the time I get to the end).

German is one of the languages on top of my wish-list... although the instructor at my school has a spotty record, and sometimes it sounds complicated and scares me away a bit. Lynne, what are your overall impressions of German as a language, since you have background in a handful of related languages? How's it compare to English and Spanish, specifically?

And by chance are you using the Rosetta Stone program? I always see advertisements for it and have wanted to try it out.

English is very germanic in nature, so it's somewhat similar, word-wise. Grammar-wise, UGH. nothing alike!

Spanish? is nothing at all like German, and I'm not even sure how that comparison came up... Spanish is a romance language, like Italian and French. Completely different, no similarities whatsoever. No I'm not using Rosetta Stone. I'm using a set of 8 beginner-level Cds I got at Chapters for like $20.

I do have the Berlitz "Hebrew" cd, but I haven't had a chance to poke at it yet.

My mother tongue is English (despite what everyone assumes because I grew up in predominantly French-speaking Quebec! :yes:), so I'm fluent there.

I also have been taking French classes since kindergarten, and actually was in an immersion classes where everything but English, gym and Home Ec were in French when I was in high school, so after having done that I consider myself pretty much fluent.

That's basically the extent of my learned languages, but from my French I can sometimes piece together bits of Spanish or Italian sentances since the languages are sometimes similar enough.

I'm also a huge sucker for languages, I'm just lacking for time and someone with enough patience to teach me at the moment...

I have dabbled a bit in learning Swedish (my first "to-be-learned" language), but so far I only know how to say goodbye and "Jag ar hungrig" (I'm hungry). Always start with the essentials... :drool:

English is my first language and I am now reasonably fluent in Norwegian as well (I can speak, read and write though I still have difficulty understanding the news I hear on TV or read in newspapers ). Learned French at school to "O" grade level and a very small amount of German privately but when I try to think of either of those the only words that come are norsk.... I guess if I had to begin them again most of it would come back.

English, and Dutch through my dad's side of the family. Yay Germanophones!

Incidentally, are people who speak the Saxon language called Saxophones?

English is my first language and still the only one I'm in any way fluent in.

Second would be French, from what I learnt at school and can still remember. The grammar and tenses I'm okay with, but a lot of the vocabulary I had has gone. I also know small bits of Italian and am half-trying to teach myself Dutch, so I know small bits of that one too.

Its great, that there are some people are interested in German language. Please contact me, I will answer in German :-), its my mother tongue. I miss other Germans here...

Beside this Im able to speak and write English more or less fluent.

I learned Russian in school and university and was surprised how much there still exits in the background of my brain, when I heard it a few month agon again.

Its the same with French - I learned it a bit at school, almost not able to speak but I understand a bit.

I like spanish language - I started a few years ago to learn it a bit for a while, but.. At the other side, if I be i Spain U(every year for a few weeks) I understand a bit, I like to see TV-news and have a look at the newspapers.

For me its different to say, how far German is comparable with other languages. The Grammar is definately difficult...

I can onyl say, if you know English ist helps sometimes to understand French, if you kow French, irt helps for Spain a bit etc..

The most international word inn teh world seems to be "KINDERGARTEN", it exists in Russian and in Englisch too.

Mother tongue is Finnish.

I think I'm reasonably fluent in English. I'm very self-conscious of my accent though.

Swedish I know enough to read a newspaper, but I use it so little I keep forgetting it fast.

Japanese... well I think it's a difficult language. But I know some Japanese. Trying to learn classical Japanese as well, tricky but fun.

I really intend to wipe the dust off my Russian soon; have forgotten most of what I knew but I know I could regain it with a little work.

My first language is German i would consider myself fluent in it.

I can speak and write English, Certainly less fluent than German but enough to hold a conversation with someone i think. My pronunciation is pretty bad though.

I did learn French in school but i'm seriously no good in it anymore. I can somewhat randomly understand a very few little bits 'n pieces but i couldn't ever talk to someone.

I miss other Germans here...

Actually by now we've more Germans than i would've ever thought we would get when i signed up :huh:.

My mother tongue is Swedish, I'm more or less fluent in English (though I'm still very self-conscious about writing it) and I've studied Spanish for 6 years. I also understand and can use a little spoken Japanese, but not much more than basic phrases.

Fluent in English, semi-fluent in Spanish because we're made to study a language in school xD I can sort of speak it, but I don't know all the tenses and such yet. And I can understand it better than I can read or write it lol.

Well, I obviously speak German, it's my mother tongue and therefore.. well.. I can handle it :dead:

I think I could say that I am fluent in English, reading, writing and communicating. In school, I also had French for three years, but that's now almost five years ago and I forgot a lot of my active vocabulary, althoug I can still read it quite well (with the help of a dictionary, of course ^^ ) and understand the gist of things. Communicating.. well.. it works more or less, but it is really embarrassing and involves a lot of gestures :lol:

I also had Latin in school, although I think that doesn't really count as it is not a spoken language ^^ But it helps me to understand basic Italian. I am even able to introduce myself in Italian, but that's about it xD

On my list of languages to learn are definitely Spanish and maybe a more exotic language like Japanese, although it's quite unlikely that I am going to succeed learning one of them.

Glaswegian!

I can understand a lot of Glaswegian but can't speak it!

Now Aberdonian ....... well that's a different matter altogether.

English is my mother tongue. I have studied German for years and years, but I am horrible at foreign languages so not all that much sank in. (It does come back somewhat when I visit Germany and Switzerland.) A tiny bit of Swiss German. And law Latin (res ipsa loquitur -- that's a joke!).

...I feel boring now...I speak English and English only :lol: At one stage I could hold basic conversations in Dutch - very basic - but I've mostly forgotten all that I knew now. I've sort of attempted to learn French, Spanish and Japanese at various times but meh, language has never really been my thing, I get bored too easily xD

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. I learned a bit of Italian back in high school, and I was great at the accent, but I've pretty much lost everything now, couldn't be bothered to practice. :dead: If I were to learn another language, I'd definetly go back and conquer Italian before anything else...I think it's an extremely pretty language.

I forgot one: does sign language count? :) One of my favourites is the sign for "bacon and eggs"...not quite sure why xD

Archived