Sneeze Fetish Forum

To Count de Tisza

Vetinari

A toast (smothered with Gentleman's Relish) to my dear friend and partner in silliness, Count de Tisza.

It was three years ago today that you posted a thread in honour of St George to which I replied with a quotation from Twelfth Night. The thread descended quickly into silliness, and (happily for me) that silliness has continued throughout the three years since. You have become a great friend to me. You are patient and kind and very funny. This forum, and indeed the world in general would be a colder place if I had not met you.

So then a long overdue kudos to you my fiend, a man of intelligence and humour, a great writer of sneezefiction and, of course, a lover of England, of Thanet, of surfeits of pork pies and last but not least, in your youth, the proud wearer of a Memorable Hat.

Thank you.

Dear me, I am somewhat overwhelmed. Was it really three years ago? Was I already silly? All I can remember is noting some severe silliness from another quarter, and the still topical line "I had as lief be a Brownist as a politician"; but then I think Sir Andrew Ague-Cheek has always been a bit of a hero.

Well, all I can say is that it is wonderful that such a tangential affair led to such prolonged silliness and fiendship, and recently going beyond any call of duty, as you know. So a toast spread in equal parts with haggis and soused herringade to the silliest of veteran sturgeons, the most patrician of Ancient Norsktrousers, and her followers of kerns, gallowglasses and butlers with camp-stools [choose which one you are going to be, everyone].

As the motto of the ancient Tiszas has it, "Insipientia proxima sternuositati". For those unencumbered by even a dodgy Classical education, "Silliness is next to sneeziness".

And who was it who said,

"Life is a jest and all things show it.

I thought so once, and now I know it."?

I've still got the hat, though I think the memorability has worn off; it hasn't got my name in it.....

Oh, I definitely want in on this one!

Count, Vet is right - this is a long overdue kudos. I just want to let you know that I love you dearly and I'm so glad our paths crossed. I absolutely loved spending time with you in London...you're a perfect gentleman, and so kind. Plus you saved me from getting lost on the way back to my hotel, so I can never thank you enough for that! :winkkiss:

I'm glad you're around, and I consider myself so lucky to know you. :(

Archived