Sneeze Fetish Forum

Needle in a Haystack

everest

This story is in response to a request for a White Collar fic by Leap-Year Kisses. It’s slash, (Neal/Peter) so if it’s terribly out of character sounding, that’s why. Although, there isn’t really much M/M action anyway, just sap. Anyways, I really hope you like it. :drool:

Also, as far as Elizabeth goes, the situation is as you choose to imagine it. She isn't really in this fic, so it's all up to you to decide what's going on with her, Peter and Neal.

Oh, and even if you don't know the show, you shouldn't have any problems with reading this fic. It's mostly just fluff.

Disclaimer: No, the show isn’t mine. :drool:

Neal opened the door of the truck, stepping out, and eyeing the scene ahead with apprehension. He watched as Peter began to walk towards the barn, shoes crunching down the grass.

Peter paused when he realized that Neal wasn’t following him. Turning around, he eyed the younger man. “Is something wrong?”

Neal blinked. “No, no. Of course not.” He took a deep breath, jogging a couple of steps and then slowing down as he caught up to Peter. Even as he walked forward, it was clear that Neal was hesitant. Peter dropped a hand on his partner’s shoulder, stopping him.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” Neal replied quickly.

“You sure?” Peter’s eyes were mildly concerned, boring into the ex-con’s in a way that made it seem as if he was searching for something. It always surprised Neal, whenever Peter gave him that stare. It felt as though the federal agent was staring right through him. He didn’t say that, of course. No, even now, with them being close as they were, Neal wasn’t the type to share his every feeling.

“I know that it isn’t the ideal undercover situation. But someone needs to do it.” Peter told him, not dropping his gaze.

“And that someone is me.”

Peter seemed apologetic for a moment before replying. “Yeah.” He said. “It is.”

Neal looked down at his outfit with disgust. Flannel shirt, tucked into a pair of loose jeans, and a dirty old pair of boots that he really did not want to know the history of. Peter had convinced him not to style his hair as he normally did; it now hung down over his forehead, reminding him of the days he spent in prison, slowly changing his appearance in anticipation for his escape.

“I look like a hillbilly.”

“Well, as of now,” Peter rested both his hands on Neal’s shoulders, standing behind the younger man as they both stared at the barn. “You are one.”

“This… Farmer John guy-“

“Bill Hoosier.” Peter corrected him softly.

“Right. Mr. Hoosier. You really think he’s got stolen gold hidden somewhere on his property?”

“Come on. You know he’s our best suspect. You just don’t want to have to work on a farm.”

“No, it’s not that-“

“What is it then?” Peter smiled playfully.

“Nothing.” Neal sighed.

Peter’s smile softened. “I’ll see you later, you can come over for dinner. And, maybe stay the night.”

Neal still looked unsure. “Right. Smelling like horse turd.”

“You’ll smell great, just like you always do.” The words were whispered into Neal’s ear, and he felt shivers run down his spine. Peter pulled back, slapping his partner on the back lightly. “Go get em, tiger!”

~~~

Apparently, his farm-getup had been realistic enough, because he was now currently mucking out one of Bill Hoosier’s horse’s stalls. He wasn’t bad at the work, quite the opposite. He didn’t even hate it that much. Once you got past the general disgustingness of it all, it was actually somewhat relaxing.

Or, at least, it could have been.

nGTSssh! Hh’knGXxt! K’GXT’uh! uh’knGSsht!” The sneezes were quick, and tormenting ticklish. Each one did almost nothing to remove the lingering itch in Neal’s nostrils. They just kept coming, giving him less of a break each time. It was a damn good thing that Mr. Hoosier had trusted him, because him hovering over Neal right now would not have been very good.

Yes, mucking these stalls could have been bearable, if Neal wasn’t allergic to hay.

His blue eyes had long since grown watery, and they itched almost as bad as his nose at this point. This was the real reason he was so against this undercover job, not because he was too much of a city boy. Neal Caffrey could get down and dirty, when the time called for it. He just did it better when there wasn’t hay involved.

uh’NGK’ssh! Ih’inGXt! Ih’GNkshuh!” Neal gave a shaky inhale, holding up the bandana he had added to his outfit earlier in preparation. Peter had just thought it to be a nice touch, causing him to further look the part. Little did he know it was actually being used.

Overly used, actually. The bandana was beginning to become soiled. Even so, Neal grasped it in his hand as his head tilted back for what felt like the millionth time that day. His head snapped forward as his eyes were pressed tightly shut, mouth and nose being covered firmly by the bandana.

uh’GSSHT’huh!” With that, the feeling backed down just enough to stop the sneezes, but yet still remained present in his nostrils to torture him.

A glance at his worn leather watch (Another part of the outfit; apparently Neal’s current watch was too nice to be seen on a farm hand’s arm) told Neal that he would be able to leave in a half an hour. Part of the cover was that he had his own truck, which was the very same one that Peter had given him a ride here in. The FBI was thorough when it came to these things, almost as much as Neal would be if he was pulling a con. It was interesting, being on the other side of things.

Peter had insisted on driving Neal to the farm. As to why, he was unsure. It could be that Peter still didn’t trust him, or it could be that he was concerned over Neal’s reluctance to work this case. Or, Neal though bitterly, He could just be doing his job. He wasn’t quite sure about the relationship he shared with Peter. It never really was black and white, not even back when he was still in jail, but now… things were even more complicated.

He realized he wanted to be more than business partners with Peter. There was something about him that Neal couldn’t resist, something that kept him from getting bored. Something worth exploring.

Finally finishing his work, Neal stepped out of the barn, gratefully breathing in the fresh air. He told Mr. Hoosier he was leaving, and pulled out of the farm with a rub to his nose.

A glance at his reflection in the rearview mirror told him that he didn’t want anyone seeing him tonight, much less Peter. So, he pulled out his phone, dialing the familiar number.

“Hey, Neal.” Peter answered. “Are you on your way over?”

“Actually, I don’t think I’m coming over tonight.” Neal rubbed his nose fiercely as the all-too-familiar sensation threatened to take hold.

There was a beat of silence. “Why?”

“I’m just sort of ti… hih!” Neal quickly pressed a fist to his nose. “Tired. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He finished quickly.

“Neal, is something going on?”

“No, Peter. It’s nothing.” Neal responded, desperate to finish the conversation.

“Alright…” Neal couldn’t be sure, but it sounded like Peter had sighed. “Bye, Neal.”

“Goodbye, Peter.”

Neal shut his phone, hurridly ending the call. He quickly raised a fist, clenching his teeth together and snapping his eyes shut as he finally gave in to the sneezes.

h’GNxt’uh! ah’knGSHt! Uh’GSsht’uh” A liquid sniff followed, and with a heavy sigh, Neal pulled out of the farm.

~~~

An hour later, at his apartment that he had been so lucky to have for $700 a month, thanks to June’s kindness, Neal still hadn’t gotten a break from the incessant sneezing. Every time he closed his eyes, he could see the hay, in all its golden evilness.

Neal had long since showered and changed out of his ridiculous clothing, but even so, it was only moderately better then when he was at the farm.

His eyes were red and puffy, and his nose had also adopted an irritated pink color. All of the sneezing had left him with a bad headache, as well as a slightly sore throat. All and all, Neal was the picture of miserable.

And the best part is, he thought, I get to go back again tomorrow.

Ringing out a hand towel he had just soaked in the bathroom, Neal carried it into his living room, relaxing onto the couch and draping it over his eyes. The cool water left him feeling better than he had all day.

A few raps on the door suddenly echoed through his apartment, startling him.

Neal lifted the towel of his eyes, tossing it into the bathroom as he answered the door.

Standing there, in all of his cheap-suited glory, was Peter Burke.

“Neal!” The older man was shocked at his partner’s swollen face.

“Peter.” Neal just nodded in the agent’s direction, unable to completely meet his eyes.

“I, um… I just…” Peter mumbled awkwardly.

“Come in.” Neal moved out of the doorway, making room for Peter to enter.

“Are you okay?” Peter questioned, after an awkward minute of silence.

“I’m fi… hih…” There was no delaying it this time, Neal was going to sneeze. He quickly turned away, raising an elbow to his face.

Ih’GZShh’uh! uh’NKshuh! Hu’NXgt’uh!”

“Bless you.” Said Peter, his tone confused. “Are you… sick?”

“No.” Neal said, sniffling. He hadn’t yet turned back around to face Peter.

“I didn’t think so. What is it, then?”

The suffering man didn’t respond.

“Neal…” Peter said warningly.

Turning around with a sigh, Neal walked towards his partner. Sitting down at his table and resting his head in his hands, he answered quietly.

“It’s the hay, from the farm. I’m allergic.”

Understanding suddenly lit up Peter’s face. “That’s why you were so against this case.”

Neal nodded.

“Why didn’t you just say something?”

“Didn’t seem like something you’d tell a business partner.” Neal mumbled.

“Business partners.” Peter repeated, voice reflecting the hurt he had felt. “Is that what we are?”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

“Neal, I can’t tell you how to feel when you’re around me. But I can tell you this: I care about you so much more than anyone else at the bureau.” Peter was doing that stare again; his eyes boring into Neal’s

“But I’m just the guy you put behind bars.” Neal hated how small his voice sounded.

“That’s true. But you’re also the guy I love.”

SAP. I hope you like it! I’m fairly sure that this is just a one-shot, but maaaaaybe I’ll post more if inspiration hits.

I really liked it! Would love to see more if you feel up to writing it! :popesmiley:

asdjfhsjdhfjhdjhfsafhfd! This is awesome! They didn't seem out of character at all! You have their banter down so well... :bday: This is great! I love it!

I'll start in on the drabbles! :popesmiley: Any prompt suggestions? They DO help me a lot.

Awwwww :cryhappy: That was such a sweet story. :D *is still going all "awww" from the end*

So cute that Neal doesn't want to sneeze in front of Peter. :laugh:

Just got 'net back (from the tornado that went through here yesterday), and I have to say, this was a wonderful thing to come "home" to. you really do seem to have a knack for that! :hypoc:

And, of course, wonderful fic, as always. I am so enjoying your "White Collar" fics, so I hope you won't take it as greediness that I say I can't wait for the next one. :laugh:

Archived