Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Blackout (M) New on: 7/22 (8-?)

PaperThings

A/N: I know, I've started about a million unfinished stories. Er, I promise this is the last? Hop you guys enjoy! :rolleyes: Comments are MUCH appreciated.

Adelaide's eyes roved the coffee shop, blandly searching for something of interest. She didn't think she had ever felt more uncomfortable in her life. "Um, maybe I should go..." she said. She and her her sort-of-boyfriend, Nate, were in the midst of a rather awkward assessment of their relationship. Their friends would arrive here in a few minutes, fully equipped with holiday joy, and she just wasn't in the mood.

"No! Don't go!" He had sounded disinterested throughout their entire conversation, his eyes glazed and jaw slack, but now he came to life. "Come on, Laidey." She tightened her lips at the nickname. "My parents are gone... you wanted to see our new apartment, right?"

She rested her cheek against her fist, thoughtful. Everyone knew the Carrodeen's were extremely wealthy, parading from luxury home to luxury home. Their newest was the penthouse of the largest apartment building in the city, complete with a pool in the lobby and an elevator that opened to the living room. So she'd heard, anyway. "What about everyone else?" She forced herself to look up at him, meet those ice-green eyes. He looked so indifferent and far-away, it killed her. She'd thought... she'd thought today would be the day. The day they took a step forward. "They're supposed to be meeting us here."

"I'll text Alex," Nate said, already digging out his phone. "They can come to my place." Her heart sank; it wouldn't be private time after all. "Come on, it'll be home." He smiled for the first time all afternoon, a big grin that exercised his dimples. God, why did he have to be so cute? When he tilted his head, his soft waves of hair falling into his face, she felt her guard distill.

"Well... okay. Maybe we can order in or something?" She felt determined to salvage her happy week off school, whatever happened between her and Nate.

"Yeah, sure. Definitely. There's supposed to be a blizzard." He had his phone in hand, and sounded distract. She let him be as she zipped up her sweater. "They'll be there soon," he said. They had seven close friends, four guys and three girls. If they were in an honest mood, they would confess that they were some of the more popular kids at school. Well, not popular exactly, but well-liked. People looked up to them and desperately sought windows into their wrought-iron little world. But they didn't like strangers, not really. They'd formed a group long ago, in elementary school. And the haze of hard times since, well, it had only gone to cement them further as a unit. They didn't take in new people. Period.

Uncomfortably silent, they threw their coffee cups in the trash cans and headed for Nate's car. Thus far, he was the only one at school with a driver's license. Adelaide eyed him sideways, afraid to turn her head or speak aloud. Though they'd once been close, she suddenly felt as if she didn't know him at all. "Whoa, are you okay?" In retrieving his car keys, he had bent forward with a hacking set of coughs. She watched his shoulders roll violently, alarmed. "Nate?" She reached forward to steady him, relief swooshing through his gut when he gasped and straightened.

"Fine," he sighed. "I think I'm getting a cold."

"Aw," she said, "I'm sorry." She crossed her arms over her chest, fighting the butterfly urge to dote on him. That's what she might have done, last month or even last week, but now... "Are you okay to drive?"

He nodded, sniffing so quietly she thought he might have meant to hide it. "Course. Let's go."

They managed mindless conversation on the drive back to his apartment, mostly dwelling on their school teachers. It was a rather pathetic topic, and it fizzled out before too long, but at least it was something. Unexpectedly, Adelaide felt her eyes fill. Would she ever get her best friend back? Had bringing up the possibility of romance ruined everything?

They pulled into the building's garage, and he checked his phone once more. "They're on their -" He cut off abruptly, as if understanding that a further attempt for words would embarrass him. Adelaide stared, her cheeks pink, as he brought his lanky fingers up and cupped them bracingly over his elegant nose. His breath began to hitch, slowly at first, building in desperation as his eyelids sank. She knew better than to interrupt, yet she fought the urge to put her hand on his shoulder or something else. He looked almost pained. "Enhh-heh..." he whined, the pitch high enough that she knew what was coming. His lips broke open, defeated, eyes scrunched deep into his face. "EaahSHUH!" He relaxed quickly afterwards, blinking away the lingering tears. He looked almost surprised. "Sorry. I had to sneeze." As if it wasn't obvious.

Surprised by his sudden innocence, the way the pink of his nose made him seem so young and vulnerable, Adelaide smirk. "Bless you," she said, softly tugging a hand around his waist.

He looked pleased. "Thanks. Upstairs?" He spent most of the elevator ride wiping at his nose, near ferocious, and Adelaide wished she had a tissue to offer him. She could tell by the way his brows furrowed together, his left nostril quirking sideways in attempt to extract itself from the tickle, that it wouldn't be long before another sneeze.

"Here you go..." he said, sounding frustrated as he heard the ding of the elevator. "Home."

And it was beautiful. Cream-colored puffs of carpet transformed the foyer into a blanketed bubble bath, warm and soothing to the toes. She resisted the urge to catapult into the living room, jump onto the enormous white sofa and swing from the glittering chandelier. It was a palace, she decided, hearing the doors shut behind them. A paradise.

Of course, no paradise was permanent. Her spell of wonder was broken suddenly, the sound of crackling breath causing her to turn her head. Her eyes found his face just as he whirled in the opposite direction, and she caught only a second's glimpse of his wiggly, prickly nostrils. He ducked into his elbow, eyes locked tightly under their lids. "Heh'ckkSHHH! Ehh'SHOO!" The second sneeze was significantly harsher, underlined by his deep voice. "I need a tissue," he muttered, keeping one hand around his nose. He slouched and skulked off, looking depressed. "Make yourself at home, Laidey..."

She wanted to go and comfort him, but that might seem wrong now. Instead she headed into the living room, her eyes wide as she stared past the lemon-yellow curtains. "Nate," she called, turning her head towards the door. "It's already snowing." The flakes swirled and danced outside, covering the streets and rattling the city with their skirts of wind. She suddenly didn't feel so miserable anymore.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you've been told countless times, and even so, I still can't help but remind you that you are a magnificent writer. Your descriptions, your characters, your phrasing and the set up of each situation -- all absolutely marvelous. I'm looking forward to this so much!

Poor Adelaide :( I can really sympathize with her on the whole friend/romance matter...Gosh you're writing is just so inviting, honestly...Its just so connecting with the reader. Im really looking forward to more ;)

i'm so excited about where this is going! I love the whole 'trapped by circumstances beyond their control' sort of plot development and a blizzard? icing on the cake. Combined with the nebulous relationship i can't wait to see where this goes.

A/N: Oh wow, thank you so much for the feedback guys! :yes: I'm so glad all of you are enjoying this! Here's part two!

---

Adelaide felt a gentle tap against her spine, and turned to find Nate standing behind her. He held a water bottle out to her, his other hand around a box of tissues. "Thanks," she said, trying not to stare at the patches of red blooming on his nostrils. "You okay?"

He nodded, a thin smile on his face, but a quick sniffle and wipe of his nose belied his answer. "Fine," he said, voice rusty. "You hungry?"

"No, I'm fine." She sipped the water for something to do and settled rigidly against the nearest couch. He watched her, looking about as uncomfortable as she felt. Each time she drank the water, he dabbed his nose. A balanced, silent rhythm. Of course, soon the contact against his skin became too rough, and he began to pinch it between his thumb and forefinger instead. By the time his eyes watered, seizing tightly against his temple, Adelaide felt desperate for conversation.

"The snow's pretty," she said, voice soft. She commanded herself to relax and uncrossed her legs, biting back the urge to check her phone. Maybe, if she was persistent enough, the others would get here faster.

"Yeah," Nate said, after a second. "Pretty." They stared together out the picture-frame windows, watching their glorious town sink under the white. Before nightfall it would be covered. "The others are probably stuck in traffic," he said.

Mentally, Adelaide cursed, but she replied with an unexpressive, "Right."

His expression changed quickly, concerned. "My parents' flight is supposed to get into tonight, really late."

"They might get delayed."

He shook his head, tooth gnawing at his lip. "No, I think they've already left... Well, maybe they'll stop somewhere." He looked annoyed, and Adelaide remembered that he had fairly decent relationships with his parents. They weren't around much, but they reminded him consistently of how important to them he was. "I just - I just h-hope..." Needles of air inflated the sentence, breaking up each word with his nose's breathy rebellion. Adelaide glanced up sharply, just in time to watch as his field of vision narrowed to less than a point. The loft was silent, and she could hear the jagged revving of his breath. "Huhh-hh'TSHH!" He caught it lopsided, pressing his chin to his shirt and his wrist to his nose. Even with the long warning, it still sounded as if it took him by surprise. Adelaide had to fight a smile.

"You want a tissue?" she asked shyly, sliding him the box. It made her stomach twist, seeing the strong, infallible Nate all blotchy and dripping. Watching his eyelashes sag and swoop, as defenseless as a pinned bird, she wondered if she had ever seen her friend so vulnerable. Nope, she decided. She had not. And what a lovely day for such an experience, she thought wryly. The very same day he rejected her. Oh, how perfect. She pointedly looked away this time, missing all but the needy curl of his lips.

"Ehhn-shuh! Ehshh'HUH!" He caught them in the tissue, blowing his nose afterwards. Was it her imagination, or was he blushing? Was Nate... embarrassed? As fascinating as the display was, a small part of her wished to crawl away and happily rot inside the massive jacuzzi tub he'd bragged about. Actually, that might not be so bad. Under any circumstances.

"Bless you," she said, and she caught him staring at her. "What?" Her voice came out more defensive than she'd hoped.

"Nothing," he blurted, crumpling up the newest tissue and tossing it into the trash can. Perfect aim, she noted. Like always. "Just... sorry I'm sick. A-actually..." he paused to cough, but it sounded more than a bit purposeful this time. "I'm sorry about - well, you know. Everything." He wouldn't meet her eyes, which suited her just fine. There was something about the watery, about-to-close look of his green eyes that would prevent her from ever being angry at him. And she needed to be angry. It was her only clutch.

"It's - " She'd been ready to say 'fine' - in a curt, brittle tone of course - when his cell phone buzzed.

He cursed under his breath. "Sorry Adelaide, one sec." He leaned back into the couch as he read the message, and she couldn't help but think it appeared as if cushions were eating him. "Aw, fuck," he muttered, looking peeved. "Um, they're turning around," he said. "It's getting too hard to see, he says." As if to punctuate his disappointment, he pinched hard against the bridge of his nose. Adelaide resisted the urge to jump from her sofa to his.

"Oh... well maybe..." But she didn't want to leave, really. Though this was incredibly awkward, painful in most ways, she feared leaving now would leave indelible damage against their relationship. Sure, he might not want to be anything more with her, but leaving now -when they were barely speaking - might end their friendship as well. And Adelaide wasn't sure if she could take that. Ask me to stay, she prayed silently. Just ask me to stay.

"Wait," he said, raising his hands of his lap as if to stop her. "We can - we can order dinner, or something. Or, I don't know, I bet I have food in the fridge." He frowned, his voice cracking. She assumed it was from the cold, but... again, she had to fight a smile. "I doubt you could get a cab to pick you up, anyway. Remember? I drove you here."

"Right..." It was a good point, anyhow. How was she getting home? "I mean, I guess I can stay for a bit." She smiled crookedly.

"Great!" And despite it all - his exhausted expression, their earlier talk - he sounded genuinely pleased. Maybe, she considered, he was simply lonely. This was one big place to stay if your parents were gone at the time. But Nate didn't get lonely, she reminded herself. He was Nate: always cheerful, always... calm. Nothing ever went wrong for him. At least, that was the guy she knew.

"Great!" And despite it all - his exhausted expression, their earlier talk - he sounded genuinely pleased. Maybe, she considered, he was simply lonely. This was one big place to stay if your parents were gone at the time. But Nate didn't get lonely, she reminded herself. He was Nate: always cheerful, always... calm. Nothing ever went wrong for him. At least, that was the guy she knew.

Ahhh I love this last part. That feeling when its like: Oh, so and so never feels this way and then you start to question everything you thought you knew about them in certain situations...Did that make any sense? Sorry if it didn't, just woke up but I had to comment :laugh: Really gewd! :yes:

Ahhh I love this last part. That feeling when its like: Oh, so and so never feels this way and then you start to question everything you thought you knew about them in certain situations...Did that make any sense? Sorry if it didn't, just woke up but I had to comment :) Really gewd! :)

It makes sense to me! I feel exactly the same way.

Very good, by the way, PaperThings. The characters feel real.

• 2 weeks later...

A/N: Sorry it's been so long guys! Urgh, school has sucked. I promise to try and update every time I get a chance, though. Thanks so much for the comments!

Sticking her tongue between her teeth , Adelaide watched as Nate proceeded into the grand, marble kitchen. Her heart clenched unexpectedly, and not just because she could fit her entire upstairs into the palm of the black tile. Why did he have to be so perfect? Why, watching his sturdy, confident body stride away, did she have to miss him so badly? Despite his cold, she found her eyes fixed on the soft seams of his sweatshirt, wanting him to take his arm and put it around her. Something like that would say: this is where you belong. With me, near me. That's what she wanted, she thought to herself. She wanted to belong to Nate.

"Umm," he said, glancing sideways at her. "Frozen pizza okay?" he laughed, hoarse and tired. "I'm not sure we have much else. I mean, we could order something, but..." She walked over to join him, peering into the contents of the open freezer drawer. He pulled the fridge doors forward for better inspection. To her surprise, there was nothing there. No ingredients, not much of anything, really. Some soda, stacked artfully against one door, and an entire feast of frozen dinners. She found it odd, especially compared to her own house. Both her parents appreciated the joys of cooking and often spent hours making extremely delicious food. He's all alone, she realized. Nate's always alone.

"Pizza sounds great," she said, and she found she didn't have to force her smile.

"Okay, great. I'll take care of it, okay?" he said. He looked pretty cheerful as well, despite the bleariness in his eyes. A part of her took one look at his flushed cheeks and wanted to put him to bed, care for him the way, say, a girlfriend might. But there was no way she could do that now.

"I'm just going to call my mom," she announced, sashaying awkwardly from the line of appliances. "Let her know not to wait for me." She wandered absently into the bathroom - as pristine and beautiful as the rest of the house, she noted - and dialed the number. "Mom? It's me. I'm at Nate's, and I know I said - "

"Did you see the snow, sweetie?" her mother asked. Adelaide shut her eyes; their family was well-known for the interrupting gene. At least, her mother's side was. Adelaide seemed to inherit her father's slower, more considerate manners of conversation.

"Yeah, we're kind of caught in it actually," she explained, leaning up against the side of the jacuzzi. "He's making us dinner. I'll try to get back as soon as I can, though. Alright?"

"Okay, sweetie. Whenever you can. I'd rather you spend the night than get into a car accident."

Adelaide sent up a silent thanks that her mother was not one of the neurotic, over-protective types. "Yeah, course." Though she hoped it wouldn't come to that, given the current situation. "I'll call again later. Love you." She waited for her mother's goodbye then hung up, surveying herself in the mirror. She didn't look bad, actually, despite the slight look of weariness around her eyes and smile. Then she remembered she had dressed up for today, thinking it was the day, and that was probably the reason for the shiny appearance. Figured. Newly depressed, she returned to the kitchen.

She stopped in her tracks. The lovely thing about Nate's house, in spite of the size, was the great spacious nature of the layout. One could easily see from room to room. She paused, fingers awkwardly fondling the light switch. Nate's body was furled towards the oven, back arced in a position she would almost describe as defensive. His sweatshirt rose in short waves, back muscles working hard as his breath exercised its full ability. His hunched position added so much to the moment, Adelaide almost felt as if she had walked in on something private. A large part of her wanted to turn away.

Inhale, inhale. She held her own breath as his climbed, danced. Steady but impatient. She watched it synchronize with the jerky shift of his shoulder muscles, his dark head bobbing up and down in wait. The inhales increased, both in volume and velocity; she stood far enough away that she could not hear them particularly perfectly, but the apartment's silence lent itself to a minor recital. With a final little gasp, the string cut, his muscles spasmed and he bent the rest of his spine. "HehhhSHUH! K'SHHUH!" He stopped, sniffed. She made out the tiniest sounds of frustration, halfway between a groan and a sigh, and she felt her heart squeeze again.

That was the problem, wasn't it? Little frustrated noises, the way he ducked his head and looked down when he sniffled... the smallest details, each leading back to years past. She knew them all. She loved them all. When you knew everything about someone, and you loved them for their everything, how could you turn back from that? She ached inside, and blessed him without thinking.

He turned around in surprise and she instantly flushed, embarrassed. He hadn't known she was watching. "Thanks," he said, cheeks the color of the tomato sauce. With an added sniff, "Sorry." She shrugged, as if to say, 'don't mention it'. "It's cooking," he supplied, after a quiet moment. "It should be done in like twenty minutes. And, I um, checked the computer and it says my parents' flight was supposed to be in an hour ago, but they're still in the air. I guess there's more snow up there than they thought." He leaned against the counter.

"Oh, I hate when that happens," Adelaide said. Inside, she thought, how did he forget when they're landing? Isn't he meeting them at the airport? Then, as she thought of the pizza, she guessed not. "Delays suck."

"Yeah," he agreed. "They do."

"Um," she started, after a second, "what's the weather report say?" Her eyes travelled unconsciously to the spilling tuffs of white, beautiful but such obstacles for the moment. Still, she lived the sight.

"Here, I can check." He looked back to his laptop and googled their town, frowning as he read it. "Looks like it's just going to keep snowing. Through tomorrow, it says. Possible power outages and road trouble."

"Wow." A grainy dread leaked into her; as fate would have it, it sounded as if she'd be spending the night. One way or another.

"And like I said... our town's got it pretty good. Where my parents are flying from is worse."

"Right."

"So..."

"So." They stared at one another, blinked at one another, both entirely at a loss of where to go from here.

A/N: Thanks for reading guys! :happysmiley:

Ohhh!!!!!!!! What will happen next??????????

I love this chapter, great suspense and tension, and I can't wait for the next bit!!

I think the scene where she is watching him sneeze is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::frust::):bleh:

PaperThings - Wonderful story.. and wow..power outages and road trouble coming up? They're going to get snowed in, sounds like. :zippy: Looking forward to reading more. :hug:

• 5 weeks later...

Ohh, this is really lovely. I love that you have a compelling plot line to go along with the sick--it's nice that you're not using that as your only hook. I really feel bad for Adelaide, and for Nate as well. Both of them seem like interesting, realistic people, who are in an awkward and difficult situation. Also, your description of illness is delicious. Great job, and I can't wait to see more!

Awww, this is cute! I really like the scenario you have going. I have to ask though, about the names. Nate and Adelaide..."Guys and Dolls"? Just curious :yes:

Archived