Sneeze Fetish Forum

Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock, BBC)

RSB

Apparently Benedict Cumberbatch (he plays Sherlock in the BBC's Sherlock) got a flu while filming the series and neglected it to the point that it turned into pneumonia. It's mentioned in a lot of articles/interviews with him--about how his fever reached something like 39.4 C (approx 103 F) and how he was upset to miss filming. But anyhoo here are some quotes I thought were particularly nice:

This one is from an interview with The Stage Blog--a tad gross but it's interesting that he seems to be the type that tries to soldier through illness, making out that he can manage until it's obvious he can't... ;)

"I imagine Holmes probably got pneumonia on a couple of occasions in Victorian London. I got flu and kept braving through it while green stuff was coming out of me. I was told, ‘You’ve got man flu, have a couple of paracetamol’, but when I soaked the bed sheets with sweat three nights running in the middle of winter, I knew there was something really wrong with me.

It’s not nice having liquid on your lung and it takes a long time to recover - the irritating thing is that I was so disciplined and living a very healthy existence… I’d swim a lot, do yoga and eat healthily. I was really annoyed with myself for getting flu in the first place and I did myself a bit of damage by not acknowledging that I needed a rest." (The Stage Blog)

Another nice quote from an article/interview on his lj-fansite speculating about how he's sickly:

“It’s not that I get ill when I’m under stress,” he promises. “If that was the case I’d be on a drip in hospital right now.”

But I’m not sure I believe him. At Manchester he had the overworker’s disease glandular fever.

While he was performing in Rhinoceros and the Arsonists at the Royal Court in 2007 he developed a stomach ulcer. He fell ill while filming Sherlock in various freezing Welsh locations, including a perfectly Gothic old railway tunnel in Barry, dripping with damp and full of smoke and soot from the braziers.

Despite his swimming and daily dose of honey and Bikram yoga — “to keep angular and interesting for Holmes” — his flu turned to a pneumonia that nearly led to hospitalisation. “It was because I was throwing myself into it with no rest, I was in utter denial, having too much fun because I love the character so much.

And for those who didn't watch the show here's what he looks like (isn't the scarf cute? I think it's cute):

446benedict_cumberbatch.jpg

I love this show! And this man! Thank you so much for this post. Up until now I've only had that scene, where Watson thinks he's getting sick because he was hoarse from being strangled, to think about.

• 6 months later...

Anyone watch the new episode? It's AMAZING, but besides all that there are little bits of H/C that you guys might like :)

I watched the first episode this morning which makes me want to see him sneeze even more!!w00t.gif Did you see him crying because of the punch from John? Haha maybe we'll see something soon! wub.png

Oh sorry if I'm being stupid and if this is really obvious but what does H/C mean? (Hopefully I haven't embarrassed myself 1.gif )

It's okay, G123! H/C stands for hurt/comfort or hurt/care. It's a genre of fic and also a subfetish for many of us (enjoying caring for someone who is sick/hurt).

I love this show and had actually read these quotes before, but they're just as yummy the second time around!!

I watched the first episode this morning which makes me want to see him sneeze even more!!w00t.gif Did you see him crying because of the punch from John? Haha maybe we'll see something soon! wub.png

Oh sorry if I'm being stupid and if this is really obvious but what does H/C mean? (Hopefully I haven't embarrassed myself 1.gif )

As if I wasn't excited enough to see the new eps tomorrow!!! Hot damn!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LATEST EPISODE OF SHERLOCK! excl.png SERIOUSLY, I DON'T WANT THE BLAME FOR RUINING THE EPISODE FOR YOU BUT COME BACK AFTER YOU'VE SEEN IT! biggrin.png

So who ever's reading this has probably seen the latest episode and either my imagination is running wild or Benedict Cumberbatch has red on his nostril for most of the hour and a half! It looks like he's been wiping his nose A LOT so it's turned pink. Plus was his nose running in the bit where Sherlock goes a bit mental and starts freeking out?wub.png Also I was so dissapointed! There was a sign that read "DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU WANT A COLD!" and Watson and Sherlock both entered!! I hoped they would carry it through at the end or something but nothing happend!angry.png Maybe they'll use it in another episode or maybe the sign was part of the plan. Either way I hope Benedict has a few teary moments next week!x

Ha - I have no real desire to see Benedict Cumberbatch sneeze, but just wanted to join in on the love for Sherlock! Hands down, the best thing on TV at the moment. The latest episode was epic - plus Martin Freeman as Watson was a stroke of genius casting. This series blows the Robert D J films out of the water in my opinion... :D

There was a sign that read "DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU WANT A COLD!" and Watson and Sherlock both entered!!

Haha I had the EXACT same thought! And then the nice little remark about John looking peaky....But then nothing. Such a disappointment. glare.gif

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LATEST EPISODE OF SHERLOCK! excl.png SERIOUSLY, I DON'T WANT THE BLAME FOR RUINING THE EPISODE FOR YOU BUT COME BACK AFTER YOU'VE SEEN IT! biggrin.png

So who ever's reading this has probably seen the latest episode and either my imagination is running wild or Benedict Cumberbatch has red on his nostril for most of the hour and a half! It looks like he's been wiping his nose A LOT so it's turned pink. Plus was his nose running in the bit where Sherlock goes a bit mental and starts freeking out?wub.png Also I was so dissapointed! There was a sign that read "DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU WANT A COLD!" and Watson and Sherlock both entered!! I hoped they would carry it through at the end or something but nothing happend!angry.png Maybe they'll use it in another episode or maybe the sign was part of the plan. Either way I hope Benedict has a few teary moments next week!x

Yeah, I saw that sign and started hoping, anyone out there up to the challenge?

Yeah, I guess the sign was fake to stop people from coming across the super secret experiments. Sooooooo disappointing. But Sherlock's breakdown was so well acted, I watched it so many times :P

• 1 year later...

ok i feel so stupid... but what sign? i watched the episode last night but i must have missed it... in what scene is it shown?

Hands down, the best thing on TV at the moment.
Totally agre with you NoV!

Sally- this is a post from January 2012. They're talking about a sign in the episode "The Hound of the Baskervilles"

A sign we are meant to meet...

FUN FACT:

I had pnuemonia at the same time he did. I was like dude...

Archived