Sneeze Fetish Forum

Lalena's Request - The Spirit of Radio

Enkidom

I hope that this is something like what you were looking for Lalena, it's written as a oneshot short story. :drool:

The Spirit of Radio

Matt cast picked up the running order that Jackie, his new producer, had left lying on the table in the broadcast booth; next to the half-eaten Danish and the almost drained mug of the mysterious, overly-stewed, alchemical brew that the station claimed approximated to coffee. He started to speed-read through it one final time. His hazel eyes darted over lines of clipped text with a nervous, focussed, energy, as he made one final effort to commit everything to memory, like a student engaging in that last minute cram before the final examination. Charged with anxious adrenaline, he had ceased to even notice the persistent irritation that had twitched underneath the corners of his wire-rimmed glasses since his alarm had rudely administered its auditory slap-to-the face at 3.30 am – earlier, when he first arrived and before anticipation had a chance to replaced fatigue his first words in the studio had been a muttered “no shit” as he read the weather report and pollen index script, which showed bright sunshine, plenty of humidity and high pollen levels. He was already aware of this fact after spending the majority of his twenty-five minute drive sniffling, sneezing occasionally and wishing that his sleep befuddled brain hadn’t picked this morning of all mornings to bypass whichever synapse controlled his usual instinct to pop an antihistamine with his morning orange juice.

The reason why this morning of all mornings was special? It was the first “WKRT 97 "The Stark Reality - Matt Stark Breakfast Show” and it was the fulfilment of the dream that he had been following since the moment that the bus driver tuned in to Sarah “The Voice of Virginia” Powell in the Afternoon on one dreary journey home from School and suddenly, for half a glorious hour the mundane had been transformed into something sparkling with interest and excitement. Friends at college focussed on the perceived glamour of the television newsroom often chuckled indulgently at Matt’s undying love affair with talk radio, but to him it where one was given the ultimate freedom to be oneself. Stripped of the arcane technical wizardry of the television studio, all a talk radio host had to hold the listener’s often ephemeral attention was the simple magic of voice and words…that was what Matt Stark lived for. Besides, he’d often reply to those who asked him whether he wouldn’t prefer the bright lights of the television studio to the faders and flashing “on air” signs of the broadcast booth with an insouciant grin and a wink, he didn’t want to subject the make-up staff to having to arrange the untamed waves of his messy brown hair into an “anchor coiffure” – it just wouldn’t be fair. The breakfast or afternoon “drivetime” show were the ultimate expressions of confidence in a presenter’s ability – by nature of their timing they drew the largest listening figures and demanded the sort of person who could hold an audience’s attention beyond the items that directly affected their lives, normally limited to the odd news story, traffic reports and the weather.

“Nearly airtime Matt, so finish that cup of road tar and do whatever strange DJ rituals you do before a show, you’re live in five!” Jackie Callis’ somewhat world-weary Brooklyn accented voice announced directly into his ears via his headphones. He looked up from the schedule sheet and caught her eye through the glass of the booth, nodded and gave a quick thumbs up gesture when he noticed her tapping the face of a well-loved looking wristwatch for emphasis.

“Thank you very much Karen, and this station wishes you the very best with the programme. Remember listeners, if you want more information on “Bo-*sniffle*-oking Up” or “Number crunching”, detah-ails are on the WKRT website, www.WKRT.com.” Matt announced into the studio microphone with his “slightly south of the Mason-Dixon” burr, talking directly to his first guest and indirectly to his audience. The first twenty minutes of the show had been surprisingly straightforward, taken up as they were by an interview with a very engaging lady called Karen who ran adult literacy and numeracy step-up programmes. The only problem was that, now that the initial surge of excitement and trepidation had passed, he could feel that deeply-lodged, insistent prickly tickle deep in his nose. He’d actually been supressing the urge to sneeze by sheer willpower for the last five minutes, having missed a window of opportunity during the first commercial break. It was now causing his voice to hitch every so often, imperceptibly he hoped.

“Thank you very much indeed for having me on the show Matt.” Karen replied breezily, then with a wave and a mouthed “good luck” she slipped off her headphones and headed for the door of the booth.

“And now, with the Bus-ihh-ness news…and you’ll want to stay tuned because she’s talking about the topic on everyone’s lips at the moment, particularly the lips of those of you sitting in the jams on I-564, gas prices…here’s Martha Crane…”

Matt wasn’t sure that he’d ever hit the studio fade slider with more urgency in his life, and as Martha’s calm, professional tones cut in he allowed himself a deep breath and an embarrassed grimace before awkwardly folding his six foot plus frame behind the sounddesk to conceal a barrage of sneezes that he had been holding onto by sheer willpower.

Heeeh…HahKSSSSSHH, KSSSHHHH, HehKNNNNXXXTT, HahKSSSHHHooo, Heeeahhhh..ehhKKKKSSSSSHHMPP, KSSHHHooo

The embarrassed grimace returned when he heard Jackie’s “Bless you” over his headset, though it was replaced with a slightly watery eyed smile when she added “can I get you anything? You really should have said if you were sick Matt.”

“Nah, hay fever is all, stupid here wasn’t awake enough to remember to take medication”, he replied, scratching at his nose, which still harboured a persistent tickle.

“Ah,” Jackie sighed “well you’ll get used to the early mornings, in the meantime I’ll see if any of the crew have some knocking around – on radio everyone can hear you sniffle.”

“Thanks for that Jackie, the first bit helps, the last bit doesn’t, but I do appreciate the thought.” Matt shot back, without rancour. The close, interdependent nature of the relationship between producers and presenters meant that they often ragged each other and, while Matt hadn’t had time to develop a rapport with Jackie yet, he hoped that she’d realize that this was all he was doing.

“Just making sure you’re aware so you don’t forget again is all,” Jackie grumbled, with a tinge of sarcasm but no trace of malice. “I’ll let you know after the news and weather if I manage to find an antihistamine for you. Oh by the way, you’re on again in 10-9-8-7-6-5-4…”

Matt nodded in time with the silent “3-2-1” and then cut the fader.

“Welcome back to “The Stark Reality”, I’m Matt Stark and up next we have City councillor Michael Legrande to discuss the recent cuts in the education budget and how they are affecting our public schools, but now, with the time approaching…”

Suddenly he paused for what, to those sitting listening in objective, real time, was only a second but in subjective, booth, time seemed to drag itself out forever. The tickle intensified instantaneously to the sensation of something that could not be denied. Automatically his hand reached for the button that would switch to one of the station’s pre-recorded jingles, before it was snatched away again – there were few “sacred cows” in radio, but the lead-in to the half-hourly news was one of them, no jingles, no commercial break, the newsroom needed to be cut in dead on time. Matt managed to allocate it another task almost immediately though – attempting to muffle a violent sneeze that seemed poised to echo throughout the booth by pinching his nose between his thumb and forefinger –

Heh..KSSHHHMMMPPPFF *sniffle* hAKKKSSHHoo

The first time he was successful, the second time not. With one minute to go until the news there was no time to give in to mortification, there was only time to quickly paint on a veneer of professionalism and begin his lead in patter.

“Excuse me listeners, what I meant to say before I was so rudely interrupted by my old friend Mr. H. Fever is with the time approaching twenty-nine minutes past six o’clock, we take you to Andrew Dunn at the newsdesk.”

“Thank you Matt, I guess I can scratch the high pollen count article now you’ve already announced it, and so, your headlines at six thirty…” Andrew started, the faintest suggestion of a chuckle hidden within his voice.

“Smartass” Matt muttered as he switched over fully to the news studio.

;) Brilliant. :drool:

Very much like your writing style and all the little details you put in that really bring the situation to life. :drool: Thank you lots for sharing this wonderful little story. :)

This is beautiful. <3 Ahh, the character felt so real~ and I can't think of any more words to describe this amazingness...

“Excuse me listeners, what I meant to say before I was so rudely interrupted by my old friend Mr. H. Fever is with the time approaching twenty-nine minutes past six o’clock, we take you to Andrew Dunn at the newsdesk.”

“Thank you Matt, I guess I can scratch the high pollen count article now you’ve already announced it, and so, your headlines at six thirty…” Andrew started, the faintest suggestion of a chuckle hidden within his voice.

“Smartass” Matt muttered as he switched over fully to the news studio.

:P That part was just awesome, I could picture it perfectly! Very good story, I think Lalena will love this. :cry:

:lol: That part was just awesome, I could picture it perfectly! Very good story, I think Lalena will love this. :)

I DO!!! I DO!!!! Thanks so much Dom! I could give you the biggest hug right now!!! Your writing was exceptional ... and the ending ... PERFECT!

The story was wonderful and so much appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I *knew* that she'd love it. I know that I said this to you before- but I believe in putting it to print- I think that this is brilliant. (And I am *Not* just saying that because you are a wonderful friend) Your discriptions and sense of character really put the reader right into the stoy.

Great job! :)

:rolleyes: Thank you all so much, I'm really glad that you enjoyed it. I haven't written anything for a while so was very worried about being rusty!

@Sigrith: Thank you, lol...I'm somewhat detail obsessed (ask anyone whose ever put up with my rants about lack of historical accuracy in movies) so I'm delighted that you liked those!

@Daisoku: Thank you - I like writing characters.

@Chanel: Thank you - I enjoyed writing that exchange, that freedom to banter is actually one of the things I love most about talk radio.

@obsessed: Thank you - Hee hee...and there I was all ready to produce an edited version with just the last five paragraphs or so.

@Lalena: Thank you - and all hugs gratefully received! Seriously though, I'm so glad you enjoyed it and thank you very much for the request, I really had a lot of fun writing something I wouldn't have thought of without the suggestion. Hoorah for radio!

@Tma: Thank you - particularly for being a willing test subject (mwah hah hah hah), that was very much and sincerely appreciated! :jawdrop:

Archived