Sneeze Fetish Forum

Synesthesia

nolongeractive

A is yellow, B is blue, C is red, D is orange, E is purple, F is pink, and G is green. Those are the only ones I got, because I had to color in my little piano chart that way when I was little. I suppose that doesn't count then. xD Does anyone else experience this?

I did a report on synethesia for a psychology class a few years ago! It's really interesting. I don't have anything near as significant as say, Franz Lizst, who reportedly told his orchestra the music they were playing wasn't "blue enough", but it's there to a certain extent. Your letters for instance, are wrong :P A is a sort of mauve colour, B I agree is (dark) blue, C is yellow, D is a dark, but slightly olive green, E is a sort of sea foam colour, F is a dark greeny-blue, and G is an unpleasant mustard-y brown colour. H is purple, I is pale yellow, J is reddish orange, K is bright red... I'll stop there before I go all the way to Z, which is black. :)

Some letters are more definite than others for me as are some words. Sounds I've never noticed with, though that's another very common form of synethesia. In so much as you can call synethesia common...

Hey I'm reading a book that's called "Blueeyedboy" from Joanne Harris and talks about this boy who has synesthesia (well that's not the MAIN subject but it explains his feelings and thoughts and it's very well explained)

It's a very interesting book if you want to read it. I've learned about synesthesia from that book, before I didn't even know that such a thing existet. I think it's really fascinating! :P

I don't have it for letters, but I do for music. Different albums definitely have colours, althought it's possible that this is influenced by the colour of the artwork on the sleeve. Then again one could argue that the artist heard the music, and designed a sleeve based on their colour perception of the songs, either deliberately or subconsciously.

Btw Egg, I love your signature LOL.

Agreed! Last year in one of my classes everyone in the room, including myself, sang "Friday" on a Friday afternoon. My kids were impressed that I knew the words :nohappy:

Sorry for the thread jack ...

I think it counts, pig :nohappy:

Music has weather conditions, for me. I can hear sunshine and heat in certain pop songs. Also, Tuesday is white, Thursday is dark green, Friday is yellow, Saturday is bright red and Sunday is teal. :P

Oh, where do I even begin... some phrases have different images ("doesn't matter" are circles in circles in circles... for example), music have colour, and glasses have a taste. :nohappy: Yes, really. I've blocked those things out during the years for most part, but when I was kid almost everything had a colour, a taste or an image attached to it in my mind.

Helter Skelter

Words have a taste. They're very specific and never change, have been the same ever since I can remember. It's kind of cool but can be annoying at times since I can't ignore it or block it out even if I want to.

I always thought everyone experienced this up until I was like 12, though. In fact I still can't quite believe they don't :nohappy:

Words have a taste. They're very specific and never change, have been the same ever since I can remember. It's kind of cool but can be annoying at times since I can't ignore it or block it out even if I want to.

I always thought everyone experienced this up until I was like 12, though. In fact I still can't quite believe they don't :nohappy:

That must be annoying if you have to use a word you don't like the taste of!

Haha thanks guys. ;D and I'm the same way with my color-coding.. otherwise I got nothin. xD

Weekdays have heights for me. Does that count?

That's so interesting! Counts for me, I don't know about everyone. xD Give me some examples!

Weekdays and numbers have always been specific colours for me. I had a lot of conversations about this a few years ago when I mentioned it as part of my blurb on a dating website lol.. attracted some interesting responders.

I'm still single, however :P

I always thought everyone experienced this up until I was like 12, though. In fact I still can't quite believe they don't :P

I have never thought of words having a taste! That's so cool! Can you give some examples??

Weekdays have heights for me. Does that count?

That's so interesting! Counts for me, I don't know about everyone. xD Give me some examples!

Well, if monday is represented by 6, tuesday is 5, wednesday 3, thursday 4, friday 6 or a bit less, saturday 7, sunday 8

:P

Helter Skelter

I always thought everyone experienced this up until I was like 12, though. In fact I still can't quite believe they don't :P

I have never thought of words having a taste! That's so cool! Can you give some examples??

Sure.

"Can" tastes like stale pancakes cooked in too much butter. Weirdly, "can" when it's used as a noun tastes like tuna fish. "Give" tastes like plain oatmeal.

"Have tastes like soggy frosted flakes. "So" tastes like angel hair pasta.

Hopefully you get the idea. I told you they were specific ;)

Feels really weird to write them out like that actually!

Numbers have colors; letters have colors; weekdays have colors; organs have colors; months have colors

Certain sounds have smells (luckily this is limited because it can be quite uncomfortable).

It has led to embarrassing situations, like where I told my lab partner that "green is red" when i

really wanted to say "green is five" (in electronics, resistors have a color code that

indicates their resistance).

I also sometimes just have to walk away from a conversation if the words get too smelly.

I also fear using some "stinking" words in public.

I find it hard to imagine how life would be without those quirks :)

Good grief this is absolutely fascinating. I hadn't realised it was so prevalent.

I also sometimes just have to walk away from a conversation if the words get too smelly.

I also fear using some "stinking" words in public.

Do the words have to be said to be smelly or would typing them out here cause the same thing? If it wouldn't be too distressing, can you tell us some of the words that smell bad? Is it common that you have to walk away from a conversation or is that something that only happens occasionally? It sounds quite inconvenient.

Numbers have colours. 1 is dark blue, 2 is the colour and texture of sandpaper, 3 is sugar pink, 4 is red, 5 is dark blue, 6 is bright yellow. Beyond there, the colours can change.

I see colours when I hear music and sounds, and I have a friend who tastes food when words are read/said/heard. ^_^ It's really interesting. ^^

Does it count if I give numbers and letters personalities? I always thought of the letter A being hyper and athletic, 7 would be friendly and reliable, and P would be really lazy. Stuff like that.

Dunno if everyone else is like this, but I've asked a few friends and they've looked at me funny, so I guess not? I know it probably doesn't count because it's straightforward, makes almost obvious sense, and isn't directly related to the five senses, but I feel words so intensely. Physically, in a way. I mostly just feel the meanings, but sometimes if words sound or look different than what I feel the meaning should be, or if the words have special significance to me, I feel the "correct meaning" instead.

Examples: reading the word "sicko," I found recently, makes me feel so nauseous I just have to try really hard to think something else. For an example of the experience of a sentence, Vetinari (incidentally, that word makes a chill go down my spine for some reason. Even after reading Discworld and getting to know the character) wrote "Good grief this is absolutely fascinating." "Grief" makes me kinda feel a falling downward sensation in my chest, even though it's not a negative use in this case, "absolutely fascinating" makes my my shoulders and head want to lean forward, but I don't have to actually move. "Sneeze" makes my stomach kinda jolt like when you're in a quiet room, and suddenly someone yells. Or sneezes loudly, I suppose. I guess this is why I am so interested in words and language, or maybe it's the other way around. Oh and another weird side effect is that abnormal ways of writing things, like incorrect punctuation or capitalization, change the way I feel the words. Like a comma in the, middle of a phrase makes me feel like I'm tripping, or like when you're falling asleep and your whole body twitches.

In the more legitimate synesthesia category, my boyfriend has some sort where he hears sounds with certain shapes, so he always hums tunelessly while he draws. And I think he has something related to color but I can't remember.

EDIT: forgot to add, a relevant and awesome comic!

Helter Skelter
Dunno if everyone else is like this, but I've asked a few friends and they've looked at me funny, so I guess not? I know it probably doesn't count because it's straightforward, makes almost obvious sense, and isn't directly related to the five senses, but I feel words so intensely. Physically, in a way. I mostly just feel the meanings, but sometimes if words sound or look different than what I feel the meaning should be, or if the words have special significance to me, I feel the "correct meaning" instead.

Examples: reading the word "sicko," I found recently, makes me feel so nauseous I just have to try really hard to think something else. For an example of the experience of a sentence, Vetinari (incidentally, that word makes a chill go down my spine for some reason. Even after reading Discworld and getting to know the character) wrote "Good grief this is absolutely fascinating." "Grief" makes me kinda feel a falling downward sensation in my chest, even though it's not a negative use in this case, "absolutely fascinating" makes my my shoulders and head want to lean forward, but I don't have to actually move. "Sneeze" makes my stomach kinda jolt like when you're in a quiet room, and suddenly someone yells. Or sneezes loudly, I suppose. I guess this is why I am so interested in words and language, or maybe it's the other way around. Oh and another weird side effect is that abnormal ways of writing things, like incorrect punctuation or capitalization, change the way I feel the words. Like a comma in the, middle of a phrase makes me feel like I'm tripping, or like when you're falling asleep and your whole body twitches.

In the more legitimate synesthesia category, my boyfriend has some sort where he hears sounds with certain shapes, so he always hums tunelessly while he draws. And I think he has something related to color but I can't remember.

EDIT: forgot to add, a relevant and awesome comic!

That's not synesthesia (I think) since hearing the words isn't stimulating another one of your senses (taste, smell, vision, whatever). It's just that some words have very strong emotional connotations to some people.

Archived