Sneeze Fetish Forum

What happened to my avatar?

CDK114

Upgrade fail. It'll probably work if you re-upload it. I had the same thing happen to my signature. I have no idea why some disappeared and others didn't, but re-uploading seems to take care of it.

Oh, I only just noticed you're still a pending member. You might not be able to access those controls until your account has been fully validated. I can't remember when those controls become available. If they are available to you though what you want to do is go up to the very top of the page and click on the little down arrow next to your username, a drop down menu should appear with the top option on the left being "My Profile", click that and (assuming you can do this as a pending member) it will take you to your profile page and then if you hover the cursor over the default silhouette avatar the word "change" will appear in the corner of it. Clicking that will take you to the avatar upload options.

They stole mine too, and replaced it with my personal photo.

Not. Okay.

I'm glad I noticed it relatively quickly. But I want my gif. back! ;__; Damn you, upgrade of evil.

I don't even remember how and where I got mine in the first place. I hope I can figure it out.

ETA - yay google! I don't know how I remembered from so may years ago but it's called "a little night music" on avitarity.com

OOOOOOOOOOOOOK

so before the update I could have an avatar even though I wasnt a full member

but now I cant?

"You are not permitted to view member profiles." I cant even view my own fucking profile? shits retarded.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOK

so before the update I could have an avatar even though I wasnt a full member

but now I cant?

"You are not permitted to view member profiles." I cant even view my own fucking profile? shits retarded.

You were able to upload an avatar when you first joined, yes, but you wouldn't have been able to change it until you were a validated member with the old software either. That hasn't changed, it's just that you only now noticed because the upgrade admittedly did eat your original avatar. Pending members have, unless I'm mistaken, never been able to view any profiles including their own. I don't disagree that its silly to not be able to see your own profile, but I assume it's an all or nothing feature in the software that can't be changed.

You were able to upload an avatar when you first joined, yes, but you wouldn't have been able to change it until you were a validated member with the old software either. That hasn't changed,

Actually HoL had modified things before so that members could edit their own profile before they were fully validated. I think it quite possibly did include being able to upload a new avatar. All they couldn't do before was see other people's profiles. I presume all the settings have been returned to "standard" and HoL will have to go through and try to remember all the changes he had made to the settings ... and then find out how to reset them again.

Please be patient Klaus.This isn't the Snake Pit so please try to keep your frustration moderated.

You were able to upload an avatar when you first joined, yes, but you wouldn't have been able to change it until you were a validated member with the old software either. That hasn't changed,

Actually HoL had modified things before so that members could edit their own profile before they were fully validated. I think it quite possibly did include being able to upload a new avatar. All they couldn't do before was see other people's profiles. I presume all the settings have been returned to "standard" and HoL will have to go through and try to remember all the changes he had made to the settings ... and then find out how to reset them again.

Please be patient Klaus.This isn't the Snake Pit so please try to keep your frustration moderated.

I stand corrected! And I shall now go stand in the naughty corner for being snippy with thoroughly inaccurate information.

I stand corrected! And I shall now go stand in the naughty corner for being snippy with thoroughly inaccurate information.

Don't worry Ouroboros, this was changed recently. Unvalidated members still weren't able to view their own profile properly I believe, just make use of the "Edit Profile" option. It appears that with the new software you have to be in your own profile properly to be able to edit it... so I'm not sure this option can be recovered... but then again I think only Lynne and HoL will be able to tell you that with certainty. blushing.gif

Thank you Sigrith, Vetinari and Ouroboros for answering this, you're all pretty much right :D With the old version of the software, we were able to allow 'Pending' members to edit their profile, but not view it as the forum didn't differentiate between viewing your own profile and viewing everyone's.(This, as Vetinari said, was a change made fairly recently) because editing your profile was done through 'My Controls' while viewing your profile was done by clicking on your username anywhere on the forum.

With the new version of the software it seems that this is no longer possible as the option to edit your profile has now been moved to within the profile itself. Thus you currently need to be able to view your profile in order to edit it. This is one of the many things I will be looking into over the next days/weeks. At the minute I'm still very much in the process of learning what's possible and what isn't with this new software myself, so it may take time, but I promise I will get there! :)

As far as avatars that have disappeared/been replaced are by personal photos are concerned. As I'm sure a number me you have noticed, avatars no longer exist in this version of the software. You now only have a profile picture, which is displayed where your avatar used to be.

So, what this means is:

- If you were using one of the default forum avatars (like Sigrith's dolphin) then this will have disappeared. I saved all these before the upgrade so should be able to re-upload then for use.

- If you had uploaded an avatar but not a personal photo, you should still have it in place.

- If you had both an avatar and personal photo, then I think it has kept whatever was uploaded most recently though this doesn't seem to be true in all cases.

I will be looking to see if we can restore the avatar function and hence return to having personal photos viewable in profiles only.

OOoooh! Were you snippy? You came across as just being matter-of-fact. Still, can't help but take advantage of this special situation ...

*joins you in the naughty corner for some naughty fun*

If it makes y'all feel better, I hate the new software and hope that whoever came up with this gets the clap or something. However, it's here now, we have no options, and we have to learn to live with it ;) If we had had a choice, we certainly would have tried to prepare for this, but it was foisted upon us by our web hosts quite suddenly. So there will be growing pains, yes. But we'll get through it as we always do.

Patience is a virtue... (one I'm not overly imbued with... but I'll try if you do!)

If it makes y'all feel better, I hate the new software and hope that whoever came up with this gets the clap or something.

LOL loved that quote! ;)

But yeah. Staff is making an incredible job, especially HOL, and it'll probably turn out alright in the end. I think what upset most of us was, like Lynne said, that it came so suddenly. It reminds of stirring up a beehive; at first the bees are aggressive and confused, but then they settle again, and start mending things that have been broken. Humans act pretty much the same way.

Of course we want everything to work out smoothly, but I think we all know that it might take some time before we get everything back in its place, at least to some extent.

Archived