Sneeze Fetish Forum

Sixty Glorious Years...!

count tiszula

Three cheers for Her Majesty! Hip hip Hoorah!

History can be pretty historic, do you know? Only once before has a British monarch reigned for sixty years; and when you think about it, it's quite unlikely that it will ever happen again.

But then, I bet they were saying that in the 30s. It makes me feel young, because believe it or not I hadn't been born at the time of the accession. Not a genuine Young Elizabethan, then.....

Three cheers indeed. I have just been looking up the silver jubilee because I remember being in a float procession and going to a street party... but I also remembered it being summer and I find that I am correct because they celebrated that year on her official birthday.

I hope this year is as happy for the children of the United Kingdom as 1977 was for me, and that the memories last as long.

*cheers three times* Indeed a marvellous achievement from dear old Queen Liz.

Interesting that only women have seemed to reach this jubilee, even King George III managed only 59 years. :bleh:

I hope this year is as happy for the children of the United Kingdom as 1977 was for me, and that the memories last as long.
I hope so too. :)

Don't worry, there are going to be lots of celebrations in June, and nice Mr Cameron says we can all have street parties again now that the fascist Brown junta has fallen.

Ah, 1977! Of course in those days they had long, hot summers and the sun always shone. I remember for some reason driving through various villages and stopping to see their celebrations. I know it seems unbelievable , but it was the first time I had ever seen attractive girls with Union flags painted all over their faces, drawing attention to their seasonably sneezy noses.....

• 3 months later...

Well, now that it's all over I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing; in particular the river business, which we haven't seen before , and which really emphasised the importance of the Thames in historical and cultural terms. No gold coach, though, so perhaps it doesn't count......

And once again, those girls with Union Flags painted on their faces....Yum! I wonder if it's because everything seems to direct the attention to their bright red noses...........

I really enjoyed the celebrations, seeing so much bunting up everywhere was wonderful- the celebrations where fantastic the river pageant was beautiful ( even if the weather was appalling that day) & seeing people from all different backgrounds coming together to celebrate was probably the best part.

Read on Twitter earlier someone mentioned they'd seen on a bus a sign saying " Happy Birthday your majesty with love Muslim for Peace" which i thought was beautiful :)

Long live Her Majesty the Queen! If only so that Hugh Dennis can keep making silly jokes about Prince Charles's thoughts on 'Newsreel' during 'Mock The Week'. :D

Oddly I was very taken by a lady of Indian heritage interviewed on the Mall who was wearing a Union Jack hijab; well, it may become fashionable; Her Maj after all always wears a headscarf in the country. Normally I dislike such irrelevancies, and of course Krishnan Gurumurthy on Channel 4 News was quick to point out that there was not 20% of the crowds on the Mall who were black; what can this mean?

Still, it was a worthy occasion; even the so-called popular music [except of course the stuff dating from later than Madness].

Was the Channel 4 news bit the one with Owen Jones as well?

Yes i thought that was a strange comment- i saw many people of different cultures being interviewed by different reporters, it's a shame when people have to constantly bring race & ethnicity into every discussion.

I also thought that debate was very one-sided although it was nice seeing Kate Williams ( who i've had the pleasure of meeting- she's got a new book out on Queen Elizabeth right now actually called the making of our Queen), although i felt she a little to diplomatic and polite to the others & didn't really state her views enough- i mean she is very intelligent & knows her stuff.

I think it really brought people together throughout the weekend, it was really nice seeing many street parties still taking place despite the awful weather on the Sunday- shame about the Republicans having there protests ( although not as many people turning up as they'd have hoped- and it was quite amusing seeing them get booed by people watching the pageant ha ha :P)

Even better news- the Duke Of Edinburgh is out of hospital today, just before his 91st Birthday :D

I didn't grasp who the other interlocutors were. It was a line repeated often on various newses; mainly Channel 4 ; I won't go on as any questioning of orthodoxy is deemed offensive and this happy thread seems inappropriate.

Did I hear that Republicans were demonstrating on the Mall? They must have been astonished to find so many people there, as the news had kept saying that no one is interested in such times of national rejoicing. I assume they had to turn away when Her Maj passed, as for some reason they believe that she constantly rides in a gold goach wearing a crown, and wouldn't want to be disabused.

Archived