Sneeze Fetish Forum

STOP KONY 2012

AppleBlossom

I know, I know. Well, someone had to bring it up. For any of you how do not know about Joseph Kony, he is the world's most wanted man. In Uganda, he has and continues to kidnap children. Forcing girls to become sex slaves, and boys to become child soliders. Some of them have even been forced to kill their own parents. A campain has been created to ensure those #invisiblechildren do not go unheard.

I do want to be part of this revolution, however, there are rumours going around the net, saying that this is a fraud, or that only 30% of the money raised actually goes to where it needs to go. If this may be the case, we will be bringing justice to someone. Either it's Joseph Kony, or the founders of the campain who may have used children's pain, misery and suffering, all to get rich quickly.

Many people have been asking, why now? It is because it was not in the public interest, and did not affect any of the countries which could have helped. Even so, why not other charities, or trying to save world hunger? Would you rather let all the evil people of this world live, only to eat the food of the people that truely need it, or stop such cruelty from even existing?

Either way, we have to start from somewhere. And for us, we are starting at the top.

Just going to... casually leave this alternate viewpoint here: http://tumblr.thedai...-to-stay-as-far

^this. Thank you.

It's a beautiful message for a great cause, sure, but they try too hard to play on people's heart strings. Of course Kony needs to be stopped, but "delivering justice" to one man isn't going to end any wars. It makes me sad that so many people seem to need a "Bad Guy" to focus on in order to care.

Pretty much what Garnet and VoOs said. Though I will add that I think the video does illustrate a very powerful point about the potential for a very powerful global citizenship movement to change the world for the better.

I believe that we need to stop this man, but I'm not sure that giving him star power is the way to do it. Ok, we can talk to our influential celebrities and to the political decision makers, but why is it necessary to coax him out by making him famous?

Stopping Kony will not end all the problems in the world, but one step at a time. What he is doing is a huge thing.

But, JMHO: Putting "STOP" in front of KONY 2012 gives the appearance of the organization doing just the opposite of their intentions.

I somewhat disagree with you Just Older, I don't think it's about giving him star power, it's about getting his name out there in the sense of making people aware of him and what he is doing. Publicizing something that is very much not on most people's radar. Though I do agree that this particular organization is over-sensationalizing somewhat. And there are definitely better charities to donate money to for this cause than Invisible Children.

Just going to... casually leave this alternate viewpoint here: http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

I was just about to post the same article, actually.

It's an interesting situation. And they've certainly got the awareness they wanted. If Invisible Children apparently funding the military doesn't bother you, then fine. It doesn't bother me - you're not stopping these guys by rebuilding schools all the time. But they're funding the Ugandan army, who are riddled with accusations of rape, looting, pillaging, themselves. With that - and the other issues the article above highlights - on my conscience it's pretty clear this isn't as black and white as the video makes it seem. I wasn't planning to donate anyway, but if I ever was to part with money there are more legit charities.

Just going to... casually leave this alternate viewpoint here: http://tumblr.thedai...-to-stay-as-far

It's an interesting situation. And they've certainly got the awareness they wanted. If Invisible Children apparently funding the military doesn't bother you, then fine. It doesn't bother me - you're not stopping these guys by rebuilding schools all the time. But they're funding the Ugandan army, who are riddled with accusations of rape, looting, pillaging, themselves. With that - and the other issues the article above highlights - on my conscience it's pretty clear this isn't as black and white as the video makes it seem. I wasn't planning to donate anyway, but if I ever was to part with money there are more legit charities.

Yes. This.

Share the video as exposure of the issue by all means, but add a warning that this particular organization is not the best one to be supporting.

Yes. This.

Share the video as exposure of the issue by all means, but add a warning that this particular organization is not the best one to be supporting.

Seconded. Thirded. Uh, fourthed. Whatever. I agree with previous poster(s).

• 1 month later...

um....I kinda disconnected with KONY 2012 when I saw that dude wanking in the middle of the street......naked.

+ @Applebloom never noticed your picture, love it. KONATA IZUMI FTW~ #otakus

He wasn't doing it to be an arsehole, though. I've heard the whole hype and sudden tsunami of attention sort of fried his brain and he went bonkers. Basically, if that's true, it's his sympathizers' fault that he did it. :bleh:

um....I kinda disconnected with KONY 2012 when I saw that dude wanking in the middle of the street......naked.

+ @Applebloom never noticed your picture, love it. KONATA IZUMI FTW~ #otakus

While I'm not behind KONY 2012 at all, I should point out, that just become someone associated with it did something bad, it shouldn't really discredit the movement in any way. If you support what the movement stands for, then you should continue to show that support based on the groups activities, and how the group align's with your beliefs. If, admittedly a strong representative, makes some bad choices, I don't think that discredits the idea in any way.

But, as I said, KONY 2012, in my opinion, isn't a great movement to support, regardless.

• 5 months later...

Archived