Sneeze Fetish Forum

Do you ever forget/misjudge the taste of a food?

Mirf

I know i'll most likely come over as completely bonkers (not that that would be anything new tonguesmiley.gif) or Mr. Alzheimer himself, but do you ever forget what a certain food tastes like even though you've eaten it several times before?

For me it's that way with shrimps. I've not the slightest idea why, but whenever i eat something with shrimps i'm expecting something totally different until i actually eat the first one and go "Oh yeah, right, That's what they tasted like". It's not that i've eaten them so incredibly rarely that i couldn't remember. And it's not that it would be several years ago before i had them last or anything. I just everytime associate them with a total different taste and i can't figure out why. I wonder if the first shrimp i ever ate tasted incredibly different, if part of my "taste association brain thing" is just broken or if it's just my bad memory. But if it is my memory then why only shrimps? I can remember every other taste just fine. And i don't dislike the actual taste of shrimp i just never seem to be able to remember it.

Anyone else wanna be as nuts as me? bleh.gif

The only one I can think of has been venison. I've had it before and loved it, and also had it and thought it was utterly disgusting, but I'm not really sure whether that was more a reflection of the way it had been hung or cooked.

Strangely enough, peas, though I haven't misjudged them for a long time. I used to hate peas as a child, to the point where if I had peas and sweetcorn (which I love), I'd pick out every pea and leave it. Then I tried them as an adult and couldn't for the life of me work out why I didn't like them as they tasted fine. Oddly enough they were one of my very few taste based dislikes - pretty much any other food dislike I have is texture based.

Sure, I'm always happy to be nuts! :bleh:

There are many many foods that I used to love as a child I had again ages later and found they tasted much different to how I remembered! I used to love kumara (sweet potato for all you non-Kiwis but that always sounds wrong to me xP) but now I'm really not that fussed about it. I also used to love soy milk and chocolate rice milk, as well as carob (I had a lot of food allergies growing up) but now I can drink regular cow milk and eat chocolate they taste kinda funny to me xP Every now and then I go back and try them again, half-expecting that I'll like it like I used to, and find that nope...they still taste weird! On the other hand, I used to hate lentils, corn and spinach, now I like them a lot, though I have to remind myself I like them each time I have them xP

Olives and mushrooms I've always hated. People keep trying to convince me I'll like them if I "just try them cooked this way/in this salad/etc"...but no...every time I taste them I'm reminded all over again how icky they are :lol:

Tastebuds change and develop from childhood, which is probably why some of the time, something will taste different to how you thought it did depending on how long ago you tried it. :)

But yeah, I do have a weird thing with porrage, in that i forget how it tastes. My brain starts telling me "But we love porrage!!! GIMME GIMME" so then money is spent, i try it and it's like "oh...yeah...." then i spit it out. :lol:

Happens every now and again and it never changes, you'd think i'd learn!

*stick on badge of insanity* :P

I always believe honey is supposed to taste differently than it does. It disappoints me every time.

As a kid, I used to be crazy about food with liver, heart and kidneys, but nowadays, the smell alone makes me want to throw up. I can't put that stuff into my mouth. It's really sad, because I remember how I used to love that kind of food. I tried cooking liver for my cats once - never again. I had to escape the apartment because the smell from it boiling made me feel sick to my stomach. And no, there was nothing wrong with the piece of meat itself; it was perfectly fresh, from a newly slaughtered moose. I just couldn't handle it.

Another funny thing is that I always tend to forget that fish have bones. I love eating fish and I wonder why I never buy fresh fish, or fish myself. Then I do. :(

I guess I've turned into a snob over the years. :lol:

Hot dogs. When I see people eating them I always think they're going to be awesome. Then I take a bite of one and it's atrocious. I'm glad I don't like hot dogs though, that's one less terrible thing for me to want to eat.

Yeah I have this happen sometimes though the only example I can think of at the moment also oddly enough involves shrimp. There are a few different ways that I enjoy shrimp being prepared, but this one kind of shrimp I don't like is this sweet and sour shrimp from a local chinese food place. The reason I don't like this particular shrimp dish is just cause I don't like the kind of breading they put on the shrimp. Yet every now and then I'll forget I don't like the sweet and sour shrimp and order it and be woefully disappointed when I bite into it.

I also have experiences of liking things I hated as a child and vice versa. In particular I remember that as a child I used to think all foods with cheese on them(with the exception of pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches) were disgusting and I avoided mac and cheese and all cheese coated snacks. Now as an adult I can't get enough of it. Mac and cheese is probably my favorite meal, it's actually better than chocolate to me. I also love cheese fries, cheetos, and cheese flavored chips and crackers.

*stick on badge of insanity* tonguesmiley.gif

Ohhhh now i want a shiny insanity badge. All flashy and crazy laughing.gif.

As for the childhood differences personally i didn't eat any cheese or seafood up till i was 7 or 8. Not because they didn't taste good i just never tried them, 'cause my dad didn't eat any cheese nor any seafood. And my dad was smart so of course they couldn't taste good tonguesmiley.gif.

Hmm now i wonder if i had sweet and sour shrimp the first time i ate shrimp and always associate the taste with that.I wish i could remember.

I have crazy food memory. I can remember the flavor of a steak I had on my birthday like a decade ago. I can make myself taste ketchup on demand. Sometimes I swear I can actually feel a food's texture in my mouth if I imagine hard enough. Maybe it's because I was overweight most of my life. XD And I still love food like nobody's business.

I've been disappointed by people preparing the same food different ways... I love General Tso's chicken. It's crispy, it's spicy, it's delicious :) And then I go to the chinese food place at the mall and it's bland and soggy and gross. And now I can't find the crispy, spicy version anywhere anymore! WAHHHHHH. Guess I'll just have to learn to make it myself :)

On a side note, I always think fast food is going to taste so awesome... I crave it, I salivate while waiting in line... and then I take that first bite.... aaaaaandd.....

meh.

I just recalled something else that I keep forgetting the taste of. Peanut butter. My imagination keeps telling me that it's sweet. And then I taste it and I go "oh, right". I still like it, but I suppose my cross-wired brain wants me to believe it tastes like Snickers. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I'm always like that with pastries or dry foods. Yesterday I had some fried rice come with my meal and I thought "eww, looks disgusting". But I tried a little and it tasted completely different! Each time I see fried rice or rice with a sort of yellow color I think it will be dry and not at all tasty. But then when I have it, it tastes good, very strange.

I'm this way with mushrooms! Like Mirf and shrimp I didn't eat them as I child. I never liked them until the past few years, but I'm not so sure I like them in reality. I like the idea of them! Sometimes I buy or order them going "Oh wow, mushrooms! I love mushrooms! Why do I never eat mushrooms these days?" Then I taste them and... blech. Nothing doing. In my head mushrooms taste so much better, and are less slug-like than they are in reality!

Also I'm with Lynne and Jenjen on fast food. Even chips (fries) taste so much better in my mind. Sometimes I get takeaway, find it's gross and then feel like I have to eat it since I'd got so excited about eating it in the first place. (I make an exception for Indian takeaway. Even cheap rubbish Indian food is still really good. Tarkhaa Daaaahhhhl....)

In my head mushrooms taste so much better, and are less slug-like than they are in reality!

'Slug-like' is the most accurate description of mushrooms I've ever read...:laugh:

That happens to me not so much with food, but with eggnog. There are always these random times throughout the year where I think of it as tasting like a vanilla shake all year round, until autumn hits. Then I get some and I find it doesn't taste as great as it did when I was thinking of it in the spring. I mean, I end up drinking a lot of it anyway for some reason because I still like it. But I have that first glass of it in the fall and remember that it's not quite as good as I imagined.

Another thing was corn. When I was a kid, I loved corn on the cob, especially. Then I got braces and couldn't eat it because I didn't want to break them and I hated cutting it off. So it was years before I could eat it again, and then after I got all excited about it, I found that I didn't like it as much as I used to. Actually, after I had braces and couldn't eat certain things the way I wanted to, I found that after I got them off, I didn't like the same foods as much as I used to.

• 2 months later...

Oh, yes!

Peanutbutter.

I used to love peanut butter growing up. Then for some reason near the end of high school and beginning of university, I was completely disgusted with the smell and very idea of peanut butter. I had no idea why. I think my brother got sick and told me his vomit tasted like peanut butter so that put me off. Then one day a few years I gave it a try and, omg, it was awesome! Hmm that reminds me... I haven't had peanut butter for months and months. I have to drive half an hour to get it so I'm too lazy.

Also, raisins. I go through raisin phases. Sometimes I'll hate them, sometimes I'll eat so many raisins in one day I'm not interested in other foods. Heh!

Archived