Sneeze Fetish Forum

Can't get into chat room

Clark Kent

Does anyone have any idea of how i can get into the Chat room?

I just get "a problem with this webpage caused internet explorer to close and re-open the tab" and then nothing.

Any techy help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'd start by making sure your java pug-in is up to date as that could be causing problems if you're using an older version. If that doesn't work I'd recommend trying a different browser, it's possible it's some sort of compatibility issue with IE.

well, we did just switch back to the old chat room, so updating your java might do it, but I used to have trouble using the old chat room in IE.

I was having a different problem with the chat room, which I have just fixed- I know it's not quite on-topic but I'll tell you about it in case anyone is having the same difficulty.

I was able to use the chat in IE but not Firefox- when I tried Firefox it told me I needed to install a Java plugin, but the download link it suggested lead to a page that wasn't there. Following advice on the Mozilla pages, I uninstalled all of Java and tried to use Firefox to download and install the latest version. The installer didn't work. Then, I used Internet Explorer to download Java- and the installer worked! Not only that, but it fixed the chat in Firefox.

I don't know precisely what is going on here, but maybe someone will find that useful.

I had a similar problem to Heathcliff, in that the link to install the missing plug-ins wasnt there or wasnt recognised. So I installed java manually. I did all of this on Firefox.

That might help someone. :)

My experience was slightly different from Heathcliff and Pearlised. I downloaded java using firefox but for whatever reason, it didn't work when I tried getting into chat. So I signed in using IE and it worked. Then when I turned my computer on this morning firefox said it needed to restart for the add-on Java. Now I can use chat with firefox. I guess I just needed to restart firefox all along. I'm so computer illiterate!

^ Yep, I had that error, but I was able to download Java from the link it gave - then I closed and reopened Firefox and it worked. Just restart Firefox, no need to use IE or anything else :)

It's weird though, because for me the chat room "requires an earlier version of Java" according to Opera. At least that's what the popup says as soon as I open Chat: "This application requires an earlier version of Java. Do you want to run the application?" and then I click Run and it works, but still. I'm almost inclined to prefer the other chat room. At least THAT one worked under Linux with no problem. (Also, it looked better. But that's another story.)

This version is infinitely more stable, and has a lot more features built-in to it, which is why we went back to it. Sadly, what works for everyone else won't necessarily be the best option for Linux. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the chat room loads for me, then instantly takes me back to the forum index. What's going on?

Since yesterday I have been having trouble enterng the chatroom. When I click on chatroom it says that I need to install a plug-in, but I am having trouble installing it. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in order to install a plug-in so that I can enter the chatroom?

What browser are you using? I had this problem using firefox, but updating to a newer version the problem dissappeared and I could install the plugin.

Anyone else on a mac having issues? I've had to switch from my ibm due to technical issues back to my old mac (which is ornery and uncooperative so it may just be me) and I'm no longer able to get chat to work. Says I need to download Java, but mac runs it's own version of java that doesn't need to be downloaded and as far as I can tell it's up to date on my system. Not a huge deal, I'll hopefully be back on a better comp soon, but I'm curious if anyone else using a mac has been having issues with the chatroom.

Archived