Sneeze Fetish Forum

Are there any martial arts geeks around here?

DogLover

So, as it says in the title, I'm a self-confessed martial arts geek. (And an everything else geek, but that's not related :lol: ). I started Taekwondo when I was five and picked up more and more martial arts as the years went on. Currently I hold a second degree black belt in Taekwondo and am working really hard on Kung Fu (it's not going well :( )

Not that I'm saying that you need to actually do martial arts to blabber about this with me (that would be a jerky thing to do). It's just something that I enjoy discussing, and I like discussing things with all you people on the forum. So I thought I'd combine the two.

Basically I just want a place where we can geek together out about something that we think is cool.

So yeah, that's it. This is probably totally random and no one will reply. Oh well. *shrugs*

I did Goju Ryu growing up. Did a little Kung Fu for a few years. Then I got into Kickboxing and later boxing for a bit. I like the arts but have not done any traditional arts in a few years.

I did Iaido, and Kokikai and Aikikai Aikido for a few years, and enjoyed it. I don't know if you're on Aku's forum as well but I know that she has a black belt in ... Tomiki I think? I know she loves to talk about that stuff.

I don't practice any martial arts but I find them completely fascinating. Many hours have been lost on wikipedia just looking through different styles. I always enjoy listening to people talk about things they're really enthusiastic about, and real experience is always neater to read than dry articles, so I would actually consider it a favor if you'd blabber on to me about it some time :)

My man does krav maga, which is a sort of martial art, mainly the art of artful (and harmful!) dodging. It's pretty damn impressive in my opinion. He usually comes home with bruises or his knuckles laid open.

I've been flirting with the idea of taking up judo, but I'm uncoordinated as hell, probably too old, and I don't have any money. :lol: Bad excuses, I know!

Oh, hey, people actually answered! I can blabber and you'll listen to me (for more than a minute at a time)! Yaaaaaay!

I've always thought martial arts are like the coolest thing ever. I mean, after training for a while, I can fight people three times as big as me and win! It's awesome. My favorite part of it is the fact that you learn to use your brain to fight instead of just your limbs. I love learning all the psychology, tactics and strategy and using them. Know my advantages and my weaknesses and how they play out.

For example: my main advantages are that I'm fast and people tend to underestimate me because I'm a fifteen-year-old girl. This actually makes fighting huge guys who think that all they need to have in order to win a fight is big muscles much easier than, say, a determined person, smaller than me, who knows how to use their brain. My disadvantage is that when fighting one of those guys with huge muscles that slow them down, if I make one mistake, take one hit, I'm pretty much out of the fight. Which is why I can't let them touch me.

It's mind-boggling really.

I also just love the physical aspect of it too. I'm much stronger and faster than I would be without all the training because I have to work my butt off every time I go. Then I go home all high on endorphins with this huge sense of accomplishment. It rocks.

And then there's just the general coolness of the looks I get when I say I'm a black belt. Or show off injuries (there are many). Going to school with a broken wrist and saying that I got it blocking someone's punch in a fight is way cooler than, say, falling on it in a volleyball game. (Both have happened to me.) I have a cool collection of scars on my knuckles from punching things I shouldn't.

Another of my favorite parts is the teaching. At least where I train, the higher ranks always teach the lower ones the basics and leave more advanced stuff to the masters. Being a black belt, and therefore considered a master myself, I get to teach people something that I love, connect with them and influence their lives. Because of me, that girl who just walked out of training knows what to do if someone attacks her on her way home. It's awesome.

I'm done now. Except for one thing: Maru, your man does krav maga! Another of my favorite martial arts, as it originated in my home country and is taught to our soldiers and stuff. It's really awesome. It focuses on the defensive side and does a really great job of it.

Okay, I'm really done this time. Really. *squashes urge to write another five pages*

My disadvantage is that when fighting one of those guys with huge muscles that slow them down, if I make one mistake, take one hit, I'm pretty much out of the fight. Which is why I can't let them touch me.

Does the pressure of that ever get to you? I assume that since you're a black belt you're pretty good at not worrying about making that one mistake, but it must be at least a little intimidating to know that your opponent has to only do one right thing to end the battle. I guess that means you gotta make them work that much harder for it?

Also what was it like getting your black belt? Both my friends who got theirs had pretty intense stories about how tough and exhilarating it was (feel free to blabber on about it, I bet it must be a fun story for you to tell :P)

My disadvantage is that when fighting one of those guys with huge muscles that slow them down, if I make one mistake, take one hit, I'm pretty much out of the fight. Which is why I can't let them touch me.

Does the pressure of that ever get to you? I assume that since you're a black belt you're pretty good at not worrying about making that one mistake, but it must be at least a little intimidating to know that your opponent has to only do one right thing to end the battle. I guess that means you gotta make them work that much harder for it?

Also what was it like getting your black belt? Both my friends who got theirs had pretty intense stories about how tough and exhilarating it was (feel free to blabber on about it, I bet it must be a fun story for you to tell :P)

Okay, I will blabber :bleh:

The sparring's not really that much pressure, more like a game really. Like I said, they're slower than me so it's easy to dodge. I've been told it looks pretty damn impressive, with them trying desperately to get in a hit and not managing even one, or even getting anywhere near me. I mean, I can somersault over their heads. Come on, that's pretty cool.

On getting my black belt: It's not like this everywhere, but where I train the test is this big monster that's five hours long. It starts with a hour of fitness and flexibility as a warm up, basically a really intense workout that includes running, jumping rope, obstacle courses, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. And then the stretching...which can be summed up in one word: ow.

After that we have about an hour of classic sparring. Some is with our peers, which tests our aggression and motivation more than anything. Some are with the higher-up black belts acting as examiners (I get to do that now. How cool is that?) They basically play with us, forcing us to show them all our clever strategies and tactics and how we deal with being at a disadvantage. It's kind of disconcerting because they can take us apart without even trying.

Then we have to do an exercise called defense circle. Everyone has to get in a circle with one person in the middle. They all take turns attacking whoever's in the middle. The most allowed attacking at once is three. The person in the middle fights them off, thus showing their skills in self defense. The whole exercise usually takes between twenty minutes and half an hour.

After that we have another hour of testing on technical proficiency, which is basically doing the forms. It's really hard, harder than sparring because every technique has to be done perfectly and for the exam you have to know ten by heart.

Then there's a written exam. In Korean. Because Taekwondo comes from Korea. So we have to learn it. For Dan I it's mostly just technique names, but after that you really have to start learning the language.

Then, after all that, there's a board to break. The grandmaster in charge if the exam assigns you a way to break it. You have to break it to pass, which means that if you don't you've just killed yourself for five hours for nothing.

So, to sum it up, it's really fucking hard. But once you pass you feel so amazing about yourself for getting through it. Then, once you're up in the higher Dans, you get to go back and do it again as an examiner, which is much more fun ;)

And here ends my blabbering...

I did Jujitsu when I was twelve up until I was 21, but then couldn't afford it anymore.

I also did Ninjitsu when I was 18 to 20, but I dropped that after they stopped allowing full contact sparring.

I'd really like to pick them back up, but there aren't any clubs around here anymore.

So, as it says in the title, I'm a self-confessed martial arts geek. (And an everything else geek, but that's not related heh.gif ). I started Taekwondo when I was five and picked up more and more martial arts as the years went on. Currently I hold a second degree black belt in Taekwondo and am working really hard on Kung Fu (it's not going well sadsmiley.gif )

Not that I'm saying that you need to actually do martial arts to blabber about this with me (that would be a jerky thing to do). It's just something that I enjoy discussing, and I like discussing things with all you people on the forum. So I thought I'd combine the two.

Basically I just want a place where we can geek together out about something that we think is cool.

So yeah, that's it. This is probably totally random and no one will reply. Oh well. *shrugs*

Took Tae Kwon Do in Junior High, and Jeet Kune Do in High School and during part of college.

Ju jitsu would be pretty awesome to do, too. But... I am almost twenty-eight. Is that too late to start?

I did tae-kwon-do for a few years, quit when I was a blue-stripe belt because it had started to become this big demanding thing rather than just something I did for fun. I've also been to lessons in karate, aikido and judo over the years. A lot less impressive than it sounds- they were all just for one day each. And when I turned up to judo it was purely because I got lost on the way to aikido and didn't notice I was in the wrong class till half way through...still fun though. Favourite quote from my one aikido lesson: "My chi is going to enter you from behind". Teehee.

Hi, I'm an idiot.

Ju jitsu would be pretty awesome to do, too. But... I am almost twenty-eight. Is that too late to start?

Maru, it's never too late to start. Our dojo has beginner adults as old as 60 ;)

I'm a karate mom :) My daughter (10) is a blue belt and my son (13) is a junior black belt.

We've taken a hiatus from training because our dojo is very clique-ish and unless you're all buddy-buddy with the owner, you're basically ignored. My kids were starting to hate going because of the atmosphere there, so we took up swimming and they're working on getting their lifeguarding certs now). They may decide to go back when we move to a neighborhood that has a different branch of the school.

Then there's a written exam. In Korean. Because Taekwondo comes from Korea. So we have to learn it. For Dan I it's mostly just technique names, but after that you really have to start learning the language.

Wooooow that and all the other stuff is brutal. You have got some amazing dedication to learn a language and master a martial art at the same time! Impressive for anyone, but all by the age of 15 too...I'm scared to think about what you'll accomplish by the time you're 30 :lol:

It's never too late to start Maru! We Lynne said, we have beginner adults that are like 50 or 60. Go do it! It's so much fun! I mean, if you want to...

One of the reasons I really like Taekwondo is that at my dojang (dojo, but in Korean) the atmosphere is much more relaxed and friendly. But I think it really depends on where you go, I've been to other Taekwondo dojangs that were really formal or the trainer played favorites. I've found that each martial art has its own sort of "flavor", though. Like, karate is more formal and traditional, kung-fu is really tough and competitive, judo is more aggressive, etc. But that's just the general flavor, a lot more depends on the owner and the trainers and masters.

And to Pilgrim: the tests are pretty much a machine designed to push you to your breaking point. It's one of the ways you show how much you want the rank, your dedication, determination and willpower. And it's really, really hard. Like, really.

And about the language: if you think about it the score on the test only makes up a small part of the overall grade. It's given less weight than things like sparring. So you don't have to know it perfectly, you need general knowledge. Although it is a great way to make up for screwing up a fight or things like that. Also, learning languages is just something I'm good at. Korean will be my fourth. Actually, the hardest part of the written exam for me was trying to focus while coming off my adrenaline rush from the sparring. It doesn't work very well.

By the time I'm thirty I'd like to still be alive. I'll worry about the rest later. :bleh:

It's never too late to start Maru! We Lynne said, we have beginner adults that are like 50 or 60. Go do it! It's so much fun! I mean, if you want to...

One of the reasons I really like Taekwondo is that at my dojang (dojo, but in Korean) the atmosphere is much more relaxed...

I definitely wouldn't describe the Tae Kwon Do school I went to as "relaxed". I came late to the studio once and got screamed at and sent down to the floor for 100 knuckle push ups. I didn't actually finish them, just had to make sure I was making push up-like movements any time the instructor looked around at me until he finally let me up.

laughing.gif It was pretty traditionalist, you were walking on egg shells the whole time.

The only Korean I remember is how to count to 10. Maybe three other things.

Now the Jeet Kune Do school I studied at was completely relaxed.

I did a Kendo lesson at the Elf Fantasy Fair this weekend, and it was FUN. I'd love to take more lessons. Maybe Naginata too. Shouting kiyai and hitting plastic armour with sticks! What's not to like? :D

• 1 month later...

I'm a student of ninjitsu and tae kwon do and I really enjoy it! but I guess I'm a bit of a purist in that I train with the most serious of intentions! please forgive me for what I'm about to say! and if your offended I apologize but... I gave up going to classes because I found that the way american dojos (in my experience) teach to be pretty much useless in a real encounter. I truly believe you fight how you train. (if for example your taught to pull back your punches/kicks in sparring, then you will do that in a real fight too by reflex) and in the schools I went to during sparring they pulled back on your punches and kicks. so that they only gently tap their sparring partners. to me if your going to spar then really spar none of this gentle sparring. I don't mean that you purposely break bones or try to paralyze or kill the opponent but if your going to throw a kick then throw it for real. so now I train on my own without any teacher and when I train it's with full force and intention! as if the fight was real and the opponent/enemy was trying to kill me for real btw I don't train with bokken (wooden Katana) I use live blade(s). to me martial arts is'nt a game and not for tournements or for fooling around! remember that originally it was meant to be used by soldiers. samurai and such and at that time in history, the intention was to kill the enemy (on the battlefield) I don't mean to say it can't be fun or a sport but that is not how I train. I also train so that the techniques become reflex in other words while I strive to keep control of my reflexes the techniques should I believe become so ingrained they become automatic, that if some-one attacks you you will simply react without having to conciously think about the techniques.

Wait... I'm confused. You say you want to train the way you would fight, but you train alone. Isn't that inconsistent? I can understand not wanting to (mortally) wound a training partner/opponent when you work with actual blades, but still. Is single practice going to be sufficient?

Also, I don't think that anyone who wants to practise martial arts just wants to "fool around", even if they don't intend to ever use it in an actual fight. It seems to be that for many martial artists, it's about acquiring certain skills, such as keeping balance and timing and accuracy and knowing your own body and your limits, as much as about knowing exactly how to dispose of an opponent in a fight.

I know a woman (a US citizen) who practised martial arts and from her stories, the people in her dojo don't exactly hold back their kicks and other moves, either.

Have you ever tried krav maga? It sounds as though it might be kind of your thing.

Well, I just noticed this thread and felt the need to put in that I'm an orange belt in Taekwondo/Ohdokwan (It's a mixed style). Actually, I broke my toe and part of my foot testing for my orange belt. Just feel like I have to say that I broke part of my foot and sparred three people after that. I couldn't even stand up after my testing. That is my not-quite-heroic martial arts tale. Anyways, this is such a cool board! I love the martial arts even though it took a while to convince my parents to sign me up. It's so cool that we have black belts on the forum! I look up to you guys!

Hey, cool, this thread got resurrected!

I have to agree with what Maru said: Krav Maga sounds like the right martial art for you, Deathshand.

That, by the way, is one of the things I love about martial arts: there are so many. So many different ways of achieving your goal in that area. And there's almost always one to fit everyone! It's inclusive! Yay! *likes inclusive things*

Oh, and Black_Blade: Cool story! Reminds me of the way my friends and I compare injuries after tests and stuff :bleh: Oh, and it's nice to be looked up to, although I don't think I deserve it. Yay martial arts awesomeness!!!

um Maru you do have a point however and ideally would be able to spar with some-one but the local martial arts schools all "pull punches" during sparring and only allow a gentle tap type thing. it's something I strongly disagree with! I believe when learning the techniques you should learn them properly at ALL times including sparring! (though while wearing safety gear) they also teach that one (in a real fight) should hold back during an engagement and "at worste knock out your opponent". so sorry but I disagree with notion that in as much as I believe you have to be willing to go all the way. (again in a real fight) to break the opponents bones or even kill the enemy. (as determined by situation) hence my training alone! do not get me wrong I believe there should be some restraint and I don't believe that killing the opponent is the first thing one should immediately intend! but I also firmly believe that "in a real fight" one should be willing to do damage to the enemy. for example if my enemy pulls out a knife I have no compunction on using against him. I hate this kinder but gentler nonsense they teach around here. the local schools treat it like it was basketball or golf. it is not either of those I treat it with the same seriousness as the samurai of anchient Japan. if I saw a guy hitting a woman for example he's no longer going to face her but me and I'll do whatever I have to to protect her. (and before any-one goes saying it's because I don't respect women or think they're weak think again!) I have great respect for womens strength and abilities! but I was raised that a man never harms or allows to be harmed any woman or children around him! I've never heard of krav maga and don't know anything about it. but I would be willing to learn about it. and black blade I am sorry you where injured however I have greater respect for you then those who study locally. the people here are not in my opinion being properly trained but as I'm not yet a black belt I cannot open a school or train others. dog lover I think you've got a good point generally speaking. it does include a wide range of people and there are many "forms" of martial arts out there. I however still very much prefer Kenjitsu and Ninjitsu my ex-girlfriend has studied Ken-po style Karate since she was around 2 and it is a good "form" to! I just feel very frustrated because the dojo's around where I live seem (in my opinion) to treat it like a game or at least don't take it seriously and don't teach it properly!

Archived