Sneeze Fetish Forum

Castles & Palaces

Smokey

Sounds terrific; but have they now got rid of all the minor royal persons who used to live there? I know they expelled TRH the Michael of Kents a few years ago.

I've always thought of KP as a place for the royal family to retreat to when Buck House is given over to the miners or asylum seekers or homeless or whoever is flavour of the month at the time.

No there still there- and William and Kate are moving into Princess Margaret's old apartments next year sometime and i think (but don't quote me on it) that that's where Diana's dresses are currently on display- so perhaps more building work? Or maybe tas the room is so small there apartments could be behind the sealed off wall ( most likely i guess). Prince Harry currently lives in a small cottage on the grounds & there's a rumor that he will have an apartment at Kensington eventually- maybe then the extended royals will have to move out? Especially as there children will have all moved out & those apartments aren't exactly tiny lol.

I know some have criticized the new design of Kensington calling it tacky, but i do like it- i think what they've done is really clever bringing the past to life more and trying to get visitors to feel more relaxed, which all Castles and Palaces seem to be doing now- the days of just having a head phone and looking at just dresses & costumes are on the way out i think and a more lively, interactive, fun & educational style is coming through.

I visited Versailles rather recently and adored Le Hameau! What a strange little spot in the midst of all that gold and marble! The whole place is impressive (and massive).

I've been to Warwick Castle too and found it interesting, but the whole Madam Tussaud's bit made it all a bit too tacky for my taste.

The Papal Palace in Avignon, France is technically a sort of castle and is pretty to visit if you're in the area.

I definitely agree with you Dusty on both points regarding La Hameau ( just so splendid) & on the Warwick Castle point- i also found that bit just slightly odd really.

Versailles is just so magical really- i'm really interested in the Restoration work there doing there- it seems a lot of Castles and Stately homes these days are doing restoration work which is nice- and it seems a lot of places in France are starting to do it as well not which is great as it's like there reviving there History... Which is always a good thing.

Have you ( or anyone for that matter) ever been to the Hampton Court Flower show? I meant to go this year ( though stupidly got the dates mixed up lol) went to Hampton Court though yesterday- really recommend the 'Wild the Beautiful and the Damned Exhibition' there- superb artwork.. Old Charles II loved his ladies that's for sure :P

I'm doing my Edinburgh Castle tour at the moment & oh my word i just LOVE this placewub.png everywhere you turn there's history- the buildings are so gothic like, & i love how the streets still have the "same kind of feel as they would have done hundreds of years ago- i'm in heaven here wub.png , Edinburgh Castle is just perfect high up on a hill & the Palace of Holyrood is so beautiful- the atmosphere in this city is just so relaxed and friendly i'm going to be sad to leave :( of course i had to do a trip the Royal Yatch Britannia- beautiful boat that is, you can really see buy the photo's and comments that all the Royals really loved it on there & there's a comment that the Queen said ( which is now written on the wall) "This is the one place i can truly relax" was quite sad to see the photo of the decommissioning with the Queen crying cry.gif . I never really realised before that it was also used for state functions ( Mandela, Clinton, Thatcher etc all been on board).

Also i never realised how haunted Edinburgh is supposed to be.... Apparently the most haunted in Europe?

Well tomorrow it's Ballater- with two days visiting Balmoral- very excited :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you haven't before you simply must visit Balmoral Castle- it's an absolutely beautiful place, so so perfect wub.pngwub.png & i can see Victoria & Albert fell so in love with the place. & the little village Ballater is perfect, so friendly & welcoming- love Scotland

Also has anyone been watching Restoration Homes on BBC2 with Caroline Quentin & the lovely Kate Williams? & did anyone watch the Hollow Crown series also on BBC2? Which focused on the lives/reigns of Richard II, Henry IV & Henry V- based on Shakespeare's plays i believe- i missed them when they where on so was just wondering if anyone got a chance to catch them?

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread after hearing the news Time Team was being axed by Channel 4 :(

Generally pretty devastated by this, where else am i going to get my archaeological historical fix now? Time Team is one of the few shows left that didn't really have an ending point as it could really have gone on & on, there was just so much to discover.

Still having recently discovered 'Tales of the Bloody Tower' on the National Geographic channel with the lovely Suzannah Lipscomb ( another great historian worth checking out :P) series 2 will be on soon & series 1 is on DVD now :)

oh & also Hampton Court have just created a replica of Henry VIII's crown & is on view from 27th October, it looks so life like judging by the picture in the press release, very very realistic.

Where i live, there are 2 castles, Elizabeth Castle, which is just off the southern coast, and Mont Orgueil Castle, which is on the south-east tip. Both are MASSIVE places and perfectly preserved, there are a couple of other castles about as well but they are ruins. Interesting fact about Mont Orgueil castle, it was the chosen buriel place of King Charles I, but his family overruled his will, and had him buried in his current grave.

What? No more Time Team? What am I going to do on Saturday mornings? It seems absolute madness given how many channels it is being shown on.at present.

I did watch "The Hollow Crown", Despite many strange anomalies, including a completely mad tournament scene, it was pretty good stuff. And, obviously never having seen Richard II before , that one was terrific. Also Simon Russell Beale as Falstaff........

I visited Howard Castle this autumn which was great as I'd never been there before. It's more of a palace/big house than an old school castle (no moat or turrets, boo) but still pretty impressive. The grounds are breathtaking.

I also love Pevensey Castle. It's really nothing more than a pile of old stones, very ruinous but it's got to be one of the oldest in Britain. Amazing it's still standing at all really.

Hever was always a favourite when I was a kid as well. (Such a nerdy child!)

That is exactly what i thought Count, it's seems crazy given how popular history has become lately what with Horrible Histories series & the possible discovery of Richard III remains :/ apparently there going to do one more series & then 'specials in 2014'... I suppose Channel 4 need to make way for another reality program...

Thanks for the suggestion re: Pevensey Castle Bruyere will definitely have to check that one out. Must visit Dover again soon as has been far too long since my last visit.

Has anyone visited Pontefract Castle, Castle Rising or Framlington Castle? Those are on my list to visit at some point.

Archived