Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Greatest Queen Debate

Smokey

That would be awesome, wouldn't it? I bet he'd know exactly how to approach her, too. And she'd appreciate his company, no doubt - an intelligent man with manners and wit, who admired her. It'd be perfect. :)

That would be awesome, wouldn't it? I bet he'd know exactly how to approach her, too. And she'd appreciate his company, no doubt - an intelligent man with manners and wit, who admired her. It'd be perfect. smile.png

Certainly would... & she'd really appreciate all the work he did in researching her life & putting such a great book together to re-evaluate her image & it worked :)

Ok there's a couple of other things i wanted to discuss with you guys :)

Just had a really interesting debate with an American guy on a Facebook fan page ( Queen Mary II of England if you want to look it up :D) the admin asked the question: Do you see William and Mary as usurpers or liberators? Well for me it has to be liberators as i think James II could ( & this is just my personal opinions) have been disastrous for Britain- i think he would have wanted absolute rule & would have re-in forced Catholicism back in ( which he had promised not to do- but starting doing just that). William and Mary's reign brought in the current system of 'Constitutional Monarchy' which we currently have, i also think it is pretty telling that James's overthrow is known as 'The Glorious Revolution'- because no blood was spilled & the whole country pretty much rose up.

Anyway this guy got well let's just say um a bit over emotional in defense of James II haha, saying how it's anti- catholic to agree with his overthrow etc lol & that 'Constitutional Monarchy' would have happened anyway ( fair comment but considering James II believed in 'divine right of Kings' i doubt it would have happened under his reign) but what do you guys think? Usurpers or Liberators?

Also has anyone been keeping a keen eye on the possible discovery of Richard III? Very exciting stuff, i do hope it turns out to be him :)

If I promise I'll come back to this with a more well-informed and fair-minded answer, can I for now get away with saying that anyone who prevents Catholicism from taking over a whole country is a liberator, if only for that very reason...? :innocent:

(Because in truth, that is honestly my opinion.)

Of course- your well entitled to your opinion :)

& also i'm glad you agree that there liberators :D

• 1 month later...

Yes, it's okay to call Freddie Mercury a Queen. Puns are sacred and beyond the reach of political correctness, and besides, he pretty much made the joke first.

Oh, wait wrong Queen debate...nevermind.

But seriously, I could debate for hours on the topic, but the short answer is Elizabeth I. Yes, she had a ruthless streak, but by the standards of her day she was practically a humanitarian. Also, given that she proved women could do things _no-one_ thought they could at the time, I honestly think that the women's movement wouldn't have gotten as far as it has yet if she had never lived.

Well, that, and Americans would be speaking Spanish.

Absolutely, the women's lib movement owe a huge amount to Elizabeth, attitudes changed greatly after her reign- she certainly made it easier for the likes of Queen Victoria & the current Queen Elizabeth II- i mean when you look at when Queen Victoria came to the throne there was absolutely no question about whether we should have a female ruler- or pressure for her to marry ( although she did, but not straight away) & this was in an age when women where still a very long way off from having the right to vote.

Archived