Sneeze Fetish Forum

Brave!

EmeraldThread

So last evening I went to see Brave with some friends. Out of all the movies playing, it was probably the one I was most interested in, and yet at the same time, I wondered if it was a little overrated. I'm not a really big movie person, and the last time I went to the theater was to see the last Harry Potter movie last summer, and I didn't really want to be disappointed.

I wasn't.

It's one of my new favorite movies! :D I love the animation, I love the characters from Merida to her brothers to her father, and even that maid who screams a lot. Their accents just make me want to listen to the dialogue all day long, and I haven't stopped listening to the soundtrack since last night. I actually liked the first half of the movie better than the second half, getting to know the characters and the ensuing conflict and whatnot, but the entire thing was absolutely fantastic. It's possible I'm just easily satisfied, but it's not all that often I see movies that I would, without hesitation, go back to see again before the DVD comes out. :heart:

So has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

It was just a masterpiece. There's like, no other way I can describe it xD Every bit about it was enjoyable- the animation was stellar, the music was wonderful (Mumford and Sons at the end! :heart:), the characters were wonderful...just everything. I especially liked how it was just as much Elinor's story as it was Merida's, and how the witch wasn't really the villain like they kept advertising.. Just everything was beautiful. I'd love to go see it again :heart:

I can't wait to see this movie! It doesn't come out here for another month though. Almost everyone I know in places where it's already available loved it so I'm really excited. Plus I really love the character designs! One person I know says she hated it because it promotes the idea that it's ok to fight with your parents because in the end you can get whatever you want. Any idea what she might've meant by that? I take her word with a grain of salt as she has proven herself to be a prejudiced idiot on multiple occassions who would have difficulty convincing people that she has completed any form of higher education, but I'm still curious. Another friend of mine didn't like it because he said it put men in a bad light.

I guess I'll be the first one to play devil's advocate here.

I just saw it yesterday, and I did like it a lot, but I also didn't really think it was anything special. For a Pixar movie, that is. The animation and music were amazing, as is to be expected from Pixar, but I thought the story was actually more than a little cliche. The fact that it's ultimately a kid's movie makes that a little tiny bit excusable, but it doesn't make it totally okay. Toward the end, I found myself predicting how every scene would end, and it took a little bit of the fun out of it when I was right every time.

That being said, I really did enjoy a lot of it. The character designs were brilliant, and I can't deny that I was blown away by the nice little final battle scene. Even though I wasn't totally into it, bits and pieces here and there were amazing.

By it's own standards, I guess it was pretty good. However, I think Pixar can do better.

And Finally, Cherry, That point your friend brought up is actually one of my biggest complaints about the movie. I'll put the details in spoiler text.

By the end of the movie, I feel that while Merida has had character development, she hasn't really learned her major lesson. After the finale, her mother tells her she doesn't have to get married if she doesn't want to, and then basically lets Merida do whatever she wants.

While Merida does express her views to everyone in a very proper way by the end, she still doesn't face a single consequence for what she's done. I feel like the queen learned not to force Merida to do things she hates, but at least from what we see, Merida hasn't really learned anything herself, other than some public speaking skills. I don't think she has to fully embrace her mother's concept of the ideal lady, but she does have a lot of responsibilities to face whether she's proper or not. I feel like she should have learned to handle those responsibilities, but the ending doesn't show that she has. It just shows Merida riding around on her horse again, and the only difference between this and the beginning is that the queen is okay with it now.

However, I don't think the movie actually promotes arguing with your parents to get what you want. I just think it could have been better written.

Archived