Sneeze Fetish Forum

Your love of "nerdy" things

Natsuko

I know that there are many fans of anime, manga, video games, cosplay, etc. here. In fact, here's one talking at you right now. :)

Well, if I may ask, I'm curious as to how much you share it with your family; in particular, your parents. Are they into the same things as you? How understanding are they knowing that their child is (probably) a nerd?

For me, I feel incredibly lucky because my parents are quite chill with me and my sister's current obsessions, whatever they may be. In fact, my mom often watches anime or plays games with us. Here's some examples:

My mom really likes to read "Bleach." Yeah, that series about the orange-haired dude with the giant sword. My sister used to subscribe to the American "Shonen Jump," but when she started college, my mom would be the first one to open it 'cause she always read "Bleach." Her favorite character is Chad, so when he supposedly "died," she was all, "Where's Chad!? When's Chad coming back!? Aww, why would they go back 100 years into the past? That's cheating! Hurry up and save Orihime! I want Chad to come back, too!" XD

Here's another story that I love to tell: My parents met in college and actually got to know each other because they both hung out at their school's arcade with all their friends. They would play Atari games, like "Centipede" and "Asteroids," and when they got a high score, they would put "MLT" and "TLM" in place of their initials. It stood for "M***** Loves T*****" and vice-versa. <333 (I can't tell you how much I want a boyfriend like that...)

Okay, just one more for now! When my mom was pregnant with my sister and then me, she would sit and play "Tetris" on our NES. I joke that I was born with "Tetris" music in my head. XDDD She was a stay-at-home mom, and when we got bored, she'd play "Super Mario Bros." so that we could watch her (DOMINATE, I may add).

In short: my parents are awesome. I love them so much. :D

Does anyone have any stories of their own?

It blows my mind that there are parents out there who can share in the 'nerdy' hobbies of their kids. Both my parents are in their late 50s, and they don't understand video games or anime or anything like that. They were fine with my us kids being into them, but participating?

And now I'm on tumblr a lot and many of the people I follow are in their mid-to-late teens, and whenever they talk about their parents watching anime with them or having their own save slot in a game, my jaw just drops. Though I guess these parents are probably late 30s-ish at the least, so it would make sense for them to be into that kind of stuff. It's still weird to me, haha.

Like...my mom used to play Lemmings and my dad took me to see the Metropolis anime film a long time ago when it came out. And that's as far as they ever went with the stuff. XD

Nope, and frankly I'm quite grateful that I get to have my nerdy obsessions to myself without having to share them with my parents. However, we do share an interest in horses so that's where we sort of "meet".

Otherwise, it's mostly me sharing my mother's interest in history, political happenings and nerdy things in that respect. Well... at least we usually start out by sharing a particular interest, but I often branch out of the initial discussion - my mom is quite fascinated by the Falklands war as such; I am more interested in Margaret Thatcher's political and personal actions, not limited to those during the Falklands war. That's probably not what you meant, but yeah, I'm old. :lol:

Then again, I never really cared much for things like anime, and my parents were always more parents than pals, if I put it that way.

Oh, interesting~

My mom's in her late forties, and my dad just turned fifty, so I wonder if age really has anything to do with it?

I think that's great if you can share something like a love for history, books, movies, etc. with your family. Not exactly what I was thinking, but it certainly works! That's very nice.

A few years ago during summer break, my mom, my sister, and I all read the entire "Death Note" manga at the same time. (Every week, we'd visit the local library and hope that the next few volumes were there. XD) Since the series leaves a lot of room for opinion, we'd have discussions about the story and characters, just like a book group. My parents also watched the three live-action movies with us.

I really love that I can share this kind of thing with my parents, here's something that really surprised me. Last summer, my sister and I were going to a convention, so we made some new costumes. (It was my first time cosplaying, by the way!) Right before the con, my GRANDPARENTS flew in to visit us, and when we explained that we were going, they asked for the two of us to put on our costumes so that they could take pictures. So my sister put on our ridiculous clothes and stood in the living room while my grandma and grandpa took photos of us. XDDD They even started asking questions like, "Who are you supposed to be? What series is that character from? What is that about?" Like, they were genuinely interested in what we were doing. THAT still really blows my mind.

Well, my mom's family is Japanese-American, so they get anime and manga and all that. Maybe that explains some of the sheer awesome that happens. :)

But don't get me wrong; my parents are definitely parents, and I am scared of them. XD

My parents never shared any of my cultural obsessions or nerderies, none of them has ever really played any games, read science fiction or fantasy, or watch the kind of movies I enjoy - but my mother used to read and read and read to me when I was younger and my dad would tell me stories of his adventures (and he has had plenty, I dare say!) so that in the end, they are nevertheless responsible for all my fascinations and talents.

I have no doubt as to what kind of parent I am going to be, and I am proud to say that I will be in the first generation of octogenarians sitting in the retirement homes going "AHHH FUCKING DIE!".

...and telling kids to get off my lawn. Of course.

My parents don't speak Nerd.

My two younger siblings, on the other hand... We nerd together like nobody's business. Our family dinners usually end with our parents shouting at us to stop quoting movies, books and Internet memes. :nerd:

Oh, this. My parents made me into the nerd I am today. And I simply amplified it.

Dad is such a gamer, he brought me up as such. When I was 2, I started going on the computer. XD When I was but a young thing, about 3 or so, I watched Dad play things on the Dreamcast, and before that, stuff on the Mega Drive and SNES. I remember being freaked when he was being chased by the whale in Sonic Adventure. "Dad, the whale---!!"

I remember also getting it on the PC and playing it with a joystick. XDDD Love dem joysticks.

Mum's sort of gone along with all this, she's gotten into it. Not as much as him, but she supports it. I got into anime and manga when I watched things like Digimon, Beyblade, Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptors on TV. <33

I've influenced my sister, and she loves all the stuff I love, and we constantly make references to each other and laugh.

Yesterday, I went to Summer of Sonic, a Sonic the Hedgehog convention in Brighton.

My sister and my dad nerded out with me.

Mum read 50 Shades of Grey to pass the time.

My parents aren't into nerdy stuff like I am, but I think they've sort of resigned themselves to the fact that my brother and I are nerds. We didn't get into anime until I was almost out of middle school and he just starting it, so I think the sudden nerdiness freaked them out a little for a while. They let us watch Naruto and Avatar: TLA every night, but grudgingly. When the new Naruto episodes were on, they'd usually sit there and complain during commercials until they figured out it wasn't a phase and we practically needed the stuff to keep part of our souls alive.

Sometimes, on the rare occasions we catch anime on TV these days, my mum will ask about it. It's kind of funny because she'll ask after coming in during the middle of the show when the episode is from the middle of the season or something, and then I'll end up explaining it from the beginning in great detail. Even though my parents SAY they hate anime, I think sometimes they get a little interested.

I think there's just one thing both my mum and I enjoy in the realm of nerddom and that's Harvest Moon. When I started getting all the games, she played one out of curiosity and then loved it so much she played for hours - even more than I did and that's saying something. XD

It'd be really cool if either of my parents were really into the same stuff as me, especially with anime and manga. I tried getting my mum to read a manga once and she got about 3 pages in before quitting for lack of time. Maybe someday I'll try again, but for now it's just my brother and I. Oh, but when we took trips to my grandparents' house for holidays, we'd watch Naruto there, and I think they liked it. That was kind of weird, but so awesome. And unexpected.

This is sooo interesting~ I am just fascinated by the varying degrees in which parents approve of, and even join in, their kids' hobbies. I guess I always felt like I could share whatever I was into with my parents, especially my mom. They don't always COMPLETELY understand what it's all about ("my favorite 'Hetalia' character is China, Mom, not Japan!"), but they are pretty supportive of my sister's and my strange and unusual obsessions.

But I do see how other parents may not be the same way.

It'll definitely be interesting as the current generation of teens grows up and becomes parents themselves. I always joke that if I have kids, the first video game system they'll get is a Game Boy Color, GB Advance at best. I mean, come on! I started out derping around on my parents' NES and original Game Boy. Yeah, that GRAY BRICK of a console that plays in two colors: green and a different kind of green. XDDD "Like, you gotta start from the bottom and work your way up to Nintendo DS, like I did!" (Urghhh, by that time, there'll be something totally superior, won't there?) OTL

Ahhh~, sorry for that rant. ^^;

Our family dinners usually end with our parents shouting at us to stop quoting movies, books and Internet memes. :nerd:

This reminds me so much of family meals when I was young; so I suspect that this sort of thing always goes on.

Sadly, I am getting more and more confused as to what a nerd is, and what things are nerdly. None of the things identified here existed when I was young. I would have said that the "no good at games" things I shared with my parents were choral music and visiting historical sites, but for all I know these are not nerdly at all. Certainly my parents hated everything modern, like tv and science fiction. I also feel that it would be unwise to spend too much time in these sorts of activities with one's parents because they wolud just constantly be telling you that you were doing it wrong.....wouldn't they?

Hmm, you bring up a good point. I guess we have to settle on a definition for "nerd" and "nerdy things."

A traditional definition would probably describe a nerd as being awkward, anti-social, unpopular, boring, and perhaps physically inactive, yet intelligent. (Thanks, Wikipedia!) But it is highly likely that this has changed, wouldn't you agree?

If you ask me, a "nerd" is someone who has an extensive knowledge, to the point of obsessive, of something. For example, someone who can tell you all the rules and regulations and players and their stats (and on and on and on) in a given sport. A "nerd" is often associated with being into a subject that is not widely known by the majority of people, but I believe that something could be anything, really. Sports, animals, history, books, movies, Internet memes, video games, cultures, vehicles, crafts... The list is indefinite.

So, when I started this thread, I knew what "nerdy" things I was talking about. But perhaps I was being too narrow-minded. I recognize that "nerdy" is actually quite a vague word to use. I apologize...

...unless you guys disagree. Any thoughts?

(This just got waaay deeper than I was anticipating. XDDD)

For me i've always been a massive fan of Doctor Who- even before it become cool again on it's return in 2005, i would have all the videos, magazines, books, toys, models etc etc and watch, read and play with them constantly ( although the model thing went when i was about 11 or so), i've been to a few conventions as well. I've always been a huge sci-fi fan- also enjoy Buffy, Angel, Blake 7 etc. I would say that my family are generally interested in Doctor Who and my parents would always buy me the videos, magazines, books etc when i was younger & occasionally watch the videos with me ( my Dad used to watch when he was younger) and they would take me to conventions when i was younger but they are no where near as big as fans as i am, my sisters have watched some episodes ( mainly the new ones) but again not as overly as interested as me.

Another of my huge interests is History (especially The Tudors)- i just love going to Hampton Court, Tower Of London, Windsor Castle, Hever Castle, etc and love reading biographies written by Historians such as David Starkey, Alison Weir, Kate Williams, Antonia Fraser, David Loades, Eric Ives, Anna Whitelock, Sarah Gristwood, Tracy Borman- i can spend hours with my nose in a book reading about Anne Boleyn Henry VIII, Elizabeth 1, Queen Victoria, Wars of the Roses, the Reformation, the French Revolution- Marie Antoinette, the rise and fall of the British Empire, Napoleon and just loads more- ok i think that sounds a bit nerdy hahaha, i can talk about all of those until i'm blue in the face given half the chance lol, i'm even a member of Historic Royal Palaces- a charity that looks after the running of Hampton Court, Tower Of London, Kensington Palace, Kew Palace & Banqueting House ( none of them receive money from the Crown or the Government) & go to events such as private tours, lectures, book launches, private film screening, tours of areas not open to the public, and you get free entry into any of the castles/palaces mentioned above :D

My family do have an interest in this- i mean thanks to them that i have it really as they really supported me with it when i was younger taking me to loads of these places and buying me books and videos etc..

I do not share my nerdiness with my family.

If I did, the intensity would be so absurd, that they would all turn into a bunch of glasses-wearing, anti-social shut-ins.

Yes, my nerdiness level is so high, that is causes retina damage. One might even say that it's over 9000.

Oh dear, Natsuko, perhaps if you post a list of nerdlinesses as originally envisaged things could get back to normal. Except.....

I am fascinated by the idea of a football nerd, as exemplified by the character of Statto [played by the games presenter Angus Loughran] on Baddiel and Skinner. Given that football is inherently so incredibly boring. how can anyone tell which bits of info about it are acceptable [like the name of the manager of Accrington Stanley] and which are nerdly, like who scored the goals in the match between Azerbaijan and the Faeroes.

...huh? (^~^;)ゞ

I guess what I'm saying is that the image of a "nerd" has changed somewhat. And, I believe that "nerdiness" is a concept that is based in perception. Whether or not someone calls you a nerd depends on how they see you and how well you fit their definition of a nerd.

For example, I would call my sister and her friends "nerds" because they use Internet memes that they find funny in everyday conversation. In my mind, only a nerd would enjoy spending that much time on the Internet, plus continue to reference it in real life. Wouldn't you describe that as "obsessive"? They, however, may not necessarily think so.

Similarly, whether or not you call yourself a nerd is up to you. I would call myself a "Hetalia" nerd because I've seen every episode (in two languages), dress up as the characters, sing the songs, etc. Basically, it currently takes up quite a large chunk of my life, and I enjoy it very much.

Seriously, I did not expect this thread to take such a drastic turn in a direction that is breaking my brain... But I hope you guys are finding it as interesting as I am.

• 3 weeks later...

My parents don't like the same things I do really. I am really into interesting fashion (creating cool outfits, designing sketches of clothing) and vintage stuff- telephones, luggage, clothes, jewelry boxes. No one really seems to care when I go on about these things, so I usually only talk to my boyfriend about my nerdy things and current obsessions. He's kind of required to listen, isn't he? :P Right now I am really big into going to estate sales on the weekend, hunting for vintage treasures (although I wish I had a truck and more space) so that I can perhaps sell my finds on Etsy. My parents listen, but they only seem somewhat interested most of the time, like most people. Too nerdy I guess.

In a word... no. I bother them with it every once in a while, but they don't really care or want to understand what I'm talking about. Well, I suppose I can talk with my mother about music (mostly classical), but that's more as a teacher/pupil thing than anything else. :lol:

My father was always really confused at why I loved anime/manga so much back home, so he was never really into it. But since I moved in with my fiance', it turns out his dad's just about as much of an otaku as I am! We've gotten lost in discussions about our favorite shows, he lets me read the mangas he has and even has a couple of friends at book stores that gave me a discount on buying anything I want as long as my fiance' joins me :D I guess you can say it pertains to this, since he'll be my father-in-law in due time ^-^;

I suppose I sort of attempt to educate them somewhat, although I guess they don't entirely 'get' some of the things I'm into. My Grandmother still thinks the music I listen to is an absolute noise, and doesn't get the concept of metal vocals at all. She's all "but I can't hear what they're SAYING! D:"

My mother vaguely understands my love for Steampunk :3 She bought me the most amazing antique pocket watch for my birthday two months ago and made me a steampunk-themed card. It was awesome <3

None of my family actually share my love for nerdy things, though, although my mother did ask to play Skyrim with me once :D

My father is a nerd. A classic computer nerd. He teaches things related to information technology at a college, builds computers in his freetime, he has written articles to magazines and a schoolbook about the subject.

He got really into computers and decided to become an engineer because he was a big fan of Yoko Tsuno when he was younger. He also loves movies (mainly action and comedy) and watches them whenever he has time. He's seen basically every film they show on TV here at least once.. Or knows what it's about, so he can actually tell the plot etc. When me and my younger brother started buying manga, he used to read them too.. He used to read A LOT of comics of all kinds as a teen. And he still likes them.

Me and my brothers are all kinda nerds.... but different types.

I'm an Internet nerd, basically. And I have some qualities of an anime/manga nerd too.

The middle brother is a Narutard. It's my fault.

The youngest brother is definitely the least nerdiest.. but he's sort of an Internet and FPS nerd.

My mother doesn't really approve.

My parents don't speak Nerd.

I like your sense of humor.

I think because of the generation gap between me and my mom we dont share many of the interests I have that I would consider nerdy. As I think of it, though, most of those things are technology based (TV shows, certain video games, mobile devices, etc). She is 66 so I guess I'm not surprised. My sister observed that the generation gap is going to be much smaller between us and our kids (if we have them). I think that's true. When I'm old, I'm probably going to be telling my grandkids "When I was your age, my video game controller only had 2 buttons- A & B." They will probably laugh at me. smile.png

Oh, and I should prob answer the question too, huh? I think my mom is nerdy about thing that apply to her generation. She gets over-excited about organizing and her mahjong group that meets every Sunday at 2pm. She has everything in its perfect little place when they arrive. I also wonder how much of my parents' mannerisms and character traits passed on to me.

My parents have their nerdisms, mostly music-related, and I have inherited them to a considerable extent. However, they'd never understand my fangirling over my favourite manga and anime. I keep that from them as too irrelevant to discuss, but I do share it with my eldest sister.

I share a few things with my relatives here and there, but I think I'm the most extreme.

My dad is a bit of a movie buff like myself, but I just feel like I go way farther with it than he does. 50% of everything I say consists of movie quotes, while his references are more limited.

Neither of my parents are into video games at all. My grandparents have a Wii so they can use it for golf stuff (they're totally obsessed, but who am I to judge? xD) and my dad sometimes uses it when we visit them, but that's about it. In the past my dad would try to play video games with my brother and I, but I always felt bad because it was really obvious he wasn't enjoying it.

My parents think it's weird that I like anime and Disney movies and stuff, but they don't go out of their way to bring it up, so I usually just let it sit.

Oh yeah. My dad got me into the old Star Trek films and we play videogames together whenever we can.

Plus, my mom watches Doctor Who with me, and she's pretty into it. Not as much as myself of course! But my folks do have a dash of nerdyness in their souls, thank goodness.

Archived