Sneeze Fetish Forum

Books You'd Like to See Made Into Movies

VoOs

I have a bunch of books (and the odd manga) that I would just love to see adapted onto the big screen. I can't be the only person with movie-adaptation dreams, so, I thought it might be a fun thing to talk about. :>

• First, there is Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. This is one of my all-time favourite King novels. I'm a sucker for "surviving in the wild"-type of movies, and with the right child actress in the leading role I think this story could make a great film. (My sister agrees with me on this. She is a massive movie geek and is very interested in movie-making, and I keep telling her she should hurry up and become an internationally famous director and make this movie happen. laughing.gif )

• Then there is Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens. I've seen many rumours about this project floating around the Internet for years, but now it finally seems like a tv-adaption might become reality? Sometime in 2013? I have no idea if this is true, but I think I would prefer a movie-adaption to a tv-series. But I guess beggars can't be choosers, and god knows I've been silently begging for someone to take this brilliant book and give us some live-action demon/angel bromance to drool over look at. wub.png I'm so in love with both Crowley and Aziraphale it's not even funny. I love them so much I'm a little scared to even imagine possible casting choices for them. *bites lip* Ahem. Anyway. I adore this book to bits and I want to experience it on a screen, darnit!

• Speaking of brilliant fantasy books - next on my wish-list is (the deliciously British) Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I've read movie rumours about this one too, but so far things don't look very hopeful. It's a massive, complex work, and an adaption would probably be a mighty challenging task, but... god, I just know it would make a gorgeous magical costume drama, with all that glorious dark, dry humour and, and, and... Jonathan Strange. dribble.gifPlayed by Benedict Cumberbatch. Yes. Shush. He would make a perfect gentleman magician. He even looks the part. AndJonathanStrangeHasAColdAtOnePointInTheBookSo... I mean what? blushing.gif

• What else, what else... Oh yeah: Monster by Naoki Urasawa. The scariest, most haunting and profoundly human manga I've ever read. Possibly the scariest, most haunting and profoundly human story I've ever read, period. The main antagonist scares me absolutely shitless. While the anime-adaption is truly masterful, this psychological thriller is simply too good to not be experienced by a larger audience (of non-anime geeks). Apparently New Line Cinema bought the rights to Monster back in 2007-2008, but that project seems to have died somewhere along the way too. Such a shame...

Oh dear. Sorry about the wall of text. heh.gif

Now: what are your dream movie-adaptions? Directors of choice? Actors you'd love to see play a certain character? Hm? Hm? bounce.gif

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I second this!!

Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Or anything by John Green, period.

I really adore 'The Book Thief' but I don't think I'd want to see it as a film...I actually might be interested if it was really high quality animated film. I just don't know how film can translate the whole narrator part without problems.

Most of the books I'd want to be films already have films, so I don't have much else to add to this unless I remember something I've read a while back ! :-P

The Giver. Something I read in middle school about a boy who lives in a crapsaccharine world. Selected as the society's Receiver of Memory, all memories and images of the world before it became saccharine are transferred to him by his predecessor, now called the Giver. Eventually, he sees the community for what it really is, and tries to get out.

Any James Bond book not by Ian Fleming. There's plenty of titles and authors to choose from. I really wish they'd consider using them, especially Raymond Benson's Doubleshot, which features a villain surgically altered into a doppelganger of 007.

The Montmorency series would be fun in movies, I think.

Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta books. Which apparently are listed as being in pre-production, but with Angelina Jolie signed up for the leading part and I cannot see her as Scarpetta. Sorry, but with another actress, I would be thrilled to see these books made into movies.

Dean Koontz' "Lightning". That's the only good Koontz I've read, and I would love to see it made into a movie.

Stephen King's "Gerald's Game", "The Talisman", "Rage", and a couple of his short stories that were never adapted for the screen. I also think they should do a serious and high-budget miniseries of "IT" instead of a remake 3-hour-movie, and give "The Dark Tower series" every single penny it needs to translate its amazingness to the silver screen. (also, I'm greedy and picky when it comes to King. I want to make sure it's Frank Darabont who directs, because he "gets" King, if "Shawshank Redemption", "The Green Mile" and "The Mist" are anything to go by...).

All the Lord Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy L. Sayers. Unfortunately, I don't know whether the right actor for that particular part even exists... although I could sort of see Hugh Laurie pulling it off. With Stephen Fry playing Bunter, and Emma Thompson playing Harriet, and Alan Rickman playing Inspector Sugg... yes, that might actually work pretty well! :wub:

The Giver. Something I read in middle school about a boy who lives in a crapsaccharine world. Selected as the society's Receiver of Memory, all memories and images of the world before it became saccharine are transferred to him by his predecessor, now called the Giver. Eventually, he sees the community for what it really is, and tries to get out.

I read The Giver when I was in middle school as well! Nice to see I'm not the only one here who loves that book! I would totally love to see that made into a movie. My second favorite book is the Maze Runner by James Dashner, which I heard they actually might make into a movie. If they do, I'm definitely seeing that!

id love to see "Darkfall" by Dean Koontz made into a movie, wonder if anyone else has even heard of it lol....that would be one creepy ass horror flick. but im not even sure about that...kinda afraid they wouldnt make it as good as it can be, or would just ruin what you see in your mind reading that thing..its definitely one of the best horror novels ive read in a long time. they should also make more of Stephen Kings short stories into movies...i know alot of them are, but there are some real good ones they havent done....like "Rainy Season"..that would be funny to see

Several Angela Carter books; what a loss her early death caused. Most are intensely cinematic, and I can only assume they have till now been too magical-realist to be done; but fantasy films being easier to do now, I can't understand why only The Company of Wolves has been done, and that right oddly.

Sadly I can't remember any details of the books, but the Dr Hoffmann one and the New Eve one are gripping in the extreme.

Maru, have you seen the BBC tv version from the 80s of any of the Wimsey books? Edward Petherbridge is a pretty good Lord Peter. They are on YouTUbe posted by BaroqueJazzPlay. Lord P even remarks "Music for awhile/ Doth all our cares begule " as he ends his organ solo in the Oxford college. Sadly they can#t bring themselves to end with "Placetne, magistra", but you cant have everything.....

A must for all you suit fans, surely.......

All the Lord Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy L. Sayers. Unfortunately, I don't know whether the right actor for that particular part even exists... although I could sort of see Hugh Laurie pulling it off. With Stephen Fry playing Bunter, and Emma Thompson playing Harriet, and Alan Rickman playing Inspector Sugg... yes, that might actually work pretty well! wub.png

I don't know the series- but if they did it with that cast- I'd be in line straight away. :wub:

Now I have *more* books to look for... I see what y'all are doing to me. :P

Oh, I just remembered, The Keys to the Kingdom books by Garth Nix. I'd LOVE for Alfonso Cuarón to get a hold of that.

A couple of Alison Weir books 'Innocent Traitor'- tells the story of Lady Jane Grey & her new one 'A Dangerous Inheritance' about her sister Lady Katherine Grey would be fantastic :) - especially as dangerous inheritance has supernatural elements in it.

Definately 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak.

Theres another great historical fiction novel out there, 'A Thread Of Grace' by Mary Doria Russel, but its almost so long that it would need to be an HBO series or something.

Theres another great historical fiction novel out there, 'A Thread Of Grace' by Mary Doria Russel, but its almost so long that it would need to be an HBO series or something.

Ooh i'll have to check that out, am a big fan of historical fiction :), what particular period is it?

Ooh i'll have to check that out, am a big fan of historical fiction smile.png, what particular period is it?

WW II

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I just remembered, The Keys to the Kingdom books by Garth Nix. I'd LOVE for Alfonso Cuarón to get a hold of that.

I think I've just found my soulmate.

Sticking with Australian authors, the Obernewtyn series could be really interesting on film...

And... I think it's called The Wind Singer, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you the author. It read amazingly well, but I can see it transcribing pretty smoothly too.

...On that note, I'd like a new film of the Iliad. One that actually features the Gods. They can do it in 'The Avengers', they can do it in other films. :yes: I greatly fancy Charles Dance as Zeus.

Stephab13 the Odyssey is already a film (kind of) there's a miniseries adaption that I studied this year in classics class that I can give you a youtube link to if you want to watch it, I dont advise it though, its made in the 80s or something and its really... not that good... Was pretty funny watching it in class though.

Personally I'd love to see Joanne Harris' Runemarks as a film, it's such an amazing book and would love to see how it would be done, plus the more Loki the better <3 biggrinsmiley.gif

Stephab13 the Odyssey is already a film (kind of) there's a miniseries adaption that I studied this year in classics class that I can give you a youtube link to if you want to watch it, I dont advise it though, its made in the 80s or something and its really... not that good... Was pretty funny watching it in class though.

Oooh, interesting! I'd love to see a proper, modern epic of it though. With Matt Bomer... though I actually think he'd make a better Aeneas... :-)

Archived