Sneeze Fetish Forum

Free ideas

Demosthenes

I can't stay focused to write even the shortest of stories anymore, but I still have a unique idea now and again. For me it seems, having a unique, strange, or exaggerated scenario surrounding the sneezing really builds the tension in a story.

I don't know if this belongs somewhere else (in what you would call a drabble topic perhaps?), but I wanted to start a topic where people could post story prompts that other people could freely use to inspire them to write.

These are some that were on my mind recently:

1. A story focusing on the world's longest buildup. (I wrote something like this once and it got lost.) I'm talking about a buildup so long that someone will have their nose horribly tickled, and then it could take days or even years for them to actually sneeze. The sneeze might be delayed longer, but all attempts to hold it back will fail to stop it completely. Of course it's probably that the world's longest buildup will also result in the world's largest sneeze. Doesn't it stand to reason that a sneeze years in the making could cause hurricaines?

2. Sort of the opposite of #1. A story focusing on the suddenness and unexpectedness of a sneeze. Example: "In another minute she would be overwhelmed by an irresistable urge to sneeze. But it wasn't there yet. The tingle in her nose was too faint, the itch too subtle. No one would have guessed from the look on her face, that in a few short moments she would be unable to contain a sneezy explosion."

3. A time travel agent is sent back to cause or prevent a sneeze that will trigger an important series of historical events.

This is a great idea! I have so many half finished/formed ideas floating around, but I'm still convinced I'll get around to them someday so I'm not ready to release them from my care just yet... You've tempted me with that time travel idea too (I've been wanting to write something non-fanfic, but coming up blank).

Somehow, I think I'm going to be tempted by every prompt that comes up, but I'm looking forward to it :P

Wow, number three is a great idea. Just imagine if the would-be sneezer was highly sensitive, with the agent having to go to all sorts of lengths to stop the sneeze.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These ideas are awesome, Demos! That longest buildup idea would make an excellent story I believe, that would be an enormous sneeze!

• 3 months later...

4. Charlotte has a horrible cold, but has to go into the office anyway. She is very concerned that she is contagious and really wants at all costs to keep any of her coworkers from catching her illness. As she's sitting in the crowded lunch room vigorously shaking pepper over her lunch, she suddenly feels an incredible urge to sneeze. Knowing that stopping this inevitable sneeze is impossible and that covering won't be of much use, she tries vainly through hitching breaths to warn those sitting near her that she can feel a sneeze coming on that will doubtlessly shower them with cold germs.

• 2 years later...

I actually started writing up something for this, but I've since scrapped it a lost what I had. Anyway, I thought it was a fun idea someone might use.

5. The world is revolutionized by one eccentric man's vision for a Sneezes Industries company. Now an automated "Sneeze Center" on every street corner (imagine a slightly larger and more private phone booth-type thing) provides for all society's sneeze-related needs. You can select from services such as "Start a sneeze," "Trigger a stuck sneeze," "Prevent a sneeze," etc. The computer system takes in some basic information (known allergies, number of sneezes desired, length of buildup, etc.) and then releases irritants into the booth causing the desired sneeze(s) or takes action to stop the already impending sneeze.

I then had the idea that the story could follow a young woman recruited to work for the company by its elusive founder. This would allow us to explore the inner workings of Sneeze Industries including new sneeze-inducing R&D. Sneeze Industries could also specialize in field work where agents are contracted to either induce or prevent sneezes from specific individuals at a certain time.

• 2 years later...

I've recently been reading Junji Ito's Uzumaki, which is a bizarre supernatural horror manga.  Chapter 14 "Butterflies" is sort of a turning point where logic really starts to break down in the story.  The chapter's title is based around the butterfly effect where "the flapping of a single butterfly's wings can create a hurricane on the other side of the world."  The chapter takes place in a town where the effects of air pressure are multiplied exponentially so that the merest sudden motion or loud noise creates an immense whirlwind or tornado.  The characters do a lot of sneaking around moving slowly and quietly so as to not stir up a whirlwind and avoiding gangs of kids going around blowing down buildings with a deep breath.  A reporter who visits the town and doesn't realize the danger accidentally kills someone with a whirlwind created by her scream. 

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this, but it really got me thinking about what a person would do if they realized they had to sneeze under these conditions.  I know a lot of people have already written "giant sneeze" fics.  I just thought this would be an interesting way of setting up the back story for that kind of scenario. 

• 8 months later...

This is such a good idea :) It's great to see free to use prompts around. I'll be sure to put some in once I can think of what I kept meaning to write. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/11/2012 at 6:58 PM, Demosthenes said:

I can't stay focused to write even the shortest of stories anymore, but I still have a unique idea now and again. For me it seems, having a unique, strange, or exaggerated scenario surrounding the sneezing really builds the tension in a story.

I don't know if this belongs somewhere else (in what you would call a drabble topic perhaps?), but I wanted to start a topic where people could post story prompts that other people could freely use to inspire them to write.

These are some that were on my mind recently:

1. A story focusing on the world's longest buildup. (I wrote something like this once and it got lost.) I'm talking about a buildup so long that someone will have their nose horribly tickled, and then it could take days or even years for them to actually sneeze. The sneeze might be delayed longer, but all attempts to hold it back will fail to stop it completely. Of course it's probably that the world's longest buildup will also result in the world's largest sneeze. Doesn't it stand to reason that a sneeze years in the making could cause hurricaines?

2. Sort of the opposite of #1. A story focusing on the suddenness and unexpectedness of a sneeze. Example: "In another minute she would be overwhelmed by an irresistable urge to sneeze. But it wasn't there yet. The tingle in her nose was too faint, the itch too subtle. No one would have guessed from the look on her face, that in a few short moments she would be unable to contain a sneezy explosion."

3. A time travel agent is sent back to cause or prevent a sneeze that will trigger an important series of historical events.

If it's ok with you, I would like to try writing out scenario 1?  You could PM me if you had specific requests.  Otherwise I'll just make something up.

Archived