Sneeze Fetish Forum

American accents?

sneezewuv

I'm very much an accent whore too and yes American ones are sexy. I know there are loads of accents there but to be honest I couldn't differ between states or anything. I mean I could tell the difference between a Texas accent and a New York accent or whatever but that's about it. I'm usually pretty good at guessing accents but in my head American is just American which is a very small-minded view I know considering it irritates me when people say the same about the "British accent"(even though we are split by country). I'm trying to learn the different American accents. Oh and I'm welsh and our accents are very different from accents in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. In fact within Wales we have different accents. Gosh I've used the word "accents" a lot....

To be fair, I think that despite being a lot smaller the UK actually has more variety in terms of distinct accent than the U.S. does. We might technically have more variety, but most of the differences are subtle from state to state, the major differences in accent are between larger regions. I've lived and traveled around New England my whole life and unless someone had a specifically Boston or really distinct Maine accent there's no way I could tell which state they were from. Whereas even not being from the UK, just from watching a lot of BBC television I can hear a lot more differences in English accents than American ones. (I specify English because it would be pretty hard not to notice the uniqueness of Scottish, Irish, and Welsh accents.) Mind you, I couldn't tell you what specific part of England most of them go with, but I can tell they're definitely not the same accent.

Interesting response! I loved how you said that despite being smaller, the accents vary more. I think that TV isn't always a good place to determine things, but in general yea. I'd love to go over there and find out for sure!!

I have a ridiiiiculous accent, in my own mind. Everyone around here does. I'm from south-central Michigan(American), but we don't have that stereotypical northern accent, or a midwestern sort-of accent, or even a normal American one. Something about this area has just a ridiculous habit of combining a bunch of accents; we draw out certain letters, usually sharp vowels, particularily "i" but others as well. (For instance, "LiiIving", WiiInter", "My name is Maadge" but also the occasional "Abouuut" and sort of rolled vowels further north.) There also seems to be a few weird instances where we get really Southern. In my family it makes sense, because my dad's family is from Alabama, but most everyone around here is European in descent and immigrated directly to the state. It's weird.

Also, you Brits, and any Australians around here; God, you guys are waaaaay sexy to listen to.

Can I butt in as an Australian? While usually I'd... not quite take offence, maybe laugh, if you called me British...

I think, as long as you can speak in proper English, it's fine. Southern accents - NOT the dialect though - are seriously hot. My... friend who may or may not get benefits when I see him, because he lives 13,000 miles away... calls me darl or will occasionally adopt the drawl, and I melt. But, when you start losing touch with syntax, I stop listening.

That being said... I have entered into many the argument over spelling.

But... what I actually originally meant to say... New York (can I lump Boston into this? And the whole... North East of the country?). I went there a year ago, and I've found that the people there have the most trouble understanding my accent. Which actually amuses me so much because, I think that area has the most in common with my accent...

And, yes, there are SO differences in Aussie accents. Have you tried comparing someone from Perth, from Brissy, from Sydney or Melbourne?!

And (oh, look at the hypocrite, complaining of grammar and starting sentences with conjunctions!) can you please, please, please explain how our accents are in any way pleasing? Because, I swear to God, every single sentence becomes a question, and we all speak through our noses... How on earth is that attractive?!

Now, Dublin or, well, basically the entirety of the UK, accents, on the other hand...

• 1 month later...

I have a ridiiiiculous accent, in my own mind. Everyone around here does. I'm from south-central Michigan(American), but we don't have that stereotypical northern accent, or a midwestern sort-of accent, or even a normal American one. Something about this area has just a ridiculous habit of combining a bunch of accents; we draw out certain letters, usually sharp vowels, particularily "i" but others as well. (For instance, "LiiIving", WiiInter", "My name is Maadge" but also the occasional "Abouuut" and sort of rolled vowels further north.) There also seems to be a few weird instances where we get really Southern. In my family it makes sense, because my dad's family is from Alabama, but most everyone around here is European in descent and immigrated directly to the state. It's weird.

Also, you Brits, and any Australians around here; God, you guys are waaaaay sexy to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hardcore southern accent... and i HATE the new york/jersey accents... with a passion.. theyre like nails on a chalk board to me! My favorite would be Australian though O:)

Archived