Sneeze Fetish Forum

Transferring to a Different University? Need Advice...

_Daisy_

So, I attend Loyola University Chicago now, and while I do really like the school...I don't know...I just feel like it isn't a perfect match. There seems to be a stereotypical "Loyola student", and I just don't fit into that mold. Don't get me wrong, the classes are great, the professors are amazing, and the campus is stunningly beautiful...but I still always feel like I'm on the fringe of things. I have a few close friends here, but most of the students tend to be incredibly vapid, ridiculously wealthy, and not at all concerned with academics. I guess I had this idyllic portrait of what college would be like, and this just doesn't measure up. I wanted an environment that was constantly stimulated with intellectual activity, where the students were truly passionate about their coursework and not just caught up in petty drama and clothing purchases.

Loyola was actually the only school I applied to. My guidance counselor told me that I would get ample financial aid and scholarships...and I did-- I got a full ride. However...I just don't know...I come from a considerably low-income background, and I don't know how I would pay for UChicago even if I did get in (which I'm not sure that I could), but I don't know if it's worth going through the next 3 years just going through the motions of attending club meetings and hanging around people who I like well enough but don't feel like I have any true connection with.

So...any suggestions?

Honestly, if you like the school as much as it seems you do apart from the social life, AND you have full ride, I wouldn't transfer at all. The thing is it's unlikely that any school is going to completely measure up to your ideal and to be honest it sounds like you've got it pretty good at the moment. What about trying to find a more appealing social life outside of campus? I've never lived in a city, but I would have thought there must be a lot of opportunities for different social scenes in a city outside of your campus.

That said, if you're set on transferring I would recommend doing a lot of research on the schools you're interested in transferring to and then getting in touch with the transfer admissions rep from each of them. Most colleges have a specific person or a couple of people in charge of transfer admissions who would be happy to talk to you about the process and financial aid and answer any questions you have. Also since the social atmosphere seems to be of concern try seeing if you can get in touch with students from the schools you're interested in and talk to them about what life is like outside of classes for them.

Thanks for the advice. Hmm...I guess I will look into transferring...see how much financial aid is available...but otherwise, I suppose I can always finish out undergrad here and go somewhere else for grad school.

I think it's important to be a part of not only an insitution of learning, but a COMMUNITY of learning and it seems to me that that is more or less what you are missing here. I say apply for scholarships to the school you most want to go to, work really hard to keep your grades up so that you can get them, and go for it!! College is supposed to be where you expand your mind and grow as a person, which you can't really do if no one is matching your level of intellectual interest or even challenging you.

Before a complete change, I'd maybe try to join a few clubs or groups- there may be individulas who share what you're feeling but you've not found them yet.

I think that the majority of stuff is good and if you transfer then you may not get all the good parts of what you're getting now.

Yeah...I'm still debating...I may just fill out an application for UChicago and see what happens between now and then. I'm willing to give it another semester, but I also don't want to wait too long and risk taking classes that may not transfer.

Archived